• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So I had 2 runs until now: Leon A and Claire B. Should I start Leon B? Is it very different from the runs I already had? You can use spoiler tag if you want. Thanks.
Apparently, it's the same save the beginning (you arrive last into the station) and the very end.

The game truly only has one main plotline in which the character you play as does the puzzles and fights the bosses while the other one goes through other unknown and unspecified route we'll never know about. The stories are alternate, not parallel, only converging when they meet so they're the same in all runs.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be hard for me to cut this down further.

Wow you're good.

I'm at 3 Savegames and around 2 hours on harcore. But G3 simply won't let me pass. I can get him to his last phase without problems but in the end i fumble and he gets me.

My savegame is direct before this fight so i'm not that mad but after dozens of tries i want him to die already.

They can also add multiple Mr Xs as a permanent feature, and have them fatally explode if they get too close to the player. Maybe they can also be invisible?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow you're good.

I'm at 3 Savegames and around 2 hours on harcore. But G3 simply won't let me pass. I can get him to his last phase without problems but in the end i fumble and he gets me.

My savegame is direct before this fight so i'm not that mad but after dozens of tries i want him to die already.
Which character? If you're Claire then you can stun lock him to death with acid rounds from that point..

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So any good Leon A hardcore S+ rank walkthroughs/guides out there?

I'm on PS4 Pro so I can't do the knife trick that I see in a lot of the speed run videos.

Oct 25, 2017
So any good Leon A hardcore S+ rank walkthroughs/guides out there?

I'm on PS4 Pro so I can't do the knife trick that I see in a lot of the speed run videos.

The knife thing is only really relevant in bosses. For the most part, you can follow what the speedrunner is doing in between bosses, but just be sure to have room in your inventory to pick up additional ammo/health items.

I also put together a Word document with all of the relevant routes/key items for Leon A and Claire B when I was practicing my S+ runs. I can share that here. I'm also working on doing the same for Claire A and Leon B, but I expect those to be very similar.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the game with Leon and the battle with tyrant was like

giphy.gif

My first (meh) result of Leon's route.

DzGEu9xX4AEIVKA.jpg:large

Yup, completed Leon first time last night and got about the same result, except I was in the 9 hour range. Tougher than I expected. There was a few times there I thought of quitting and starting over with Claire but I soldiered on with no ammo and red-level health several times. Haven't felt that sense of desperate survival in a RE game in along time. Just fantastic! Now onto Claire.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Leon B on hardcore.

In the end I loved the game, but I wish they had not removed the Claire and Leon meetup scene in the STARS office. I know they moved it to outside but that scene through the fence felt a little strange with the romantic tension and not as moving.
Also the new soundtrack minus Leon's final battle and 4th Survivor is pretty terrible. This ain't minimalist stuff like BOTW, none of it actually resonates and feels scary. Once I turned on the classic OST then the fear kicked in (especially in the hallway next to Reception). Glad I had the option but really wish Capcom hadn't turned up the greed to sell the option for money.
Mr. X is my new favorite RE villain. Power struts all day. Even though I saw that he had a little neck snap animation and his classic 2-handed overhead slam in the Model Viewer, I never saw him actually use either in-game. People may complain about him, but for this type of enemy if at least a few people don't complain then you probably didn't design him correctly.
Leon's route is way easier than Claire's, his weapons are better and more suited to the task at hand. Also he deals with fewer Lickers, which are more dangerous than Mr. X is. That being said managing Claire's inventory is much easier than managing Leon's.
Claire's story is more interesting than Leon's because of Sherry, the stakes feel higher and the overall scenario involving her and Irons is fantastic.
Strangely enough Ada in Japanese sounds much more like classic Ada from the original (calm and methodical when speaking), whereas English Ada sounds way more like an asshole. Different direction in voicing from the director I suppose.

Going to take a break from the game and then try to complete Tofu Survivor. Delicious, shiny, jiggly tofu...

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
Finished Leon A on Saturday and loved it. How different is the Claire B run? I don't really care for playing another 6 hours solving the same puzzles with only 30 minutes of new content.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe the Ghost stuff is going to be for this weekend and I still have to finish my second run lol I hope finish it by then.

God I love this game.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Great challenges this week. The story one really restricts you this time by stripping away the subweapons and the grenade launcher. 2 pistols, SMG and the Shock Gun was what I had to play with as Claire. I made sure to grab every gunpowder since I needed the ammo handgun ammo.

CPxHzr0.jpg

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. TBH only Tofu is actually hard. Once you beat that the other 4 are pretty simple.

Personally found Tofu easy, did it first time after doing Hunk (which took a good few tries). Just used the same tactics and scrubbed the grab knifing in the areas needed. The grenade Tofu again was basically the same tactic, the rest needed some new tactics to get around things.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Leon A on Saturday and loved it. How different is the Claire B run? I don't really care for playing another 6 hours solving the same puzzles with only 30 minutes of new content.
The RPD is actually quite different. Same building of course, but you enter through a different entrance, some of the save rooms are different, Mr. X is different, key items are in different locations, etc. I don't think there's a big difference in the sewers or lab though, at least nothing that really stood out to me.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The knife thing is only really relevant in bosses. For the most part, you can follow what the speedrunner is doing in between bosses, but just be sure to have room in your inventory to pick up additional ammo/health items.

I also put together a Word document with all of the relevant routes/key items for Leon A and Claire B when I was practicing my S+ runs. I can share that here. I'm also working on doing the same for Claire A and Leon B, but I expect those to be very similar.
Yeah but those videos usually take the knife thing into consideration and go into the boss battles unprepared (other than knife ofc) and ignore ammo/health that you would need if you were to fight the bosses normally so it's a bit tough incorporating those into a normal hardcore S+ run.

Carcinogen's no damage S+ vids are great video guides.
You got any links for that?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but those videos usually take the knife thing into consideration and go into the boss battles unprepared (other than knife ofc) and ignore ammo/health that you would need if you were to fight the bosses normally so it's a bit tough incorporating those into a normal hardcore S+ run.

Hmm fair enough. Yeah, I'll post my run "checklist" here when I get home tonight. I highlighted all of the necessary key items as a way to account for how much inventory space is needed in between stops at item boxes. It gave me a general idea of how much extra space I had for weapons and health items. Just know that it doesn't have every single step in the run and that I don't go into detail about each enemy encounter since some of those I have memorized.

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
Oops, looks like I waqs wrong about no defense items when grabbed on hardcore mode. Wonder why the prompt never showed up.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

It's worth it. Most puzzles are remixed, there are some different locations and routes, and you have a different weapon load out, so it feels fresh. I've done both A/Bs on standard and now going through Hardcore. Games still fun.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question.
The moment with Mr. X smashing the wall is exclusive to Leon or to the second run.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Have played through with both Leon and Claire (2nd Run) and I can say that I really enjoyed this video game. Just as good as the original for its day.

First run was done with the retro OST which was great and moody. 2nd Run was done with the new OST and it is simply... not there. Is nigh the same experience as playing with soundtrack off. Even the Tyrant theme was overhyped and only kicked in if he was really really close to you.

This game is a masterpiece in terms of balancing action, tension, systematically unraveling the play area and resource management that gives a great illusion of things being scarce when it's actually quite lenient.

Looking forward to the R3make 'expansion' which should max be two years out I suspect with a lot of the assets already in place.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Leon's yesterday and absolutely loved the game. Next I should play New Game - Claire, right? I believe there's a New Game 2 or something?

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have played through with both Leon and Claire (2nd Run) and I can say that I really enjoyed this video game. Just as good as the original for its day.

First run was done with the retro OST which was great and moody. 2nd Run was done with the new OST and it is simply... not there. Is nigh the same experience as playing with soundtrack off. Even the Tyrant theme was overhyped and only kicked in if he was really really close to you.

This game is a masterpiece in terms of balancing action, tension, systematically unraveling the play area and resource management that gives a great illusion of things being scarce when it's actually quite lenient.

Looking forward to the R3make 'expansion' which should max be two years out I suspect with a lot of the assets already in place.
I really like the Tyrant music in the new OST. I think it gives you a stinger when the Tyrant spots you, which is nice. Or maybe I'm just imagining that.

Otherwise, you're right that the original OST is generally better.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm fair enough. Yeah, I'll post my run "checklist" here when I get home tonight. I highlighted all of the necessary key items as a way to account for how much inventory space is needed in between stops at item boxes. It gave me a general idea of how much extra space I had for weapons and health items. Just know that it doesn't have every single step in the run and that I don't go into detail about each enemy encounter since some of those I have memorized.
That would be really helpful, thanks.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I seriously hope they fix the knife damage glitch on PC. It's totally unfair to the console community and speedrunners will have to adapt and find different strats.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still can't seem to get a good S+ Hardcore run in. I keep dying to bosses (G1 and G2 specifically) when I try to stretch my save spacing out more.

My last run, I had almost a completely perfect run even through G1 fight and then I got killed by a Licker in the Parking Garage who didn't stay down through what I assumed was going to be a killshot (a 2nd Acid Round from Claire's grenade launcher)... Kinda just ran away without verifying the kill and it caught up to me and finished me off. :( Back to the start.

My last strategy was getting a save in before G1 and then again before G2, and then my last before G3. Last before G3 still seems sensible, but I found myself having to play pretty cautiously to avoid death from regular hazards (like Lickers) between G1 and G2 and then again between G2 and G3 so I kinda wanted to move my saves a little further out since those seemed to be more unpredictable and difficult to deal with than the bosses after I got pretty well practiced at them.

Stressful stuff, lol. I am tempted to just use one of the skip glitches I've seen to at least avoid G2.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
What are some commonly missed files? I am at 56/58 and would rather not go through all of her again.

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't seem to get a good S+ Hardcore run in. I keep dying to bosses (G1 and G2 specifically) when I try to stretch my save spacing out more.

My last run, I had almost a completely perfect run even through G1 fight and then I got killed by a Licker in the Parking Garage who didn't stay down through what I assumed was going to be a killshot (a 2nd Acid Round from Claire's grenade launcher)... Kinda just ran away without verifying the kill and it caught up to me and finished me off. :( Back to the start.

My last strategy was getting a save in before G1 and then again before G2, and then my last before G3. Last before G3 still seems sensible, but I found myself having to play pretty cautiously to avoid death from regular hazards (like Lickers) between G1 and G2 and then again between G2 and G3 so I kinda wanted to move my saves a little further out since those seemed to be more unpredictable and difficult to deal with than the bosses after I got pretty well practiced at them.

Stressful stuff, lol. I am tempted to just use one of the skip glitches I've seen to at least avoid G2.

My saves were before G1, before G2, and before G3. The stretch between G1 and G2 was the worst because I had to get through the remainder of RPD and all of the sewers. I chose to save before boss fights because I didn't want to expend too much ammo or too many health items in each of those fights. Worked out in the end for me.

Also, flame rounds are better on lickers than acid rounds. And the only lickers I killed on my Claire run are the ones in the kennel. All the other ones I just walked around and didn't get attacked.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously hope they fix the knife damage glitch on PC. It's totally unfair to the console community and speedrunners will have to adapt and find different strats.
If it gets patched people could just run the version prior to the patch as a separate category. 60fps vs 120fps is already denoted on the leaderboards. I doubt there's any uproar in the community about this, version/platform differences like this are very common. Not to mention this is a game that's already spread thin when it comes to different categories.

Console will generally be behind PC regardless; movement, aiming, and inventory management will be more precise and faster.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My saves were before G1, before G2, and before G3. The stretch between G1 and G2 was the worst because I had to get through the remainder of RPD and all of the sewers. I chose to save before boss fights because I didn't want to expend too much ammo or too many health items in each of those fights. Worked out in the end for me.

Also, flame rounds are better on lickers than acid rounds. And the only lickers I killed on my Claire run are the ones in the kennel. All the other ones I just walked around and didn't get attacked.

I may go back to G1/G2/G3 strategy myself, the G1 to G2 stretch was indeed what was giving me trouble but the skip I've seen for the sewers pretty much eliminates that issue. I can save right before the skip and keep attempting the skip instead of struggling up against all the obstacles in the sewers.

Might take my time on the first leg knowing that skip is coming up, too -- just stockpile stuff for the lab and the G3/G4 fights with the extra time afforded me.