• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Someone asked earlier in this thread and I can't find it now. But to answer his/her question, Steam version will natively support 21:9 aspect ratio ultra wide monitor.

The demo will also offer a plethora of graphics tweak options that should allow it to support a wide range of PC configuration and visual preferences.

The demo will be released in about 45 minutes from now.

Edit: fixed typo.
YAAAAS

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I click the demo on psn, it says content not available. Restarted the ps4 , have ps+, not sure what's going on

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amazingly this was my first time ever playing RE2. The game initially came out while I had just graduated college and living life to the fullest, so I did not play it at the time.
I will no doubt be picking this up just based on the 30 minutes.

Anyone else play it using Atmos as the sound?
The only thing I noticed was on the XBox One X with Atmos chosen as the sound, the gun sound was really, really weak. It also seemed to happen a split second after actually shooting. I know this is a demo, and it said as much, but just wondering if anyone else with Atmos enabled noticed this issue or not?
With that said, I do have this very annoying issue where at random times my X will reset the sound settings, on reddit people believe it is a handshake issue, so I booted the demo up, realized it was not on Atmos, went into my audio settings while the game was still running and changed it, and never restarted the game. So I am wondering if that is why the gun sound was really pretty awful, or if that is just how the gun is supposed to normally sound?

That was just a super small thing and nowhere near enough to not make me pick the game up. So looking forward to playing this game for the first time. The only question is do I get it on release or wait to see if there is a price drop a few months after release. Money is pretty tight and I have a bunch of other games I am currently still playing. However truth is I doubt I will be able to wait and I will probably pick this up on Day 1, I am that excited to dive in and experience it for the first time.

Honestly. I just blame the demo. I did notice it too. Final version hopefully works better.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Said I wouldn't know if I enjoyed this game till I played the demo and now that I have, it's preordered. Have to assumed the demo isn't enhanced? That's what I'm going with.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it, where is the demo on PSN?

I downloaded it about 10 in the morning, fast, no problem.

Played it 3 times on 3 accounts. One more left for tomorrow.

Noticed the demo said I was offline on Japanese account, probably their downtime, later it let me play.

Btw. If anyone missed out like me - You can skip the cut scenes with options - square.

I didn't realise because ps1 cutscenes were unskipable originally. Facepalm.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Yep. It definitely is a great deal better than HDR but it's definitely not close to being pitch black. Even with TV (Q9FN) brightness lowered.

Very likely this demo isn't enhanced.
In SDR there are three brightness setting that you can adjust, turning the middle one all the way down will get you perfect blacks, then adjust the final one so that you're not crushing any detail, doing so on my OLED gets perfect blacks. Sadly you can't adjust the minimum brightness setting in HDR so looks like I'll be sticking with SDR for now on with regards to Resident Evil 2. It's a shame that Capcom keeps on releasing washed out HDR games.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Two questions that are probably stupid:

-Do you have to pre-order the game to get the demo?

-Is it out on Steam? I'm not seeing it.

Feb 10, 2018
In SDR there are three brightness setting that you can adjust, turning the middle one all the way down will get you perfect blacks, then adjust the final one so that you're not crushing any detail, doing so on my OLED gets perfect blacks. Sadly you can't adjust the minimum brightness setting in HDR so looks like I'll be sticking with SDR for now on with regards to Resident Evil 2. It's a shame that Capcom keeps on releasing washed out HDR games.

So you have to go against the brightness settings instructions?

---------------------------

Wait... You can only play this demo once per account?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Someone asked earlier in this thread and I can't find it now. But to answer his/her question, Steam version will natively support 21:9 aspect ratio ultra wide monitor.

The demo will also offer a plethora of graphics tweak options that should allow it to support a wide range of PC configuration and visual preferences.

You're the best

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was convinced Resi 2 RE is a Day One purchase long before this demo, but after actually playing it? It's Day ZERO, with a Steelbook.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
So you have to go against the brightness settings instructions?
No, the second setting is you adjusting the minimum brightness and it suggests that you put it as low as possible while still just being able to see the patterns. The first is the maximum brightness and you should put that as high as you can while still just being able to see the patterns. The final is the setting that you should adjust to make sure that you're not crushing any detail. Sadly none of these options are available in HDR.

Feb 10, 2018
No, the second setting is you adjusting the minimum brightness and it suggests that you put it as low as possible while still just being able to see the patterns. The first is the maximum brightness and you should put that as high as you can while still just being able to see the patterns. The final is the setting that you should adjust to make sure that you're not crushing any detail. Sadly none of these options are available in HDR.

Yeah I followed these instructions and the blacks still look washed out as shit.

Oct 26, 2017
It is "enhanced" but it is too blurry. Final version should look way better in Resolution Mode.

But that goes for performance mode too. It should look on par, or actually better than Pro. Which isn't there case here. Which is odd.

Ah yes, I didn't quit the demo when I turned HDR off in the Xbox settings, I multitasked that. So the game doesn't recognize that and still has the HDR option there.

I can't try it anymore though, demo is over.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Yeah I followed these instructions and the blacks still look washed out as shit.
Try putting the maximum brightness 5 up from the middle, the minimum darkness all the way down to zero, and then adjust the final setting so that you can clearly see the typewriter (or just leave it on default if you want a really dark image). Doing this should definitely fix your washed out blacks.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
https://store.steampowered.com/app/883710?snr=2_9_100006_100202_apphubheader

If you use the "Max" graphics preset or set options to a value that your PC spec does not support, you may encounter bugs. If this happens, please select the "Recommended" graphics preset.

If cutscenes stutter or if your display flickers, set HDR Mode to Off.

In other news, we are happy to announce that both the demo and full game supports 21:9 aspect ratio ultra wide monitors.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Wow, this demo totally sealed the deal for me. Superb art direction, the station has great atmosphere and is beautifully lit. The 30 min time limit is a silly decision as it doesn't let you appreciate all the small details.

Feb 10, 2018
Try putting the maximum brightness 5 up from the middle, the minimum darkness all the way down to zero, and then adjust the final setting so that you can clearly see the typewriter (or just leave it on default if you want a really dark image). Doing this should definitely fix your washed out blacks.

I will try when I get the game.
I've used my demo ration :(
I guess I could get it on my Pro lol

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

21:9 support is enough to swing me back to PC from the One X. Awesome.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Anyone know if the demo will be part of the full game download? Really don't feel like downloading a 7GB timed demo for a game I'll be playing in a week or so. Being part of the full download would be a nice incentive though.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
https://store.steampowered.com/app/883710?snr=2_9_100006_100202_apphubheader

If you use the "Max" graphics preset or set options to a value that your PC spec does not support, you may encounter bugs. If this happens, please select the "Recommended" graphics preset.

If cutscenes stutter or if your display flickers, set HDR Mode to Off.

In other news, we are happy to announce that both the demo and full game supports 21:9 aspect ratio ultra wide monitors.

WOW! Fantastic news!

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
But that goes for performance mode too. It should look on par, or actually better than Pro. Which isn't there case here. Which is odd.

Ah yes, I didn't quit the demo when I turned HDR off in the Xbox settings, I multitasked that. So the game doesn't recognize that and still has the HDR option there.

I can't try it anymore though, demo is over.
I have a Pro and an X and one thing I noticed with this game and Red Dead Redemption 2 (both having a rather disappointing HDR implementation) is that on the Pro it allows me to turn off the HDR in-game so that I don't have to use the console menu. Microsoft must have some type of regulation or something not allowing developers to have an in-game HDR setting. I haven't played a single Xbox game that has allowed me to turn off HDR from the in-game menu.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Played it yesterday at my friends on his OLED via X1X AUS account. Game looked great!! Seems like a good mix of RE2 and 4.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
If it's indeed not a enhanced demo, I find it looking pretty damn impressive for a Xbox One game. 60fps (locked pretty much) and not nearly as blurry as you would expect from 900p.
Remember that you're playing it on an X. OG XB1 and S drop to their 40s, PS4 bade down to 50s, while the X of course runs the 900p with fairly little issues at 60.

Very strange not to have an enhanced demo though.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
The size of the demo, the date of the build and the release on PC all point to this being old and separated from the main game in terms of the source code since going by how DMCV demo is not going to come out on pc, I think capcom doesn't fear datamining from this, so I guess there's nothing to datamine that you can't find just by playing the demo.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Very stupid question, is the 30 min timer start when you start the game on steam or when you can actually move the characters?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
The size of the demo, the date of the build and the release on PC all point to this being old and separated from the main game in terms of the source code since going by how DMCV demo is not going to come out on pc, I think capcom doesn't fear datamining from this, so I guess there's nothing to datamine that you can't find just by playing the demo.

I'd imagine you're correct because the SSR reflections that are completely broken match the E3 footage IIRC.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Yes, why the fuck is this not on US PSN yet. I stayed up till 1am last night hoping they would put it up after midnight and its STILL not up. Damn you grace chen time!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah but even still. Say Pro and X are both running in the 1080/60 mode, there's no reason the X should look like a vaseline smeared mess. It should look identical. I'm hoping that it's just the base versions that were released in the demo with no X or Pro enhancements. It would allow for better framerates on the Pro/X consoles, but the resolution would be scaled. So if it's 900P on base xbox, and 1080 on base PS4, that would explain the added clarity of the PS4.
Final version will be X enhanced, it's on the list: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list