• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. The Fourth Survivor is rough. Made it to the West Hall and got murdered. Seems like there is a lot of luck involved in evading zombies and dogs.

With dogs, there is very little luck; they follow fairly set initial paths, and by the time the variation comes in, you should be long gone.

Zombies... The only luck comes in whether or not the ones you need to stun will get stunned with the first bullet. Some of the timing for the tighter areas requires you to shoot a shot and keep running. If the zombie decides to not flinch, then yeah, it can go South.

But by and large, 4th Survivor is a fixed puzzle that relies very little on luck.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I def think it's the hardest too. Just something about only having two pistols for the extremely chaotic sections of that mode where zombies are everywhere. It's also pretty crucial to save the knife for the end courtyard section otherwise you're pretty much screwed.

Yeah, those one hit kill plants are a nightmare without defensive items.

Wait there are more Tofu modes? I've only beaten 4th Survivor with Hunk.

Once you beat the default Tofu (knife Tofu) you unlock the fire Tofu and the grenade Tofu, once you beat one of those two you unlock lady Pudding and the .45 pistol Tofu.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
That Hardly Armed but Dangerous Plus challenge is a motherfucker. The first boss during my first attempt completely roadblocked me. I had to start again and change my entire method in order to save enough ammo to beat it.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the consensus best way to take out G1 w/Claire? I'm on PS4 so no knife, as far as I know. I've seen some people say to just use your handgun and others say to rock him with Flame rounds, but I am nervous about wasting those. I have 50 ish Quickdraw ammo and 100+SMG bullets and a grenade.
There is a second grenade in one of the corners near where you start. I beat G1 by hitting him with a grenade and following it up with an SMG clip to his weak spot. Then repeat. I think I needed a couple more handgun rounds to finish him off, but that combo did almost all the work.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Platinum. This game is amazing. I know it's early but it has a high chance of being my GOTY

Oct 25, 2017
Just about to take on
G1 in Claire B
. I actually like the Quickdraw, but I have a couple of questions:

Is there any reason to use the SLS instead of the quickdraw? I heard you get an upgrade later that makes it shoot stronger bullets but until then I feel like I should just stick with the Quickdraw because I'd have to use gunpowder to make bullets for the SLS, and I have a hunch I'll want to keep all my powder for acid rounds.

What is the consensus best way to take out G1 w/Claire? I'm on PS4 so no knife, as far as I know. I've seen some people say to just use your handgun and others say to rock him with Flame rounds, but I am nervous about wasting those. I have 50 ish Quickdraw ammo and 100+SMG bullets and a grenade.

Hoping to S rank this one to get the infinite pistol. I'm at like 50 minutes now, hope I can make it.
Don't bother with the SLS. By the time you get the stronger bullets upgrade most of the game is over and you don't get many of the magnum bullets to use with it.
Stick with the Quickdraw until you get the JMB hp3 from
the boot of a police car in the parking lot of RPD. Same place you get the stock for Leon's Matilda
You still got to craft the pistol ammo but you get such a huge upgrade in reload speed and magazine capacity(and you can get an extended magazine upgrade later) so it's worth it.

As for G1:
Shoot his head with the pistol until he exposes his huge eye in the shoulder. Then fire at the eye with your quickdraw and SMG. Keep the grenade around to use in case he grabs you. Repeat until he is down. If you run out of pistol and SMG ammo before that just shot it once or twice with the flame rounds. It shouldn't have much health left by that point.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I0RQklJ.png

Thank you for your help OniBaka , disillusion386 & Kaguya

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Don't bother with the SLS. By the time you get the stronger bullets upgrade most of the game is over and you don't get many of the magnum bullets to use with it.
Stick with the Quickdraw until you get the JMB hp3 from
the boot of a police car in the parking lot of RPD. Same place you get the stock for Leon's Matilda
You still got to craft the pistol ammo but you get such a huge upgrade in reload speed and magazine capacity(and you can get an extended magazine upgrade later) so it's worth it.

As for G1:
Shoot his head with the pistol until he exposes his huge eye in the shoulder. Then fire at the eye with your quickdraw and SMG. Keep the grenade around to use in case he grabs you. Repeat until he is down. If you run out of pistol and SMG ammo before that just shot it once or twice with the flame rounds. It shouldn't have much health left by that point.
Appreciate the advice. Will use pistol/SMG and see how it goes.

Also, love that username!
fSZWD.gif

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With dogs, there is very little luck; they follow fairly set initial paths, and by the time the variation comes in, you should be long gone.

Zombies... The only luck comes in whether or not the ones you need to stun will get stunned with the first bullet. Some of the timing for the tighter areas requires you to shoot a shot and keep running. If the zombie decides to not flinch, then yeah, it can go South.

But by and large, 4th Survivor is a fixed puzzle that relies very little on luck.

The zombies are mostly predictable

Dogs less so but there are only 2-3 sections with them

Thanks! Good to know that I just need to get gud and it's not actually chance-based.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how does the adaptive difficulty thing work? The more ammo/healing items you have the harder the enemies/bosses get?

I'm on Claire B (reached the lab) and am kinda swimming in ammo despite not using any gunpowder, same with healing.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Every Leon hardcore run for me so far has been one disaster after another, but for some reason I keep saving and just keep going to see if I can still make it. I'm not even going for S, I'm just seeing how I do for my first Leon A hardcore run right now.

For starters, I can't even get through that first hallway section on hardcore A scenario without getting bitten at least once or twice. I finally did by skipping that room with the wooden board, but that meant I wouldn't be able to board up the west hallway when going through it the first time. In Claire A I actually had to immediately use both first aid sprays in that first east hallway encounter.

Then, recently I used up ALL my supplies on the G1 fight, including the ones they give you. My shit was all gone and I was on danger. Did people figure out what the best weapons for the G boos fights are (outside of the grenade launcher)? I decided to just save and keep going, only later remembering I'd just saved right before that fight and probably should have just tried it again.

The other problem is I've still never been able to do RPD part 2 without Mr. X chasing me through the west hallway where the lickers and all those zombies are. I can get him to lose me for a little bit, but it's never long enough to make it to the jack. Even stunning Mr. X on the other side of the RPD doesn't give me enough time.

Anyway, as of now I'm saved in the sewers, having limped around on danger for like the fourth time.

After this shameful rucking run, I still managed to make it in at like 2:47. That's with going back for both inventory expansions, and having to run back and forth and in circles for items multiple times. So eventually I feel like I can figure out how to shave that off.

The upside is by the time I got to G4 I had way too much ammo for basically everything.

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Leon A and started Claire B but man, this feels too much like a NG+. Hate the way that you're thrown into precinct.

Think I'll just play Claire A in a few months instead.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the mode is still relatively substantial (keeping expectations in check considering it's free, of course), as there are only two trophies. RE7's Not A Hero also only had two, though, despite being an impressive length and quality for a free piece of content.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So how does the adaptive difficulty thing work? The more ammo/healing items you have the harder the enemies/bosses get?

I'm on Claire B (reached the lab) and am kinda swimming in ammo despite not using any gunpowder, same with healing.
I believe all that's known so far from data mining is that it affects your damage done and damage taken.
It works pretty similarly to how it did in RE7 - there's 9 ranks with a score bracket associated with each rank. At hardcore you start at the max, 9, and can only drop down to 8. Standard you start at 4 (100% damage taken/110% done) and can get up to 7(160% taken/80% done).

Here's a link to a google doc page with exact values along with a bunch of other neat info in the other tabs like weapon damage for everything.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe all that's known so far from data mining is that it affects your damage done and damage taken.
It works pretty similarly to how it did in RE7 - there's 9 ranks with a score bracket associated with each rank. At hardcore you start at the max, 9, and can only drop down to 8. Standard you start at 4 (100% damage taken/110% done) and can get up to 7(160% taken/80% done).

Here's a link to a google doc page with exact values along with a bunch of other neat info in the other tabs like weapon damage for everything.

Thank you ^_^

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I think where I land with the OG OST vs New OST, I prefer the lowkey ambient nature of the new OST up until
I get to the sewers
. From that point onward there's just something about the moodier more bombastic nature of the OG OST that works so much better with the rest of the game.

Post-RPD, I also stopped noticing any oddness with track crossfading or triggering that sometimes occurred earlier when moving between rooms with the original OST - everything blended in really well, and the use of the marshalling yard themes in the chess plug save room and red tunnel were fantastically atmospheric.

They could have honestly added even more background tracks later on with the game's pacing - the 1.5 ambient theme would have worked really well in the main shaft / reception / west wing of the lab, and the original, more low-key version of Wreckage of a Mad Experiment could fit in well for the greenhouse.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a bit of a predicament. I'm doing an S+ run for Claire A, and I ended up using up my Flame Rounds by the time I got up to G2. I have 12 Acid Rounds, 12 Mag rounds and like 3 grenades. How fucked am I for a single cycle G2 and if I attempt it will I be screwed by the time I hit G3? What should I do?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for "Two birds, one stone"?
So I have a bit of a predicament. I'm doing an S+ run for Claire A, and I ended up using up my Flame Rounds by the time I got up to G2. I have 12 Acid Rounds, 12 Mag rounds and like 3 grenades. How fucked am I for a single cycle G2 and if I attempt it will I be screwed by the time I hit G3? What should I do?
You probably won't single cycle G3. As for how screwed you are for G3, so long as you save a few mag rounds and try not to use up too many acid rounds on G2 you should be fine. The real tough part will eb getting through the lab without flame rounds to deal with the ivies.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Play The 4th Survivor, and when the dogs are running across the sewer bridge, shotgun two at once. You can also just wait for them to get to you and bunch up.
Of course. For some reason I assumed you had to get those challenges in the main game and that Fourth Survivor wouldn't count.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I have 12 Acid Rounds, 12 Mag rounds and like 3 grenades. How fucked am I for a single cycle G2 and if I attempt it will I be screwed by the time I hit G3? What should I do?
I have exact numbers for my single cycle with flames rounds that I planned so you can use that as a reference.

1 grenade during the ceiling part, 4 spark shots while he chases you in that corridor and 3 flames during the crane to down him.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Son of Sparda Here you go. The first bullet point starts outside the weapons locker because the first couple of steps are pretty quick (go to east hallway, grab some items, escape from zombies (no need to kill them), watch Marvin cutscene, then go to west hallway).

Leon A Scenario
  • Kill zombies outside weapons locker (licker will take over later so it's better if the hallway is clear).
  • Grab hip pouch from West Office safe (9-15-7). Grab handgun upgrade (NED and MRG).
  • If needed, grab handgun ammo from weapons locker.
  • Stop by dark room to drop stuff off. Board up window by staircase.
  • Go up to third floor to pick up spade key. Unlock locker on the way (DCM) and pick up magnum rounds.
  • Pick up boards in C4 room (to board up window in west hallway in front of club door of records room).
  • Start setting up library stacks. Kill zombies if you'd like. Pick up art book.
  • Grab lion medallion (lion-leaf-bird).
  • Insert lion medallion into goddess after cutscene. Drop off mag rounds and extra health items in item box. Keep art book and boards.
  • Board up window in front of record room.
  • Unlock west office door with spade key.
  • Go to east waiting room. Unlock safe for handgun upgrade (6-2-11). Use spade key and discard to get to art room.
  • Go to art room for locker key card. Place art book in hand and place hand on statue to get red ruby.
  • Grab bolt cutters after cutscene.
  • Go to east office. Grab electronic plug and valve. Grab other items (flashbang, gunpowder for shotgun shells) if there's room in inventory. Watch out for zombies coming in through double doors.
  • Use electronic plug on shutters. Drop off any extra items in item box.
  • Go through west hallway to get to operations room. Use bolt cutters then discard. Grab C4 detonator.
  • Go to weapons locker, use keycard, then grab shotgun and shells.
  • Go to second floor. Use valve. Open locked locker (CAP).
  • Go to STARS room (licker in hallway). Pick up battery to combine with detonator and any other items. Grab flashbang for licker in hallway.
  • Go back to hallway (watch out for licker again, may need to throw flashbang). Grab unicorn medallion (fish-scorpion-jug) in room next to library.
  • Go to second floor library to blow up C4. Grab maiden medallion (maiden-bow-snail). Watch out for licker on way out (use flashbang and shotgun) to library.
  • Use maiden and unicorn medallions.
  • Drop off items and prep for G1 battle. First save?
  • Go to jail and pick up crank.
  • Go through kennel. Shoot dogs in cages or use a grenade (may not be necessary).
  • Go to morgue to pick up flashbang and red herb. Don't pick up diamond key.
  • Go to generator room to pick up electronic part. Solve puzzle (3-4) and avoid dogs. Get back 1F RPD.
  • Go to save room to pick up electronic plug. Grab boards from item box and board up windows in hallway.
  • Go through hallway and board up windows. Go up outdoor staircase and pick up boards. Go up to east storage room for gear. Grab any items if there's space.
  • Fall from balcony. Switch hose from R to L. Kill zombies and go to save room for club key.
  • Avoid Mr.X and go to interrogation room. Board up window along the way. Pick up ammo and jewel box.
  • Go to main hall (Mr. X may bust through press room which will give you a shortcut, but if not, go through waiting room). Grab red ruby and gear from item box. Combine ruby with jewel box.
  • Go to west records room (walk to avoid licker), unlock with club key and discard. Grab jack and grenade if there's space. Jiggle heart door to despawn licker in hallway.
  • Go to library. Use jack to free up inventory space, but don't go to clock tower yet.
  • Go to STARS room to pick up magnum. Watch out for licker in that hallway. Mr. X may follow you to this hallway, but he won't enter STARS room. You can wait him out so that you can go back to library without him bothering you.
  • Get to clock tower to get electronic part.
  • Go to east storage room (avoid zombies). Go to outdoor staircase. Get other electronic part from item box. Store magnum. Grab flashbang from item box.
  • Go to jail (avoid dogs). Pick up key card. Avoid Mr. X (there's enough room for you to bait his punch, and run around him) and throw flashbang on zombies.
  • Go to Kendo's shop, pick up shotgun stock and other items.
  • Get through alligator section and do Ada section.
  • Make way to save room. Grab magnum rounds in locked locker (S-Z-F).
  • Get T-bar near cable car. Grab shotgun stock from safe (2-12-8). Don't pick up blue herb (will wake up zombie). Make sure there are at least 5 spaces in inventory.
  • Go to queen/king puzzle room. Avoid G-adults. Grab queen and king pieces and flame thrower.
  • Head towards where rook piece is. Grab rook piece.
  • Set up puzzle and 2nd save before G2.
  • Head towards nap room. Bring only handgun and flamethrower. Pick up any items and keycard upgrade. Combine flamethrower upgrade with flamethrower.
  • Drop off items in item box and head to east area.
  • Go to puzzle room, and unlock both doors (3123 & 2067). Grab dispersal cartridge.
  • Go to drug testing lab and synthesize herbicide (R-G-B-R-G-B-R-G). Grab hand grenade in that room.
  • Go down shaft and into lounge. Kill zombies on ground with grenade. Head towards signal modulator (avoid lickers).
  • Go up staircase and grab signal modulator. Go back downstairs to lounge.
  • Avoid lickers and activate lights.
  • Go to freezer room, and finish herbicide synthesis.
  • Go back to dispersal room through lounge.
  • Drop off items in server room item box. Go through shaft (avoid lickers and ivies).
  • Disperse herbicide, pick up flashbang, and grab keycard upgrade.
  • Avoid ivies and Mr. X. Go back to nap room for hip pouch if good on time.
  • Head to west area and last save before G3 and Super Tyrant.

Oh and another big tip that I feel like isn't well known is that when you pick up items that can be combined with other items, you can combine them right away without needing to free up inventory space. I.e. If I pick up a red herb and there's a green herb already in my inventory, I can just combine the two right away without having to put the red herb in a different space.
Thanks, I'm attempting to use this. Got to the first save before G1 about 21 minutes in, not the fastest time but I think it's a manageable starting place and I was really sick of doing the first part of the game over and over. I took a little extra time boarding up windows and making sure certain zombies were dead but I think it will be worth it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does AOE weapons not count? Seems super easy with the grenade launcher... You can also criple two zombies and line them up for shotgun head shot. I got it early from some dog jumping in my line of fire while I was shooting another dog.
It needs to be a shotgun blast or bullet. grenades and the grenade launcher doesn't count.

I've got it now after a quick run through Fourth Survivor.