• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Most games treat the walking dead as mindless fodder to carve through for gory satisfaction. I can only think of a few recent ones that make zombies feel like a viable dangerous threat rather than fodder. Most of them are indie games. The early hours of Dying Light, ZombiU, Resident Evil 7 (the Molded are basically zombies + Regenerators), Death Road To Canada, They Are Billions, Project Zomboid, Cataclysm: DDA.

If this demo is anything to go by, Resident Evil 2 brings that idea to life in glorious gory fashion.

I never played the original RE2. It was one of the games my dad played when we got a PS1 all those years ago, and I have vague memories of Leon on the streets around burning cars. I've never been able to get into classic Resident Evil; I tried to play REmake and I didn't last long. Not because of the tank controls (those were fine) or the design (loved the atmosphere of the mansion) but the shooting mechanics. It felt so frustrating and fiddly that just dealing with the early zombies was annoying rather than tense

So this reimagining of RE2 feels like the essence of what I always wanted to enjoy in those classic games, built from the ground-up in a structure and design that clicks with me perfectly. The oppressive atmosphere, the claustrophobic spaces and looming pressure of the zombies. The way even a single zombie can be terrifying. The way the gore both makes the combat have such satisfying feedback and also makes encounters scarier when such gruesome damage doesn't slow down your enemies. The adventure game-style interaction with the environment, the inventory and resource management. How the over-the-shoulder camera makes encounters feel so intense and intimate

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
...? :/

I've watched the trailers and it thought this was more like RE: Revelations 2 or RE 5/6.

I love RE 4 but that's...well....you just have to love RE 4.
RE 5/6/7/ REV1/2...I don't know...that's not RE imo.
So...what is RE2 Remake...? I have no idea and I can't play the demo right now.
Is it survival horror? Is there save room music? Do you save at specific locations (typewriters)?
Survival-horror

With a more obvious focus on aiming and landing your shots due to the camera

Yes, save rooms, typewriters (with ink ribbons on hard difficulties), inventory management

Also you should play RE7 if you haven't, that is assuredly survival-horror :D

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Only played a bit on PC. DX12 has a weird bug where the brightness is decimated and everything gets so dark it becomes unplayable, but switching back to DX11 fixed this. Fantastic 21:9 support too.

Otherwise, the game really felt like a marriage of the UI and certain mechanics of RE7 with the content and design of RE2. Hoping I can switch off the UI elements that highlight interactions in the environment though. Felt they really kind of distract from the immersion and pull my attention away from the atmosphere. (Let me discover the switch or the green herb without the assist thanks!)

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn. To Deluxe version or not to deluxe. That is the question.

While the Noir costume sounds cool enough and so does the alternate gun, the costumes and gun are not enough for me to say the $10 is worth it.
So just trying to decide if it is worth $10 to be able to swap to the original soundtrack.

Any RE2 veterans have an opinion on the original soundtrack and is it a must experience for the extra $10?
I can say to me, especially in a survival horror game, the sound is just as important as everything else.
I deluxed. I am saying this as someone who has the original in their top 5 all times list, so nostalgia IS a factor, YMMV.

That's said I deluxed for two reasons. One I love that Capcom has taken the time and effort with 7 and this to design the games with modern controls and perspectives while also designing the actual game to play like the original trilogy survival horror instead of the 5 and 6 (and 4 to a lesser degree) straight action, and they make it work so I want to do my part to encourage them to continue the trend for this franchise.

Second, and this clearly is the nostalgia speaking, as someone who plans on doing multiple runs I plan on doing at least one run for each character in original costume with original soundtrack. Along with pre-loading and unlocking at midnight that makes the pre-order more than worth it for me.

Again though without nostalgia YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
Just finished it! Loved it and can't wait to play it in 2 weeks. Controls are great and it feels like a modernized version of classic RE. Too bad the time limit is so short.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Base Xbox One:
kkbgKDu.png

Base PlayStation 4:
3yQWXy3.png

More screenshots...
Xbox One: https://imgur.com/a/O9F0wkE
PlayStation 4: https://imgur.com/a/Fh8BCMj
Please choose a better host than imgur

Oct 25, 2017
Survival-horror

With a more obvious focus on aiming and landing your shots due to the camera

Yes, save rooms, typewriters (with ink ribbons on hard difficulties), inventory management

Also you should play RE7 if you haven't, that is assuredly survival-horror :D
What the fuck...really?? This is awesome!
I've played RE 7. It was pretty cool during the first run but it's actually not that great when you replay it imo. The first half of the game is awesome though.

Well, I think I have to buy RE2Remake then. Do you really have to collect ink ribbons to save ?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
0? That didn't have a box and you had to just drop stuff.

Admittedly, I played through it once on release in 2002 (it's one of the few RE games up to 5 to get no replays), so I forgot about that. The only thing that I can really remember about it is that it was simply "OK", and you played as Rebecca and some random convict, and that you had to switch between the two. And of course:
A giant fucking scorpion at the start, on a train.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I had a bit of a dumb laugh at myself when I met the first zombie cause I immediately shot it in the head and then ran up to it to punch it/suplex it while it was staggered. Then it bit me haha
I was brainwashed by the last few REs lol
Hahahahah I would do this too

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
My man Leon, literally ripping a man in half, yells "Hang in there!"
This is Resi alright. I love it.

I watched a friend stream his playthrough as well and saw a different perspective on events. For example the Zombie upstairs (above the darkroom) fell over the bannister for him and died from the fall because he walked up slowly. I sprinted up and wound up caught between that zombie and the one that comes in the window.

I would love to see RE 3 done in this style.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...? :/

I've watched the trailers and it thought this was more like RE: Revelations 2 or RE 5/6.

I love RE 4 but that's...well....you just have to love RE 4.
RE 5/6/7/ REV1/2...I don't know...that's not RE imo.
So...what is RE2 Remake...? I have no idea and I can't play the demo right now.
Is it survival horror? Is there save room music? Do you save at specific locations (typewriters)?
It's certainly an action game (Based on the demo anyway you can shoot your way out of any situation and have a lot of ammo to spare), but there's more of a survival focus with the limited inventory, hard save points instead of checkpoints, and more exploration and puzzle solving.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well that was awesome...

Really love how you can shoot zombies in the face and blow off chunks of flesh.

Also, the camp of the series is largely gone, replaced with genuine tension and horror.

Cannot wait for the full experience...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo. Loved it. I actually almost didn't finish it in time as I was playing it veeeeery slowly, only running when being chased, reading all the files, exploring every nook and cranny to find the differences to the original. It's awesome and runs well on the base PS4 (I was afraid that this might not be the case even though RE7 ran well on it too). I still need to get used to the shooting, but I like that it's not that easy to kill the zombies. I noticed that there is an aim assistant, but by default it's turned off (which I prefer) and once you started the game you cannot turn it on (interesting). At least it was greyed out for me. I also went outside through the main entrance and even unlocked the safe. Running past zombies ain't that easy (managed to slip past the very first one, though).

I don't know if I will replay it again with another account. I realy saw everything I wanted to see. It looks great and plays great. Very much looking forward to the full release. For the very first time I will grab a deluxe edition. The Elza Walker costume for Claire and original soundtrack made me go weak, as I planning multiple playthroughs anyway, haha...

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Loved every second of it! Can't wait to pick up my Deluxe edition.

What did I just read

I laughed way too hard at this, lol

Agreed. And that new gore engine...phew

Why would it be a bad idea?

Some are reporting the PRO version is the best.. I just assumed the X would be better. I have access to both but I don't want a dud version.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd add, comparing the two back and forth, the X does have some benefits and is clearly higher resolution which you can tell when standing at the opposite end of a room and look at the detail on a door for example - you can see more detail on the X but jaggies on the Pro. The Pro also exhibits lots of aliasing and more artefacts on the screen space reflections. But the overly-aggressive anti-aliasing on the X, whilst leaving the image jaggy-free, does make it look far too soft in comparison. I'd still take the X version though as personally I prefer that soft to look to the jaggies and artefacting on Pro, but it's whatever you prefer. Hopefully they'll improve the anti-aliasing on the Pro and lower it on the X, for the final product.

But "very, very blurry" is every bit as much nonsense as those who said RDR2 was very blurry on the Pro. It's soft, sure, but it's not "very, very blurry"!
Framerate is also better on the X compared to the Pro.

At the start if you go through the double doors outside, you start getting framerate dips on Pro which are obvious if you pan the camera around, whereas it retains a locked 60fps on the X. Also strange artefacts on the Pro when you go outside with sporadic white flashing pixels on the trees as you move, seems to be related to the rain effect.

Textures are equally poor on both on the gate and fencing outside, almost PS2 level. Not sure what that's all about.

Deleted member 30569

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I gotta say, I had a bit of a dumb laugh at myself when I met the first zombie cause I immediately shot it in the head and then ran up to it to punch it/suplex it while it was staggered. Then it bit me haha
I was brainwashed by the last few REs lol

Yo, this is supposed to be noob Leon, he hasn't learned how to suplex yet :-P

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I was surprised by how gory it was; the RE4+ games are toned down a bit so it was a surprise.
Looking forward to the final release.

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe this happening. RE2 and FFVII were my childhood. Deluxe edition for sure. Seems like a rip-off, but for this game I'll bite.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My man Leon, literally ripping a man in half, yells "Hang in there!"
This is Resi alright. I love it.

I watched a friend stream his playthrough as well and saw a different perspective on events. For example the Zombie upstairs (above the darkroom) fell over the bannister for him and died from the fall because he walked up slowly. I sprinted up and wound up caught between that zombie and the one that comes in the window.

I would love to see RE 3 done in this style.

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread, but anyone with a Samsung ks8000?

The HDR is this game can't seem to give us proper blacks no?

Or anyone with. HDR set that can comment?

This is almost as bad as rdr2?

Apr 19, 2018
Finished the demo in about 21 minutes, and that was skipping through every cutscene and ignoring the optional item dialogue.

Got a good feel for the game nonetheless. On base PS4, the framerate definitely struggles. It's uncapped and aiming for 60fps as others have already reported, but very rarely did it feel like it was hitting its target range. Even in less graphic-intensive dark corridors, the engine consistently looked like it was hovering between a variable 40-50 range. It made aiming a bit of a chore.

Here's hoping they'll be able to iron out the kinks in the final build. The game has the potential to be amazing, but I'm just hoping technical limitations doesn't weigh it down.

Deleted member 13642

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have HDR and I still couldn't tell you exactly what it is or does.

Tried the demo a second time on my pc, shame my rig is so freaking old because holy crap does the gunplay feel good with mk/b

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Please choose a better host than imgur

If you make an account like he did on imgur, imgur will actually host the uncompressed PNG files instead of automatically compressing and converting them to JPG. You can see in his pics the file name retains PNG format. The game is also overly blurry on Xbox consoles.

Last edited:

Jurai

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread, but anyone with a Samsung ks8000?

The HDR is this game can't seem to give us proper blacks no?

Or anyone with. HDR set that can comment?

This is almost as bad as rdr2?

general consensus in the thread is that capcom screwed something up with the HDR and that it washes out the picture no matter what set you have, play in SDR for now

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Question: does headshot really mattet in this game? I tried to do some headshots but it was hard to aim for the head.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question: does headshot really mattet in this game? I tried to do some headshots but it was hard to aim for the head.
Headshots have a chance to crit and instantly kill a zombie. To increase your chances you need to keep your aim steady on their head until a dot appears in your cursor. Alternatively you can just kneecap them and run past if you can;t get consistent head shots.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I played the demo. And wow is my ps4 loud. So loud it forces me to play with headphones. Aaaand I'm a chicken and I struggled hard with the demo. The original RE trilogy is a major part of my childhood but I just get tense and immediately start sweating with horror games from the past 5 years or so.

If it weren't for the headphones I'd probably manage.

Not sure if I should buy at full price if I'll just end up getting stressed out haha.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played it with pretty much maxed out settings on the PC with a 2080 (although I dropped the res to 2560x1440), and it didn't look as good as I thought it would. It was fun though.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Being Resident Evil 2 my favorite game of all time, this is a dream come true. Just finished the demo and exceeded my expectations. Can't wait.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is really something else. Looks like we are getting a GOTY contender already in January.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Headshots with the pistol does nothing. I hit one guy in the head 5 times and he still didn't drop. The gunplay is very unsatisfying
This is my only question. I put three headshots in a zombie and he fell, left the room and he got back up to three more headshots, and he got back up a third time. This is kind of absurd and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't understand if there's ANY way to kill zombies in this game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my only question. I put three headshots in a zombie and he fell, left the room and he got back up to three more headshots, and he got back up a third time. This is kind of absurd and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't understand if there's ANY way to kill zombies in this game.
Destroy the head or cut it off.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know any details on the difficulty modes? After this demo, I'm feeling like I'm going to want to play on whatever the highest available-at-start difficulty is

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the visuals, just like RE7. RE Engine is so fucking good. Demo has me hyped! Gonna try the console version tomorrow to see how far I get.

Oct 27, 2017
I played it with pretty much maxed out settings on the PC with a 2080 (although I dropped the res to 2560x1440), and it didn't look as good as I thought it would. It was fun though.

I was playing it on a 1080ti and also at the same resolution as you with pretty much maxed out settings aside from a couple, and I would agree. I also was expecting more graphically and came away feeling meh. But gameplay wise, it plays/controls great.