• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still in need of some fine tuning (I think the default head bob should be curbed a bit, for example), but it's pretty fantastic so far. The developer seems to be working on it pretty actively, which is encouraging. Once this is polished up some more, I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to third person.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Its impressive that it works so well.

I dont like first person though and LOVE how they made RE2 remake over re7 but for people that prefer it it's cool!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll feel even better when Capcom patches in raw mouse input, or else someone mods it in.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Would be amazing if Capcom incorporated something similar to this, and something like the fixed camera mod into the actual game as optional modes.

Inspirit

May 29, 2018
That's great work but the perspective is really bad. This needs to be fixed if they want to make this fully playable.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this looks really good. I much prefer the FP perspective, will be keeping an eye on this.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
it just doesn't works for me , resident evil i s third person games not first.
RE7 was in first person doesn't mean that you should re-done the others games in first person view , that's no really a good idea.
That's not the way it was meant to be played.

same goes for evil within 2

Except the mod looks really good, even for a rough first go. And looks like the game plays very well in FP, so saying "it's not how it was meant to be played" seems like it doesn't have much weight here.

And RE7 was a great experience in FP.

That's great work but the perspective is really bad. This needs to be fixed if they want to make this fully playable.

Looks pretty damn good to me.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is great. Wish capcom released a fps dlc or something.
The Evil Within 2 had free FPS DLC that was pretty darn good. One hopes Capcom considers something similar. The caveat with TEW2 was that the game was heavily oriented around stealth, but the game lacked first person oriented stealth mechanics. First and third person games are fundamentally different and TEW2 ends up caught in the middle.

Ironically, RE2 Remake's basically non-existent stealth gives it an advantage here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
RE7 was in first person doesn't mean that you should re-done the others games in first person view , that's no really a good idea.

I mean, it's a mod. It's all up to the modders to modify any aspect of games they own. People also have the option to use it or not. And it's free.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm confused, why did you say 'let's make all games first person' then?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I wish I had waited and not played through most of Leon A in third-person now.
It's certainly not perfect, but it works far better than I expected. Turning off the camera shake and FOV multiplier (scaling the FOV for actions like bringing up a weapon) almost looks like it was made to be a first-person game.
I found that the FOV was too low on my ultrawide monitor at the maximum value with the multiplier set to 0 though, as it maxes out at 100°. The fix for that was to set the multiplier to 2 and FOV offset to around -50, which ended up back at ~110° when setting the multiplier to 0 again.

The game's TAA does not handle first-person well at all though - there's significant amounts of ghosting:
re2-taa-ghosting-ggk0a.jpg

And it really highlights the issues with the keyboard and mouse controls, such as the need for 1:1/raw mouse input, when switching to first-person. I thought it was bad enough in third-person before.
The mod does nothing to change the game's movement either, so you're stuck with animation priority over input priority, which feels even worse in first-person.

One funny thing I noticed is that the player's head disappears from shadows, as the mod is hiding the mesh that the camera is attached to.
Who cares? It's how I'd prefer to play it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on board. As someone with an iron stomach I actually love just how wild this perspective is. Seems far more intense. I prefer 3rd person for shooters (and most genres) and 1st person for horror games. 1st person just makes horror games feel so much more claustrophobic and intense to me. 1st person is a big part of why RE7 works so well. When Jack comes up from behind you and spins you around by grabbing you by your face that works as well as it does because it's a 1st person game. I hope this modder figures out a way to make it so that the camera doesn't pull out when you get grabbed by an enemy because staring up at a licker sitting on your chest raising its claw to you would be terrifying.

Anyway, I would love to kick some cash in the modder's direction

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
One funny thing I noticed is that the player's head disappears from shadows, as the mod is hiding the mesh that the camera is attached to.

I should've screen capped it when I saw it last night but when you're in the interrogation room with the two way mirror using the mod you can see that you have no head lol, just a neck stump. Thankfully not bloody though :p

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Tango added a pretty decent working FPS mode to EW2. I hope Capcom adds one too.

The game plays perfectly fine as it is but it would be nice to play it like RE7 .. get a closer view of the amazing environment and assets.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Copied from other thread.

You already know someone's going to get a VR mod working for this too.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I tried it out but it's not quite smooth enough for a full playthrough yet imo. Amazing progress so soon after release though.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished a whole Claire A playthrough on the latest build, works great! If anything it's better because now you can sprint backwards and I feel the strafe+dash is a little faster too?