Resident Evil 2 |OT| 1998... I'll never forget it

Oct 25, 2017
So random question about the Sewers big puzzle I've finished the area and gone back and done all the stuff I missed in the police station as far as I know at least. Why does the room with the chess piece puzzle still show as red on the map and none of the chess piece plugs have red check marks?

Oct 25, 2017
So random question about the Sewers big puzzle I've finished the area and gone back and done all the stuff I missed in the police station as far as I know at least. Why does the room with the chess piece puzzle still show as red on the map and none of the chess piece plugs have red check marks?
It's a glitch/oversight

Oct 25, 2017
General comment, but does anyone else find the Resident Evil games (the first four + Code Veronica at least) to be very comforting and invoking of that "cozy" feeling? Despite their survival horror content and constant feeling of tension, I always find them to be really comfy games, especially on subsequent runs.

Oct 25, 2017
theoretically all chess pieces still have a use to open the doors where you got king/queen or to lower that platform near the elevator. you can take all the chess pieces from their plugs to turn the room blue

Oct 25, 2017
So just finished Leon A/Claire B and go the true ending.

Ready to do it again with Claire meeting Marvin. Would that be a new game or 2nd scenario in the options menu?
No, 2nd run would just be playing Claire B again.

The regular new game will be Claire A, which will lead into Leon's 2nd run.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Leon B with an S ranking. Add that to my S with Claire and I have completed all 4 scenarios. Zero interest in Hardcore mode or 4th Survivor so my time with the game (for now) comes to an end. What a fantastic experience, probably jumps all the way up to my second favorite RE or at least neck-and-neck with REmake (4 still the king).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man. 4th survivor is only like 10 minutes but its so good, like I played it just three times today.

That feeling of anxiety and tension is even greater than full game. Its the best of RE2 distilled into one hell of a vertical slice. I like how powerful yet simultaneously vulnerable Hunk feels, dude's geared up but the nature of the game means even with all his tools, the situation can go south fast. If Capcom returns to action RE, this is what it should feel like.

Oct 29, 2017
G3 became a lot more manageable for me after I realized that almost all of his moves utilize his right arm, so you need to stick to his left side to dodge his attacks. There's absolutely nothing in his design that would indicate that he favors that arm (like the Cleric Beast for instance) so it took a lot longer to make that connection and I had to learn from just continuously getting smacked around.

But for anyone struggling on that boss, there ya go. Learn from my pain.
Thanks for the tip.

Man. 4th survivor is only like 10 minutes but its so good, like I played it just three times today.

That feeling of anxiety and tension is even greater than full game. Its the best of RE2 distilled into one hell of a vertical slice. I like how powerful yet simultaneously vulnerable Hunk feels, dude's geared up but the nature of the game means even with all his tools, the situation can go south fast. If Capcom returns to action RE, this is what it should feel like.
This is war....survival is your responsibility.

Hunk is so badass.

Nov 4, 2017
They should add a game mode where Mr. X actually starts following you after you pick up the club key. Like actually follows you. Like no where is safe, not the Save rooms, not the clocktower, or the STARS office. He'll enter those rooms. He'll also follow you into the basement too and he won't stop until he's dead in the game.

Oct 27, 2017

The shooting is so much better than it was in RE6.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I just tried 4th survivor earlier today and had the exact same thoughts, it’s a lot more fun than I expected it to be. It’s satisfying to be able to blow zombies heads off basically whenever you want, but you have to make so many split second decisions about what to shoot or evade whatever that it stays incredibly tense.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just tried 4th survivor earlier today and had the exact same thoughts, it’s a lot more fun than I expected it to be. It’s satisfying to be able to blow zombies heads off basically whenever you want, but you have to make so many split second decisions about what to shoot or evade whatever that it stays incredibly tense.
Yep, it's a fantastic mode. The mode you unlock for beating it is also great.

Oct 28, 2017
They should add a game mode where Mr. X actually starts following you after you pick up the club key. Like actually follows you. Like no where is safe, not the Save rooms, not the clocktower, or the STARS office. He'll enter those rooms. He'll also follow you into the basement too and he won't stop until he's dead in the game.
God, I would be crying throughout the whole RPD. I feel like the game would need to give us alot more flashbangs etc. in order to survive that mode

Oct 25, 2017

Hard: whenever you sit down in real life, Mads Mikkelsen sits on your lap, facing you. This is a very hard level because you might get a boner but if you shove him off you lose Mads knocks your lights out and you have to start over. This is the setting Kojima recommends playing as it’s the most true to his vision
They can also add multiple Mr Xs as a permanent feature, and have them fatally explode if they get too close to the player. Maybe they can also be invisible?

Jan 27, 2018
Oh boy new challenges up on RE Net. Can't wait until I get home from work.

- Hardcore, no shotgun/grenade launcher or sub weapons (knife, grenade, flash).

- Survivor mode, take dmg 3 times or less counterattack 1 time or less.

Oct 27, 2017

I would pay for DLC that you play through the full game as Hunk. Either a "shits and giggles" run through the game tooled up (but still relying on ammo pick ups, so not like the unlockable weapons), or still tooled up but greatly increase the amount of zombies and Lickers to keep the difficulty/tension up.

Jun 7, 2018
So I had 2 runs until now: Leon A and Claire B. Should I start Leon B? Is it very different from the runs I already had? You can use spoiler tag if you want. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So I had 2 runs until now: Leon A and Claire B. Should I start Leon B? Is it very different from the runs I already had? You can use spoiler tag if you want. Thanks.
Apparently, it's the same save the beginning (you arrive last into the station) and the very end.

The game truly only has one main plotline in which the character you play as does the puzzles and fights the bosses while the other one goes through other unknown and unspecified route we'll never know about. The stories are alternate, not parallel, only converging when they meet so they're the same in all runs.

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be hard for me to cut this down further.
Wow you're good.

I'm at 3 Savegames and around 2 hours on harcore. But G3 simply won't let me pass. I can get him to his last phase without problems but in the end i fumble and he gets me.

My savegame is direct before this fight so i'm not that mad but after dozens of tries i want him to die already.

They can also add multiple Mr Xs as a permanent feature, and have them fatally explode if they get too close to the player. Maybe they can also be invisible?

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you're good.

I'm at 3 Savegames and around 2 hours on harcore. But G3 simply won't let me pass. I can get him to his last phase without problems but in the end i fumble and he gets me.

My savegame is direct before this fight so i'm not that mad but after dozens of tries i want him to die already.
Which character? If you're Claire then you can stun lock him to death with acid rounds from that point..

Son of Sparda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So any good Leon A hardcore S+ rank walkthroughs/guides out there?

I'm on PS4 Pro so I can't do the knife trick that I see in a lot of the speed run videos.

Oct 25, 2017
So any good Leon A hardcore S+ rank walkthroughs/guides out there?

I'm on PS4 Pro so I can't do the knife trick that I see in a lot of the speed run videos.
The knife thing is only really relevant in bosses. For the most part, you can follow what the speedrunner is doing in between bosses, but just be sure to have room in your inventory to pick up additional ammo/health items.

I also put together a Word document with all of the relevant routes/key items for Leon A and Claire B when I was practicing my S+ runs. I can share that here. I'm also working on doing the same for Claire A and Leon B, but I expect those to be very similar.

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the game with Leon and the battle with tyrant was like

My first (meh) result of Leon's route.

Yup, completed Leon first time last night and got about the same result, except I was in the 9 hour range. Tougher than I expected. There was a few times there I thought of quitting and starting over with Claire but I soldiered on with no ammo and red-level health several times. Haven't felt that sense of desperate survival in a RE game in along time. Just fantastic! Now onto Claire.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Leon B on hardcore.

In the end I loved the game, but I wish they had not removed the Claire and Leon meetup scene in the STARS office. I know they moved it to outside but that scene through the fence felt a little strange with the romantic tension and not as moving.
Also the new soundtrack minus Leon's final battle and 4th Survivor is pretty terrible. This ain't minimalist stuff like BOTW, none of it actually resonates and feels scary. Once I turned on the classic OST then the fear kicked in (especially in the hallway next to Reception). Glad I had the option but really wish Capcom hadn't turned up the greed to sell the option for money.
Mr. X is my new favorite RE villain. Power struts all day. Even though I saw that he had a little neck snap animation and his classic 2-handed overhead slam in the Model Viewer, I never saw him actually use either in-game. People may complain about him, but for this type of enemy if at least a few people don't complain then you probably didn't design him correctly.
Leon's route is way easier than Claire's, his weapons are better and more suited to the task at hand. Also he deals with fewer Lickers, which are more dangerous than Mr. X is. That being said managing Claire's inventory is much easier than managing Leon's.
Claire's story is more interesting than Leon's because of Sherry, the stakes feel higher and the overall scenario involving her and Irons is fantastic.
Strangely enough Ada in Japanese sounds much more like classic Ada from the original (calm and methodical when speaking), whereas English Ada sounds way more like an asshole. Different direction in voicing from the director I suppose.

Going to take a break from the game and then try to complete Tofu Survivor. Delicious, shiny, jiggly tofu...