• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Finally got my very first hard S+ rank tonight after 2nd playthrough and many rage quits and loading saves.

Fuck the sewer. Fuck it very much.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
^^ Haha, I wish I had the patience to aim for an S-anything rank. I got an A on Standard and was pretty proud ;) Good job!

I love this game, but there is one short sequence that is just plain awful to me. The Sherry segment :( makes me want to quit the game every time lol

I look forward to going back for a Hardcore Leon 2nd run later on. Hardcore with Claire was a lot of fun. :)

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poor sod forgot his name tag and had to borrow Marvin's -

883710_20190505210257afjaq.png

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Finally platinumed the game this past weekend after taking a couple weeks break. Just ran through Hardcore Leon A with the Auto-Rifle with unlimited bullets. Felt good. I finished in less than 3 hours and only saved 3 times, in an attempt to get used to that limitation in case I ever feel like playing Leon Hardcore in the future to get that S rank.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So my girlfriend and I have been going through this and its kind of the perfect game for us. She loves the puzzles and I'm too scared to play these types of games myself. We're trying to look for similar types of games. What should we be looking for that might scratch the horror/puzzle itch?

The first REmake? Dead Space?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So my girlfriend and I have been going through this and its kind of the perfect game for us. She loves the puzzles and I'm too scared to play these types of games myself. We're trying to look for similar types of games. What should we be looking for that might scratch the horror/puzzle itch?

The first REmake? Dead Space?
Absolutely play the first REmake, it's on PS4 and the same type of game, just with different camera angles and controls (but you can change the controls to a more modern configuration). Hell of a game.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I was really enjoying this game until...

Tyrant started stalking me.

This went from a 9/10 to a 5/10 instantly. I like to move slowly in these games and explore everything. This is ruining that. Will this be an ongoing thing for the rest of the game?

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying this game until...

Tyrant started stalking me.

This went from a 9/10 to a 5/10 instantly. I like to move slowly in these games and explore everything. This is ruining that. Will this be an ongoing thing for the rest of the game?

No. It's just for that portion until you complete the task at hand. It is not there for the rest of the game at all times.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it will. He is a major focus of the game.
No. It's just for that portion until you complete the task at hand. It is not there for the rest of the game at all times.

I made it past that part, then...

I became Ada. Now he's following me again and I just don't get how people like this part of the game. He smashes me and I get trapped in corners where I get smashed 3 times before I can get away. What is fun about this? If I hate this part this much, is it worth finishing the game? Does anyone else love the game, but hate Tyrant?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Nov 18, 2017
I really wish the Tyrant was contained within Scenario B, and the game was more like the original with two distinct, interweaving stories.

The game is both awesome and my GOTY so far, and also a frustrating disappointment.

Oct 27, 2017
I've just seen this is for sale for £25 with Smyths in the UK. Been meaning to pick it up and have a little bit of spare cash so I'm going to buy it tomorrow I think.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I made it past that part, then...

I became Ada. Now he's following me again and I just don't get how people like this part of the game. He smashes me and I get trapped in corners where I get smashed 3 times before I can get away. What is fun about this? If I hate this part this much, is it worth finishing the game? Does anyone else love the game, but hate Tyrant?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Yeah ur almost done with him

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 3-4 hours into this (Claire playthrough on normal) and encountered Mr X for the first time last night. The sound design is fantastic and the way he stomps around is really intimidating. I take it fighting him is mostly pointless and I should just run? I've got about 5 acid rounds with my grenade launcher, but no fire rounds left (used them all on Birkin). I think I need to move past him to progress so I'll have to make a run for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this
Orphanage section with Sherry
is baaad. I've 'died' way more in this short section than the rest of the game overall.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the sewers and it looks like the next stage is to get the cable car in order to head down to the Umbrella lab. Do I go back to the police station? I really like how it was designed and it's easily my favourite area of the game so far. I hope I get the chance to go back as there's definitely a few items I didn't collect.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the sewers and it looks like the next stage is to get the cable car in order to head down to the Umbrella lab. Do I go back to the police station? I really like how it was designed and it's easily my favourite area of the game so far. I hope I get the chance to go back as there's definitely a few items I didn't collect.

Yes you do.

Though remember that once you enter the lab via cable car there's no going back.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow man, fuck thd sewers. I burnt through all my ammo against those bastard G offspring things. I was only left with the electric tazer gun thing and that seems kinda useless against zombies. I'm going to reload an older save and try to get past the enemies without wasting so much much ammo.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Oh wow man, fuck thd sewers. I burnt through all my ammo against those bastard G offspring things. I was only left with the electric tazer gun thing and that seems kinda useless against zombies. I'm going to reload an older save and try to get past the enemies without wasting so much much ammo.
Yeah, give it another go and just skip the G mutants in that one part leading to the king/queen pieces. My advice: take defensive weapons with you (knives/grenades) and just try to juke them. If they grab you then burn a defensive weapon and keep moving forward. Then when you get to the room with the king/queen pieces, use the weapon you get there (Sparkshot if Claire, Flamethrower if Leon) for your trip back. On your way back, stick to the left-most path and still try to juke them (because the RNG might work in your favor and the enemies might be out of your path), but if any get in your way either burn or shock them. I found little other use for those weapons the rest of the game (less so for Leaon because of a certain enemy in the lab, but you'll get more flamethrower fuel for them) so it's great to use them there.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, give it another go and just skip the G mutants in that one part leading to the king/queen pieces. My advice: take defensive weapons with you (knives/grenades) and just try to juke them. If they grab you then burn a defensive weapon and keep moving forward. Then when you get to the room with the king/queen pieces, use the weapon you get there (Sparkshot if Claire, Flamethrower if Leon) for your trip back. On your way back, stick to the left-most path and still try to juke them (because the RNG might work in your favor and the enemies might be out of your path), but if any get in your way either burn or shock them. I found little other use for those weapons the rest of the game (less so for Leaon because of a certain enemy in the lab, but you'll get more flamethrower fuel for them) so it's great to use them there.

Yeah, thanks - that's almost entirely what I did after I reloaded an earlier save. Just ran past the bastards, chucked a grenade in their mouth or stabbed them in the head if they managed to grab me. I've now got literally about 200 more bullets than I had before!

Just got to the lab. Will play more tonight after my kids are in bed.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
that tazer gun is the weapon to use against those g creatures. you have to hold the fire button down to zap em dead

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing Claire, all you need are flame grenade rounds for the G mutants. Fire one round and then run. If they grab you they will almost always let you go due to the damage over time inflicted by flame rounds. Generally speaking, though, avoid them like the plague, do not fight them.

Oct 27, 2017
that tazer gun is the weapon to use against those g creatures. you have to hold the fire button down to zap em dead

I figured this was the case but I got the tazer gun after getting past the first 3 of them, by which point I'd already gone through tons of pistol, uzi and grenade launcher ammo killing those three. In the end I just managed to skip past them and not fight wherever possible.

If you're playing Claire, all you need are flame grenade rounds for the G mutants. Fire one round and then run. If they grab you they will almost always let you go due to the damage over time inflicted by flame rounds. Generally speaking, though, avoid them like the plague, do not fight them.

Yeah, I used up all of my fire grenades earlier. Just have about 6 acid ones left now but they don't seem anywhere near as effective.

Oct 27, 2017
I completed this a couple of days ago, but forgot to post about it. I really liked it but I think the first half of the game is a lot stronger than the second half -- that being said the NEST lab in this is a big improvement on the original. I really loved the tone and atmosphere and I think these are easily some of the best zombies I've ever seen in any fiction. Honestly, the scream sound effect the female zombies make is really unsettling and when they're stumbling towards you surprisingly fast and you're missing loads of headshots it's really tense. I found Mr X a little bit overbearing and he made me start to rush in everything I was doing, but he's only in it for maybe an hour in Claire's first runthrough so it's not too bad. However, the boss battles are pretty bad - all 4 of them, but especially the one with the big container on the end of the crane. They really needed to have a health bar for the bosses IMO so that you can strategise your ammo a bit better and know that you're hurting the damn thing, because they feel like crazy bullet sponges at the moment. The visuals, music and sound effects were all crazy good and it has some of the most insanely good character models I've ever seen. It took me just a hair over 8 hours but a lot of that was dallying around, so I reckon I could easily get it down to about 5 on another playthrough. I'm not sure I'll go straight into Leon's mode yet because it was all a bit intense and I feel like a need a break first. I'm playing Watch Dogs 2 now and that's a nice lighthearted antidote to the tone and gore of Resi 2, but I feel like I at least need to finish one playthrough for both characters. Some of the trophies seem pretty crazy though so no way will I be trying to go for the Platinum (like use no healing items - WTF?!!).

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I completed this a couple of days ago, but forgot to post about it. I really liked it but I think the first half of the game is a lot stronger than the second half -- that being said the NEST lab in this is a big improvement on the original. I really loved the tone and atmosphere and I think these are easily some of the best zombies I've ever seen in any fiction. Honestly, the scream sound effect the female zombies make is really unsettling and when they're stumbling towards you surprisingly fast and you're missing loads of headshots it's really tense. I found Mr X a little bit overbearing and he made me start to rush in everything I was doing, but he's only in it for maybe an hour in Claire's first runthrough so it's not too bad. However, the boss battles are pretty bad - all 4 of them, but especially the one with the big container on the end of the crane. They really needed to have a health bar for the bosses IMO so that you can strategise your ammo a bit better and know that you're hurting the damn thing, because they feel like crazy bullet sponges at the moment. The visuals, music and sound effects were all crazy good and it has some of the most insanely good character models I've ever seen. It took me just a hair over 8 hours but a lot of that was dallying around, so I reckon I could easily get it down to about 5 on another playthrough. I'm not sure I'll go straight into Leon's mode yet because it was all a bit intense and I feel like a need a break first. I'm playing Watch Dogs 2 now and that's a nice lighthearted antidote to the tone and gore of Resi 2, but I feel like I at least need to finish one playthrough for both characters. Some of the trophies seem pretty crazy though so no way will I be trying to go for the Platinum (like use no healing items - WTF?!!).

I'm glad you ended up enjoying it in the end even with the problems you had with it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In terms of the bosses for Claire:

The first one gets owned by knifing.

The second one goes down after being hit with the container twice (on normal difficulty iirc). You don't really need to use ammo on him, though stun grenades do help keep him in place for the container.

The third one needs ammo but again the knife helps a lot and does big damage when he is stunned.

The final time you encounter the boss, he gets owned by normal grenades really fast.

Oct 27, 2017
(you can do a no healing run on assisted for the trophy)

or you could be that guy that does no item box, no healing

Ah yeah, I forgot it had a really easy mode. Even so, that probably means you can't take more than about 5-6 hits in the whole game.

I'm glad you ended up enjoying it in the end even with the problems you had with it.

My problems were pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. I thought it was excellent overall and definitely vying for my favourite Resi game, but I will need a bit more time to ruminate on that first. My opinion on it might improve with successive playthroughs.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying the game on hardcore just for fun with the unlimited guns and holy fucking shit is Ada's part absolute unfiltered garbage. I'm so fucking close to punching a hole in my screen. Completely ruins the flow of the game.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying the game on hardcore just for fun with the unlimited guns and holy fucking shit is Ada's part absolute unfiltered garbage. I'm so fucking close to punching a hole in my screen. Completely ruins the flow of the game.

Yeah, it's my least favorite portion of the game by far. Sherry's is almost as bad, but it helps that it becomes really easy after playing through it once.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017

Both sections are really good but if you are in the select group of people that have played it over and over again like us in this thread then it's not very good.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For speedrunning I feel like Sherry's section, in spite of being mostly on-rails, is easily preferred from the player's perspective. It's basically a free break from difficult enemies/execution.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Decided to get back into the game over the summer.

Been watching Bawkbasoup do daily runs to practice for SGDQ, going to try and get some sub 2:00:00 runs on hardcore.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After a ton of restarts on RPD to get to the sewers cleanly and a shit load of resets on G3/Mr.X, finally got S+ Leon Hardcore

jWhfPxa.jpg

Progression of play throughs

Leon A: Standard
Claire B: Hardcore
Claire A: Hardcore
Leon A: Hardcore