• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I started to practice for my S+ Hardcore runs and am noticing how I hate the camera rotating me when a zombie bites me. The fact that lots of times I didn't know where I am facing after the animation ends killed me more times than anything else.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Are the new Ghost Survivors mode for sadists or what? I had difficulty going through the whole Kendo's campaign on training mode ffs.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I just gotta vent for a second...

G2 is so fucking bad on Hardcore, I had to give up. I was seriously loving Hardcore but G2 broke me and soured me hugely on that run.

I disliked the bosses prior but after several runs, I learned to just deal with them and regard them as annoying short-lived inconveniences. On Hardcore, G2 exacerbates every single gripe I have with the game in general and packs it into one tiny, idiotic arena with a boss whose hit boxes can cover half of said arena.

I really wanted to beat it on Hardcore but jesus was this the epitome of bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Are the new Ghost Survivors mode for sadists or what? I had difficulty going through the whole Kendo's campaign on training mode ffs.

I don't think I'm a sadist, and I found them enjoyable enough. You have to treat them like a condensed version of the main game, and not like the more action-oriented extra modes in other RE games like raid or mercenaries. So there's a lot more trial and error and figuring out what to do than there is pumping ammo into enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
eiq1y8344ci21.jpg

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm gonna keep saying this, but having a couple flash grenades saved up before G2 makes him significantly less frustrating.

That's my tactic yea. I have three on me and the pickup and try to waste as little ammo as possible, if any. I just find reliably evading his hits combined with their higher damage on Hardcore near impossible. I've tried him like 12 times today and gave up.

I even beat him on my first Normal play the second time.

Oct 25, 2017
That's my tactic yea. I have three on me and the pickup and try to waste as little ammo as possible, if any. I just find reliably evading his hits combined with their higher damage on Hardcore near impossible. I've tried him like 12 times today and gave up.

I tend to use up two or three full heals on this one because of his damage output. I tend to kite him on his right arm to bait his attacks. He has one where it's three slashes which ends with him smashing the ground. Same with his jumping attack. Both of those give me enough time to pump some rounds into him. You kind of have to damage him a little bit because it'll take three crane hits otherwise.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I started to practice for my S+ Hardcore runs and am noticing how I hate the camera rotating me when a zombie bites me. The fact that lots of times I didn't know where I am facing after the animation ends killed me more times than anything else.

Yeah, that's really annoying. I wish it would just pan back behind the character. Hopefully they will patch it in.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I tend to use up two or three full heals on this one because of his damage output. I tend to kite him on his right arm to bait his attacks. He has one where it's three slashes which ends with him smashing the ground. Same with his jumping attack. Both of those give me enough time to pump some rounds into him. You kind of have to damage him a little bit because it'll take three crane hits otherwise.

His hitboxes feel like they're bullshit.

And I thought you always had to stun him for there to be enough time for the crane to hit him, which would always damage him enough for only two crane hits to be necessary.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This person has the hottest take on RE2.

I barely finished the article. Reaffirms my reasons not to take gaming journalism seriously.

Wow...

I made it to the following passage and just could not go on anymore. It's ludicrous.

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?

I mean, she is obviously welcome to here opinion as much as anyone, but why is she demanding a realistic representation of actual America in this over-the-top fantasy game about zombies?

I really liked Danielle on Idle Thumbs a few years back, but I really cannot entertain this nonsense.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whenever I'm in a pinch like that or disoriented in general, I immediately hit the map button.

It pauses the game and you can see exactly where your character is facing and where you want to go.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
This game is amazingly beautiful. I just spent like 20 minutes straight up just staring at wallpaper in the break room and library. The sense of place is so well done.

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
Just popped this on my Ps4 pro, first time playing RE2.

Everything looks too bright! I read the HDR is screwed up. Any recommendations? Playing with HDR off? Have Capcom said if they're working on a fix or something?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Mr X was supposed to stop stalking you after you finish the clock tower puzzle and get the electric part, but I can still hear him walking around.

This is on the Leon A route.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Mr X was supposed to stop stalking you after you finish the clock tower puzzle and get the electric part, but I can still hear him walking around.

This is on the Leon A route.

I mean you should have a pretty quick route to the parking garage. I've never encountered X after the clock tower, but yes I have heard him.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I've only just got to the sewers in Leon A.
I'm on my 24th save and have racked up 5 hours.

On Assisted Difficulty.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair that's an intended effect to incentivize avoiding getting bitten at all. Especially since getting bitten gives you a second or two of being unable to be grabbed that'd be pretty abuseable.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Just got the platinum

D0LybqRXQAAQMFj.jpg:large

My only previous experience with Resident Evil was RE7, which I thought was good but not incredible so I was really surprised that RE2 is so great. It's up there with the best games on PS4, in my opinion. Also managed to beat the No Way Out DLC so sitting at 100% of the trophies.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone

Trying to decide on getting this on PC vs XB1X.

I have an OLED TV but I read in the demo thread there were some issues with the raised black levels and HDR implementation in the demo, has that been fixed in the final version? Is the HDR well-implemented?

If not, I can pick up the PC version on sale for around $45 but I'd be willing to pay $60 for the XB1X version if the HDR and black levels will look good on my OLED.

Thanks!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to even attempt speedrunning because I just can't help myself with getting absorbed with the atmosphere. It never gets old no matter how many times I go through this game. I attempted it at the start of my Claire A Hardcore run, but just said "fuck it" and just check out the scenery again.

Any news on a potential announcement for more DLC? I will gladly pay for some new story DLC. I think an Ada DLC with some new settings and enemies is a no brainer, but I would flip my shit if we got an Elza Walker DLC. Apparently, Capcom was even considering her to be in the game but it just didn't work out. I'd imagine her starting out in Racoon University and making her way to another police station across town that looks more like the 1.5 RPD and her objective would be to get to the roof for a helicopter escape. I think it would make sense that there is another police station since there is no heliport. How did STARS depart to the Spencer Mansion with no helicopter garages or helipads at the RPD? The crashed helicopter we see didn't seem to crash during an escape, but to save remaining officers in the RPD.

I'd still be down for a randomizer mode, but I think something like that should just be a free update if they don't include any actual new content like enemies and locations.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Did a couple "official" speedruns of Leon A standard (single segment/no bonus weapons/no saves/no deaths). My best time is 1:30:17. There's lots of room for improvement - I had bad G1/G2 fights and picked up too much ammo/healing, didn't take the most super-optimal route in places, etc. But I'm happy with the time for now and having fun trying to beat my own time!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm attempting to shoot all the mr raccoons this afternoon. Do I need to clear the campaign each time to verify that this has been done or can I quit out once I know I've gotten all of them in the A/B campaigns respectively? I kinda have a clear idea of which ones I've gotten (the guide I'm following has images of the locations and having gone through the campaign quite a few times now I can remember well enough if I've gotten them off image alone) later in the game but there are a few early ones I know I haven't across each A/B run. Just want to know if I should just run through the campaign as fast as possible on assisted mode to get this challenge done.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm attempting to shoot all the mr raccoons this afternoon. Do I need to clear the campaign each time to verify that this has been done or can I quit out once I know I've gotten all of them in the A/B campaigns respectively? I kinda have a clear idea of which ones I've gotten (the guide I'm following has images of the locations and having gone through the campaign quite a few times now I can remember well enough if I've gotten them off image alone) later in the game but there are a few early ones I know I haven't across each A/B run. Just want to know if I should just run through the campaign as fast as possible on assisted mode to get this challenge done.

Once you've shot a raccoon, it doesn't return in any other scenario so you'll only find the ones you haven't shot yet. Yeah, it's best to just do it in assisted.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Just popped this on my Ps4 pro, first time playing RE2.

Everything looks too bright! I read the HDR is screwed up. Any recommendations? Playing with HDR off? Have Capcom said if they're working on a fix or something?
the HDR is not screwed up, it's the 2nd calibration setting that is leading everyone astray. EvilBoris looked into it and this is the setting I've been going with

set the first setting according to what you see, it's the 2nd setting (the red/blue bar) that needs to be adjusted according to the tweet. The HDR in this game is great.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone

Trying to decide on getting this on PC vs XB1X.

I have an OLED TV but I read in the demo thread there were some issues with the raised black levels and HDR implementation in the demo, has that been fixed in the final version? Is the HDR well-implemented?

If not, I can pick up the PC version on sale for around $45 but I'd be willing to pay $60 for the XB1X version if the HDR and black levels will look good on my OLED.

Thanks!
HDR is well implemented, it's the 2nd calibration setting that is leading people astray. Refer to the tweet from EvilBoris I posted and you should be good. On the blue/red bar, go all the way left and then move right 3 or 4 ticks (I do 3 and it looks good).

As for which version to get, the pc version also has HDR as well, and runs like a dream so choose wisely :P

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
the HDR is not screwed up, it's the 2nd calibration setting that is leading everyone astray. EvilBoris looked into it and this is the setting I've been going with

set the first setting according to what you see, it's the 2nd setting (the red/blue bar) that needs to be adjusted according to the tweet. The HDR in this game is great.

Thank you, I will try that.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
As soon as you shoot a Mr. Racoon it's recorded in the "master" save data. You never need to finish the game or anything for it to register. Once you get the last one it'll immediately unlock the infinite knife, even mid-game.

Nov 1, 2018
Does anyone have any good tips or guides for me to S+ the hardcore difficulty runs? I have the infinite knife already and I've attempted hardcore running Claire B. I usually get to G-Birkin stage 1 and die (I don't bother saving it there either as I want to use my 3 saves later on if I can help it).

Should I instead attempt the A scenarios? How much healing should I keep on me? Which rooms should I kill the zombies & which should I not bother with? What weapons should I be holding onto in my inventory? If I counter-stab G-Birkin with the infinite knife do I lose it for good for that playthrough? Should I flash and knife the bosses?

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Does anyone have any good tips or guides for me to S+ the hardcore difficulty runs? I have the infinite knife already and I've attempted hardcore running Claire B. I usually get to G-Birkin stage 1 and die (I don't bother saving it there either as I want to use my 3 saves later on if I can help it).

Should I instead attempt the A scenarios? How much healing should I keep on me? Which rooms should I kill the zombies & which should I not bother with? What weapons should I be holding onto in my inventory? If I counter-stab G-Birkin with the infinite knife do I lose it for good for that playthrough? Should I flash and knife the bosses?
Only starting to attempt B scenario HC S+ runs but as for scenario A: I'd recommend clearing the library, west office and corridor to dark room. If you counter stab G1 with the infinite knife first it will be on the ground after the fight. Knifing the bosses is very good on PC 60-120 fps and OK on consoles, flamethrower does way more damage with Leon.

Different parts of the run require different guns and strategies but my recommendation is to plan ahead depending on which items you'll be picking up and assessing the threats, sometimes I go without any guns or with just 1 gun for long periods, you should be avoiding most things if you're attempting S+ on HC.

Lastly, watching some runs by Carcinogen really helped me with understanding all these concepts.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished through claire b. Such a good ass game. The secret ending is cute. I'll wait awhile to go through claire a/leon b hardcore.

Oct 25, 2017

I posted my Leon A HC S+ route in this thread a while back. I generally picked up every healing item I can as long as there's enough room for the key items needed in between item boxes. The A scenario is generally easier to do the S+ because you have an extra half an hour to work with. Good luck.

Son of Sparda Here you go. The first bullet point starts outside the weapons locker because the first couple of steps are pretty quick (go to east hallway, grab some items, escape from zombies (no need to kill them), watch Marvin cutscene, then go to west hallway).

Leon A Scenario
  • Kill zombies outside weapons locker (licker will take over later so it's better if the hallway is clear).
  • Grab hip pouch from West Office safe (9-15-7). Grab handgun upgrade (NED and MRG).
  • If needed, grab handgun ammo from weapons locker.
  • Stop by dark room to drop stuff off. Board up window by staircase.
  • Go up to third floor to pick up spade key. Unlock locker on the way (DCM) and pick up magnum rounds.
  • Pick up boards in C4 room (to board up window in west hallway in front of club door of records room).
  • Start setting up library stacks. Kill zombies if you'd like. Pick up art book.
  • Grab lion medallion (lion-leaf-bird).
  • Insert lion medallion into goddess after cutscene. Drop off mag rounds and extra health items in item box. Keep art book and boards.
  • Board up window in front of record room.
  • Unlock west office door with spade key.
  • Go to east waiting room. Unlock safe for handgun upgrade (6-2-11). Use spade key and discard to get to art room.
  • Go to art room for locker key card. Place art book in hand and place hand on statue to get red ruby.
  • Grab bolt cutters after cutscene.
  • Go to east office. Grab electronic plug and valve. Grab other items (flashbang, gunpowder for shotgun shells) if there's room in inventory. Watch out for zombies coming in through double doors.
  • Use electronic plug on shutters. Drop off any extra items in item box.
  • Go through west hallway to get to operations room. Use bolt cutters then discard. Grab C4 detonator.
  • Go to weapons locker, use keycard, then grab shotgun and shells.
  • Go to second floor. Use valve. Open locked locker (CAP).
  • Go to STARS room (licker in hallway). Pick up battery to combine with detonator and any other items. Grab flashbang for licker in hallway.
  • Go back to hallway (watch out for licker again, may need to throw flashbang). Grab unicorn medallion (fish-scorpion-jug) in room next to library.
  • Go to second floor library to blow up C4. Grab maiden medallion (maiden-bow-snail). Watch out for licker on way out (use flashbang and shotgun) to library.
  • Use maiden and unicorn medallions.
  • Drop off items and prep for G1 battle. First save?
  • Go to jail and pick up crank.
  • Go through kennel. Shoot dogs in cages or use a grenade (may not be necessary).
  • Go to morgue to pick up flashbang and red herb. Don't pick up diamond key.
  • Go to generator room to pick up electronic part. Solve puzzle (3-4) and avoid dogs. Get back 1F RPD.
  • Go to save room to pick up electronic plug. Grab boards from item box and board up windows in hallway.
  • Go through hallway and board up windows. Go up outdoor staircase and pick up boards. Go up to east storage room for gear. Grab any items if there's space.
  • Fall from balcony. Switch hose from R to L. Kill zombies and go to save room for club key.
  • Avoid Mr.X and go to interrogation room. Board up window along the way. Pick up ammo and jewel box.
  • Go to main hall (Mr. X may bust through press room which will give you a shortcut, but if not, go through waiting room). Grab red ruby and gear from item box. Combine ruby with jewel box.
  • Go to west records room (walk to avoid licker), unlock with club key and discard. Grab jack and grenade if there's space. Jiggle heart door to despawn licker in hallway.
  • Go to library. Use jack to free up inventory space, but don't go to clock tower yet.
  • Go to STARS room to pick up magnum. Watch out for licker in that hallway. Mr. X may follow you to this hallway, but he won't enter STARS room. You can wait him out so that you can go back to library without him bothering you.
  • Get to clock tower to get electronic part.
  • Go to east storage room (avoid zombies). Go to outdoor staircase. Get other electronic part from item box. Store magnum. Grab flashbang from item box.
  • Go to jail (avoid dogs). Pick up key card. Avoid Mr. X (there's enough room for you to bait his punch, and run around him) and throw flashbang on zombies.
  • Go to Kendo's shop, pick up shotgun stock and other items.
  • Get through alligator section and do Ada section.
  • Make way to save room. Grab magnum rounds in locked locker (S-Z-F).
  • Get T-bar near cable car. Grab shotgun stock from safe (2-12-8). Don't pick up blue herb (will wake up zombie). Make sure there are at least 5 spaces in inventory.
  • Go to queen/king puzzle room. Avoid G-adults. Grab queen and king pieces and flame thrower.
  • Head towards where rook piece is. Grab rook piece.
  • Set up puzzle and 2nd save before G2.
  • Head towards nap room. Bring only handgun and flamethrower. Pick up any items and keycard upgrade. Combine flamethrower upgrade with flamethrower.
  • Drop off items in item box and head to east area.
  • Go to puzzle room, and unlock both doors (3123 & 2067). Grab dispersal cartridge.
  • Go to drug testing lab and synthesize herbicide (R-G-B-R-G-B-R-G). Grab hand grenade in that room.
  • Go down shaft and into lounge. Kill zombies on ground with grenade. Head towards signal modulator (avoid lickers).
  • Go up staircase and grab signal modulator. Go back downstairs to lounge.
  • Avoid lickers and activate lights.
  • Go to freezer room, and finish herbicide synthesis.
  • Go back to dispersal room through lounge.
  • Drop off items in server room item box. Go through shaft (avoid lickers and ivies).
  • Disperse herbicide, pick up flashbang, and grab keycard upgrade.
  • Avoid ivies and Mr. X. Go back to nap room for hip pouch if good on time.
  • Head to west area and last save before G3 and Super Tyrant.

Oh and another big tip that I feel like isn't well known is that when you pick up items that can be combined with other items, you can combine them right away without needing to free up inventory space. I.e. If I pick up a red herb and there's a green herb already in my inventory, I can just combine the two right away without having to put the red herb in a different space.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Questions for a Claire B run

1) When Leon needs a zombie to be confirmed dead he has the shotgun, but Claire doesn't get the shotgun, does the grenade launcher do the same thing?
2) Is it true the Tyrant is triggered by watching the computer monitor?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Questions for a Claire B run

1) When Leon needs a zombie to be confirmed dead he has the shotgun, but Claire doesn't get the shotgun, does the grenade launcher do the same thing?
2) Is it true the Tyrant is triggered by watching the computer monitor?

1. Fire rounds from the grenade launcher can one shot zombies. Acid can melt their legs. But really, you get enough ammo for the handgun to use that to take out most zombies in that game, just aim for the head and let the reticle focus before shooting whenever possible to get about a 50% boost in damage per bullet. She also has the machine gun and the Spark. Her arsenal is much better than Leon's overall.

2. He is triggered by picking up the battery from the STARS office iirc. So leave that (and blowing up the C4) until the very end when you are done with the area and picked up everything you want.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
1. Fire rounds from the grenade launcher can one shot zombies. Acid can melt their legs. But really, you get enough ammo for the handgun to use that to take out most zombies in that game, just aim for the head and let the reticle focus before shooting whenever possible to get about a 50% boost in damage per bullet. She also has the machine gun and the Spark. Her arsenal is much better than Leon's overall.

2. He is triggered by picking up the battery from the STARS office iirc. So leave that (and blowing up the C4) until the very end when you are done with the area and picked up everything you want.

It's not so much about taking out zombies as it is about the confirm kill. Like with Leon I'm willing to use 1 shotgun ammo vs a potential 3-9 handgun bullets since the former gets me a confirm kill.

That said I don't know if fire ammo is significantly more scarce than shotgun ammo.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much about taking out zombies as it is about the confirm kill. Like with Leon I'm willing to use 1 shotgun ammo vs a potential 3-9 handgun bullets since the former gets me a confirm kill.

That said I don't know if fire ammo is significantly more scarce than shotgun ammo.

Fire rounds are more scarce since you can't craft them (you can only craft acid rounds) but you still find quite a few of them.

Even on hardcore I had more than I needed by the end. There are just a few enemies that I save some specifically for just in case (it can one shot lickers most of the time, or bring them very close to death) and the big meat things in the sewers (one flame round stuns them long enough for you to run by).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Claire's SLS 60 handgun gets a power upgrade that lets her fire powered bullets (akin to a Magnum). It too one shots zombies if you shoot them in the head.

So between the flame rounds and the powered bullets (and the Spark gun) she can one shot zombies quite a but if she needs to.