• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah I learned the hard way how nerfed the shotty is in the RE2make when I tried fighting a Licker.

Claire has a much easier time with Lickers.

I just got the long barrel attachment for the shotgun in Kendo's gun shop which I heard improves it.

It's easier to just knife Lickers to death from behind than bother wasting ammo with either character, if seeking to actually kill them.

Damn, I guess that's a glitch? That would probably waste a lot of the knife's durability too, no? Honestly so far with Lickers I've been able to avoid them all except one.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I never got the hang of killing Lickers with a knife. I play on consoles though. Usually use my frags on lickers in areas I gotta go through multiple times.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I guess that's a glitch? That would probably waste a lot of the knife's durability too, no? Honestly so far with Lickers I've been able to avoid them all except one.
Didn't seem like a glitch (killing G1 Birkin much more easily with the knife on PC and to a lesser extent on PS4 Pro is an unintended consequence tied to frame rate though), typically have a good deal of durability remaining after doing so as well IIRC but it's been a while since I checked. In general however, it usually is still more practical to just avoid most of them.

Also, enhanced shotgun still doesn't make much of a difference against Lickers (Lickers are stupidly resistant to firearms in this, even magnum rounds).
I never got the hang of killing Lickers with a knife. I play on consoles though. Usually use my frags on lickers in areas I gotta go through multiple times.
I play on a base PS4 in my case, still works.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't bother fighting lickers at all. They're all easy enough to walk by or run past. The one exception being that one which bursts in ready to attack, though that's easy enough to just flash.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Accumulated some courage and jumped back into the game.

Now that I ran out of handgun ammo, I realised that I am not supposed to kill all the zombies.
There were like 5 zombies on my way to the C4- remote so yeh. Gonna reload the save, and run past them somehow lol.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Accumulated some courage and jumped back into the game.

Now that I ran out of handgun ammo, I realised that I am not supposed to kill all the zombies.
There were like 5 zombies on my way to the C4- remote so yeh. Gonna reload the save, and run past them somehow lol.

I thought I used a lot of ammo early on too but this game practically throws ammo at you left and right. I started to play more conservatively with ammo which is still the smart thing to do and by the end of the game I had 120 handgun ammo, maxed the others, and also had like 8 of each gunpowder in storage. LOL

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Do the DLC outfits from the special edition change over the course of the game too like the standard costumes? (battle damage, stains etc)

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
can someone explain to me what i'm doing wrong
as claire, i'm trying to take down the plant guys so they fall on top of each other. this way i can use 1 flame round and take out 2 or 3 guys in one shot
but it only fucking works sometimes and i cannot for the live of me figure out why
basically what happens is only one of them will actually die. the other one will flail around on the ground but not finish burning up

edit: playing on hardcore btw. and this does work sometimes, which is almost making it more frustrating

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
as claire, i'm trying to take down the plant guys so they fall on top of each other. this way i can use 1 flame round and take out 2 or 3 guys in one shot
but it only fucking works sometimes and i cannot for the live of me figure out why
basically what happens is only one of them will actually die. the other one will flail around on the ground but not finish burning up

edit: playing on hardcore btw. and this does work sometimes, which is almost making it more frustrating
Maybe it is just a bit hard/random/unintended to work. I recall it was very hit and miss to perma-kill zombies around staircases or do multi-burn-ups in REmake as well.

Oct 25, 2017

Been a while since I played, but if I remember correctly, it takes more than 1 flame round to kill the plant enemies in hardcore. I also think AoE damage is less too (there was a google doc with damage values) so the enemy you directly hit will get the most damage and the others would get less splash damage.

EDIT: Here are the reddit threads on it:

Also, depending on how well you've been doing so far, you might be getting less damage due to adaptive difficulty.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Been a while since I played, but if I remember correctly, it takes more than 1 flame round to kill the plant enemies in hardcore. I also think AoE damage is less too (there was a google doc with damage values) so the enemy you directly hit will get the most damage and the others would get less splash damage.

EDIT: Here are the reddit threads on it:

Also, depending on how well you've been doing so far, you might be getting less damage due to adaptive difficulty.
i think you're right on the money about AOE vs the direct hit
the thing that sucks and has been throwing me off is, even if i stack the damn bodies basically on top of each other, i guess only one of them takes the direct hit damage and the other gets aoe and stays alive

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I just beat this game on the first run. I liked it but I'm waffling in doing the second. I heard there wasn't many differences between the two. What would you do in my shoes?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat this game on the first run. I liked it but I'm waffling in doing the second. I heard there wasn't many differences between the two. What would you do in my shoes?
If you feel done, then leave it for now. If you ever feel like replaying you have a slightly different story to run through.

Saint-XIV

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I'm playing this for the first time and I had a quick question. I'm just about to go to the orphanage, how far into the game am I? No spoilers please, thank you!

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping.

I want to start replaying RE2 on my new PS5. (disk version)

I have transferred the saves from the PS4, but I don't seem to get the "old soundtrack", which I bought as DLC on PS4.

Do I need to download that again on PS5? Where? How?

It would be great if someone could help me send Claire on her Hardcore run

EDIT: Finally found it.
I had to access the DLC store from the game main menu and then could redownload it.

Apparently DLC items don't really show up in your store library.

Maybe it'll be helpful to soneone else too

Last edited:

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Got a question on PC, is there a way have the game cease asking to 'enable HDR' every time I start it up?

Have already made saves on a Leon first playthrough, so I would think it stop for bloody once.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i've had this game since it launched and only now beat it in my october spoopravaganza.

my stress levels were through the roof waiting for x to show up. then he did. sewers calmed my nerves a lot. rest of the game wasn't so bad. i am not built for horror games.

on to resident evil village

Oct 27, 2017
i've had this game since it launched and only now beat it in my october spoopravaganza.

my stress levels were through the roof waiting for x to show up. then he did. sewers calmed my nerves a lot. rest of the game wasn't so bad. i am not built for horror games.

on to resident evil village

I loved Resi 2 but have only gotten about an hour into Resi 7 so far. It's incredibly intense due to the FP perspective, far more so than those which came before it!

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Resi 2 but have only gotten about an hour into Resi 7 so far. It's incredibly intense due to the FP perspective, far more so than those which came before it!

resident evil vii is one of my favorite ps4 games. of the resident evil games i've completed, it's right behind 4:

re4
re7
re2 remake
re0
re5

put some time into re1 remake, but never finished it. re3 remake is going to be a next-year thing for october. probably won't touch the revelations games, the originals, cv, or 6.

village looks to be more moody and creepy than outright scary, which vii was quite often. vii doesn't mind leaning into camp in delightful ways though, especially with jack.

Oct 27, 2017
resident evil vii is one of my favorite ps4 games. of the resident evil games i've completed, it's right behind 4:

re4
re7
re2 remake
re0
re5

put some time into re1 remake, but never finished it. re3 remake is going to be a next-year thing for october. probably won't touch the revelations games, the originals, cv, or 6.

village looks to be more moody and creepy than outright scary, which vii was quite often. vii doesn't mind leaning into camp in delightful ways though, especially with jack.

Oh sorry, you said you were going to play RE Village next and I must have misread that as Resi 7!

I intend to finish RE7 this month, although we'll see. I found the FP viewpoint very stressful and I'm still quite near the beginning trapped in the house avoiding Jack. I'll probably check out RE8 down the line once I have a PS5!

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Well here's a one year bump.

I'm thinking about going back through RE2 again as I only beat Leon A (basically, I stopped playing because I just hating dealing with the random crap from Mr X).

To do a Hardcore S+ run for Leon A, where do you recommend if I were to do saves? Kind of going by this video, but he doesn't save at all:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVQsRxMR0s

Playing on PC by the way and can do 120 FPS, so Birkin 1 should be easy enough. Any other suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Well here's a one year bump.

I'm thinking about going back through RE2 again as I only beat Leon A (basically, I stopped playing because I just hating dealing with the random crap from Mr X).

To do a Hardcore S+ run for Leon A, where do you recommend if I were to do saves? Kind of going by this video, but he doesn't save at all:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVQsRxMR0s

Playing on PC by the way and can do 120 FPS, so Birkin 1 should be easy enough. Any other suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!

Carci is a speedrunner. I don't think he knows what this "saving" you speak of even is.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it to be efficient, I just don't know the best places to really save. Never actually did a quick run of RE2 yet. I know I have definitely done quick runs of RE3R, but not 2.

I think these were the save points I used. It's been a while though

End of Police station before first boss
Right before solving chess puzzle
Start of NEST

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't come off as weird but as I'm trying to make good on the RE2 remake purchase I made back when it released, I'm finding myself falling into the same trap kid me did when I dared rent RE2 from the video store multiple times for multiple weekends. I just do not handle the whole Mr. X bit well at all. I know I've played other games with a mechanic you can only strictly run away from without much difficult, Mr.X's whole schtick when you're back in the police station after dealing with the parking garage just sends my anxiety through the roof and it did as a kid too. I always needed my older brother to help me through the game and I figured I'd be past this kind of thing now but nope. I have a desire to get through RE2 on my own fully and am currently replaying at Claire atm but I've not touched it for a few nights now because of my anxiety reliving running from this fucking guy the other night.

I've missed the boat on this thread and I am weary of bumping it because I'm not sure where else to share this but I'm giving it a shot. Not sure if anyone else has had this type of issue with this game in particular but I don't want to drop the game. I'm just personally not having success mentally in pushing through it. It's not a problem I've had to face personally in RE4 and beyond. Probably helps I was older than 7. Not sure what I'm expecting but in my own circles I don't have anyone who cares about RE2 or RE in general enough to bring this up or relate with.

Last edited:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
just pay for the $5 unlock and just bazooka his ass. I rebought it on PS5 and ran through RE2 with infinite ammo and it was fun on hardcore difficulty.

Anytime X would come by just blast him. I've never dealt well with horror and this is the solution for me, be a bad MF.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hope this doesn't come off as weird but as I'm trying to make good on the RE2 remake purchase I made back when it released, I'm finding myself falling into the same trap kid me did when I dared rent RE2 from the video store multiple times for multiple weekends. I just do not handle the whole Mr. X bit well at all. I know I've played other games with a mechanic you can only strictly run away from without much difficult, Mr.X's whole schtick when you're back in the police station after dealing with the parking garage just sends my anxiety through the roof and it did as a kid too. I always needed my older brother to help me through the game and I figured I'd be past this kind of thing now but nope. I have a desire to get through RE2 on my own fully and am currently replaying at Claire atm but I've not touched it for a few nights now because of my anxiety reliving running from this fucking guy the other night.

I've missed the boat on this thread and I am weary of bumping it because I'm not sure where else to share this but I'm giving it a shot. Not sure if anyone else has had this type of issue with this game in particular but I don't want to drop the game. I'm just personally not having success mentally in pushing through it. It's not a problem I've had to face personally in RE4 and beyond. Probably helps I was older than 7. Not sure what I'm expecting but in my own circles I don't have anyone who cares about RE2 or RE in general enough to bring this up or relate with.

hey there!

don't know if this will necessarily help but will try to address your issue the best way i can:

Mr. X's presence in the "1st run" campaign path (the one you start with, there's a "2nd" option once you finish the first playthrough), is not entirely filled with it, actually the part it is chasing you won't last long and other places will be stalker-less to explore.

there's also two tricks to minimize the damage X can do.

if you time it right knowing when the creature starts its pursue, it's possible to grab the items you need and open as many areas possible.

also, if you walk around without running, it won't be into you because of the sounds (that's an obscure trigger which makes far easier for the Tyrant to spot you, like the Licker).

besides that, at the worst scenario, yes, you can buy a $5 unlock that will grant you special weapons with infinite ammo.

using those will keep Mr. X in check for sure.

ah, and on PC there's a mod you can install which removes it completely, although if you're on console that won't do.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC

I literally just bought and beat this and he gave me fits as well. My main advice is to clear out all enemies before he shows up. In the both playthroughs he only shows up at a specific point in the police station, and you should have enough ammo to kill pretty much everything prior to that, though that depends on how often you miss.

Also, WALK. Never run. That's where clearing out all enemies helps.

Here are the safe rooms where he cannot follow you in. Just wait until you no longer hear his footsteps and only then can you leave. Make sure to walk out!
  • Interrogation/Observation Room (1F)
  • Watchman's Room and Break Room Hall (1F)
  • Boiler Room Safe Room (1F)
  • Darkroom Safe Room (1F)
  • Chief's Office (2F)
  • S.T.A.R.S Office (2F)
  • Clock Tower (3F)
Finally, he leaves at certain points and stays gone until another trigger later in the game. I just looked up those triggers so I wasn't in constant fear. You'll mainly see him in the police station if that helps.

Second playthrough he shows up a lot earlier, but there is a specific trigger there as well. I had much less ammo then, so clearing things out was much more difficult.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The new patch on steam (April 2023) REMOVES Ray Tracing.

You can test it immediately with the reflections. Seems like a bug, I'm pretty annoyed as I will need to pause my play-through till it gets fixed (floor reflections look like ass without ray tracing).

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but I just got through the sewers with Ada and I'd love to know the community's sentiment towards this section.

Personally, I can't remember a weirder, more underwhelming shift in tone, gameplay, pacing—basically everything. I really disliked it.

I'm aware the game doesn't take itself seriously, but I'm still reeling from how detached it feels compared to what comes before it.

Ada's ridiculous aesthetic, the scientist's lame dialogue, the absurdly un-fun puzzle mechanic, the frequency of cinematics…it's all just so off-putting and plays like a B-team special.

The police station is fantastical, sure, but it still feels grounded and I don't recall any schlocky death-by-incinerator moments or ham-fisted attempts to force suspense/excitement.

Please tell me it's a one-off?

Anyway, this grievance aside, I'm loving the game as an RE newbie (in terms of similar titles, I've only played Signalis).

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Both Leon and Claire have their own one off section where you briefly play as a different character and they're both bad. Thankfully they're short and business continues as usual after, though if shlock is the primary concern this series really revels in that stuff so steel yourself.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Sorry for the bump, but I just got through the sewers with Ada and I'd love to know the community's sentiment towards this section.

Personally, I can't remember a weirder, more underwhelming shift in tone, gameplay, pacing—basically everything. I really disliked it.

I'm aware the game doesn't take itself seriously, but I'm still reeling from how detached it feels compared to what comes before it.

Ada's ridiculous aesthetic, the scientist's lame dialogue, the absurdly un-fun puzzle mechanic, the frequency of cinematics…it's all just so off-putting and plays like a B-team special.

The police station is fantastical, sure, but it still feels grounded and I don't recall any schlocky death-by-incinerator moments or ham-fisted attempts to force suspense/excitement.

Anyway, this grievance aside, I'm loving the game as an RE newbie (in terms of similar titles, I've only played Signalis).
Do you mean the sewer section in general or just the Ada portion? While it's definitely not as strongly designed as the police station, I still think it's a cool area. The worst thing about is those annoying enemies than can grab you in the water

If you just mean the Ada section, yea, it's a little jarring and a bit too short to feel worth it.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017

The Ada section is my least favorite part of the game as well. So you aren't alone there. The rest of the game is super solid.

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
Both Leon and Claire have their own one off section where you briefly play as a different character and they're both bad. Thankfully they're short and business continues as usual after, though if shlock is the primary concern this series really revels in that stuff so steel yourself.

Haha that's a fair point, but I knew this about RE in general—what with all of the absurdity of suplexing zombie villagers and punching giant boulders.

I guess I wasn't expecting the station to feel so mature and methodical in tone (aside from Leon's action-flick quips ofc), so the whiplash from this switch-up is severe.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Haha that's a fair point, but I knew this about RE in general—what with all of the absurdity of suplexing zombie villagers and punching giant boulders.

I guess I wasn't expecting the station to feel so mature and methodical in tone (aside from Leon's action-flick quips ofc), so the whiplash from this switch-up is severe.

They typically all get goofier the further into the game you get, but playing as Ada for a bit with her super spy gimmick definitely makes for a harsh transition

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal

Ada's section is much more tolerable once you're familiar with the flow of the level; but the first couple of times it's somewhat disorienting and unclear how to handle certain things. But it's never particularly great, yeah.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017

"Secret Weapon Time" I love it , lol
But yeah it's a one off and on future playthroughs it's very short

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

It is indeed a one-off, as others have already said.

That said, I'd say Leon's campaign is ultimately inferior to Claire's in this, even with a unique section in hers taken into account (which is the exact opposite of OG RE2, where Leon's campaign was better than Claire's). It was always a shame that most people picked his first in REmake 2, or otherwise didn't try Claire's at all.