• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Resident Evil 2 |OT| 1998... I'll never forget it

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to save there too but I'm most terrified of the run from club key => gear / tool => library to solve the puzzle. It's always the hardest stretch of the game for me.
I've also been skipping the portable safes, still debating if I should be getting that hip pouch or not. Would make that section of the game a little harder cause I'd have to run there too.
I skip that pouch because that stretch of the game is the hardest for me too and I wanna spend the least amount of time on it possible. That means I skip the SMG/Magnum too. Also, I like to move one of the book shelves in place before going to the first boss since it makes moving the other two while Mr. X is chasing me a lot easier.

OP
OP
Kindekuma
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that I had $2 of PSN credit that I didn't know I had. Time to buy that Classic OST. Gonna wait for the low poly skins to release and then it'll be the GOAT.

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I skip that pouch because that stretch of the game is the hardest for me too and I wanna spend the least amount of time on it possible. That means I skip the SMG/Magnum too. Also, I like to move one of the book shelves in place before going to the first boss since it makes moving the other two while Mr. X is chasing me a lot easier.
You know that you can move them all at the same time by just using the left most one

Oct 27, 2017
You know that you can move them all at the same time by just using the left most one
Yeah but you don’t need to move them all in the first place. You only need to move three starting from the second to last from the left, the one next to the shelf jammed with the jack. I like to move the one on the right once to the left before even triggering Mr. X that way once it comes time to complete the puzzle, I just have to do two movements instead of three. You can just grab the one all the way to the left and push everything to the right all at once once you remove the jack, but that takes three movements and gives Mr. X more time to catch up to you.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Normal. I wasn't really trying to speedrun it but if the possibility is there I would put a little hustle in my step haha. So fucking stupid locking so much behind speedrunning when most people have no interest in that or don't play that way :/
You have three hours. It's doable... But is this your first playthrough? Don't rush your first playthrough.

Oct 25, 2017
Normal. I wasn't really trying to speedrun it but if the possibility is there I would put a little hustle in my step haha. So fucking stupid locking so much behind speedrunning when most people have no interest in that or don't play that way :/
It's doable on standard. Assuming this isn't your first playthrough and you know what you're doing both in terms of where to go and puzzle solutions.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, goddamn Birkin 2 & 3 -_-
G3 became a lot more manageable for me after I realized that almost all of his moves utilize his right arm, so you need to stick to his left side to dodge his attacks. There's absolutely nothing in his design that would indicate that he favors that arm (like the Cleric Beast for instance) so it took a lot longer to make that connection and I had to learn from just continuously getting smacked around.

But for anyone struggling on that boss, there ya go. Learn from my pain.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Well for one, all the time you spent getting things like the badge was wasted. Don't bother grabbing it with Claire at all and as Leon only bother with it if you suck at fighting bosses.

The only inventory upgrade you should get is the one in the west office safe so don't bother with the portable safes.

Always know where you're going and always run (unless it's a room where you need to get by a licker)

Avoid getting grabbed outside of specific instances (like the first G adult in the sewers), even if you have a defense item. The animation is a huge waste of time.
nah, I deleted the game, it just not for me

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't do a no-save run simply because the game could potentially crash at some point. Actually happened to me once in my first playthrough.
On standard the game is constantly auto saving so not doing manual saves isn;t a big deal. Even if the game crashes or you lose power you won't lose too much progress.

Oct 25, 2017

S Rank standard was a lot easier than completing Hardcore. I thought it would be the opposite. Now onto Leon A S rank. I doubt I'll go for S rank Hardcore because I struggle a lot with that mode.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I noticed while listening to the RE3 music that the Nemesis theme has that same bass tone as the Mr X theme.

I can only imagine how badass the Nemesis theme will sound in the Remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Just cleared Claire A with a B rank. It's not an S, but it's improvement. I'm really going to need to watch S runs to know how they did it.
I wouldn't do a no-save run simply because the game could potentially crash at some point. Actually happened to me once in my first playthrough.
I saw a streamer attempting this only for a random dog in the parking garage to end his run after escaping from X multiple times and having to start dealing with the fuse stuff. He tried to juke a dog, but it was too quick, shit was a weird mix of hilarious and sad.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm running through Leon B right now and my god, my main thought sometimes is

"NO MR. X-DONO NO YAMATE", my god, he shows up in so many worse situations than in the A playthrough

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the true ending today. Great game. Played Leon A and Claire B to do it.

Started another playthrough on Claire B to get S Rank on Standard for the infinite handgun so I can do Hardcore afterwards.

Need some tips though:

What weapons should I be using to S Rank Standard Claire B? What weapons to use on zombies, lickers and what weapons to use on the bosses? Any tips? Is the quickdraw gun good? It seemed pretty powerful when I went through Claire B the first time. but not sure if its a good weapon to use as you cant craft ammo for it only find it? Which grenade launcher is best? Acid or Fire? I noticed you cant create fire rounds either?

Anyway, I feel like I'm stressed playing the game already to get S Rank even on standard difficulty. Feels like i cant waste any time lol. I made it into the police station west side save room by the stairs in about 9 minutes. Also obviously gonna miss a ton of items rushing but i dunno what I need to go for or what not to in regards to weapons, healing, ammo etc. Watching some speed runs on youtube but these gamers are literally flying through the game missing as much as possible. i'm not interested in breaking records just comfortably beating it within 3 hours for the S Rank. I just dont wanna fuck it up by not having enough ammo or healing on a boss because I rushed through it. So far I've already restarted lots of times just to get to the first save point in the police station as quick as possible.

Is there a good video I can follow for Claire B to get the S Rank on standard? There is no way I'm gonna figure out what routes are best myself as I know I'll just fuck it up if I dont follow a guide. I already forgot the order of puzzles and where to go next in a lot of places.

How viable is doing hardcore with the infinite handgun when I get it instead of infinite smg? I don't really fancy doing S Rank Hardcore to get the other infinite weapon. That seems like it would be hell.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this was very intentional
Yep. It'd be pretty dull if both characters played the same.
I can agree with this. I honestly wasn't expecting to prefer playing as Claire to be honest. Most of the enemies you can do some decent thinking around and you usually feel pretty prepared. With Leon though you're like "Oh fuck it's a Licker, I want no part of this." With Claire you already know you can at most two shot the fucking thing and be done with it if you have to.

Nov 8, 2017
It also ties in to Leon A / Claire B being the intended order by Claire's SAA further exacerbating that dynamic.
The games story doesn't point to that being the order at all though. The story, as poorly told and interwoven as it is now, still points to Claire A and Leon B being the canon order just like the original. With Claire always being ahead of Leon. A minor example being the interrogation room mirror always being broken before Leon gets there, and a big one being Claire reaching the lab first, to you know... have the whole ending take place.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I feel like Leon's arsenal is more useful. Claire's grenade launcher is awesome, but I feel like the Spark Shot is mostly garbage and only truly useful against the big G monsters in the sewers. The submachine gun is also trash unless you upgrade it completely, but they requires a huge detour which isn't worth it if you're trying to get a good time.

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda lost I found the first Power parts piece for the jail cell area, but can't find the other. Also, I have the Diamond and Spade keys, but can't find the other two. Can someone give me a hint(without spoiling too much) on where I should be looking? Running around looking everywhere, can't seem to find anything.

Kinda lost I found the first Power parts piece for the jail cell area, but can't find the other. Also, I have the Diamond and Spade keys, but can't find the other two. Can someone give me a hint(without spoiling too much) on where I should be looking? Running around looking everywhere, can't seem to find anything.
I heard there’s a clock tower somewhere in the police station...

Oct 27, 2017
Check the 3F

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I feel like Leon's arsenal is more useful. Claire's grenade launcher is awesome, but I feel like the Spark Shot is mostly garbage and only truly useful against the big G monsters in the sewers. The submachine gun is also trash unless you upgrade it completely, but they requires a huge detour which isn't worth it if you're trying to get a good time.
I thought this at first but after completing a Hardcore S+ run with both of them, Claire came out on top because of her grenade launcher alone. Since it holds different ammo types, I could use the flame rounds found in the world on enemies while I constantly made acid rounds to use only on bosses. With Leon I was actively using shotgun shells with nothing in reserve since there’s only one ammo type. By the end of the game, I had like 15 acid rounds left over with Claire and no shotgun ammo with Leon. The acid rounds also make G3 Birkin absurdly easy because you can stunlock him forever.

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The games story doesn't point to that being the order at all though. The story, as poorly told and interwoven as it is now, still points to Claire A and Leon B being the canon order just like the original. With Claire always being ahead of Leon. A minor example being the interrogation room mirror always being broken before Leon gets there, and a big one being Claire reaching the lab first, to you know... have the whole ending take place.
There is no canon order because there are no A/B scenarios and 2nd run is basically an arranged mode, not something that ties into the story of the first playthrough.

And that order isn't consistent in many spots either, like why are the dogs gone in Claire A then if Leon is trailing her?

I thought this at first but after completing a Hardcore S+ run with both of them, Claire came out on top because of her grenade launcher alone. Since it holds different ammo types, I could use the flame rounds found in the world on enemies while I constantly made acid rounds to use only on bosses. With Leon I was actively using shotgun shells with nothing in reserve since there’s only one ammo type. By the end of the game, I had like 15 acid rounds left over with Claire and no shotgun ammo with Leon. The acid rounds also make G3 Birkin absurdly easy because you can stunlock him forever.
Agreed, Leon's shotgun is great for steamrolling zombies but it's not as good on the bosses imo

His fully upgraded magnum is fantastic though.

Oct 28, 2017
So just finished Leon A/Claire B and go the true ending.

Ready to do it again with Claire meeting Marvin. Would that be a new game or 2nd scenario in the options menu?