• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
They should really let you disable chromatic aberration on consoles. It is completely hurting image quality.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Did the original RE2 have an item box or no? Honestly can't recall for the life of me. Or are we supposed to drop items on the spot and pick them up when needed?

Oct 28, 2017
Oof. RE2 has that thing I hate. Decided to test out the death animation. It's really good! But then it happened. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SWITCH TO EASY MODE?!

After 1 death. A death that was on purpose. That's gonna annoy me if that's still in the final game.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Genuine question though, does anybody think that the knife is overpowered?

I honestly ran through the demo (on a second steam account and only used the knife after I got it and managed to kill every Z no sweat.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
They should really let you disable chromatic aberration on consoles. It is completely hurting image quality.

They don't allow that on console? Sorry to hear that man, CA should never be in games as far as I am concerned, the only game it ever worked for was Alien Isolation and that's because it actually was in fitting with the aesthetic.

I don't know why developers are insistent on putting in what is essentially a lens fault as an effect.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Only Resident Evil can make zombie fun again, seeing that gif made me realize just how much I actually like zombies.

Shame, zombies are literally ruined by boring, bland video games. Even Days Gone zombies looks boring to me, they just don't feel like dead people at all.
Days Gone isn't trying for dead people. In fact they are going for the opposite which is to make them more alive like living animals that eat/drink, sleep and even create nests.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
There`s an item that adds two extra-spaces to your inventory….
Yes, I found it. The problem is that I found it just after being forced to ditch stuff. There is going to be some lost time managing stuff and going back to the store.
Sorry if this has already been answered but: if I suspend the game by going to the PS4 home screen and let the game keep running, will the countdown clock keep going in the background? Or will it pause?
I think it will keep going. in doubt do like me: press home and open Spotify which will suspend the game and will pause the time.

Is it really going to kill developers to put a chromatic aberration and lens distortion toggle in the console versions of games instead of forcing them on?

I abhor those awful post processing filters that literally degrade/discolor the image and can cause eye strain. They should be an option.

Granted, it's not Bloodborne level of terrible here, but how hard is it to carry over one more toggle? This is all fluff and it's not like the user has to tweak all sorts of settings for performance. Heck, the PC version has a nice little image showing exactly what it does. Why not just include that? It's so frustrating.

God bless insomniac for allowing such toggles in Spider-Man. Wish other developers were just as thoughtful. They need to talk to Capcom, Namco and a bunch of other developers.
Try deactivating the grain filter, I think it'll help by cleaning up the image.

Oct 25, 2017
Phew!

Completed it at 25 minutes or something. I feel like they made this demo to be completed in a reasonable time-frame and there is a *ton* of health and ammo lying around, so I didn't really feel challenged by it. But man, it is a ton of fun; I think RE2 is going to be a huge hit if the demo is anything to go by.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So reading this thread, as someone who has an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, it sounds like maybe the PS4 version is the one to go with since it's a bit sharper despite some rougher edges? Or has that general consensus changed to the other way now?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Damn. To Deluxe version or not to deluxe. That is the question.

While the Noir costume sounds cool enough and so does the alternate gun, the costumes and gun are not enough for me to say the $10 is worth it.
So just trying to decide if it is worth $10 to be able to swap to the original soundtrack.

Any RE2 veterans have an opinion on the original soundtrack and is it a must experience for the extra $10?
I can say to me, especially in a survival horror game, the sound is just as important as everything else.

Yes, honestly the original soundtrack is imperative (from what I have played so far) and even if it wasn't, I would still recommend it as honestly it's probably the best soundtrack I have ever heard in a video game.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Not really a fan how random zombie health seems to be. Or maybe how random damage seems to be, I don't know, but perfectly aimed headshots can sometimes still take 6-7 bullets to kill a simple zombie and I'm not a fan of that. I know its a survival horror game, I know you aren't meant to kill everything in this game particular, but this is just a bit too much for me, especailly as I haven't really played the original game. Ran out of time before I could finish the demo as well, because, well, I didn't really know where I had to go. i got 2 emblems before I got booted out the game. So lame.
I haven't played the original game but I don't think killing zombies is the goal.

I think the goal is to immobilize the zombies rather than kill them.

Killing them seems like a waste of ammo vs shooting off a leg or two.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
So reading this thread, as someone who has an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, it sounds like maybe the PS4 version is the one to go with since it's a bit sharper despite some rougher edges? Or has that general consensus changed to the other way now?
If things stay like in this demo, Pro is the way to go. XBX version is very, very blurry like if they added a very strong TXAA or FXAA effect. But if you have both consoles you should try both versions. Some people who played both in this thread preferred the sharper image on Pro though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If things stay like in this demo, Pro is the way to go. XBX version is very, very blurry like if they added a very strong TXAA or FXAA effect. But if you have both consoles you should try both versions. Some people who played both in this thread preferred the sharper image on Pro though.

I plan on trying both this weekend, but the one "problem" will be that I currently have the X on a 110" projected screen, and the Pro on a 50" Plasma. I won't have time to move the Pro to the projector setup so it won't be the best way to compare.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm in love with it.

Amazing sound, tight controls, and a wonderful sense of location. I love the fact I can board up windows.

My only issue is the shutter speed/motion blur. The game feels 60fps, but it looks like the shutter isn't 1/120, so it's a little blurry for my tastes.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gore looks awesome, love how when you shotgun a zombie in two the upper half continues to crawl towards and attack, so good.
a8BNNys.gif
Oof

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not really a fan how random zombie health seems to be. Or maybe how random damage seems to be, I don't know, but perfectly aimed headshots can sometimes still take 6-7 bullets to kill a simple zombie and I'm not a fan of that. I know its a survival horror game, I know you aren't meant to kill everything in this game particular, but this is just a bit too much for me, especailly as I haven't really played the original game. Ran out of time before I could finish the demo as well, because, well, I didn't really know where I had to go. i got 2 emblems before I got booted out the game. So lame.
I noticed this as well. i understand it though. Considering that these will be the main enemies in the game, makes sense to make them challenging to this extent considering how you have much greater aim/control.

It was mentioned that there's a potshot/critcal shot mechanic if you wait for your crosshair to get a dot in the middle(crosshair needs to stay still). I did notice that takes zombies down more in its traditional tempo. I like the compromise considering the camera view change.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Did the original RE2 have an item box or no? Honestly can't recall for the life of me. Or are we supposed to drop items on the spot and pick them up when needed?
Yes, it did. You couldn't ditch stuff on the ground in OG. You can here though?

Also, is this up on the NA store yet. I want to download and then have serious thoughts about maybe playing it or not.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

All of them up until RE4 had an item box. In RE4 you just ended up carrying it with you. You also couldn't simply drop items in the original games.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Genuine question though, does anybody think that the knife is overpowered?

I honestly ran through the demo (on a second steam account and only used the knife after I got it and managed to kill every Z no sweat.
Hard to say by the demo, but it seems pretty fair having a durability and that you have to pick it up after every defensive attack. I think i'll try that out when i play the demo again.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, honestly the original soundtrack is imperative (from what I have played so far) and even if it wasn't, I would still recommend it as honestly it's probably the best soundtrack I have ever heard in a video game.
This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. With a glowing recommendation like this, there is no way I can pass it up. Thank you.
Now to see if I prefer the Pro or X version. Downloading Pro now.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd add, comparing the two back and forth, the X does have some benefits and is clearly higher resolution which you can tell when standing at the opposite end of a room and look at the detail on a door for example - you can see more detail on the X but jaggies on the Pro. The Pro also exhibits lots of aliasing and more artefacts on the screen space reflections. But the overly-aggressive anti-aliasing on the X, whilst leaving the image jaggy-free, does make it look far too soft in comparison. I'd still take the X version though as personally I prefer that soft to look to the jaggies and artefacting on Pro, but it's whatever you prefer. Hopefully they'll improve the anti-aliasing on the Pro and lower it on the X, for the final product.

But "very, very blurry" is every bit as much nonsense as those who said RDR2 was very blurry on the Pro. It's soft, sure, but it's not "very, very blurry"!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

wasn't the consensus that the xbox one x version isn't the X enchanced version? I did notice this effect (similar to Halo 5 on standard Xbox ones) where zombies' frame rates slow down when you're further away on PS4 pro so far. I forgot the term for it but it stood out for me at a few moments. Will check the xbox version to see if it's present there as well.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
It's okay, just typical RE. Hype is overblown like usual and since it's a remake I'm saying no to whoever says it's Game of the Year worthy tbh.

I think the love for it is clearly based in nostalgia, which is completely fine, but people need to say that it's nostalgia and not give seemingly unbaised declarations of why they love it.
I'm not sure what you mean, besides RE7 we haven't had a "typical" RE in over 15 years

By "typical" RE I mean we have level design based on exploration and making decisions of going into a risky area and making sure you're prepared. Not to mention the slower pace and horror aspects.

When RE4-6 and the Revelations games did this it only felt like it was paying lip-service to that sort of design, not actually having it in its heart

Yes, I do have nostalgia for RE2, but it's still a fresh take on a classic concept and scenario

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the demo on PC... and holy f. This gotta be the best remake ever made. Some details are just insane and the atmosphere is so terrifying.

Capcom is on fire rn!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'd add, comparing the two back and forth, the X does have some benefits and is clearly higher resolution which you can tell when standing at the opposite end of a room and look at the detail on a door for example - you can see more detail on the X but jaggies on the Pro. The Pro also exhibits lots of aliasing and more artefacts on the screen space reflections. But the overly-aggressive anti-aliasing on the X, whilst leaving the image jaggy-free, does make it look far too soft in comparison. I'd still take the X version though as personally I prefer that soft to look to the jaggies and artefacting on Pro, but it's whatever you prefer. Hopefully they'll improve the anti-aliasing on the Pro and lower it on the X, for the final product.

But "very, very blurry" is every bit as much nonsense as those who said RDR2 was very blurry on the Pro. It's soft, sure, but it's not "very, very blurry"!

It's not nonsense at all. It's distractingly blurry. I loved RDR2 on X and it looked great. This has Vaseline smeared on it.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's okay, just typical RE. Hype is overblown like usual and since it's a remake I'm saying no to whoever says it's Game of the Year worthy tbh.

I think the love for it is clearly based in nostalgia, which is completely fine, but people need to say that it's nostalgia and not give seemingly unbaised declarations of why they love it.

Even not mark and remake. It is still a good game. Your comment is fill of negativity and clearly bashing people who love this game for no reason. Does it matter if people like it for nostalgia. This is a game made for fan. Not a official review. Every single game fan base will always have bias opinion just because they like it. Simple as that. Have some fun in life dude.

Oct 25, 2017
RE: Pro vs. X. I'm going to wait until digital foundry does an analysis of review copies. I just find it hard to believe that this demo build is close to the build we'll get at launch given all the graphical issues.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have the chance, do yourself a favour and play this game on a platform where it runs at 60 fps, the difference is HUGE. I've tryed the demo on my og ps4 and I felt like I was going to puke, cause of the motion sickness. Thank God I've a good PC.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possible unpopular opinion coming, Resident Evil is better in first person.

Going back to this after RE7 is hard.

Character movement just feels weird as well.

Deleted member 13642

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would sacrifice some realism to be able to tell when zombies were completely dead, and would definitely sacrifice some knife power to not have it be breakable. those two issues aside,

this is probably the greatest demo I've played in my life. This is a perfect zombie game, in atmosphere, gunplay, scares, gore, all of it, pitch perfect. Just fucking floored by this thing. I SCREAMED when I saw the lobby, grown man just hollering about a video game. It looks amazing. I had this shit preordered last year and man I don't regret that one iota. Cannot WAIT to get into this thing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly sure but I heard the enhanced consoles have two modes, a 60fps mode and a 4k/30fps mode. With the base consoles trying to target 60fps but fluctuating more between 30-60fps but maybe it has improved in the main game as this demo is from an older build or maybe they will end up just locking base consoles at 30. So this game uses the RE Engine, which has a very heavy Post processing pipeline. So it makes it harder to tell the resolution compared to other games and makes the IQ of the game much more blurry. I think the only way to get over this issue as much as possible is to either play the higher res mode when the game comes out or the PC version. That is all I know at least. I hope this helps.

Late reply here but yeah I think after playing the demo on PC it's clear the lower res/60 fps mode is the primary culprit for IQ issues, it looks much nicer to my eyes with actually being able to change the resolution. Also turning the film grain off I think helped as well. Curious that they give you the entire suite of graphics options to tinker with on the PC demo but no choice to switch to the quality/4k mode on X and Pro. Might need to wait for a DF comparison video between the different skus to determine which platform to get it on now.

Nov 13, 2017
I would sacrifice some realism to be able to tell when zombies were completely dead, and would definitely sacrifice some knife power to not have it be breakable. those two issues aside,

this is probably the greatest demo I've played in my life. This is a perfect zombie game, in atmosphere, gunplay, scares, gore, all of it, pitch perfect. Just fucking floored by this thing. I SCREAMED when I saw the lobby, grown man just hollering about a video game. It looks amazing. I had this shit preordered last year and man I don't regret that one iota. Cannot WAIT to get into this thing.

Could burn zombies in the original RE2 like you can in RE1? That's how I always made sure they were dead.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm definitely buying RES2 now, played almost an hour of it and deleted it. I didn't even finish the demo.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I loved it! It felt so tense and just after Elliot dies and the zombie bursts into the door I legit panicked and just ran for it. Had flashbacks of the REs of old when it was often wiser just to run than stand and fight. Two weeks seems so far away now!