• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 6 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes, 54 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Resident Evil 2 |OT| 1998... I'll never forget it

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed last night. Beat both Leon and Claire’s campaign on Hardcore in one setting. Getting through some of Leon’s run was a nightmare.
You did it! That's what matters.

What are your times? Here are mine:

You better fucking believe that my first two runs that each clocked over 1:59:59 are super bothering me. I wish I had gone back to redo them after I did all the others.

Jombie

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
You did it! That's what matters.

What are your times? Here are mine:

You better fucking believe that my first two runs that each clocked over 1:59:59 are super bothering me. I wish I had gone back to redo them after I did all the others.
I only have S rank on their first runs, and I’m not a very good speed runner. I’m pretty bad, and glad just to have gotten through it.

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only have S rank on their first runs, and I’m not a very good speed runner. I’m pretty bad, and glad just to have gotten through it.
The Resident Evil games (the classic ones) are the only games that I like to try to get the best grades, which involves somewhat of a speedrun. In the case of RE2R, it's not as hard as it looks. I recommend you check this video from Carcinogen. Even if you aren't interested in trying to get S+, the video will surely teach you some stuff that might make you want to keep playing the game. It's also just entertaining to watch.

Jombie

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
The Resident Evil games (the classic ones) are the only games that I like to try to get the best grades, which involves somewhat of a speedrun. In the case of RE2R, it's not as hard as it looks. I recommend you check this video from Carcinogen. Even if you aren't interested in trying to get S+, the video will surely teach you some stuff that might make you want to keep playing the game. It's also just entertaining to watch.

I’ll check it out. There have been times where I’ve struggled and looked at a guide and just face palmed because it’s so obvious.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I finished my first run through the game with Leon, gonna start the Claire run this evening. I didn't know anything about this remake going in and I was definitely surprised by how challenging I found it even on standard. The last part of the station, where Mr. X is a constant threat, was pretty stressful. They made zombies such bullet sponges that running past is sometimes the only option. I know that's how you should play by default, but in the police station it's reassuring to clear rooms you have to pass multiple times, especially if you're still learning the layout. Also this is the first RE game I remember where the zombies can take this much heat before going down, at least with the handgun. The chance for a crit on headshot was also pretty low, only with the shotty I got a good chance of taking one out immediately.

I see you get an unbreakable knife if you find all the raccoons and that would make it more tempting to try speeding through the game. I'll finish the Claire run and then see if I want to spend more time with it. This seems like a very satisfying plat to get, but it's also pretty time-consuming.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I see you get an unbreakable knife if you find all the raccoons and that would make it more tempting to try speeding through the game. I'll finish the Claire run and then see if I want to spend more time with it. This seems like a very satisfying plat to get, but it's also pretty time-consuming.
Yeah the infinite knife is a great tool to have while hunting down the platinum. It doesn't block you from receiving the S+ rankings that you will need, whereas the infinite guns will. The platinum actually isn't that bad if you don't mind following videos. The one by Carcinogen posted above is good, and Darkness has "Everyman's Guides" to Hardcore S+ runs. They worked perfectly for me, and took less than 5 hours to get both Hardcore/S+ playthoughs done, including a re-load because some crafty zombies were hiding behind a door and double bit me to death.

You can pound out Frugalist, Minimalist, and Small Carbon Footprint in one quick run using this guide. You can do it on Assisted, which helps with not using healing items.

Violet

Feb 7, 2019
dc
Goddamn the police station on the B story is insanely difficult if you trigger Mr X too early. Most annoyingly, trying to get hip pouches to actually carry anything around with him on your tail. The second stretch run when you can use the secret passage as a safe room is atleast easier then having to sprint to the ends of the earth just to hide from him.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Mainline the medallions on the B run. Once you descend into the safe room and go near the elevator below the goddess statue, Mr. X despawns from the police station, so you can just go back in and gather everything else at that point.

Brandwin

Jan 1, 2018
Going to grab this while it’s on sale. Should I get the version that’s $5 more with the DLC. Total is $23.

any beginner tips?

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to grab this while it’s on sale. Should I get the version that’s $5 more with the DLC. Total is $23.

any beginner tips?
Yeah get the DLC.

Tips:
-zombies take the same amount of damage regardless of where you shoot them.
-the focus shot (when you stand still and your aiming reticule shrinks and a dot appears in it) deals slightly more damage and has slightly more chance of a critical hit (which destroys the limb or head of the zombie)
-the most efficient way to dispatch zombies is to shoot them in the knees until the leg detaches, then knifing them to death.
-Mr. X will hear your gun shots from wherever you are, and will go straight for you when you shoot. He will only hear you running if you are very close to him (in the same room, close to him), so you can safely run most of the time.

Enjoy what is possibly my favorite of the generation!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Okay then, S rank with Leon down now, my first run with him only going as well as it did because of already playing through the game once before with Claire and making use of Carcinogen's walkthroughs. It was only thanks to the latter that I was able to get the Frugalist trophy in the process, and while I have no idea what possessed me to even bother try getting it with Leon, it's done and now I never need to do that ever again.

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
Trying REAL hard to play Hardcore and this shit drains me lol!

I'm trying a 3 save run and I usually do my first one AFTER the first Birkin fight, reached him yesterday and he bodied me hard. D:

Might save before...

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'll do from now on.

I took Birkin 1 for granted as I always breezed through him in Normal...but now it's another story.
The stretch between birkin 1 and 2 will be the longest, but it's manageable. Just remember that you can easily pass the g-types in the sewers. When they are submerged and waiting, shoot them to make them come up, and run past them during their coming out animation. Still in the sewers, the second g-unit you encounter in that long room that leads to the room that has the two keys: you can stagger him with one hand grenade. If you play with Leon, that should be the only hand grenade you use outside of the last boss with Mr. X, as that one requires all the grenades in the game in order for you to handle him well.

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
The stretch between birkin 1 and 2 will be the longest, but it's manageable. Just remember that you can easily pass the g-types in the sewers. When they are submerged and waiting, shoot them to make them come up, and run past them during their coming out animation. Still in the sewers, the second g-unit you encounter in that long room that leads to the room that has the two keys: you can stagger him with one hand grenade. If you play with Leon, that should be the only hand grenade you use outside of the last boss with Mr. X, as that one requires all the grenades in the game in order for you to handle him well.
Thanks, yeah I'm used to that trick with the G-Types, watching some speedruns after finishing the game last year proved to be really useful!

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So RE2 ended up being my most played game of 2019, with 79 hours out of a total of 278 hours for the year.

I’m expecting more of the same with RE3. Might even have more playing time since it’s my fav in the series. 🥰