• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the way the zombies just drop dead like a real body is great. None of that silly ragdoll effect.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
at the moment, RE2 is #1 at top-selling games list on Steam

vIbhpfc.png

I guess demo works.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The game really plays like a dream. We can raise the FOV and even deactivate the annoying grain filter in the options thank god.

My only complaint on this demo: the limited inventory which already was a problem here. That's (still) really bad game design.
PS4 PRO fps impressions? Do they let you pick between 30/60 modes in demo? Is 60 mode fluctuating?
It's mostly 60fps. There are some drops here and there in some places (and this is an old demo so they could improve things) but not enough to warrant a 30fps option (and you don't have the option). With the responsive controls and camera, the 60fps feels so good.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'd have called it 2-Short rather than 1-Shot, to be honest. I finished it in 26 minutes according to the results screen but I had to go fast and left rooms unexplored and zombis unkilled and photos undone and around unfucked, generally. And I really hate leaving arounds unfucked.

Was left wanting to play much more even in that tiny space, so, yeah, 2-Short demo. Fuck the time limit and fuck having to start again with another account.

I wish I could rate it on psn but as it's free you can't rate it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just finished my 30 minutes on Xbox One X and LOVED it. Got bit a couple of times and took my time exploring, so I didn't "beat" the demo, but I didn't die at all, either.

Gonna try to beat it on PS4 Pro later on tonight, and can't wait until the final game -- it's shaping up to be pretty much exactly what I want. :)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Something I've never liked in this franchise either.

So how do you suggest they change it then, since it would all be relative in the end anyway? The limited ammo had a function. If you make zombies take even less hits, the ammo count would need to be adjusted to compensate. In the original game on Normal, they only typically took three shots with the hand gun, sometimes two if you also used the knife, or got a lucky crit. The shotgun could take out groups with one shot. On top of that, the tension is greatly lessened if you always know that it's only going to take one or two shots per enemy, and you have very little reason to bother running past them.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
The only thing I don't like about the demo is that all those things that you can interact with or pick up are highlighted with the "A" (or X) icon. Not only does it give you an immediate hint on what's important in the room, it also makes exploration and checking anything else kind of obsolete. It kind of worked in RE7, since it was an FPS so you had a limited field of view. In a tpp game you can see everything around your character in an instant.

I hope there will be an option to disable the "A" icon, or at least make it so it only appears when you're very close to the object.

Something I've never liked in this franchise either.

Well, they are zombies after all. They should be hard to kill. With zombies you have two ways of making them dangerous: make them hard to kill, or make them overwhelm you with their number.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
god damnit my game crashed when i picked up the spade key and it saved my time used up

also has anyone mentioned that the game has the critical shot/pot shot mechanic from re:outbreak where if you stand still your bullets do insanely high damage and have a crazy high crit rate? it makes zombies and resource management really trivial

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo on PS4 Pro with 5 minutes to spare. I didn't really do much towards the end because I didn't realize I still had a bit of time left. Controls felt great, and the demo looked phenomenal.

Now to run through it again on the 1X.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think I spent too much time looking around - went to go upstairs before it timed out. Love the trailer that you get.

Cool thing on PS4 is that the light colour from the control pad reflects your level of damage! Reminds me a little of the VMU usage in the Dreamcast port :)

The Spyro Trilogy does this too lol. I was shocked that the light bar was yellow, and not purple like you'd expect for Spyro, until I took damage and it changed the same colour as Sparx (your health indicator dragonfly).

I didn't notice it change here, but I was wondering why green was the default.

Anyway, I had a hell of a lot of fun with this. is it close to the original at all, other than Leon being in a police station, or is it more of a reboot? I've had the original for years, but I never got round to playing past the opening few minutes, and I was thinking whether I should do that first.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Gore looks awesome, love how when you shotgun a zombie in two the upper half continues to crawl towards and attack, so good.
a8BNNys.gif

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
My only experience with the franchise is with REmake and RE4, but I really enjoyed this demo. No nostalgia here for RE2.

I like that it is unpredictable how many bullets it takes to kill a zombie--found myself only making sure they were finished off when I didn't want them following me into dead end rooms. My biggest complaint is I didn't feel any stress in terms of ammo or inventory management, though this was only a very small slice of the game.

Definitely hyped.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Demo ended for me right as I unlocked the door with the spade key and viewed the cinematic. Thought it was a well timed moment to close the demo out but based on the screenshots I'm seeing there's more to it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Man that 30 mins flies by but holy shit, the game is every bit as good as I had hoped it would be and more. RE2 is one of my all time favourite games and Capcom have absolutely nailed it with this remake, bravo.

It looked great on my 4k Sony Bravia, HDR seemed fine, the RPD has never looked so good and atmospheric. Played on Pro and it all felt smooth, no noticeable framerate issues or judder that I noticed and I didn't really notice the jaggies when playing, so it's not as bad in motion, compared to screenshots, so that's good to see.

The zombies look fantastic, the gore is off the chart, in the best possible way and the shooting feels spot on, I'm falling in love with RE2 all over again.

This is definitely going to be one of the best games of 2019 and it's going to be on my GOTY list. Bring on launch day.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Gore looks awesome, love how when you shotgun a zombie in two the upper half continues to crawl towards and attack, so good.
a8BNNys.gif

They weren't joking when they said that they wanted to go for the goriest game ever. That's pretty gross, and probably the closest depiction of undead dismemberment seen in films or TV I've seen in a video game yet.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Now I just want to see Mr X. pick up a zombie in his way and just rip him in half.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Not sure if I like these super dark areas. They beautifully recreated the police station only to obscure so much of it?

Really hope you turn the lights back on at some point.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
a8BNNys.gif
Hot fucking DAMN! that looks amazing, I'm holding playing the demo as the game is so close and I hate playing bits that I'll eventually get round to playing later on but boy between this and DMCV capcom might be my fave publisher of 2019

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I feel really dumb. I got the lion medallion and the pathway started to open, but I don't see what else I can interact with at this point and all the doors seem locked.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's alright. I know I will like the (known) puzzle/adventure aspects which similar action games usually miss but overall I'm not blown away.

Currently I'm LTTPing Dead Space 2 and honestly, I think that game often looks better than RE2 (obviously minus the faces and general character model complexity).

With RE2 I especially don't like how washed out the blacks look in full-on dark areas. It's borderline irritating. Jumped back into DS2 right after finishing the demo and lighting looks so much better there (even though it's obviously technically simpler).

Also, the weapon sound design is pretty weak.

Edit: played the demo on PS4 Pro

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll go PC over PS4 pro after the demo, just feels great to play in 60 fps.

Got 2 medallions on that run although somehow missed the shotgun again. How long after the keycard is it? Which floor?

Aiming is interesting, it seems you have to not move at all after firing to regain accuracy, then you can swing about as much as you like.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint on this demo: the limited inventory which already was a problem here. That's (still) really bad game design.

I don't think it'll be so bad. Like judging from this demo you'll have a whole loop on the west side opened up quite quickly, so once you get the library door unlocked you'll have the item box nearby. You would just be able to dump all the garbage, run back in and pick the rest and job's done.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Great demo. Over too fast. I don't like the canned "zombie biting you" animation that happens every time (yeah, yeah, don't get bit), but I'm otherwise pretty sure I'll be there day one. Some of the gore is truly stomach-churningly gnarly.