• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. DIdn't know the cutscenes ran the clock so that drained up a lot of my time. Definitely getting it. I mean I knew I was from the get-go but this solidifies it, lol.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
This is my most anticipated game of 2019. And honestly the demo is disappointing. I'm still going to play and probably enjoy full game but I wish it was better.

My biggest issues:
1. Shooting is OK at best. The main reason why is poor sound design and animations. The shots just aren't impactful.
2. The atmosphere isn't great. Once again mostly because I'm not a fan of sound design. Didn't original game have more ambient sound and music?
3. Image is just too bright and the range of colors isn't great. I wouldn't be surprised if HDR is broken here, but it's not just that. It seems like grey color is intentionally replacing blacks regardless of HDR being on or off. I really don't like this type of look. It ruins atmosphere. I guess the only way to solve it is crushed blacks?
4. Keys taking up space in the inventory is just dumb. It looks like the game will either be more linear (not shuffling as many keys at once) OR inventory management will be huge PITA. I'm not a fan of either.
5. Cutscenes don't look good. Voice acting just seems off... That said it should be easy to ignore. :)

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I hate this demo so much. First, I love it. Fucking terrifying with visuals and sound. I kept at a slow pace because of that. Then the timer stops me from playing. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I'm so pissed. But it makes me want the game 10x more now.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Game's fucking amazing
This is my most anticipated game of 2019. And honestly the demo is disappointing. I'm still going to play and probably enjoy full game but I wish it was better.

My biggest issues:
1. Shooting is OK at best. The main reason why is poor sound design and animations. The shots just aren't impactful.
2. The atmosphere isn't great. Once again mostly because I'm not a fan of sound design. Didn't original game have more ambient sound and music?
3. Image is just too bright and the range of colors isn't great. I wouldn't be surprised if HDR is broken here, but it's not just that. It seems like grey color is intentionally replacing blacks regardless of HDR being on or off. I really don't like this type of look. It ruins atmosphere. I guess the only way to solve it is crushed blacks?
4. Keys taking up space in the inventory is just dumb. It looks like the game will either be more linear (not shuffling as many keys at once) OR inventory management will be huge PITA. I'm not a fan of either.
5. Cutscenes don't look good. Voice acting just seems off... That said it should be easy to ignore. :)
What fucking nonsense. Maybe you want a game like Resident Evil 6? This isn't for you.

Apr 8, 2018
Played the demo on XB1 this morning, and it was better than I was anticipating. Didn't actually "finish" the demo though since I was exploring most of the time lol. Not a super huge RE fan (only finished RE7, and played a bit of RE4 and Revelations), but I'd say this is on my radar now. Probably gonna play the demo again on PS4 tomorrow.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People complaining about limited inventory space/keys taking a slot in the inventory: have y'all never played the original Resident Evil games before? It's true to form.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Need not worry. It's going to take a lot longer to get to that shotty in the full game. The access card will not be placed in the same location.

In short, some of the item placements have been shuffled around and optimized for the abridged 30-minute demo experience.
Awwww... Are you saying we can't pick it up from
Robert Kendo?

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Possible unpopular opinion coming, Resident Evil is better in first person.

Going back to this after RE7 is hard.

Character movement just feels weird as well.
I agree with this. Shooting also felt better in first person.
Game's fucking amazing

What fucking nonsense. Maybe you want a game like Resident Evil 6? This isn't for you.
It kind of feels like RE6 to me... Nothing feels "heavy" and animations just are not good... I mean I still very much want to play it... Maybe my expectations were just too high.

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure inventory management was a key aspect in the original trilogy. I got one medallion, picked up the shotgun (my man feels good to one shot them zombies) and was about to go back and meet the injured police officer when the timer ran out. Feels g8 apart from shooting which isn't impactful

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
People complaining about limited inventory space/keys taking a slot in the inventory: have y'all never played the original Resident Evil games before? It's true to form.
Yes, but it felt balanced. Maybe it will end up being balanced in the final game. But it doesn't seem great so far. Is there a way to drop things?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Need not worry. It's going to take a lot longer to get to that shotty in the full game. The access card will not be placed in the same location.

In short, some of the item placements have been shuffled around and optimized for the abridged 30-minute demo experience.
I guess the same applies to the Sidepack pouch then?

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Game's fucking amazing

I mean most his complaints were/are perfectly valid. I happen to agree with him on the sound design front. Especially the loss of the iconic soundtrack of the original RE2 being replaced with ambient noise and minimal music. Did it really necessitate such a hostile response? Yeesh.

You have the same amount of inventory slots as in the original game and of course there are still item boxes.
.....and keys/key puzzle items took up inventory slots in the original game as well so I can't knock thi game for following that path.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
You have the same amount of inventory slots as in the original game and of course there are still item boxes.
Yes, but now there's other shit to pick up like boards for windows. Hopefully it will feel more balanced in the final game. It's definitely one of the more minor complaints that I have. Surely there must be a way to drop items though!

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but now there's other shit to pick up like boards for windows. Hopefully it will feel more balanced in the final game. It's definitely one of the more minor complaints that I have. Surely there must be a way to drop items though!
You can store items in an item box just like the original. I counted 2 in the demo.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Figured as much but thanks for the confirmation, and just in general for being helpful in this thread (your confirmation of when the steam and PSN version would go live probably kept my blood pressure from spiking, I was near that point at the time.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Optional items like that being added actually makes the inventory better IMO. You need to make decision on what to take wth you and plan ahead. Do you take a healing item or two or do you take something else like some boards? It's like when REmake added the flask of kerosene.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Listening to Leon make sex noises when you do your little amble that's supposed to be running was the most disturbing part of this demo.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The boards are just a replacement of the fuse cable you can use in the original RE2 to shutdown the windows.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's also inventory space upgrades, too. I picked one up in the demo near the end.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
RE Engine on PC is amazing, everything maxed and smooth. Really looking forward to this one and it has Hunk and Tofu? They went all in on nostalgia.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Played the game on Coffee. I was rolling through it like a goblin.

Shooting was gnarly as the chunks are flying. Felt good to me. Blood spattering. Piece going. "The gore is Well Rendered" my Catch phrase for the Demo at the time. Dude with the slash acoss his face, slumped in the corner and Leon grabs the head and the viscera peels back to the under layers and it is utter disgusting. Nausteating. Glistening.

Grabbed the ShotGun midway. Had fun with that. Saw there was a fanny pack in the window there. Didn't know what that did, in the locker area with the missing keypad numbers. Decided to roam upstairs, i'm still moving quick like, thing on my left hollering, and moaning. Fat man at the Vending machine. I come across a key, the clover i believe. I couldn't pick it up because inventory space. Scoot on to the next room and theres a fanny pack. Guess what? Four more slots in the inventory. Then it ended.

Pappy wants.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

What's the difficulty level of the demo compared to the main game? Will there be less ammo lying around as well?

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Man, this game could be my GOTY but I'm really not liking what they've done with the save room and RPD themes. At least when they went for ambience in RE7 the save room theme was still kind of hummable, or at least audible.

At least Mr. X's new theme fucks.
I am shocked nobody on PC has found a way to bypass the one time play through.
They did... extremely quickly. Plus infinite ammo and other stuff. I played it for two hours earlier.

Oct 31, 2017
So what I keep reading is that the blacks are washed out greys, at least on PC? Isn't that the worst possible situation for a game like this that relies on that feeling of pitch-black hallways and a single flashlight to see your way out?

Either way, this is just the E3 demo so would you all say it's not too optimistic to assume these things are going to be ironed out in the retail version? I'm just gonna skip the demo and buy the game at launch.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
So what I keep reading is that the blacks are washed out greys, at least on PC? Isn't that the worst possible situation for a game like this that relies on that feeling of pitch-black hallways and a single flashlight to see your way out?

Either way, this is just the E3 demo so would you all say it's not too optimistic to assume these things are going to be ironed out in the retail version? I'm just gonna skip the demo and buy the game at launch.
Greys are in all versions even witn HDR on. Truly the most disappointing part of this demo :(

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
The demo was fantastic. Far exceeded my expectations. I thought they might do just what they did with remake but this has a lot of extra content and they re-arranged the things. The atmosphere was a lot scarier than what I remember of RE2.

Can't wait to get the full game. I didn't finish the demo. Got to the shotgun and the demo ended exactly as a zombie was going for the jugular. Awesome moment to end the demo.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The demo was fantastic. Far exceeded my expectations. I thought they might do just what they did with remake but this has a lot of extra content and they re-arranged the things. The atmosphere was a lot scarier than what I remember of RE2.

Can't wait to get the full game. I didn't finish the demo. Got to the shotgun and the demo ended exactly as a zombie was going for the jugular. Awesome moment to end the demo.

Not for the zombie...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
*nasally* "Son of a bitch...!"

Not a very good choice.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Switching to Rec.709 deepened the black levels for me. Be sure to recalibrate brightness before you start playing with that colour space though.

Loved the demo. Was going to avoid it considering we're so close to release, but I didn't have the willpower.

My only bugbear, visually, were the anti-aliasing options. SMAA had a look to the specular highlights (I think that's what they were anyway) that were way too sharp, but TAA felt a little bit too soft for the image generally.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demo was fun. I left wanting more although I agree with some of the criticisms in here about the shooting and pace.

Also, the lack of darkness hurts atmosphere

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Try deactivating the grain filter, I think it'll help by cleaning up the image.

That is a completely different effect and the lens distortion/chromatic aberration toggle is separate from film grain on PC. There's really no good reason not to have included that one as well on consoles.

Any chance the final game will have a chromatic aberration toggle on consoles. (with both this and DMC5)? I really wish Capcom would stop forcing it given it is so destructive to image quality with no performance benefit.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the 30 minutes, fantastic. I can't wait for the full game. I do wish headshots were a little more effective, but also that might make it too easy so meh. Graphically very impressive as well, and I love Leon dropping f bombs and shit talking zombies