• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Holy crap, just wrapped up my first hardcore run. For whatever reason, I was compelled to try Hardcore for the first time while aiming for the "Hardly Armed But Dangerous" weekly challenge, and managed to pull it off! The RPD was by far the hardest part; battling Birkin 1 and dealing with so many zombies without the shotgun was a huge challenge. I thought for sure I wasn't going to be able to handle the return trip where you pass by the east side after activating the power generator with so few supplies. But everything after that went remarkably smooth. Got a ton of mileage out of the magnum and flamethrower on Birkins 2+. I think by the time I go for the S+ run for infinite RL/Minigun, I'll be more than ready.

x9yktLr.png

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Okay. This crane trap is laughably bad. You're nowhere near it and get hit.

The control panel area is the only place safe.

You are supposed to hit the panel button, damage the boss until it goes down, and then hit the panel button again while standing in the panel area. There's enough time.

Of course, it is totally possible to not waste a single bullet on this boss by just being really good at dodging and luring it, but It's very difficult.

Normally you need two hits with the crane to take it down, but if you deal enough damage to the boss (once its eyes turns orange) you only need one hit with the crane to kill it.

It offers solution for smart people, precise people, skilled people and shooting people.

Last edited:

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
It was a kinda disappointing experience.
Only the first part is intricate enough and overall it's quite short, then it gets more straightforward and less mysterious.
Re1 for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I found a bug that prevent you for progress:
In the
lab
if you use the battery first in the nap room, is there a way to take it back? Because i couldn't figure it out and I need it for the
Freezing room
, if you use it in the other way it does give it back.

Also what combination of gunpowder gives fire bullets for Claire?

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I found a bug that prevent you for progress:
In the
lab
if you use the battery first in the nap room, is there a way to take it back? Because i couldn't figure it out and I need it for the
Freezing room
, if you use it in the other way it does give it back.

Also what combination of gunpowder gives fire bullets for Claire?
It should give it back to you as soon as you use it. Also spoiler tags use [ ] not < >.

You can't make flame rounds.

Oct 27, 2017
This might be easier to say with the benefit of hindsight having finished the game a few times, but I wish Mr X was more of a threat, or at least did more to subvert your expectations.

Particularly with the save rooms. I wish they'd done it a bit like the broken door knob in REmake, where you have a limited number of uses before it becomes either inaccessible or at least more dangerous. Maybe allow you one or two "safe" uses of a save room, with an animation of him trying but failing to crash through the door, before smashing his way in on the second or third time he sees you go in there. You could still use the typewriter in the room thereafter, but not use it as an exploit to avoid Mr X or zombies/lickers.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
yeah the original game is indeed better

No doubt the original is better, I haven't even played the original and even I feel that way.

However, there're many things this remake does better than the original and even better than most games out there.

The extremely detailed and dynamic zombies for example, I've never played a game where fighting zombies feels this interesting.

In the old RE games shooting zombies is always a chore, you don't get to decide which part to shoot and even if you do it doesn't really change up the gameplay.

Toxa

Oct 28, 2017
No doubt the original is better, I haven't even played the original and even I feel that way.

However, there're many things this remake does better than the original and even better than most games out there.

There extremely detailed and dynamic zombies for example, I've never played a game where fighting zombies feels this interesting.

In the old RE games shooting zombies is always a chore, you don't get to decide which part to shoot and even if you do it doesn't really change up the gameplay.

for sure and I agree with ;) make no mistake I like a lot the remake

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I find myself avoiding [2nd Run] (B route) altogether on replays due to how broken and inconsistent the story feels.

So far I've played Leon A and Claire A many, many times (still playing right now by the way) but only once for each Leon B and Claire B.

Someone pointed out earlier that 2nd Run isn't actually B route but more like a rearranged mode, I have to say I completely agree.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I find myself avoiding [2nd Run] (B route) altogether on replays due to how broken and inconsistent the story feels.

So far I've played Leon A and Claire A many, many times (still playing right now by the way) but only once for each Leon B and Claire B.

Someone pointed out earlier that 2nd Run isn't actually B route but more like a rearranged mode, I have to say I completely agree.
The fact that you don't get a proper intro, nor meet Marvin is kinda deflating, I agree. Plus, Claire's B scenario extra weapon is a revolver worse than her original one.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Should I play the original RE2 before this, or is there no real reason to go back to that version (like how I'd say REmake is the true RE1 experience)?

I've had the original for years, but I've never played it past the first 20 minutes.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that 2nd Run lacks the intro and streamlines the sewers and lab is why I only replayed on it for S+. If I'm trying to be as fast as possible and skipping the story it's just better to have a leaner experience to begin with.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Should I play the original RE2 before this, or is there no real reason to go back to that version (like how I'd say REmake is the true RE1 experience)?

I've had the original for years, but I've never played it past the first 20 minutes.

This game is not like REmake to RE1, this is more like a re-imagining of RE2, as Capcom themselves put it.

There're many things in this game that's very different to the original, sure the concept is the same but the game itself is very much different games.

RE2 (2019) is my game of the generation but it's in no way a replacement for the original like REmake did to RE1.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Unlike the RE1 remake this game does not replace the original at all. You can play them in any order you prefer.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This game is not like REmake to RE1, this is more like a re-imagining of RE2, as Capcom themselves put it.

There're many things in this game that's very different to the original, sure the concept is the same but the game itself is very much different games.

RE2 (2019) is my game of the generation but it's in no way a replacement for the original like REmake did to RE1.

Unlike the RE1 remake this game does not replace the original at all. You can play them in any order you prefer.

Ah, OK, thanks. I'll have to give both of them a go then.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

I don't have the source on me at the moment, but I believe one of the producers recently said that REmake 2 is supplemental to the canon of the original game, not an overwrite of it. That, and there's apparently a good bit of content that didn't make it into the remake, so this isn't comparable to the RE1 and REmake situation. I'm excited to play the original RE2 myself within the next week or so.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all are blasphemous saying that REmake is the true RE1 experience, nothing will take away what that did in 1996.
I've only ever played maybe a quarter of the original RE1 (vs. getting the Platinum in REmake), so I can't judge as accurately as people who have completed both, but REmake seems to respect the original's level design and gameplay while expanding on it in several ways, so I guess that's why it's viewed as the definitive one. The contrast between original game and remake is not as stark as with RE2. I'd guess it's like Metroid 1 vs. Zero Mission: I would never recommend the original over the remake (though, OG RE1 seems to have aged waaay better than OG Metroid, to be fair).

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just reach the final area of the game. This is my second RE game. RE 4 was my first and it was ok. A bit too goofy for my taste especially coming from Silent Hill.

But RE2 is fantastic. I love the atmosphere and the insurmountable odds you have to overcome. Puzzles give me alone in the dark vibes.

The only part I didn't like was
Ada and her high tech gizmo.

I don't have a lot of gaming time, so I don't know if I can do the B route, but if I were 20 years younger I would probably 100% this game.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Just reach the final area of the game. This is my second RE game. RE 4 was my first and it was ok. A bit too goofy for my taste especially coming from Silent Hill.

But RE2 is fantastic. I love the atmosphere and the insurmountable odds you have to overcome. Puzzles give me alone in the dark vibes.

The only part I didn't like was
Ada and her high tech gizmo.

I don't have a lot of gaming time, so I don't know if I can do the B route, but if I were 20 years younger I would probably 100% this game.

The B route is definitely quicker overall due to the streamlined opening and your experience from the first run through, so that's something to consider if you want to see the other side of the story and full ending, which is very incomplete on the first run.

Regarding your spoiler:

Ada's dumb gadgets and the physical comedy of her scenes with Annette aren't new territory for the series, but they do stick out here a lot more compared to a game like RE6 or Revelations 1.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Just started the 2nd run (with Claire) as I played KH3 after Leon's campaign. I appreciated they changed things up a bit, makes the game feel less rote. Mr. X is still super anxiety enduing the 2nd time around.

Oct 25, 2017
A, but I lost a whole five minutes compared to Claire. I'm also realizing doing the portable safes is a little more justifiable for Leon since the shotgun upgrades and magnum make a bigger difference for him.

Oh yeah, you have more than enough time. I had over 30 minutes leftover from my S+ hardcore run on A, but I didn't get the portable safes and last magnum upgrade (so once I was in the sewers, I didn't go back to RPD anymore). I did get all shotgun upgrades though.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Ok...need help.

Leon a hardcore lab qyestions.

First is 1:50 enough to s+ when entering the area?

Second...I'm just before circle room fight ... need strategy...ammo looks ok...20 + shotty and mag...health looks bad...1 green herb. Should I try and find some in the area? How do I win with little to no damage and save time?

Finally...after that...do I have enough to tackle the last fight?

Thanks. :)

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
This might be easier to say with the benefit of hindsight having finished the game a few times, but I wish Mr X was more of a threat, or at least did more to subvert your expectations.

Particularly with the save rooms. I wish they'd done it a bit like the broken door knob in REmake, where you have a limited number of uses before it becomes either inaccessible or at least more dangerous. Maybe allow you one or two "safe" uses of a save room, with an animation of him trying but failing to crash through the door, before smashing his way in on the second or third time he sees you go in there. You could still use the typewriter in the room thereafter, but not use it as an exploit to avoid Mr X or zombies/lickers.

That would be awful. Especially for a player's first play through.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don' t want to play Remake 3 if Nemesis is as annoying as Mr X , open a door after finding a part, rocket to the face. I reloaded saves to solve puzzles earlier to just avoid him and sometimes I would run to the rest room in the safer right side of the police station, so annoying. I'm sure he randomly teleports as well. Nemesis in the original was the right balance of scripted and stalking gameplay.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017

Or tie a achievement to completing the game without saving.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Y'all are blasphemous saying that REmake is the true RE1 experience, nothing will take away what that did in 1996.
I've only ever played maybe a quarter of the original RE1 (vs. getting the Platinum in REmake), so I can't judge as accurately as people who have completed both, but REmake seems to respect the original's level design and gameplay while expanding on it in several ways, so I guess that's why it's viewed as the definitive one. The contrast between original game and remake is not as stark as with RE2. I'd guess it's like Metroid 1 vs. Zero Mission: I would never recommend the original over the remake (though, OG RE1 seems to have aged waaay better than OG Metroid, to be fair).
The expansions to the original were questionable in my opinion, and the graphical changes weren't necessarily for the better in some instances.

We had a thread about this recently, maybe someone can link to it if you want to discuss this further.

RE2make is a totally different kind of remake though.

Oct 27, 2017
That would be awful. Especially for a player's first play through.

I don't know. The presence of Mr X creates the danger anyway so players are already on their toes. Unless you read about it online, that Mr X can't access certain areas (and can access others you assume he can't) is all by trial and error anyway.

The best elements of both Resident Evil remakes are the ways in which they subvert and play around with your expectations coming off the originals. Assuming save rooms are safe, but then not becoming as time goes on, is something I think would be really cool.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don' t want to play Remake 3 if Nemesis is as annoying as Mr X , open a door after finding a part, rocket to the face. I reloaded saves to solve puzzles earlier to just avoid him and sometimes I would run to the rest room in the safer right side of the police station, so annoying. I'm sure he randomly teleports as well. Nemesis in the original was the right balance of scripted and stalking gameplay.
He does teleport but it's not random. For example while playing as Claire picking up the grenade in the records room teleports Mr. X outside the door and makes him go in after you.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. The presence of Mr X creates the danger anyway so players are already on their toes. Unless you read about it online, that Mr X can't access certain areas (and can access others you assume he can't) is all by trial and error anyway.

The best elements of both Resident Evil remakes are the ways in which they subvert and play around with your expectations coming off the originals. Assuming save rooms are safe, but then not becoming as time goes on, is something I think would be really cool.

Sure, maybe in Remake 2 Director's Cut or something. But the safe room is always safe. That's a fundamental rule of Resident Evil. I think it's unreasonable to criticize the remake for not breaking that rule

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I think you could just have a "Harder-core" mode where Mr X can go into any room. Then it's an extra optional challenge.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I would be up for Mr. X being more mobile and/or generally more dynamic if we got some more fleshed out mechanics on our end to deal with that.

Simply baiting an attack and jogging away from it like you're warming up at the track on Sunday morning isn't terribly satisfying as it is and I can't imagine how annoying it would be if he were to be even more fleshed out in any direction.

I'd actually really like this whole concept fleshed-out in REmake 3 because as it stands, Mr. X is simply a moving wall of sorts and I think it would've been much more engaging if you could've "danced" with him a bit. Sure, there are some simple things like being able to hide behind a door he opens, or the shower stalls and watch him stomp past but I'm not sure him having tunnel vision qualifies as a mechanic per say.

I've grown to really like his presence in A scenarios but find him irritating and honestly boring in B due to his near-constant presence in the PD.

Edit: Basically, I really want to see a well-implemented dodge mechanic of some sort in REmake 3. I don't want easy mode or acrobatics just let this motherfucker duck and maybe fall on his face to avoid a deathly pummeling via some sort of...hard to pull off 'parry' of sorts. The more I play REmake 2, the weirder it feels that there's just nothing available other than the relaxed jog. An undead bag of bones and meat is lunging at you to rip your face off with its teeth, TRY to duck man.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Based on so of the complaints I'm reading, Mr. X going into a save room wouldn't solve anything. Big deal if he could walk in. I would just run around a table and leave him behind again.

Let's remember how Mr. X was in the original. You would be stuck in a room with him and shoot until he fell down. Then he would completely stop following you. Remake's Mr. X is a huge improvement. Yeah I can run around him, but that's by design. Every place you first encounter him has enough room for you to run around him. But a player will likely not know this until their second play through.

Also, many seem to be forgetting how the RE series has always been. During your first play through, everything is new, scary, and challenging. Subsequent play-throughs are easier and it becomes a speed run more than anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on so of the complaints I'm reading, Mr. X going into a save room wouldn't solve anything. Big deal if he could walk in. I would just run around a table and leave him behind again.

Let's remember how Mr. X was in the original. You would be stuck in a room with him and shoot until he fell down. Then he would completely stop following you. Remake's Mr. X is a huge improvement. Yeah I can run around him, but that's by design. Every place you first encounter him has enough room for you to run around him. But a player will likely not know this until their second play through.

Also, many seem to be forgetting how the RE series has always been. During your first play through, everything is new, scary, and challenging. Subsequent play-throughs are easier and it becomes a speed run more than anything.

Yep, this mirrors my opinion on Mr. X. It's so easy to forget that even in this very thread, people would stop playing the game because of how menacing Mr. X was. Remake2 did enough to subvert our expectations for what Mr. X can do (compared to OG RE2, at least) that it felt new. Obviously, once you get to your second playthrough or later, he almost becomes a cakewalk, but that's basically all REs though. It's a game of trial and error, and this remake is no different.

Oct 26, 2017

Remake X is just plain boring after a few encounters. The only time he can get dangerous is if his pathing decides to run circles in front of a door, punching you through the door when opening it