• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2018
I'm missing 1 file and it's really bothering me. Any other easily missable files other than the one on the admin computer in NEST or the 2nd floor of the orphanage as Claire?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm missing 1 file and it's really bothering me. Any other easily missable files other than the one on the admin computer in NEST or the 2nd floor of the orphanage as Claire?
The one about ID wristbands when you get to NEST. It's on the board when you enter the item box room, and you won't get the prompt for it unless you walk straight up to it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Actually I think I got that one. Any others?
The one that tells you about Lickers, about how they're blind as bats, on the third floor of RPD. I missed that one myself because the map told me the room was blue, and I had no reason to walk to the end of the hall.

The one near the cable car that tells you the combination to the safe is written on the side of it.

The one at NEST in the room where you pick up the flamethrower or Spark Shot add-on, after you restore power using the Signal Modulator. It's Wayne Li's Note.

If you have all these already, go here and go one by one, reading the files and determining whether or not they seem familiar to you.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Yeah. She's great. Really grew on me, and I ended up liking her more than Leon.
Same here, she's the real hero of the game IMO.
That
"go take care of your daughter, I'm gonna finish this" moment when she jumps down the platform to face G3
was sooo good, and a true testament of how badass she's become through the night.

Leon is great too, but I didn't find his characterization and evolution to be that interesting. He's supposed to be naive but they take it a bit too far IMO.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That
"go take care of your daughter, I'm gonna finish this" moment when she jumps down the platform to face G3
was sooo good, and a true testament of how badass she's become through the night.

Leon is great too, but I didn't find his characterization and evolution to be that interesting. He's supposed to be naive but they take it a bit too far IMO.
I feel the same way, both about that Claire moment, and about Leon.

Leon is really goofy in this. In an endearing way, of course, but not enough to surpass Claire's sheer big sister / mommy powers that carry her through to the end, lol. The Leon and Ada dynamic isn't as good as Claire and Sherry's.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the cross hairs close in for an accurate shot, does it also do more damage? I've got a sneaking suspicion it does (most of my critical hits or quick zombie drops seem to happen when I've let them close in), but dont know for certain.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
When the cross hairs close in for an accurate shot, does it also do more damage? I've got a sneaking suspicion it does (most of my critical hits or quick zombie drops seem to happen when I've let them close in), but dont know for certain.
According to the official web manual, your shots do increase in power.
5pFs3WV.png

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That

That's my favourite scene in the game, it solidified Claire's campaign as my favourite of the two.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017

Yes it does, you can see the data for the weapons here to see the damage if you focus the aim or not ( it's called "aimed damage" )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...c5FaGYmJiVvFQFi5nt5sOEfOg/edit#gid=1925442099

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it does, you can see the data for the weapons here to see the damage if you focus the aim or not ( it's called "aimed damage" )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...c5FaGYmJiVvFQFi5nt5sOEfOg/edit#gid=1925442099

Sheeeeeet. S+'d everything and only now do I have this confirmed. I never really went for "aimed shots" in all my playthroughs. No wonder people blow through so much ammo. Not a bad idea really for trying to keep the player "rooted" to get the most out of their shots (in a classic sense anyway). Thanks!

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I really doubt it's this one, but there's one file about 'G' in the first save room in the sewers as Claire that's on a board in the wall. I missed it once by jumping directly into the sewers and I don't think you can go back for that one.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
This person has the hottest take on RE2.

Early on, protagonists Claire and Leon hear a radio message instructing all citizens to head for the station.

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?

I'm also not really allowed to do anything I please, as the verbs are pretty limited. I wanted to play with all the food items in the store in the opening gameplay scene. Look at all the goofy fake labels and such, like I do in a Life is Strange game or a walking sim. But that's a very different sort of permission fantasy, isn't it?

I barely finished the article. Reaffirms my reasons not to take gaming journalism seriously.

Nov 1, 2018
That

That was Claire's worst moment in the campaign. Highly uncharacteristic of a sane person. No one would willingly go down the platform with a 4 armed hell-beast looking mutant. No one. Certainly not a college student looking for her brother. Leon at least was forced down there with G-Birkin by Annette.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That was Claire's worst moment in the campaign. Highly uncharacteristic of a sane person. No one would willingly go down the platform with a 4 armed hell-beast looking mutant. No one. Certainly not a college student looking for her brother.
Nor would a guy drive into a zombie infested town and say "I wish I'd gotten here sooner!", but these are Resident Evil protagonists, so they can be better than us.

Plus, Claire had a grenade launcher and a Spark Shot. She was probably feeling pretty good about her odds.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Danielle is great though and it's an interesting perspective on the game. Don't understand the backlash to this article at all.
It's because a lot of the points raised are outright bizarre. RE2 portrays our heroes as compassionate as they can be. Leon and Claire both want to save Marvin. Leon takes a bullet for Ada, Claire spends the entire game helping Sherry.

The police station is an unsafe haven for people of color... yeah, I don't think that applies during a zombie outbreak. It's us, the human race, versus them, the zombies. I don't think racism would be as prevalent in the fictionalized scenario the game paints for us. In addition to that, it's not like the game makes it a point to show the RPD is all sunshine and rainbows, as the chief is a vile, corrupt human being under the thumb of Umbrella. That, and Marvin, a POC police lieutenant, is one of the most human, most competent officers in the station, holding out longer than anyone else. There's certainly a place for social commentary in narrative driven games, but Resident Evil has never been about that, so it's a clear cut case of over-analysis here, in my opinion.

She then claims she wants to examine food packages at the gas station, like in Life is Strange... but this is a survival horror game where our main characters are just trying to make it through the night, not aimlessly read soup can labels?

Then the remorse about looting the first aid sprays and stuff, when there are no signs of human life in the entire station, Marvin aside. The place is a zombie and Licker infested hellhole, and from what we're inclined to believe, so is the rest of Raccoon City.

For the cherry on top, she complains about game logic, like using an herb to heal wounds. I can't take that criticism seriously, it's the ultimate reach.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018
Nor would a guy drive into a zombie infested town and say "I wish I'd gotten here sooner!", but these are Resident Evil protagonists, so they can be better than us.

Plus, Claire had a grenade launcher and a Spark Shot. She was probably feeling pretty good about her odds.
Letting a "I wish I had gotten here sooner" from a young eager rookie cop vs someone going toe to toe with a seemingly unkillable demon are not comparable ...

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
That was Claire's worst moment in the campaign. Highly uncharacteristic of a sane person. No one would willingly go down the platform with a 4 armed hell-beast looking mutant. No one. Certainly not a college student looking for her brother. Leon at least was forced down there with G-Birkin by Annette.

I didn't find it unbelievable at that point in the game given how her character was portrayed - with everything she'd been through already and the possibility of Sherry getting a cure so close; volunteering to jump down there so Annette could get away sooner made sense; even if Birkin did kill her there, they might be able to get out alive.

It also reflects her general dynamic with other characters, along with the impulsive hard-headedness that spurred on her rush back to Raccoon City in the first place, she was forced to lead and take charge due to Sherry's youth and Annette's inaction; while Leon was strung along and kept in the dark by Ada - as such, it's a choice that works as effective characterisation continuing the themes of their routes up to that point.

It's definitely much more of a cheesy action hero moment than the player characters had gotten up to that point, but I think it was a very appropriately placed one that transitioned nicely from Claire running away from Birkin 2 to blasting his fourth and potentially fifth form with a minigun.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Letting a "I wish I had gotten here sooner" from a young eager rookie cop vs someone going toe to toe with a seemingly unkillable demon are not comparable ...
I think you get my point regardless. Leon wants to help because he's a rookie cop and a good guy, Claire is competent because Chris taught her how to take care of herself. It's not that deep. Resident Evil characters are very archetypal, very tropey heroes. If we applied real world logic to these things, neither of them would ever get anywhere, since they'd have a mental breakdown after a few Licker encounters and Mr. X chasing them around constantly.
Is this meant to be a troll? Everything she wrote is utterly stupid. Police keeping the "racist status quo"? That's among the dumbest shit I've ever read.
There's no need to be this hostile.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Regarding the orphanage in Claire Run 2:
I was really creeped out reading the letter mentioning how all the kids were killed in an incident. He/She cold bloodedly said that there are no worries and we can come with a story to lie to the neighbours regarding how the kids "disappeared". He/She also said that they will bring new "test subjects" to the orphanage.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the orphanage in Claire Run 2:
I was really creeped out reading the letter mentioning how all the kids were killed in an incident. He/She cold bloodedly said that there are no worries and we can come with a story to lie to the neighbours regarding how the kids "disappeared". He/She also said that they will bring new "test subjects" to the orphanage.

The implications of the
orphanage notes
were the most unsettling part of the game -
especially considering how that tied into the experiment log in the Birkins' office, and all of Oliver's timeline.

REmake 1 had Lisa Trevor, RE:RE2 had the orphanage, I'm excited to see what horrible things are going to happen to kids in the 3 remake.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

That was an absolutely awesome moment and is the Claire we know and love.

Sep 12, 2018
For the cherry on top, she complains about game logic, like using an herb to heal wounds. I can't take that criticism seriously, it's the ultimate reach.
You missed the part where she said "And after awhile, I subtly give in to its goofy logic.", it's not a complaint as much as it is an observation from the perspective of her helping people survive in real life. It can be helpful and interesting to look at games through the lens of different life experiences and this is all that piece as doing. It's not meant as an attack on the game, which fwiw I think I love more than any game that came out last year.

Is this meant to be a troll? Everything she wrote is utterly stupid. Police keeping the "racist status quo"? That's among the dumbest shit I've ever read.
I don't know why you're so angry at it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You missed the part where she said "And after awhile, I subtly give in to its goofy logic.", it's not a complaint as much as it is an observation from the perspective of her helping people survive in real life. It can be helpful and interesting to look at games through the lens of different life experiences and this is all that piece as doing. It's not meant as an attack on the game, which fwiw I think I love more than any game that came out last year.
I'll agree, regarding the validity and importance of diverse lenses through which to view these things. I can respect the fact that she helps real people to survive on a daily basis, too. It's just that some of the implications, like that our heroes need to be more compassionate (they're kind to and want to help every living human they meet), or invoking Life is Strange when it's a totally different sort of game, I found odd.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I too demand a certain level of realism in my zombie games.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This person has the hottest take on RE2.

I barely finished the article. Reaffirms my reasons not to take gaming journalism seriously.

there's something disingenuous about criticizing the police as a racist organization leading to a poc's potential mistrust of the police in the same breathe of complaining that you can't play with the food in your game. im sure danielle's a nice person but that's that kind of superficial wokeness that's laughable.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

Disagreed. Throughout the game, she's played as being much tougher and experienced than Leon. That scene, in particular, highlights the disparity between the two, and I think that was intentional. Leon's the Rookie Cop, and Claire is the adventurous heroine who has seen some shit, especially by that point in the game.

More broadly speaking, Claire is never portrayed as a college student out of her depth. It's suggested throughout the game that she's tough as nails, including the letter from her friend talking about her many solo adventures and how Chris taught her to defend herself. Leon, on the other hand... It's his first day. He's a far cry from the badass in RE4.

Dec 6, 2017
US
After all this time, I still find Leon's little "hmmpf....hmpppffff" sound amusing while running.

It's like he's contemplating the big things in life but can't get the question out every time.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Disagreed. Throughout the game, she's played as being much tougher and experienced than Leon. That scene, in particular, highlights the disparity between the two, and I think that was intentional. Leon's the Rookie Cop, and Claire is the adventurous heroine who has seen some shit, especially by that point in the game.

More broadly speaking, Claire is never portrayed as a college student out of her depth. It's suggested throughout the game that she's tough as nails, including the letter from her friend talking about her many solo adventures and how Chris taught her to defend herself. Leon, on the other hand... It's his first day. He's a far cry from the badass in RE4.
She's a Redfield that is all lol. But yeah it's talked about how her brother trained her growing up. But at the end of the day it's hard for me to talk about realism in games. I can suspend my disbelief tons so I know it's supposed to be a more grounded RE game but, it's still a piece of fiction at the end of the day.

Jun 18, 2018
What's annoying about that article is that they seem to offer no appreciation of the genre / game structure (they played the original RE2, what were they expecting?) and they do nothing to explore alternative survival titles that may offer the role they're looking for. As a result, it feels more like a statement piece with some cultural references chucked in than an interesting and useful look at the role of survivor across a variety of horror & survival games. I want to know how they dealt with injured people and resource gathering in Day Z, for example. Or did the co-op dynamics in RE:Outbreak push the genre in the appropriate direction for them.

And I think the proof of that lies in the rather weak comparison with A:I

RE 2 successfully put me in this mindset inside of its first hour, from the sort of player who usually loves to admire every tiny detail and art asset to a… grabby, selfish, grizzled jerk. Not even Alien: Isolation did that for me.

A:I required me to pilfer more from the world than RE2, and then use the items I found to build tools to encourage the Alien to horrifically kill other human occupants on the Sevestopal. If the author was aligned with their own article, wouldn't they want a game in which Amanda could use her expertise to help evacuate the Sevestapol?

And taking it a step further, I do think that resource sharing would be a great addition to survival horror, letting players pass over supplies to NPCs in order to earn their trust, further the player's progress and increase their chances of survival. I don't think that's really been explored outside of RE: Outbreak and Computer Artwork's The Thing, and it deserves to be.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to mention while Resident Evil doesn't have much deeper social commentary and never has, REmake 2 I do think succeeds at being the RE game with the most human element and I think the best side characters in the series. Even ignoring Sherry and Ada, I think Marvin is one of the most empathetic characters in the series in this rendition, Irons is one of the most vile characters in the series history, it's easy to feel for Kendo as well, Annette I think is interestingly gray in her standing, and so on. Hell, even the truck driver is a bit fun to watch.

I kinda' really hope RE continues with these stronger side characters (and characters in general) going forward, I think RE7's Bakers were also incredibly strong characters, and to be honest I think this has been a weak area for the series for almost a decade ever since RE5 (which RE5 still had weaker areas of this, but I did like Josh, Irving, Wesker, etc, but REmake 2 is definitely in a different class than it is). I think there's good signs this may be the case, since I honestly think the writing of the series and making the characters more likable has been on the upswing since Revelations 2 (which had issues, but Natalia was an actually likable child character, Barry was great in Rev 2, and Moira I came to like as well), going into RE7, and I think REmake 2 currently is the high-mark in an interesting cast of characters for the series.

I know it's not high art or the deepest characters you'll find out there, but Resident Evil having interesting characters again I think makes the series a whole lot more appealing for whatever reason.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
About to try the 14000 steps trophy, anybody have any tips or guides? It'll be my fifth playthrough but kinda hard for me to remember where everything is across the different scenarios.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
About to try the 14000 steps trophy, anybody have any tips or guides? It'll be my fifth playthrough but kinda hard for me to remember where everything is across the different scenarios.
I did mine with infinite weapons, to minimize having to go out of the way to pick up resources. You can use a mini bullet point walkthrough to help out as well.

Remember that you can save, figure out what you need to do, and then reload your save to do it in fewer steps.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You could shadow a normal or assisted speedrun on YouTube, I finished in a little over 10k steps and I wasn't even going for it.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to mention while Resident Evil doesn't have much deeper social commentary and never has, REmake 2 I do think succeeds at being the RE game with the most human element and I think the best side characters in the series. Even ignoring Sherry and Ada, I think Marvin is one of the most empathetic characters in the series in this rendition, Irons is one of the most vile characters in the series history, it's easy to feel for Kendo as well, Annette I think is interestingly gray in her standing, and so on. Hell, even the truck driver is a bit fun to watch.

I kinda' really hope RE continues with these stronger side characters (and characters in general) going forward, I think RE7's Bakers were also incredibly strong characters, and to be honest I think this has been a weak area for the series for almost a decade ever since RE5 (which RE5 still had weaker areas of this, but I did like Josh, Irving, Wesker, etc, but REmake 2 is definitely in a different class than it is). I think there's good signs this may be the case, since I honestly think the writing of the series and making the characters more likable has been on the upswing since Revelations 2 (which had issues, but Natalia was an actually likable child character, Barry was great in Rev 2, and Moira I came to like as well), going into RE7, and I think REmake 2 currently is the high-mark in an interesting cast of characters for the series.

I know it's not high art or the deepest xharacters you'll find out there, but Resident Evil having interesting characters again I think makes the series a whole lot more appealing for whatever reason.

I think the RE Engine has kind of forced Capcom's hand. When you have such detailed character models, you want to do them justice.