• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
It baffles me seeing complaints for "spongy enemies" and inventory management as negatives in a RE game lol. Please play RE1, 2, 3, 0, CV.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Could burn zombies in the original RE2 like you can in RE1? That's how I always made sure they were dead.

No. In the original RE2, you knew they were dead if a) their heads exploded or b) a pool of blood formed underneath them. There wasn't any burning involved. That also didn't happen in the original RE either, that was REmake.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is everything, it's perfect and runs like a dream on my pc. I'm satisfied with my 30 minutes

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time I've ever played Resident Evil 2 in any form. That was terrifying. Atmosphere is on point, graphics and performance are great too thanks to the RE Engine. I loved the inventory management and with it the interactivity of the environment.

I'm hooked and I'll buy the full game

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
YdyMirx.gif

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I didn't finish in 30 minutes but I expected that, I always look around too much and move slowly in these games. Very happy with what I played, the 25th can't come soon enough.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Any consensus on best graphics settings for PC?

I had to turn off the TAA (in FXAA+TAA) because the blurring was so bad, but SMAA had even more AA shimmering than FXAA so I stuck with the latter.

Something still felt a little off about the look, with and without film grain, but I think I'll just play the full game for a bit and see if it's just me.

Game takes up a lot of VRAM, and that's with 6GB, and I might only barely be able to use 2GB of textures, assuming the VRAM usage doesn't spike.

I think HBAO+ is supposed to be best for Nvidia GPUs, even though that wasn't what the game recommended.

Lowest mouse sensitivity was pretty high still; it was like Warframe all over.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts after my first playthrough

• Game is a looker despite the old build showing through. I think we've seen cleaner footage since, so not worried about what was there.
  • Shooting seemed a bit underwhelming in it's presentation. The effects of the damage dealt are great, but there's no oomph in the feedback on the players end. Hopefully the final game has a bit more going for it.
  • The audio seemed a bit off/muffled, which may be why the guns seemed lackluster. If it weren't for subtitles on, a few lines would have been lost.
  • I sort of tuned it out by the end, but the lack of true black levels was noticeable. Another point I hope has been sorted in the final release.
  • Love the zombies in this one. The designs are unsettling and they pose more of a threat than most of the games. Part of it is their hardiness, but they have a presence in the room that I haven't seen outside of REmake.
  • I will concede though that they aren't too hard to deal with in pairs or alone. 4-5 shots to the leg will keep them from being much of an issue as they slowly pull themselves across the ground. Of course, they game will have nastier creatures to deal with and shooting may not be wise later on...
  • Big plus in having items not picked up appear on maps
  • This RPD has already won my heart over the original.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
The demo blew me away. Physically. Because the standard PS4 fans generated a wind tunnel.

I do hope they calm down in the full game.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On PC, should I play with M+KB or controller? 4 is designed with the controller in mind and the encounters are tense because you don't have the precise aiming a mouse offers. Does this have the same design principles?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Game is GORGEOUS.

I feel like we're super close to having game characters look photo realistic.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I had to turn off the TAA (in FXAA+TAA) because the blurring was so bad, but SMAA had even more AA shimmering than FXAA so I stuck with the latter.

Something still felt a little off about the look, with and without film grain, but I think I'll just play the full game for a bit and see if it's just me.

Game takes up a lot of VRAM, and that's with 6GB, and I might only barely be able to use 2GB of textures, assuming the VRAM usage doesn't spike.

I think HBAO+ is supposed to be best for Nvidia GPUs, even though that wasn't what the game recommended.

something is up with the texture thing, you're probably fine setting it to 8gb

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah, holy shit.

By the way I played the demo on PC and it was much smoother compared to the base PS4 demo. Still, this game man. Oh boy.

Strange thing that happened; when I got the shotgun from the weaponslocker and after the cop zombie comes in, a second zombie stumbles in. The fat zombie from earlier in the hall followed me.

I wonder if this is flawed A.I. or that zombies can have different behaviour patterns during playthroughs? Would make the game different every time around.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Anyone kind of underwhelmed by the graphics? I'm playing the demo maxed out on PC, but somehow I'm remembering RE7 on PS4 looking better...

I still hope there's a secret fixed camera mode.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
On PC, should I play with M+KB or controller? 4 is designed with the controller in mind and the encounters are tense because you don't have the precise aiming a mouse offers. Does this have the same design principles?

Haven't played the demo yet but I played RE7 on PC with M+KB and I think it was less scary than intended because I could headshot everything pretty easily even though the aiming was intentionally clunky.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
The demo blew me away. Physically. Because the standard PS4 fans generated a wind tunnel.

FWIW, a PS4 is very easy to clean; you only have to unscrew something like three screws and remove the bottom piece to access your fans. Mine still got a bit loud playing a Blu-ray the other day despite me cleaning it somewhat recently, however.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im so excited for this, I've only ever played Resident Evil 4 and am playing through the HD remake of the first one right now so I can follow the story better. So far in my limited experience with the series, I think I'm in love.

Dec 9, 2017
Yeah, holy shit.

By the way I played the demo on PC and it was much smoother compared to the base PS4 demo. Still, this game man. Oh boy.

Strange thing that happened; when I got the shotgun from the weaponslocker and after the cop zombie comes in, a second zombie stumbles in. The fat zombie from earlier in the hall followed me.

I wonder if this is flawed A.I. or that zombies can have different behaviour patterns during playthroughs? Would make the game different every time around.
How are the visuals on PC compared to PS4?
I love the way it looks on Pro, but is PC a giant leap?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I gotta say, I had a bit of a dumb laugh at myself when I met the first zombie cause I immediately shot it in the head and then ran up to it to punch it/suplex it while it was staggered. Then it bit me haha
I was brainwashed by the last few REs lol

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018

Alright, I found the performance thread, and the fix to most of my graphics concerns is changing Color Space under Display from sRGB to Rec. 709. My monitor is calibrated, so this may not have the desired effect for people with uncalibrated ~gaming monitors~.

It's either that or fidgeting with the Brightness settings which are completely off with defaults.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
It's okay, just typical RE. Hype is overblown like usual and since it's a remake I'm saying no to whoever says it's Game of the Year worthy tbh.

I think the love for it is clearly based in nostalgia, which is completely fine, but people need to say that it's nostalgia and not give seemingly unbaised declarations of why they love it.

What the fuck is an "unbiased" declaration of love?

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Incredible. That was the first game (only 30 minutes, I know) that had me a bit stressed out and tense the entire time in quite a few years. And damn did they EVER lean into the gore! There was one little scene/interaction that legit grossed me out. And I love that this is definitely "first day on the job" Leon, and not "one man army/save the presidents daughter" Leon. Walking into the first hallway when he pulls out his flashlight and says "You've got this" to himself to calm his nerves just fit really well.

All in all, they did it justice. I am so in for the full game.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to download the game on PS4 Pro after using up my X version time. Indeed a bit rough around edges but sharper picture over all.

Decided to just speed through things after using up 15min and completed it in 4:18. I found the zombies pretty lame this time around since it's so easy to just run past most encounters.

I still didn't like shooting with the gun. The visual damage is cool, but it lacks some feedback to the player and the sound is underwhelming imo. The shotgun felt a bit better. I think part of my disappointment is because it's so easy to aim, but the damage output feels inconsistent.

I'm still interested in the game, but I can wait a while before buying it.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Loved every second of it! Can't wait to pick up my Deluxe edition.

It's okay, just typical RE. Hype is overblown like usual and since it's a remake I'm saying no to whoever says it's Game of the Year worthy tbh.

I think the love for it is clearly based in nostalgia, which is completely fine, but people need to say that it's nostalgia and not give seemingly unbaised declarations of why they love it.

What did I just read

I laughed way too hard at this, lol

Game is GORGEOUS.

I feel like we're super close to having game characters look photo realistic.

Agreed. And that new gore engine...phew

So.. I have this preordered for Xbox X. Bad idea?

Why would it be a bad idea?

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed what I played. The little moment that got me was I shot a zombie in the back of the neck and its head sagged forward. It couldn't lift its head anymore because the muscles were missing. Fucking incredible.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Never played RE game before, but I tried the demo and thought it was great. Will definitely pick up the game down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
So is this Action-Horror RE or Survival-Horror RE?
...? :/

I've watched the trailers and it thought this was more like RE: Revelations 2 or RE 5/6.

I love RE 4 but that's...well....you just have to love RE 4.
RE 5/6/7/ REV1/2...I don't know...that's not RE imo.
So...what is RE2 Remake...? I have no idea and I can't play the demo right now.
Is it survival horror? Is there save room music? Do you save at specific locations (typewriters)?