Resident Evil 2 |OT| 1998... I'll never forget it

Oct 25, 2017
I watched someone do this and it didn't seem to make much of a difference for them.
It's a guarantee you'll never take damage in the room for the price of just a handful of handgun bullets. Granted dogs aren't too difficult to dodge but sometimes they will get a small bite off when you're opening the door. I feel like the ammo trade off is more than worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. The very first time I encountered a licker in this game I tried to walk slowly past them and they still reacted. And I'm not sure I'd want to make the detour to kill them before triggering Mr. X if I'm trying to speedrun.
A lot of people think that the moment a licker makes noise that it has detected you. Just keep walking after the first screech, and you'll see that it senses your presence, but isn't actually going to aggro.

Ogs

Oct 27, 2017
Reached chess room in sewers in around 50 minutes as Claire, going for Hardcore S+ B run, plenty of time left right?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
Just finished all the scenarios on Standard difficulty, but trying to find the enthusiasm for going through on Hardcore. I think the sewers and labs aren't interesting enough to make me excited about another playthrough. That DMCV demo could be the perfect palette cleanser.

Here's hoping the upcoming DLC will take us to new places.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
One thing I'd like to see is an alternate control option for defensive items. I think it'd be great if you could just use the dpad to select which defensive item you use on an enemy if they catch you in a hold, i.e. instead of just pressing "L1/LB" to respond with the currently equipped, if I could press up on the dpad to use my knife, left on the dpad to use a hand grenade, and right on the dpad to use a flashbang. I kind of think the way it works now where you just press L1 and expend your current item requires a little more foresight -- and I think affording the player a little bit of choice in the matter would elevate the combat in the game just a notch, and encourage me personally to carry a wider assortment of defensive items, where right now for inventory sake I try to keep it limited.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'd like to see is an alternate control option for defensive items. I think it'd be great if you could just use the dpad to select which defensive item you use on an enemy if they catch you in a hold, i.e. instead of just pressing "L1/LB" to respond with the currently equipped, if I could press up on the dpad to use my knife, left on the dpad to use a hand grenade, and right on the dpad to use a flashbang. I kind of think the way it works now where you just press L1 and expend your current item requires a little more foresight -- and I think affording the player a little bit of choice in the matter would elevate the combat in the game just a notch, and encourage me personally to carry a wider assortment of defensive items, where right now for inventory sake I try to keep it limited.
This doesn't address what you're suggesting, but you can change your equipped defensive item without having to go into the inventory. LB+d-pad can help change the defensive item on the fly. It still requires foresight, but it saves the step of opening up the inventory.

Oct 25, 2017
Just did my No Health Restoratives run on a victory lap of Standard Claire B using the minigun and rocket launcher. Goddamn it is so much fun just blazing through blasting dudes to pieces.

If DMCV can get me this obsessed with replaying the same game over and over the way I think it will it's gonna be hard picking GOTY. Hell, I think RE2 is already better in my eyes than any of the big budget titles of 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This doesn't address what you're suggesting, but you can change your equipped defensive item without having to go into the inventory. LB+d-pad can help change the defensive item on the fly. It still requires foresight, but it saves the step of opening up the inventory.
Yeah, I knew about that -- I just wish I could respond to grabs with specific defensive items instead of having to swap ahead of an engagement, just so I maybe can use a hand grenade or flashbang instead of my knife if I get grabbed unexpectedly.

May 31, 2018
Just finished Leon A today, man this game is really good!

Gonna move on to Claire B tomorrow. And maybe also do Claire A followed by Leon B.

Also,

Was there an explanation on how did Ada survive the fall in Leon A?

Oct 28, 2017
Spain

Gonna move on to Claire B tomorrow. And maybe also do Claire A followed by Leon B.

Also,

It's unknown afaik. IIRC her falling in the OG version only happened in the Leon A scenario which is considered largely non-canonical. Instead, she gets
impaled by Mr. X's Tyrant form while protecting Leon in scenario B
and is presumed dead but finally survives.

How she actually lives in this is a mystery.

Oct 26, 2017

Also,

She has a grappling-hook gun in RE4.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the tips for hardcore mode?
Like in general or for S/S+ runs? Aurc gave me tips on my specific situation, and where I was in my run.

In general though, know your way around the map, and don't waste ammo. If you know you're not going to come back to a location, don't bother killing enemies. Stagger them, which will take more bullets, then run away. If you're not going for an S+ run, save often with the ink ribbons you find, but keep in mind that there are only 20+ in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the tips for hardcore mode?
a great tip for hardcore mode is shoot the zombies in the leg. you have three options to use as needed:
-shoot in the leg to stun them to run past em. headshots are a waste of ammo in hardcore.
-if you need to come back to an area, immobilize them by shooting the leg till it falls off,
-if you need to completely kill them off, knife em after the leg falls off to finish em.

Oct 25, 2017
Same. How are so many people so good at this game lol
I have all the achievements but S+ hardcore still seems out of reach, 3 saves only is just too much
For me it was just a matter of memorizing puzzles and enemy placements, planning out an optimal path, managing inventory space and ammo consumption, and bashing my head against the last stretch of bosses over and over.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel fairly certain that this was actually because Claire's detection box overlapped with the Licker's. It doesn't look like a physical connect but I feel confident in saying that by the game's underlying logic, the two touched and caused a detection here.
agree.

there's a section that licker in the dog pen you absolutely have to hug the staircase and it's nose it's next to you and it won't detect you.

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with it, but.. I'm not enjoying it? I won't regurgitate the same complaints, but right now it just annoys me more than anything. I don't find combat satisfying, and not a fan the more 'realistic' take on the RPD station. As goofy as the original is, it has more presence and a sense of place than the new one, which just looks like a level out of any other horror game to me.

Maybe I just need to play more. And I'm cranky.

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was just a matter of memorizing puzzles and enemy placements, planning out an optimal path, managing inventory space and ammo consumption, and bashing my head against the last stretch of bosses over and over.
Think I just need to get a good first save going. Once I'm out of the RPD, I'm definitely not as worried. I restarted way too many times before my first planned save at the club key that I'm just frustrated. I probably could have kept going a couple of times but I want to make that first save good to give myself a little more time later.

Oct 27, 2017
Think I just need to get a good first save going. Once I'm out of the RPD, I'm definitely not as worried. I restarted way too many times before my first planned save at the club key that I'm just frustrated. I probably could have kept going a couple of times but I want to make that first save good to give myself a little more time later.
The RPD is definitely where everything could go wrong. The sewers and lab to a lesser extent because they’re so short. I always save after I get the medallions, at the start of the sewers, and at the start of the lab. There’s a huge stretch between the first and second saves but it’s worked for me more than not. I just feel to paranoid not to save as soon as I’m done with the first part of the RPD.

Oct 25, 2017
The RPD is definitely where everything could go wrong. The sewers and lab to a lesser extent because they’re so short. I always save after I get the medallions, at the start of the sewers, and at the start of the lab. There’s a huge stretch between the first and second saves but it’s worked for me more than not. I just feel to paranoid not to save as soon as I’m done with the first part of the RPD.
I really want to save there too but I'm most terrified of the run from club key => gear / tool => library to solve the puzzle. It's always the hardest stretch of the game for me.
I've also been skipping the portable safes, still debating if I should be getting that hip pouch or not. Would make that section of the game a little harder cause I'd have to run there too.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I need to work on my pathing. I got an S+ with Leon A on Standard so decided to give Hardcore a go and after a few bad starts I've made it to my 2nd save right before G2 and I'm at 2:07 lol. Having a good time but it's rough, I'm really bad at remembering pathing and optimal routes in these games. Haven't looked up any particular guides or runs really (other than having puzzle solutions handy) but I might need to wind up doing it here. Having fun regardless though.

Dec 4, 2017
Picking this up soon, back in the day I just played Leon and then Claire, but is there a canon order of things? Claire technically should be the first to play as, right?
Not really. Leon A makes much more sense than Claire A this time, because of the cutscenes in the RPD.

Today I finally got an S in Claire A Hardcore and proceeded to get it in Leon A with the infinite machine gun.
It’s been a real headache, and I’m definitely not cut for S+ in Hardcore, so I’m gonna take a break from the game. I still have Hunk and Tofu’s achievements to get but the hunt for Hardcore S definitely soured me on the game a bit.

Ogs

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, tofu's all done fairly easily, except for Flan, fucking Flan. You really have to use the rocket launcher on the damn licker in the car park. Was bliss using it again in the very last area though.

All records done too. Now gimme that DLC.

Also, sorry .....

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I did my best to be fast enough in my 2º run with Claire A but in 1 hour all I get was fighting G1 and get back to the RCPD with the stars badge and large gear. I dont know how you guys do.
I avoided the lickers, to be frank I only killed 1 on my way out the morgue

Oct 25, 2017
I did my best to be fast enough in my 2º run with Claire A but in 1 hour all I get was fighting G1 and get back to the RCPD with the stars badge and large gear. I dont know how you guys do.
I avoided the lickers, to be frank I only killed 1 on my way out the morgue
Well for one, all the time you spent getting things like the badge was wasted. Don't bother grabbing it with Claire at all and as Leon only bother with it if you suck at fighting bosses.

The only inventory upgrade you should get is the one in the west office safe so don't bother with the portable safes.

Always know where you're going and always run (unless it's a room where you need to get by a licker)

Avoid getting grabbed outside of specific instances (like the first G adult in the sewers), even if you have a defense item. The animation is a huge waste of time.