• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I may go back to G1/G2/G3 strategy myself, the G1 to G2 stretch was indeed what was giving me trouble but the skip I've seen for the sewers pretty much eliminates that issue. I can save right before the skip and keep attempting the skip instead of struggling up against all the obstacles in the sewers.

Might take my time on the first leg knowing that skip is coming up, too -- just stockpile stuff for the lab and the G3/G4 fights with the extra time afforded me.

Are you doing A or B? I really don't think the skips are necessary as long as you're familiar with the map layout, item locations, and generally what objectives you need to do. The stretch between G1 and G2 was brutal, and I think I had to replay that three times. But then at that point I had memorized exactly what to do and how to handle specific situations. The good thing is that the only thing that changes is the adaptive difficulty. Enemy placement and item locations stay the same so I had gotten more familiar with each retry and planned out accordingly.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Just finished my first attempt at an S-rank on standard and ended up with an A because I was two minutes off the 3h30m time. :( This is what I get for the 30 or so seconds time I hung out in the safe room waiting for Mr. X to pass by lmao. Never again! I WILL get infinite ammo!

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
I just beat the game with the First person mod and wow it was amazing, very surprising they didn't include this after beating the game or something.

I only got 1 bug vs G1, when he hide to jump on you you have to disable the mod or else he can't seem to find you.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean, horror games are ONLY meant to be played with headphones and at night, if not then you're doing it wrong.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are you doing A or B? I really don't think the skips are necessary as long as you're familiar with the map layout, item locations, and generally what objectives you need to do. The stretch between G1 and G2 was brutal, and I think I had to replay that three times. But then at that point I had memorized exactly what to do and how to handle specific situations. The good thing is that the only thing that changes is the adaptive difficulty. Enemy placement and item locations stay the same so I had gotten more familiar with each retry and planned out accordingly.

A is what I'm far more comfortable with, mostly owing to that I have that run's puzzle solutions completely memorized. I still reference a guide to refresh myself on B puzzle solutions following my original guide-free playthrough, but I memorized A's.

Oct 25, 2017
A is what I'm far more comfortable with, mostly owing to that I have that run's puzzle solutions completely memorized. I still reference a guide to refresh myself on B puzzle solutions following my original guide-free playthrough, but I memorized A's.

I think what's more important is finding the most optimal path around the map. Having puzzle solutions memorized is good, but the real time/ammo/health saver is having an efficient route in between places. I'm not the best at remembering everything so I actually typed up a guide for myself (lol) after doing runs in standard difficulty. Even for my Leon A run, I would pause the game a lot just to rack my brain to figure out my next move and what items I need to bring, type it out, and then follow through. THe good thing about the A run is that it gives you 2.5 hours, which is more than enough time as long as you're not backtracking a lot or getting unnecessary items.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
What are some commonly missed files? I am at 56/58 and would rather not go through all of her again.

- S.T.A.R.S Office letter different for Claire & Leon.
- Cable car letter in the sewers same as above.
- Orphanage 3 diaries during Claire playthrough.
- The letter on the whiteboard in the lab reception at NEST (Save room)

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
e3ff1819-0b4d-4361-9e56-2b4e19086067.PNG

Finally managed to get time into the game again and finish my Hardcore S+ Claire A run, which was my third playthrough! My first two runs were slow, methodical slogs with dozens of saves but 100% of everything completed in each. I'm excited to attempt Leon B in the same difficulty next to wrap up all the campaign Records before moving onto Tofu... Ugh!

For anyone looking for an example of how to defeat the boss G3 Birkin, I was so ecstatic at my performance that I recorded a clip. It's cut off in the beginning because I was limited to 2-minutes of recording time. I'll drop the quality from 1080p to 720p in the Xbox settings so I can increase that limit to 5 minutes for future videos.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are some commonly missed files? I am at 56/58 and would rather not go through all of her again.
Have you played all four scenarios? I believe Leon B and Claire B each have exactly two unique files, so if you have one scenario still sitting out there, that's your answer.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Hardcore can be unforgiving if it's your first go-around even if you have prior RE experience. Enemies can take you to danger in one bite, and they're a lot tankier as well. You also won't have the luxury to really explore and take in the atmosphere in hardcore.

To add to this or sum it up in Marvin words for hardcore mode:

"You take it out or you run"

The Henery

Nov 3, 2017
Starting my playthrough this week and want to play on hardcore for the first go around but have my reservations based on RE7 being very reasonable and tense on the hardest setting but then the bosses being far too difficult. I remember getting to the chainsaw fight on the main guy in RE7 and giving up there as it was so hard as to feel cheap. Is that the case with this game? I don't relish scrapping through the main stuff then having to quit because a boss is artificially tanky.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Starting my playthrough this week and want to play on hardcore for the first go around but have my reservations based on RE7 being very reasonable and tense on the hardest setting but then the bosses being far too difficult. I remember getting to the chainsaw fight on the main guy in RE7 and giving up there as it was so hard as to feel cheap. Is that the case with this game? I don't relish scrapping through the main stuff then having to quit because a boss is artificially tanky.
The bosses in this game go down very quickly if you know what you're doing. If you don't then they can feel kinda spongy, but the game always gives you ammo after each one to restock your supply.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Picking this up soon, back in the day I just played Leon and then Claire, but is there a canon order of things? Claire technically should be the first to play as, right?
I like Leon B better simply because in it he finds his uniform in a locker and comments on breaking it in. In Leon A he just suddenly has it after talking to Marvin at the station.

SniperWolf1

Nov 8, 2017
There is no canon order because there are no A/B scenarios and 2nd run is basically an arranged mode, not something that ties into the story of the first playthrough.

And that order isn't consistent in many spots either, like why are the dogs gone in Claire A then if Leon is trailing her?

Fair point with the lickers, would have to be after Leon since the lickers kill the remaining dogs in the cages that Leon sees alive. It's just weird because it feels like they tried to have some continuity at certain points while flat out ignoring it in others. It's like a mishmash of RE1 and RE2's storytelling which just doesn't work for me. Arrange mode is definately a good way of looking at second run. I'm just gonna have to accept the story is not interwoven like the original, which bums me out cause that was my favorite part about it. Oh well, hell of game otherwise though.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doing Leon Side B right now and just made it to the sewers with 1:31:00 on the clock. Not sure if I can do this in under 3 hours, but I'm definitely getting closer. You all were right that Leon's weapons are weaker.

Managed to get here with just 1 save, but I did die a bunch trying to get that last electronic piece in the clocktower. That run through the hall with the Lickers is just brutal. Would definitely need to save before that if I were playing Hardcore.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Leon B's Hardcore finale is flat out rocking me. I only have two healing items going into it and I keep getting roflstomped and impaled, urgh.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yeah but those videos usually take the knife thing into consideration and go into the boss battles unprepared (other than knife ofc) and ignore ammo/health that you would need if you were to fight the bosses normally so it's a bit tough incorporating those into a normal hardcore S+ run.

I did a stream for S+ for leon on hardcore and it was on PS4 if you need to watch for tips.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Every Leon hardcore run for me so far has been one disaster after another, but for some reason I keep saving and just keep going to see if I can still make it. I'm not even going for S, I'm just seeing how I do for my first Leon A hardcore run right now.

For starters, I can't even get through that first hallway section on hardcore A scenario without getting bitten at least once or twice. I finally did by skipping that room with the wooden board, but that meant I wouldn't be able to board up the west hallway when going through it the first time. In Claire A I actually had to immediately use both first aid sprays in that first east hallway encounter.

Then, recently I used up ALL my supplies on the G1 fight, including the ones they give you. My shit was all gone and I was on danger. Did people figure out what the best weapons for the G boos fights are (outside of the grenade launcher)? I decided to just save and keep going, only later remembering I'd just saved right before that fight and probably should have just tried it again.

The other problem is I've still never been able to do RPD part 2 without Mr. X chasing me through the west hallway where the lickers and all those zombies are. I can get him to lose me for a little bit, but it's never long enough to make it to the jack. Even stunning Mr. X on the other side of the RPD doesn't give me enough time.

Anyway, as of now I'm saved in the sewers, having limped around on danger for like the fourth time.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Fair point with the lickers, would have to be after Leon since the lickers kill the remaining dogs in the cages that Leon sees alive. It's just weird because it feels like they tried to have some continuity at certain points while flat out ignoring it in others. It's like a mishmash of RE1 and RE2's storytelling which just doesn't work for me. Arrange mode is definately a good way of looking at second run. I'm just gonna have to accept the story is not interwoven like the original, which bums me out cause that was my favorite part about it. Oh well, hell of game otherwise though.
A and B definitely feel like different universes.

Changes that don't make sense:

Mr. X's continued presence in the lab section of B (or Leon B, anyway) when he clearly dies before that in Claire A
The Birkin fights
Annette and which of the two protags she interacts with

Other than that, though, the stories do fit neatly with each other, with Leon and Claire even having different final bosses. I think B scenario is the "canon" one with whoever you chose being the one who ends up dealing with
Birkin and Mr. X.

There's some continuity, but some irreconcilable differences as well... it's like halfway between RE1 and the OG RE2 in that regard.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For starters, I can't even get through that first hallway section on hardcore A scenario without getting bitten at least once or twice. I finally did by skipping that room with the wooden board, but that meant I wouldn't be able to board up the west hallway when going through it the first time. In Claire A I actually had to immediately use both first aid sprays in that first east hallway encounter.
TBH I find that section to be one of the hardest to get through on hardcore without taking damage. The path to squeeze past the two zombies at the end is quite specific so I always make sure to take a detour and grab the first aid in the bathroom to be on the safe side.

As for the board, I just skip it. It's not hard to get past the zombies in the west hallway with a few well placed leg stuns and you can despawn the licker later on by just quickly running out of the hallway and back into the main hall when it first spawns.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to use gunpowder in Clare B? Given how limited ammo is, I've kind of been hoarding it. Should I make handgun ammo, acid rounds, or SMG bullets?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So I asked this a couple nights ago but didn't get a clean answer, but based on the way the game models damage, should I put lots of my ammo in my box or does it still consider that "on my person" to class zombies? Like I just came out of the first boss fight with 40-odd 9mm rounds and wondering whether or not it'd be more effective to keep it on me or put it away, just to get more likely head explosions with Claire's magnum.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Marvin we really need to get you to a hospital"

looks back outside where characters just came from five minutes ago

tenor.gif

A and B definitely feel like different universes.

Changes that don't make sense:

Mr. X's continued presence in the lab section of B (or Leon B, anyway) when he clearly dies before that in Claire A
The Birkin fights
Annette and which of the two protags she interacts with

Other than that, though, the stories do fit neatly with each other, with Leon and Claire even having different final bosses. I think B scenario is the "canon" one with whoever you chose being the one who ends up dealing with
Birkin and Mr. X.

There's some continuity, but some irreconcilable differences as well... it's like halfway between RE1 and the OG RE2 in that regard.

Mr. X can possibly be explained due to it being a mass produced model, where the Mr. X in NEST is not the same one hat hunted Leon/Clare in RPD/Sewers