• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Is it just me or is the knife really OP? Other than that this has hyped me up beyond words, excellent first impressions.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I'm trying to play the demo on PC but it's too dark. I'm not exagerating when I say it's literally a black screen. I followed the instructions on the brightness setup and it's too dark, I tried maxing out all the brightness sliders and I barely see anything still (and it's very washed out). Am I missing something? I get it should be dark but no pitch black...

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think I'll go PC over PS4 pro after the demo, just feels great to play in 60 fps.

Got 2 medallions on that run although somehow missed the shotgun again. How long after the keycard is it? Which floor?

Aiming is interesting, it seems you have to not move at all after firing to regain accuracy, then you can swing about as much as you like.
You must have missed the weapon locker room. It's a brightly lit optional room.

I didn't find any medallions but got the shotgun and played with it for a while.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has already been answered but: if I suspend the game by going to the PS4 home screen and let the game keep running, will the countdown clock keep going in the background? Or will it pause?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Only Resident Evil can make zombie fun again, seeing that gif made me realize just how much I actually like zombies.

Shame, zombies are literally ruined by boring, bland video games. Even Days Gone zombies looks boring to me, they just don't feel like dead people at all.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Some ultra wide pics from the PC version.

CfU7pQw.jpg

SZLTd66.jpg

QG6T5kf.jpg

uFMhEmu.jpg

Tve7cjo.jpg

ToE144j.jpg

i6aU9LW.jpg
What settings was that running at? Graphics options? Did you have grain and all the rest turned off? CA turned off? Motion blur etc?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Sorry if this has already been answered but: if I suspend the game by going to the PS4 home screen and let the game keep running, will the countdown clock keep going in the background? Or will it pause?

I think it pauses but can't confirm 100% as I am on PC but I know going to the options menu on PC pauses the timer.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's alright. I know I will like the (known) puzzle/adventure aspects which similar action games usually miss but overall I'm not blown away.

Currently I'm LTTPing Dead Space 2 and honestly, I think that game often looks better than RE2 (obviously minus the faces and general character model complexity).

With RE2 I especially don't like how washed out the blacks look in full-on dark areas. It's borderline irritating. Jumped back into DS2 right after finishing the demo and lighting looks so much better there (even though it's obviously technically simpler).

Also, the weapon sound design is pretty weak.

Edit: played the demo on PS4 Pro

I don't know what's causing the black level problems, but it doesn't seem consistent across platforms. Also, RE7 had some really nasty gamma problems that took a while to fix. If you had selected HDR, but at any point decided to turn it off, you were fucked for SDR. Everything was at like gamma 1.0 or some shit, and you couldn't fix it without uninstalling it entirely.

But anyway, Dead Space, and Dead Space 2 were my "Resident Evils" of last gen, and all I am hoping for is that this game is as memorable as those are. I expect that it will be.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What's the best sound setup for headphones ? Small or Large Dynamic Range ? Dolby Atmos or Headphone setting ?

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Had problems as with Yakuza 0 where the game just freezes for a couple of seconds occasionally. Apart from that it was fun, reached the end in 21 mins. Just hope the full version wont have those hickups.

Jun 10, 2018
Finished playing the 30 minutes. Did a no damage run through, didn't actually "finish" it. Went through every floor and room I could before getting to the Library room and that is when my time is up. I think the Hip Pouches will actually add more challenge to the game (don't remember if RE2 had hip pouches or the traditional backpacks). Found one on the second floor and seen another locked in the weapons locker. Got the shotgun as well :). The sounds in the game are crazy especially in Dolby Atmos.

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit, this game has the same problem that seemingly every third person horror game has nowadays.

The reticle and the direction the gun is pointing being misaligned. Drives me up the fucking walls.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit, this game has the same problem that seemingly every third person horror game has nowadays.

The reticle and the direction the gun is pointing being misaligned. Drives me up the fucking walls.

As someone who fires guns, it drives me up the wall. The demo is great, and a lot better than expected. Some issues of presentation and polish are needed, but I can grudgingly live with the perspective change.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, survival horror games with combat. That's the "survival" part of survival horror.

Plenty of horror games let you fight and expect you to kill whatever monsters there are. Dead Space 1/2, Resident Evil 7, even the god father of horror games: the original Alone in the Dark (DOS 1992) worked that way. Scary as hell back then, rare ammunition, plenty of puzzles, tank controls, hard as hell but killing of enemies was part of the gameplay. RE 1 always reminded me of Alone in the Dark tbh.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of horror games let you fight and expect you to kill whatever monsters there are. Dead Space 1/2, Resident Evil 7, even the god father of horror games: the original Alone in the Dark (DOS 1992) worked that way. Scary as hell back then, rare ammunition, plenty of puzzles, tank controls, hard as hell but killing of enemies was part of the gameplay. RE 1 always reminded me of Alone in the Dark tbh.
You're not expected to run past all of them, but you're encouraged to conserve ammo if you don't need to actually kill the zombie. If you're in an open area that you can easily maneuver, killing a zombie gets you nothing and then you might not have ammo for a zombie blocking a corridor that you have to deal with.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What settings was that running at? Graphics options? Did you have grain and all the rest turned off? CA turned off? Motion blur etc?

Basically everything at MAX (except textures, which were at High 2) and all the post-processing on. At 3440x1440 it ran at "60" but it wasn't perfectly smooth, with some hiccups here and there. This was on a GTX1080.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think the Hip Pouches will actually add more challenge to the game (don't remember if RE2 had hip pouches or the traditional backpacks).

Hip Pouches were in the Original. You had the option to have leon take it in his playthrough or let Claire take when you zap to her playthrough and vice versa. Not sure how it will work in this one, but i'm thinking it might be the same thing even though they claim that there's no longer a scenario A/B for each character now.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
What else? Run past them?

stand still and wait for a dot to appear on the aiming cursor
this enables you to kill zombies in 1-3 hits, it's the 'potshot'/'critical hit' mechanic from re:outbreak and probably meant to simulate re4/5 standing still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT9P7MQI6NQ

the critical hit chance is still there on reg shots but it's much, much higher on potshots

you have more than enough ammo to blaze through every single enemy

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Inventory management is inherently bad game design then? It's been a part of classic RE forever.

Glad it came back tbh.
Inventory management didn't go away with action RE though, it just changed to accommodate them, even in its most action form in RE6 you still had to manage inventory. I think there's room to even argue that RE6 has the most annoying inventory management in the series after RE0 lol, that fucking awful plants system.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ok i do not like that fact we only have 30 mins to play, i just got the to top floor and i have less then 3 mins left.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
stand still and wait for a dot to appear on the aiming cursor
this enables you to kill zombies in 1-3 hits, it's the 'potshot'/'critical hit' mechanic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT9P7MQI6NQ

the critical hit chance is still there on reg shots but it's much, much higher on potshots

you have more than enough ammo to blaze through every single enemy

I was wondering what that was. I like it. Encourages patience in tense situations. Also reminds me of RE: Outbreak where Kevin and Alyssa had that mechanic as well.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. To Deluxe version or not to deluxe. That is the question.

While the Noir costume sounds cool enough and so does the alternate gun, the costumes and gun are not enough for me to say the $10 is worth it.
So just trying to decide if it is worth $10 to be able to swap to the original soundtrack.

Any RE2 veterans have an opinion on the original soundtrack and is it a must experience for the extra $10?
I can say to me, especially in a survival horror game, the sound is just as important as everything else.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really going to kill developers to put a chromatic aberration and lens distortion toggle in the console versions of games instead of forcing them on?

I abhor those awful post processing filters that literally degrade/discolor the image and can cause eye strain. They should be an option.

Granted, it's not Bloodborne level of terrible here, but how hard is it to carry over one more toggle? This is all fluff and it's not like the user has to tweak all sorts of settings for performance. Heck, the PC version has a nice little image showing exactly what it does. Why not just include that? It's so frustrating.

God bless insomniac for allowing such toggles in Spider-Man. Wish other developers were just as thoughtful. They need to talk to Capcom, Namco and a bunch of other developers.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. To Deluxe version or not to deluxe. That is the question.

While the Noir costume sounds cool enough and so does the alternate gun, the costumes and gun are not enough for me to say the $10 is worth it.
So just trying to decide if it is worth $10 to be able to swap to the original soundtrack.

Any RE2 veterans have an opinion on the original soundtrack and is it a must experience for the extra $10?
I can say to me, especially in a survival horror game, the sound is just as important as everything else.

Hearing the main hallway theme is easily worth the $10 to me. Nostalgia goosebumps.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
This feels like it's gonna be the GoW of the RE series as far as making a successful re imagined game in the series. The gameplay, and the interaction with Marvin was great. The production value was superb. The graphics were great as well(Pro) outside a couple blurry spots during cutscenes. Definetely not gonna judge how it looks on an e3 build demo that was running 1080p 60 fps. This game is gonna be big.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Ps4 pro sounded like rocket but besides that thoroughly enjoyed that demo. It was pretty scary though... Not sure if I'll be able to play it

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Not really a fan how random zombie health seems to be. Or maybe how random damage seems to be, I don't know, but perfectly aimed headshots can sometimes still take 6-7 bullets to kill a simple zombie and I'm not a fan of that. I know its a survival horror game, I know you aren't meant to kill everything in this game particular, but this is just a bit too much for me, especailly as I haven't really played the original game. Ran out of time before I could finish the demo as well, because, well, I didn't really know where I had to go. i got 2 emblems before I got booted out the game. So lame.