• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 was just released few hours ago , and it already became Capcom's 2nd top Steam peak concurrent players , beaten only by Monster Hunter world which was a gigantic 329K

For Comparison , Resident Evil series top steam peak concurrent players was achieved by RE7 and it was 18K , but as the moment I make that thread , RE2 number is now 54K , more than triple of RE7 , Number is increasing at every refresh xD

Also Correct me If i am wrong , but that puts Remake 2 in Top 5 Japanese games on Steam histroy in terms of Peak concurrent players , beaten only by MHW , MGS:TPP , Dark Souls 2 and 3 ?

Edit : It surpassed 72K now , It is now a quadruple ( 4x ) of RE7 Peak numbers

RE2Steamstat9.JPG

Last edited:

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
For a highly anticipated game like RE2, it seems kinda low. I wonder if Capcom is happy with it.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
RIP in peace RE 7

True RE protagonists have stepped in.

Fuck you Ethan

I really liked Resident 7...

But in my head its a different game from another series. It wasn't a Resident Evil for me (the level design and general mood yes, but nothing else).

Im very glad to see this reaction to RE2. Follow up projects will probably mantain the "you can actually see the protagonist" camera.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised by this.

Seeing MHW that high up still is surprising however.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I really liked Resident 7...

But in my head its a different game from another series. It wasn't a Resident Evil for me (the level design and general mood yes, but nothing else).

Im very glad to see this reaction to RE2. Follow up projects will probably mantain the "you can actually see the protagonist" camera.

Bleh, non-VR Resident Evil is a downgrade at this point.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think people's vendetta against certain Resident Evil titles or styles churns out some of the pettiest shit, and even negates what's actually happening here. For example, REmake 2 doing better than RE7 is almost precisely because RE7 was so well received, RE7 before it had more apprehension to the new style and camera and from people burnt out from RE6 and swore off the series for a bit, which paved way for REmake 2 to do better as RE7 was really good and returned faith in the series, and REmake 2 itself looked really good. However, I bet if RE8 was releasing right now instead of REmake 2, and even if RE8 was a first-person RE horror game in the style of RE7, it'd also perform better than RE7 did.

On characters, there's things to like about types like Chris and Leon and types like Ethan. I think a lot of people misunderstand that Ethan did exactly what he was supposed to do, he is enough of a "person" to not just be nobody, but he's almost a blank slate protagonist to allow the Bakers and simply the locations personality shine through, Ethan having more of a character actually might've detracted from the Bakers and the focus on setting, which are the strongest aspects of RE7 as it focuses on them and this is a very deliberate design decision that Ethan chiming in more or inserting himself more into the story wouldn't have benefited.

Happy REmake 2 opened well, but I don't like posing it in a competitive air to other titles as it makes it feel like there's some agenda some here are pushing in favor of their own personal interests.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Expected

This is the RE that fans wanted since RE 4, and they know they're gonna get it this time

It's the first time that they nailed the tone, blending between survivor horror and action, cheesy and being serious.

No other game in the franchise nailed it quite like this time.

Hope that RE 3 Remake team can also succeed. They have some pretty big shoes to fill now.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
Happy REmake 2 opened well, but I don't like posing it in a competitive air to other titles as it makes it feel like there's some agenda some here are pushing in favor of their own personal interests.

To defend myself , Last released RE game and former record for Top concurrent players for a RE title was RE7 , it is pretty logical to compare Remake2 to RE7 , Sales tracking sites make that all the time for new titles and compare it to last released title from the IP or the one who holds a record

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE2 might surpass RE6 saleswise when all is said and done. It'll be hard to edge out 5, though.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the second post shitting on RE7. It's a fantastic game and reminded people how could horror action can be, when done right. It plays with so many horror scenarios (from Texas Chainsaw massacre to SAW) and it even gave me strong F.E.A.R. vibes at the end. The first person perspective worked great for me and made me feel uneasy, experiencing some of the brutality that Ethan was exposed to from first person... that was some hefty stuff. I love the interconnected but varied level design (look and feel), the family was great, the twist was fun, sound-design was great, it's a good looking game... No complains from me: it's a modern classic in my book. This thread made me happy and sad simultaneously tbh. Happy because I'm hyped for remake 2 and it seems to be doing well and sad because of RE7s reception.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see these stats the one take away I always end up with is just how much more multiplayer games dwarf everything else. No wonder companies are trying rush in on that space constantly.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm one of them!

This might be a sign to Capcom that people want horror but perhaps with a third person perspective rather than the first person RE7 tried.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't already have a dozen other games on my plate (among which the seemingly endlessly replayable MHW), I'd be playing as well. Looks like a stellar game and the PC port seems to be decent too.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is only the start, isn't it? Weekend is coming and it might reach 70k at least. Still dwarved by MH World, of course, but for a single player game that's a huge success.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
55K opening for a <12 hours title is a lot these days.

Re2 did better than Shadow of the Tomb Raider.