• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really fucking hate this mechanic. I know it's there so you don't just kill every enemy with better mobility or knee shots then stabbing, but it fucking sucks.

Ran out of time on the demo but it was fun. Nothing changed my plan of renting upon release though. Seems like it'll be a fun weekend playthrough.

When knife can be used as defensive item, combat and puzzle at the same time. Surely they need to add some sort of limitation or otherwise it will be too easy. This is not RE4-6. It is the classic one in case you forgot. If you complain that you can only use it to certain times, try Remake where each on can only be used once. Lol.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else get a little motion sick after playing?

I'm not normally susceptible except for crazy VR games, but I've been feeling a little woozy after my half hour.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Demo is great! Day 1.

My small problems with the game:

- Leon making cheesy comments when shooting enemies or walking down hallways. Really messes up the tension.
- Sound design is great. It reminds me of Dead Space 1. But I really miss the themes full of fear and dread from the original.
- There was no reason for this demo to have a 30 minute cap!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Since i decided to not play the demo due it being so close to release, i'm refreshing constantly this thread for impressions to hype me even more.
But i have to know:
- is Mister X in the demo?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the demo on PC, decided to screw around and brute force the combination locks, found a lot more shotgun ammo the 2nd time around, and also had better luck with head explosions, got 3 in 7 shots. Finished the demo with 75 Handgun/8 Shotgun.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Every post gets me more hyped. I should probably install sometime.

Also just realized that the RE2 boardgame shipping estimate is going to be landing around release. I'm gonna have a nostalgia breakdown.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
This game seems to be exactly what I want from a Resi 2 remake. My main impression was that sound design was a HUGE part of the intense atmosphere.

What do we think the reason for this being a one shot demo is?

Oct 27, 2017
Played this last night, it's brilliant!

- Really creepy. I genuinely jumped when the corpse hanging in the corridor falls off the spike and lands on you, and the corpse in the locker.

- Graphics generally really nice. The lighting is lovely. My only issue is the reflections are broken (at least on PS4 pro) in places, they're all speckly and glitchy looking. Really obvious in the main hall.

- The zombies are the star of the show; they look so good, really unsettling and the way they react when you shoot them is great. The gore and the way they come apart is superb. A shotgun blast to the head is really grim, I blew the thigh off one zombie with it which was cool and it tumbled to the floor so I put another round in it's head. The zombie on the stairs, couple of bullets to the knee and his lower leg came off and it tumbled down the stairs.

- Runs well on Pro, I didn't notice any slowdown etc. Will be interesting to try the 4k/30 mode.

- Sound is great, really unsettling at times. Times like this I wish I had decent headphones instead of relying on my soundbar.

- Still feels like resident evil.

Really looking forward to the full game now.

Zoroaster

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2018
What is the 3D audio exactly? Do I need a special pair of headphones for that? If yes, would I need to turn the setting off should I use a non-3d-audio-compatible pair of headphones?

Binaural recording is a method of recording sound that uses two microphones, arranged with the intent to create a 3-D stereo sound sensation for the listener of actually being in the room with the performers or instruments.

auro-3d-demonstration-video.jpg

You only need stereo headphones.

"The benefit of having an over-the-shoulder camera is we've got an amazing 360-degree aural experience. And not just for people who have fancy surround sound equipment. We've really pushed binaural technology in this game. Even in a stereo headphone presentation, you get a real sense of the directionality of a zombie moan or a creature scream. "

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So yeah I don't if I should buy it for the Pro, which runs better than I thought, and play on a TV or on my PC which runs better and I can aim with the mouse but can't play on my TV.

First world problems.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
A throw back to the OG R2 demo whiel also having the whole "how far can you get in 30 minutes?" hook to entice streamers and youtubers into playing it to see fi they can beat it.
So being able to replay it would be a benefit then, as streamers would stream more. It's such an odd choice. Maybe a simple "leave them hungry"?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't sure if I should get it on pro or pc but that demo convinced me, the pc version runs spectacularly. what a joy. can't wait.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Finished my 30 mins, controls and looks spectacular too bad i have zero interest in the game but good on for those that do

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Ammo conservation or scarcity of ressources was never really a concern in the original RE2, even moreso if you played the japanese version, but even the slightly harder international release gave ammo out like candy (Just slightly more hidden.) so I don't see an issue if the Remake follows suite. As the game goes on the difficulty will probably lie in the sheer number of enemies you face and the small space you have to manouvre around if you where to decide to take them all on.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Ammo conservation or scarcity of ressources was never really a concern in the original RE2, even moreso if you played the japanese version, but even the slightly harder international release gave ammo out like candy (Just slightly more hidden.) so I don't see an issue if the Remake follows suite. As the game goes on the difficulty will probably lie in the sheer number of enemies you face and the small space you have to manouvre around if you where to decide to take them all on.
I was hoping the ammo surplus would be something the remake would fix haha

Well probably on the higher difficulty?

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks great but the demo format is confusing as hell. Why use a part of the game full of puzzles and then put the weird time limit on it? I was just scrambling through puzzles to get to the next combat. Eventually I gave up with 3 minutes left because there was no point in trying to figure them out with the time remaining. It would make sense if they had built a Mercenaries-style combat arena and didn't want you getting tired of it... but they didn't.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
finally tried the demo so here some thoughts:

-the control and general gameplay are almost perfect, leon has a real weight but he's responsive enough, it's a mix of re5 and tlou.
-the ost is bland and not at the level of the old one, i'm probably gonna buy the dlc with the original ost.
-atmosphere and zombies are great, not very dangerous but the demo was set on normal i think.
-the gunplay itself can be better, the gore is great but enemy reaction, weapons sound, ragdoll etc. are not top tier like other game, dying light is better in those aspects if i have to limit the comparison to zombie games.
-i like the randomness of the enemy resistance to headshot, it add some spicy.
-the graphics at 4k almost full details are good but not great like i was expecting from the trailer tbh, some things are beatiful and other are acceptable, nothing really bad except maybe some few textures.

it's probably not gonna be my goty but i'm very excited for the game.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the demo and loved it, so much fun to play. I did not really want to buy it day1 because I expect it to be cheap very quickly, but I don't know if I can resist now.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't finish my demo, ran out of time after finding the first plate/medal thing and then exploring around the area behind the gate (the one opposite the shudder that won't go up all the way.) I assume to beat the demo you needed to get all three medals things and escape? I wasn't sure if time kept running while checking the notebook and inventory, I spent too much time in those screens.

Jun 4, 2018
... That was amazing. Gonna get a second helping of that 30-minute demo on PS4 tomorrow. My God. A buddy of mine gifted me a copy of the full game, and I'm just over the moon right now. It was a small sample size, but I've played enough games to know that - assuming nothing crazy happens between now and release, this is going to be special. My expectations are lofty, but after what I just played, I would be shocked if this doesn't go down as one of the greatest TPS to date.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How difficult is it to make it to the end of the demo, and does anyone know if there's any kind of reward for doing so?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I'm blown away.

REmake will lose the best remake of all time title in 13 days.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't finish my demo, ran out of time after finding the first plate/medal thing and then exploring around the area behind the gate (the one opposite the shudder that won't go up all the way.) I assume to beat the demo you needed to get all three medals things and escape? I wasn't sure if time kept running while checking the notebook and inventory, I spent too much time in those screens.
Getting the key and using it to exit the library after Marvin radios you to go back to the lobby for one final cutscene is all that's required (I didn't bother with any of the puzzles).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just finished it and I'm blown away.

REmake will lose the best remake of all time title in 13 days.

Yeah Capcom have gone above and beyond with this and have set a new standard for remakes (again)

I wish more publishers / developers would go to this much effort when remaking games, not just redoing the graphics but adding new elements too, like both RE remakes have done.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Just played the PC version after the PS4 version. No major differences to spot on sight, most probably only on comparison screenshots (and I guess it's going to be the contact hardened shadows that are missing on the console). It's great how they improved the mouse and keyboard controls massively over RE7. I always hated to double click everything because everything needed to be 'selected' first in RE7 (what the fuck? who passes this shit in QA?). RE2 works with mouse as it supposed to do. I'm very pleased with this game/demo.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super easy.

Does the trailer play if you don't get to the end and run out of time?
I finished it in like 10 minutes because I just ran through stuff and used a guide. But I'm really looking forward to actually exploring and playing through it diligently. I just wanted to make sure I completed it in case there was some kind of special reward we get at launch for doing so. I think I'll wait to jump back into it, so I can thoroughly enjoy it.

Why the hell does it so often take like 4 rounds in the head to kill a zombie though? Do we have to upgrade our weapons or something for them to be effective like later games? I never played RE2 because I didn't have the console/money and tolerance for fear games when I was young.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Not surprising, Japan started using CERO rating only in early 2000s – http://www.cero.gr.jp/en/publics/index/17/
Plus, games weren't that realistic back then, to be honest.

Not sure why European version was censored though, probably because of Germany (my guess).
Censoring is weird. Last of us was censored in the UK so bombs didn't dismember and heads couldn't splat but it wasn't in the rest of Europe.

Luckily the remaster wasn't censored.

Some versions of old re had green blood too

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
My man Leon, literally ripping a man in half, yells "Hang in there!"
This is Resi alright. I love it.

I watched a friend stream his playthrough as well and saw a different perspective on events. For example the Zombie upstairs (above the darkroom) fell over the bannister for him and died from the fall because he walked up slowly. I sprinted up and wound up caught between that zombie and the one that comes in the window.

I would love to see RE 3 done in this style.
Haha, I guess zombie behaviour is different. In my playthrough he fell of the bannister, got up again and came after me on the stairs again.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Why the hell does it so often take like 4 rounds in the head to kill a zombie though? Do we have to upgrade our weapons or something for them to be effective like later games? I never played RE2 because I didn't have the console/money and tolerance for fear games when I was young.
The original RE2...all classic RE's really...didn't really let you aim at specific body parts in any way, except with the shotgun. You just took shots in the enemies' direction and the damage you did was randomized with each weapon having a lowest possible value and highest possible value per hit, so zombies could take like anything between 2 to 15 handgun bullets so that you wouldn't get too comfortable.

Even with locational aiming in the Remake I'm pretty sure they kept this in, with headshots just doing generally more damage. Would be too easy if you could down zombies with 1-2 headshots.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Demo is great! Day 1.

My small problems with the game:

- Leon making cheesy comments when shooting enemies or walking down hallways. Really messes up the tension.
- Sound design is great. It reminds me of Dead Space 1. But I really miss the themes full of fear and dread from the original.
- There was no reason for this demo to have a 30 minute cap!

Yea, some of Leon's quips are fitting as they can complement the dread and disgust of the moment, but there are so many that come across as deadpan that ruin the mood too.

Only disappointment I have with the audio is the gunfire shots sound so tinny. The zombie sounds are fantastic though, very guttural and disturbing.