• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Love this engine. Looks amazing and getting 100+ FPS with very few drops.

EDIT: Hope we get a decent hard mode to start with and hopefully something that trims the interface/hints down.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I bought the PSX because of RE 2 and FF 7 and this is giving me the same feellings i had back in 1998

I hope FF 7R can deliver as well

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How? If six headshots didn't do it I don't know how.
Like I said, steady your aim and wait for the increased crit chance. With potshots they should go down within two shots and even if you didn't destroy the head you should be able to go at them with the knife or in the full game use some other weapon while they are lying still like the shotgun.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Fantastic! Of course it looks great. Of course its a remaster of an already great game but honestly, it's all in the details and the thing that impressed me most was the variety of zombies and their... getting up animations.

Zombies were different shapes, genders, sizes, they had different clothing and hair. They weren't all just copy paste decayed bodies. It was really cool. And then the animation for getting up off the floor was just spine tingling. Really creepy. This is going to be an incredible remake.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So one complaint I do have is that the soundtrack and sound design could be better. It was a little TOO quiet. I also feel like because of the fast movement (and no loading screens of course) some rooms just sort of blend in together and can be cleared in seconds. But that's not a big deal assuming they made the station considerably bigger than in the original.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Just fine in terms of acceleration and steering. The only issue is that you outrun Leon if you turn fast. I don't think it actually affects your shooting though, just the animation and most of the time you won't be flailing the mouse around anyway because you have to aim slow and steady to make it center the crosshairs in intense situations.
So one complaint I do have is that the soundtrack and sound design could be better. It was a little TOO quiet. I also feel like because of the fast movement (and no loading screens of course) some rooms just sort of blend in together and can be cleared in seconds. But that's not a big deal assuming they made the station considerably bigger than in the original.
Turn SFX and Voices down 4 or 5 notches and it helps. However, I'm very displeased that music plays like a jingle, not even for a minute, more like a reminiscence, and then never again, so yeah. Most of the game is just dead-quiet.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
People, it takes 3 headshots while aiming correctly to kill....yes kill a zombie. It's not hard lol. Demo is easy mode

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Headshots have a chance to crit and instantly kill a zombie. To increase your chances you need to keep your aim steady on their head until a dot appears in your cursor. Alternatively you can just kneecap them and run past if you can;t get consistent head shots.
Headshots with the pistol does nothing. I hit one guy in the head 5 times and he still didn't drop. The gunplay is very unsatisfying
After going from rdr 2 to this, it is indeed pretty jarring sincr rdr2 enables auto lock if the reticle is close to enemies

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Not liking something doesn't mean it's bad game design, it works perfectly and serves it's purpose.
On the contrary, because you like something also doesn't mean it's objectively well designed. I do find a few pet peeves with the design and approach to remaking RE2 so far. Aesthetically there's changes in tone and style and honestly, that's okay. I accept their creative choices. However, I do worry about what another guy mentioned, that rooms blend together. It feels like they were a bit too faithful to the original map at times whilist trying to cram it into their 3rd person reimagining, because a room is basically a small level in the original and in this, it just feels like a room. I liked the police office where there's a few zombie-traps to watch out for, but by and large many rooms that took me minutes in the original I just walked past without having to consider any zombies lying about, and overall the pace at which I traversed the playable areas of RPD in this demo was much faster than when I played the original, and this does worry me. It can come across as if they didn't consider that shifting to more flexible movement and seamless doors would cause the pace to be that much quicker.

Clocian

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Is it easy mode? Would make sense why there is so much handgun ammo lying around

I want to be playing this with like 8 bullets in my inventory

Like you mentioned, considering the ammount of ammo there is, it has to be easy. Though I heard there's dynamic difficulty so maybe the difficulty just didn't spike since the demo is short

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like you mentioned, considering the ammount of ammo there is, it has to be easy. Though I heard there's dynamic difficulty so maybe the difficulty just didn't spike since the demo is short
When you complete the demo it says it's on standard mode. That said they easily could have given us extra ammo because it's a demo. They want to give everyone that downloads it a shot at completing it after all.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the demo. The shotgun never did the gore effects so its either a critical hit or its not in the NZ version.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
30 minute time limit?
DwrXzt8X0AApJ4G.jpg

tenor.gif

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the demo (40min completion time). Looks and run great on my PC too.

I am definitely pre-ordering now!

Only small detail that bugged me with the demo was the lack of rumble when shooting the pistol? It's already not very powerful by design but it feels super weak without any feeling when pulling the trigger.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary, because you like something also doesn't mean it's objectively well designed. I do find a few pet peeves with the design and approach to remaking RE2 so far. Aesthetically there's changes in tone and style and honestly, that's okay. I accept their creative choices. However, I do worry about what another guy mentioned, that rooms blend together. It feels like they were a bit too faithful to the original map at times whilist trying to cram it into their 3rd person reimagining, because a room is basically a small level in the original and in this, it just feels like a room. I liked the police office where there's a few zombie-traps to watch out for, but by and large many rooms that took me minutes in the original I just walked past without having to consider any zombies lying about, and overall the pace at which I traversed the playable areas of RPD in this demo was much faster than when I played the original, and this does worry me. It can come across as if they didn't consider that shifting to more flexible movement and seamless doors would cause the pace to be that much quicker.
RE2 was always a short game and you should consider that you didn't spend as much time as you think in those rooms as much as you watched a door opening animation every single time you entered or left one.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a speedrun and found out why I ran out of time. Missed that there were more than 2 floors. Didn't see that the staircase continued. Lmao. I guess that is one issue with having it so dark. Should check the map more thoroughly.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So how does the multiple characters/playthrough thing works in the remake? You pick a character at the start and then you have the option to replay the game with the other character once you finish the first playthrough? Also wasn't there a thing with the original where like the items you picked up in the first playthrough were actually gone for the second one or something like that?

What's the difference between the two characters?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
RE2 was always a short game and you should consider that you didn't spend as much time as you think in those rooms as much as you watched a door opening animation every single time you entered or left one.
Yeah, but by making everything so seamless you do basically spend less time than you did and the issue is, it makes RPD feel very small now. Maybe it always was but that's irrelevant to me because it FELT grand and daunting before. It's certainly spooky and oppressive but it's still small. It's a minor complaint so I won't hinge on it too much, but I think this is a weakness that made it less impressive than it should've been as a remake.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the demo a lot.

I think they should probably tone down Leon's breathing when he's "sprinting" though. It already got annoying in a thirty minute demo. He's barely jogging and he sounds like he's out of breath immediately.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
Got some TLOU vibes when killing the zombies. Enjoyed the demo. Definitely not crazy about it being timed because it negated the ability to truly explore. As others stated, I felt like I was missing a ton of stuff. Looking forward to uncovering the secrets.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the police office where there's a few zombie-traps to watch out for, but by and large many rooms that took me minutes in the original I just walked past without having to consider any zombies lying about, and overall the pace at which I traversed the playable areas of RPD in this demo was much faster than when I played the original, and this does worry me.

Sorry, but what? This isn't hindsight speaking: nothing but bosses or some puzzles took more than a minute in the original game on a first playthrough unless you were trying to kill everything you came across. Have you not played the original more recently? It's pretty sparse on zombie density aside from a very few specific areas. Even then, by the time you reach more densely packed areas, you should have had the shotgun or crossbow, which annihilate groups. On top of that, even a first playthrough of the original was pretty short, and they seem to be making this game a lot longer in comparison.

Also, are you not thinking of REmake? There were very few "possum zombies" in the original RE2, and I can only think of two for sure that got up from the ground, without moving their heads, watching you as you moved.

I don't remember how they handled the rest, but in the first, second and remake anyway, "Normal" was always "Easy", which never made any sense to me. You had to pick "Hard" to actually play it on the Normal difficulty.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I read some of the comments in this thread as I just assumed the X version would be the one to get.
However checking it out a second time on my Pro, and I do prefer the visuals on it.
I also feel the base Dualshock controller is better than the XBox Elite controller specifically for this game. The Dualshock just feels more natural. I love the Elite controller so I am surprised I feel this way, but I do.
It very well may have to do with the fact that historically I have played all RE games with the exception of 4 on the Gamecube on a Playstation console.
So for the first time in quite some time for a multi-platform release, I will be opting for the Pro I believe.
I will miss out on the Atmos support though.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
22 minutes. I wish I knew it just ends or I would have explored more. Didn't think I would say this but I kind of want to play this before KH3 after playing the demo.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Kinda regret playing this now.

Found out where the shotgun was which is always a highlight for me in a RE game.

Need not worry. It's going to take a lot longer to get to that shotty in the full game. The access card will not be placed in the same location.

In short, some of the item placements have been shuffled around and optimized for the abridged 30-minute demo experience.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Need not worry. It's going to take a lot longer to get to that shotty in the full game. The access card will not be placed in the same location.

In short, some of the item placements have been shuffled around and optimized for the abridged 30-minute demo experience.
That's great.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking incredible. Probably the single greatest thing Capcom has done in the past decade.

Fuck making new games, just re-make classics.

Dino Crisis next.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I read some of the comments in this thread as I just assumed the X version would be the one to get.
However checking it out a second time on my Pro, and I do prefer the visuals on it.
I also feel the base Dualshock controller is better than the XBox Elite controller specifically for this game. The Dualshock just feels more natural. I love the Elite controller so I am surprised I feel this way, but I do.
It very well may have to do with the fact that historically I have played all RE games with the exception of 4 on the Gamecube on a Playstation console.
So for the first time in quite some time for a multi-platform release, I will be opting for the Pro I believe.
I will miss out on the Atmos support though.

My thoughts mirror yours. The aliasing isn't wonderful but the added clarity helped me notice so much more in the environment. My Pro didn't go full overdrive but it's still louder than the X. I really hope things change by launch because this is a shitty spot to be in.

Clocian

Banned
Apr 23, 2018

awesome

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X, the demo freezes for 3-5 seconds every 20 secs or so. Hope it's better with the full game...

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not cut out for these sort of games anymore. When time ran out I just felt relieved. Just felt so tense the whole time.