• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
No. The highlights go to 1000 nits. This is exactly what HDR is supposed to look like. Most of the image is the same as SDR, but the highlights are a lot brighter.
So it's only applied to fire and lights? Maybe I'm not getting what HDR is supposed to do exactly. To me, I thought that the entire analysis screen would be lit up in orange or purple because it's all HDR - I didn't know it would only be small elements.

I also thought that HDR lighting applied to light reflecting on the characters as well

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The game looks fine most of the time on my TV beside safe zone with they grey tone. Weird how RE7 had great implementation imo but re2 seems to be going for a different look. Even DMC5 demo looked fine on my TV. Different art director I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So it's only applied to fire and lights? Maybe I'm not getting what HDR is supposed to do exactly. To me, I thought that the entire analysis screen would be lit up in orange or purple because it's all HDR - I didn't know it would only be small elements.

I also thought that HDR lighting applied to light reflecting on the characters as well
I mean, if that were the case, you'd go blind hahaha.
The point of HDR is that, instead of having from 0 to 120 nits of luminance to work with, you can have points in the image with more brightness, say up to 1000 nits, which gives you more luminance to work with. That doesn't mean that the whole scene has to be above 120 nits, that would be abnormally bright and ugly. What this allows is for the very bright lights to be a lot brighter and more piercing, to get more details in the highlights, and so forth.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean, if that were the case, you'd go blind hahaha.
The point of HDR is that, instead of having from 0 to 120 nits of luminance to work with, you can have points in the image with more brightness, say up to 1000 nits, which gives you more luminance to work with. That doesn't mean that the whole scene has to be above 120 nits, that would be abnormally bright and ugly. What this allows is for the very bright lights to be a lot brighter and more piercing, to get more details in the highlights, and so forth.
Ahh! Okay, that makes more sense :)

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Well, hdr means a higher RANGE, so it means that the image has more available colors to work with. Still, much of the color will stay in sdr spectrum, because that's what it's supposed to be.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Slightly different format to other ones here , so it's longer than normal. The full res wasn't there last time I checked

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I did notice that lights, like exit signs and other lighting, really popped out. I like the implementation here. Doesn't overdo it.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably the worst judge of video quality because truthfully I am very easy to visually please. However despite liking it in RE2 on PS4, I had to shut it off because I found my gameplay became more sluggish. Is this normal? It's the first game I ever played with HDR and I found the experience to be like Killzone 2 with deadzones.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably the worst judge of video quality because truthfully I am very easy to visually please. However despite liking it in RE2 on PS4, I had to shut it off because I found my gameplay became more sluggish. Is this normal? It's the first game I ever played with HDR and I found the experience to be like Killzone 2 with deadzones.

HDR should have no impact on performance whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2017
The HDR in this game is a very noticeable step up from non-HDR when I compared the inside of the police station. Just a stark difference, with the HDR picture being better in every way.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
You might have additional image processing, takes you out of game mode, etc. when your HDR activates? What type of TV or monitor?

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the opposite in that game mode might be getting turned off when HDR is activated, or another post processing effect on your TV might kick on along with HDR that is increasing your input lag (if that is what you meant by sluggish).
I'll check again when I get home. But I am not imagining it. I know the game felt slower or lower FPS when it was on.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Excellent video, I also had the scale to the left side on the screen where are supposed to balance it out (paper white).

I will watch the forza horizon 4 video as soon as I get chance.

Is vincent on these forums?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Excellent video, I also had the scale to the left side on the screen where are supposed to balance it out (paper white).

I will watch the forza horizon 4 video as soon as I get chance.

Is vincent on these forums?

No, he's not really part of the videogame world and the TV stuff and family life leave him little time to get into it, which is why he's asked for me to help out with some more gaming specific stuff.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
No, he's not really part of the videogame world and the TV stuff and family life leave him little time to get into it, which is why he's asked for me to help out with some more gaming specific stuff.

Okay, he's a great guy from his videos and he seem to reside in Manchester like I do.

I'm always curious how much you should be able to still see when it says things like increase till box just disappears.

You mentioned dolby atmos and had it on at first, do you have a dolby atmos setup?

Also have you ever tested the dolby vision on the pc version of battlefield 1? I'm curious how different it is to standard hdr10?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, he's a great guy from his videos and he seem to reside in Manchester like I do.

I'm always curious how much you should be able to still see when it says things like increase till box just disappears.

You mentioned dolby atmos and had it on at first, do you have a dolby atmos setup?

Also have you ever tested the dolby vision on the pc version of battlefield 1? I'm curious how different it is to standard hdr10?

You should basically move the slider to the point when you just stop seing it (it's about halfway on my display) , however this is somewhat of a moot point as your TV will be dealing with brightness above it's capability in maybe the same way or a different way.

I've not got a Dolby Vision display and annoyingly my new laptop can't output HDR, so it's not something I'm currently unable to do.
Also as support is so limited in games and won't show up on consoles til next gen when HDMI 2.1 makes it much less computationally expensive to apply , it's not really a priority.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see this thread. So i apologise for posting it in a others threads, like a muppet.

The vid is very good.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
not a huge fan of the gray color surrounding the flashlight in the dark area but if I turn of HDR on PS4 and follow the SDR brightness calibration it looks gray as well so clearly an artistic choice and not an HDR problem. another good HDR game from capcom and maybe they can reconsider the gray.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
EvilBoris, thanks for the great analysis. One thing I wanted to clarify, are we to set max brightness to 4000 nits regardless of our display's max brightness? This is the only way I'm able to get HDR brightness slider with no red in it similar to your video.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I still can't get it too look right in HDR. It looks way better with it off on my TV. Could be that my TV isn't that great but I'm reading similar comments on the video.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, I still can't get it too look right in HDR. It looks way better with it off on my TV. Could be that my TV isn't that great but I'm reading similar comments on the video.
Same. I have an OLED tv and with HDR on it just looks like shit. All blacks are washed out and everything is bright, no matter what setting I use to calibrate it. I could probably fix it by going into my TV settings and up the contrast and such, but I'm not gonna mess with that, so SDR for me :)

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Same. I have an OLED tv and with HDR on it just looks like shit. All blacks are washed out and everything is bright, no matter what setting I use to calibrate it. I could probably fix it by going into my TV settings and up the contrast and such, but I'm not gonna mess with that, so SDR for me :)

Do you have your TV calibrated properly?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds like an issue with your TV. Which model are you using? I'm sure we can figure out the right settings or if there's a problem there.

It's not the HDR. It's the game's color grading. They intentionally raise black levels in many darker areas. The SDR mode allows you to lower the brightness to kinda work around it (but since it's intentional, you risk crushing detail elsewhere) but HDR only offer peak brightness and paper white. So to achieve the same effect, you need to change brightness on your display.

I did that while enabling black frame insertion and it looks great. Better than SDR.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Man, I cannot for the life of me understand what HDR is "supposed" to look like and I've had an LG OLED set for quite awhile. Everything has a very natural and realistic color but everyone mentions vibrancy when talking about HDR and perhaps I falsely equate vibrancy with saturation but everything just looks very natural and there are no colors that really "pop."

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
That sounds like an issue with your TV. Which model are you using? I'm sure we can figure out the right settings or if there's a problem there.

It's not the HDR. It's the game's color grading. They intentionally raise black levels in many darker areas. The SDR mode allows you to lower the brightness to kinda work around it (but since it's intentional, you risk crushing detail elsewhere) but HDR only offer peak brightness and paper white. So to achieve the same effect, you need to change brightness on your display.

I did that while enabling black frame insertion and it looks great. Better than SDR.

I did the exact thing you said and you are right. HDR with reduced brightness on the display does wonders. Thanks! Looks way better than SDR indeed.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could anyone explain to a layman why the second calibration screen is being ignored with these settings? i.e. why we shouldn't just make the red and blue bars equal?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris, thanks for the great analysis. One thing I wanted to clarify, are we to set max brightness to 4000 nits regardless of our display's max brightness? This is the only way I'm able to get HDR brightness slider with no red in it similar to your video.

Max. Brightness or do what it says for that screen. The results on the display end are likely to only be marginally different in most cases or the in my case it's hard clip from TV at max or roll off sing the in game slider, so see which one you prefer. I just wanted to remove that screen from the conversation.

The red/blue bars change in size depending not the first screen, but don't actually effect the amount that you adjust by, so stick with 3-4 clicks.

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I cannot for the life of me understand what HDR is "supposed" to look like and I've had an LG OLED set for quite awhile. Everything has a very natural and realistic color but everyone mentions vibrancy when talking about HDR and perhaps I falsely equate vibrancy with saturation but everything just looks very natural and there are no colors that really "pop."
If you've got re2, go to a room with some lights and turn it off. Should be a massive difference.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I can not get HDR for this to work on PC - as soon as I turned it on everything goes super bright and washed out no matter what I do that and it only activates on the DX12 present.
Edit: Watching the video now I have time and I think this may be fixing my issue. Watch it if you have not people.

Last edited:

FREEONEUP

Jul 4, 2018
Any recommend setting for XF9005 + PS4 pro? Method used in video didn't change anything for me... blacks still looks greyish and colors aren't vibrant as in SDR :(

Settings that I currently using - RTINGS guide

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Could anyone explain to a layman why the second calibration screen is being ignored with these settings? i.e. why we shouldn't just make the red and blue bars equal?

Basically the guide encourages you to increase the overall brightness of the image, above and beyond what a movie might be set up for as an example.
Doing this raises the black levels and pushes other parts of the image to be brighter than is Necessary, which in turn axtually reduces dynamic range compared to it being controlled a little more carefully.

Ultimately developers give these options to help people who feel that their game looks "washed out" or dim due to HDR generally being darker and dimmer than how displays handle SDR

Another problem that I believe we have is that these screens and sometimes HDR on the whole , particularly from big companies are being handled by engineers rather than artists.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Any recommend setting for XF9005 + PS4 pro? Method used in video didn't change anything for me... blacks still looks greyish and colors aren't vibrant as in SDR :(

Settings that I currently using - RTINGS guide

Same setup and same result. The game looks greyish and washed out in HDR. The hall looks too bright like if the game wasn't set at night.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the video, really looking forward to trying it out when I get home, that and some new settings for my C7 to change.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
I got an '06 Samsung 4k and I can get the HDR to look good if I just follow the 2 calibration screens in the game but I have to turn Dynamic Contrast to Medium, otherwise the game looks dark and washed out. Only thing is wherever I look - everyone says for Dynamic Contrast to be off, so not sure.
If I follow op's settings and turn the in game brightness all the way and 4 clicks from left on red/blue screen - the game looks super dark and ugly.
I tried SDR - but it also looks super dark. Im not sure if to follow the in game brightness/darkness settings for SDR or leave at default

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Same setup and same result. The game looks greyish and washed out in HDR. The hall looks too bright like if the game wasn't set at night.
I have the same tv, when using EvilBoris' recommended settings it now looks much better to me than what initially was displayed when playing the demo.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

Edit: Ok so I have worked out the issue but I am currently unsure if this a limitation of my TV (LG C7) or my GTX970 but the only way the game (and windows 10 it seems) will display HDR at the correct values is if I set the game to 4K (which is the native res of the TV).

Resident Evil 2 now looks exactly like EvilBoris video! This is still an issue for me as the GTX struggles at 4K with this title.

My XB1X has no issue running say Forza Horizon 4 in performance mode with HDR enabled and looking correct I have no idea why the PC can not display the HDR at 1080p correctly.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Same issue here as others on my oled. Lg b7. Regardless of what I select in the hdr brightness settings I can't seem to get the blacks black.

Sdr actually looks better to me as I'm able to get much closer to the inky oled blacks that in used to which in turn also makes banding a lot less noticeable.

I thought maybe I messed up my tv black level setting but no it's set properly as if I toggle between low to high the black levels get even further raised.

Is this just how this game looks in hdr mode? :|

Edit: just saw darks post above. I really don't want to tweak my settings just for this game though.

Edit 2: took darks advice and lowered brightness a few notches in my tv settings and that helped alot.

Edit 3: I raised it back up a couple of notches because the black levels seemed different depending on the room. Lowering brightness too much crushed blacks too much in some areas. Doesn't seem to be one perfect set it and forget it unfortunately.

Last edited:

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
So I just wanted to follow up on my HDR issues on PC to an OLED and I have overcome them.

1. First, make sure you have a HighSpeed HDMI cable.
2. If your running DX11 and its not showing 'enable HDR' make sure you have not changed the setting UseVendorExtention=Enable to UseVendorExtention=Disable in RE2 config
3. In Nvidia control panel make sure you set 4:2:2 color at 10bit (really important or the colors and brightness will not look right)
4. Launch the game - enable HDR - set the settings exactly like this video.