• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just bought the game.
I found 3 medalian and I can activate the statue.
Should I do it? There are a lot of places that I did not explore. Can I come back later or if I leave I cant get back?

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Rented the game this weekend and beat (Leon)A/(Claire)B runs and what a joy it was. Own a few Resident Evil games but this is the first I have actually played and beat (got others cheap but not started).

Want to play the original RE2 version to try out (probably opt on Vita). Would anyone recommend waiting before going into that or should I jump into it straight away? Get it will be slightly different and don't have issues jumping into the era of low poly counts.

Either that or jump into resident evil 1 remake and come back later for original

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Rented the game this weekend and beat (Leon)A/(Claire)B runs and what a joy it was. Own a few Resident Evil games but this is the first I have actually played and beat (got others cheap but not started).

Want to play the original RE2 version to try out (probably opt on Vita). Would anyone recommend waiting before going into that or should I jump into it straight away? Get it will be slightly different and don't have issues jumping into the era of low poly counts.

Either that or jump into resident evil 1 remake and come back later for original

Remake HD might be better to start with. It has an optional control scheme other than tank controls. You can try the tank controls and see if you can play with them, and switch them off if you find out you hate the experience. RE2 classic is an amazing game, but if you don't enjoy classic survival horror controls it may be a struggle. I hope you have a lot of fun with either game though, they both are classics and some of the best in the genre.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Remake HD might be better to start with. It has an optional control scheme other than tank controls. You can try the tank controls and see if you can play with them, and switch them off if you find out you hate the experience. RE2 classic is an amazing game, but if you don't enjoy classic survival horror controls it may be a struggle. I hope you have a lot of fun with either game though, they both are classics and some of the best in the genre.

Good to know, thanks for the response! Definitely going to pickup RE2 Remake in the future to do the ghost survivor stuff and then okay opposite runs for both characters but got really curious to see the original I'm action. Probably will pick up Nemesis also whenever I get RE2 original as they are only $6 each.

Will play around with REmake and control schemes. Luckily own 4 and 7 (VR for this one). and then Revelations and 5 are on Gamepass so I have no shortage to experience the series. That being said 2 Remake is really going to be hard to top.

Horror genre has always sorta alluded me but I have been buying up older titles when then go <$5 over the years and started going through them this year

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finally managed to finish the game with Claire b scenario. I hate to say this but I was pretty underwhelmed by the game overall and imo the original version of 2 is still my favourite Resi game. Its hard to explain why but I felt that this one lacked the charm and character of the original, there was no classic lines like Ben's "Get that scum..... Make him pay". The music was a massive downgrade as well, I cant remember a single piece of music from the new one, whereas the original is an absolute classic.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally playing through this!!! Just beat the first boss as Claire, it's been an incredible ride thus far. The licker looks incredible.

Quick question though, I looked up Ghost Survivors on PSN but can't find it? Where is it?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Finally managed to finish the game with Claire b scenario. I hate to say this but I was pretty underwhelmed by the game overall and imo the original version of 2 is still my favourite Resi game. Its hard to explain why but I felt that this one lacked the charm and character of the original, there was no classic lines like Ben's "Get that scum..... Make him pay". The music was a massive downgrade as well, I cant remember a single piece of music from the new one, whereas the original is an absolute classic.
I concur. While I absolutely loved the new version, it didn't replace the original for me. The lack of a proper 2nd run, the OST and the awful bonus Modi just had me drop the game. (Aside from the massive stutter that was introduced in the last patch for me)

In the end I am very happy as this means I get to enjoy two awesome renditions of my favourite RE game.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally playing through this!!! Just beat the first boss as Claire, it's been an incredible ride thus far. The licker looks incredible.

Quick question though, I looked Ghost Survivors on PSN but can't find it? Where is it?
You have to complete the game first iirc Though I can't remember if it's first clear or both.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Finished this game a number of times already and after a bit of a break I am back at it, doing hardcore mode.

Playing games with Claire A and Leon A with the original music and boy do I wish this was the default game.

The hardcore difficulty makes the most sense if you really want this to be like classic RE (it's not even really all THAT hard),

and the original music mode is a GAME CHANGER for me.

The classic music mode is soooooo damn much better. It's amazing how good the original RE2 music really was/is. Perfect atmosphere. I think videogames have lost this artform. Excellent, persistent music is not something we should lose. I understand moments of quiet, but the base game does it WAY too much. It reminds me of BOTW and how I feel that game makes the same mistake.

I'm never playing RE2 remake without the original music option ever again. This is simply the best of both worlds. More games should do stuff like this.

Anyways I still have yet to get tired of this masterpiece and this is like the 6th (or more?) time I've played it so far.

It's not a perfect game/remake, but it does SO much so well it's hard to complain about.

After this game I feel RE is in very good hands. This game created a very good formula.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe how fast I quit this game. Caocom really gave no shits about replay value or advances made in the series since the original.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing games with Claire A and Leon A with the original music and boy do I wish this was the default game.

The hardcore difficulty makes the most sense if you really want this to be like classic RE (it's not even really all THAT hard),

and the original music mode is a GAME CHANGER for me.

The classic music mode is soooooo damn much better. It's amazing how good the original RE2 music really was/is. Perfect atmosphere. I think videogames have lost this artform. Excellent, persistent music is not something we should lose. I understand moments of quiet, but the base game does it WAY too much. It reminds me of BOTW and how I feel that game makes the same mistake.

I'm never playing RE2 remake without the original music option ever again. This is simply the best of both worlds. More games should do stuff like this.

Anyways I still have yet to get tired of this masterpiece and this is like the 6th (or more?) time I've played it so far.

It's not a perfect game/remake, but it does SO much so well it's hard to complain about.
I see you too are a person of fantastic taste. Hardcore mode with the original music is flawless.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Can't believe how fast I quit this game. Caocom really gave no shits about replay value or advances made in the series since the original.

Uh, what lol?

Game has tons of replay value. It feels different every single time I play it. Depending on what you pick up and when, which Zombies you kill or maim, your journey will be different each time. I've felt a thrill every time I've played it.

I see you too are a person of fantastic taste. Hardcore mode with the original music is flawless.

High five! I love my music. Great music in movies/videogames is irreplaceable.

This modern trend of realism focusing on sounds and far too grounded soundscapes is not a good one. I think it's okay if the sound design is truly something special like Dead Space or Doom 3 but otherwise they should just stick a better mix of good music and sound.

RE2 feels like a whole new game with a different atmosphere with the classic music.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've unlocked Tofu mode, and....

It's certainly something. Like, maybe it's a callback to old PS1 games that had unlockable modes that are fun surprises when beating the main game on a fast time, but it's incredibly goofy to waddle around as a human-size block of tofu (with Jill's RE1 hat) trying to stab zombies with a combat knife.

Oct 25, 2017
It literally isn't different though, whatever your "feels". And its actual replay value is actually almost nonexistent.

If we're talking about the game in the literal sense, then you're factually wrong as playing the game in normal vs. hardcore is different. Playing the A scenario vs. B scenario is different. Playing Claire vs. Leon is different. Playing the Hunk scenario is different, and playing Tofu after that is even more different.

Plus, replayability is highly subjective. Games where nothing is different in subsequent playthroughs can still be replayable if the gameplay is phenomenal, and games where there are many artificial changes in subsequent playthroughs can also be crap and lack replay value.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about the game in the literal sense, then you're factually wrong as playing the game in normal vs. hardcore is different. Playing the A scenario vs. B scenario is different. Playing Claire vs. Leon is different. Playing the Hunk scenario is different, and playing Tofu after that is even more different.

Plus, replayability is highly subjective. Games where nothing is different in subsequent playthroughs can still be replayable if the gameplay is phenomenal, and games where there are many artificial changes in subsequent playthroughs can also be crap and lack replay value.
Leon A is always Leon A, puzzles never change when replaying what you already have (and since they were mostly 'fetch the answer' instead of actual puzzles you don't even need do that when replaying) , and as for ClaireA/B etc it has even less variation than the original game 21 years ago.

It's a one and done experience. Older games in the series have done much better, including the original game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
It's a one and done experience.

It absolutely isn't. Have you only played it once?

I've played it numerous times already and I've told you why the game takes on a different feel every play through. As the other poster said too there are two characters with different scenarios, side character stuff, and a whole other difficulty which adds even more challenge.

It's not one and done and it's kind of sad to see someone with an RE avatar seemingly shit on this game.

I love the classic REs as much as anyone, but I'd be crazy to make the claim the RE2 remake isn't a worthy entry.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely isn't. Have you only played it once?

I've played it numerous times already and I've told you why the game takes on a different feel every play through. As the other poster said too there are two characters with different scenarios, side character stuff, and a whole other difficulty which adds even more challenge.

It's not one and done and it's kind of sad to see someone with an RE avatar seemingly shit on this game.

I love the classic REs as much as anyone, but I'd be crazy to make the claim the RE2 remake isn't a worthy entry.
It's 1 scenario and playing the other character gives at best 5-10% 'new stuff'. And unlike the original doing A/B makes no real difference. Difficulty change is not new or different content in R2make's case.

And I never said the game was bad, but it is short lived due to poor content and replay value.

Oct 25, 2017
It's 1 scenario and playing the other character gives at best 5-10% 'new stuff'. And unlike the original doing A/B makes no real difference. Difficulty change is not new or different content in R2make's case.

And I never said the game was bad, but it is short lived due to poor content and replay value.

Agree to disagree then. You can't argue that it has poor replay value based on the amount of differences in subsequent playthroughs because there are several differences. Playing Leon A hardcore versus Leon A normal is absolutely a different experience. Playing Claire is absolutely a different experience as playing Leon (weapons, side-character segments, and story). I'll agree with you that the difference in playing A vs. B is marginal at best, but there were enough changes for it to be worth playing. Hell, REmake2 even has built in challenges through trophies/achievements and RE.net that make the game really replayable.

Would you say REmake1 is not replayable because playing as Chris once is basically playing as Chris on a new playthrough? Or that playing as Chris means you've practically played the game as Jill? What about OG RE2 where Leon A will always be Leon A (puzzles didn't change, boss battles didn't change, etc. etc.)? I'd argue both of those games are replayable too because there were enough changes to make them worth going back to on top of how fun the gameplay is.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree then. You can't argue that it has poor replay value based on the amount of differences in subsequent playthroughs because there are several differences. Playing Leon A hardcore versus Leon A normal is absolutely a different experience. Playing Claire is absolutely a different experience as playing Leon (weapons, side-character segments, and story). I'll agree with you that the difference in playing A vs. B is marginal at best, but there were enough changes for it to be worth playing. Hell, REmake2 even has built in challenges through trophies/achievements and RE.net that make the game really replayable.

Would you say REmake1 is not replayable because playing as Chris once is basically playing as Chris on a new playthrough? Or that playing as Chris means you've practically played the game as Jill? What about OG RE2 where Leon A will always be Leon A (puzzles didn't change, boss battles didn't change, etc. etc.)? I'd argue both of those games are replayable too because there were enough changes to make them worth going back to on top of how fun the gameplay is.
REmake has the branching path system, different things can happen each playthrough and there are like 4-5 variations of endings with each characters. Even then the original game was far better in this regard. REmake also has invisible enemy, Real Survival and One Dangerous Zombie modes.

Oct 25, 2017
REmake has the branching path system, different things can happen each playthrough and there are like 4-5 variations of endings with each characters. Even then the original game was far better in this regard. REmake also has invisible enemy, Real Survival and One Dangerous Zombie modes.

You mean the branching path system where you make one decision and/or one detour and then all of sudden one or two extra characters appear in the one-minute ending cutscene? That is your definition of replayability?

ReMake2 has hunk, tofu (5 even), and ghost survivor modes.

Like I said with my original argument, replayability is highly subjective. You're applying subjective criteria for defining replay value despite saying you're being objective. You used examples of what's replayable to you, and I used examples of what's replayable to me (by the way, I do find the branching path system as increasing a game's replayability). Both Remake1 and Remake 2, in my opinion, are replayable because objectively, there are enough variations in subsequent playthroughs that encourage the player to go back.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've unlocked Tofu mode, and....

It's certainly something. Like, maybe it's a callback to old PS1 games that had unlockable modes that are fun surprises when beating the main game on a fast time, but it's incredibly goofy to waddle around as a human-size block of tofu (with Jill's RE1 hat) trying to stab zombies with a combat knife.
Yeah, it's basically just a callback to the original RE2. You're not really supposed to try to stab them, rather you should try to avoid them and only use the knives as defensive weapons when you get grabbed. To me it's worth it to try to finish once because you unlock additional Tofu variants that have different weapon loadouts and some are fully jacked with guns and ammo, great if you're ever in the mood to just maul everything in sight.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I do wish the game had more unlockables and modes, but I still put almost 100 hours into replaying it over and over, lol.

Sep 7, 2018
I finally got this game and at the G stage 2 fight. I was mad at this game for a little bit because at one point Mr. X was constantly following me when I needed to move the bookshelves in the library. He would pop up in the hallway by the dark room every time I loaded up my game and I would have to wait until he left then I leave and he would always pop up nearby. I said fuck this when I thought I was finally clear from him until I climbed the ladder in the library and he was standing right there at the top.

I eventually made past it though, but now sort of struggling with the G stage 2 fight. I wish I had saved after I gathered the herbs and ribbons because it's annoying getting those and running back to the item box every time I die. I wish I had an effective way of keeping the boss at the middle of the platform so I don't have to worry about trying to dodge him and the train container.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I finally got this game and at the G stage 2 fight. I was mad at this game for a little bit because at one point Mr. X was constantly following me when I needed to move the bookshelves in the library. He would pop up in the hallway by the dark room every time I loaded up my game and I would have to wait until he left then I leave and he would always pop up nearby. I said fuck this when I thought I was finally clear from him until I climbed the ladder in the library and he was standing right there at the top.

I eventually made past it though, but now sort of struggling with the G stage 2 fight. I wish I had saved after I gathered the herbs and ribbons because it's annoying getting those and running back to the item box every time I die. I wish I had an effective way of keeping the boss at the middle of the platform so I don't have to worry about trying to dodge him and the train container.

Easily the single most annoying part of the entire game. I dunno why they give you so little space to work with in this boss fight and this boss fight alone.

Sep 7, 2018
Is this like in the original if I grab all of the hip puches, Leon won't have any during his scenario? I didn't get one in the RCPD because I was thinking that would make my Leon run way harder.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Is this like in the original if I grab all of the hip puches, Leon won't have any during his scenario? I didn't get one in the RCPD because I was thinking that would make my Leon run way harder.

Ouch lol. Nope. That isn't in this game. Take everything. You still have a chance to grab everything you missed up til this point if you haven't progressed further. Go do that now before going to the next area.

Oh my gosh, now I'm dying at the part where he's attacking from the ceiling.

I was wondering if that's even possible.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
Do acid rounds actually do shit in this game? I feel like they don't do shit and I should conserve my white Gunpowder for Submachine Gun ammo. Also how do I find Spark wire ammo for the Spark gun?

Oct 25, 2017
Do acid rounds actually do shit in this game? I feel like they don't do shit and I should conserve my white Gunpowder for Submachine Gun ammo. Also how do I find Spark wire ammo for the Spark gun?

Acid rounds are good for very specific enemies and bosses because of splash damage and DPS, but pretty terrible for your standard zombie/dog/licker. Fully upgraded SMG is pretty good though, but there's enough ammo floating around for that.

From what I recall, there are only three or four places for spark ammo.

Sep 7, 2018
Acid rounds are good for very specific enemies and bosses because of splash damage and DPS, but pretty terrible for your standard zombie/dog/licker. Fully upgraded SMG is pretty good though, but there's enough ammo floating around for that.

From what I recall, there are only three or four places for spark ammo.
I'm playing on hardcore and I only found SMG ammo once. I've had to combine white gunpowder for most of it. What's DPS stand for?

Sep 7, 2018
Ok how do I beat the final boss? I ran out of ammo and the clock ran out. Is there no ammo lying arounj during this fight? Every other boss they gave you ammo.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on hardcore and I only found SMG ammo once. I've had to combine white gunpowder for most of it. What's DPS stand for?

How far into the game are you? It's been a while since I completed the game, but from what I can remember, there were at least 5 or more SMG pickups throughout Claire's scenario. Many of them require solving puzzles though.

DPS is damage per second. Enemies continue to take damage from acid rounds as long as their bodies are still "steaming" (for lack of a better word) so you don't necessarily have to fire acid rounds one after the other. The un-upgraded SMG has terrible recoil with a small clip size and can waste a ton of ammo, limiting your DPS.

I do want to point out that flame rounds are infinitely better than acid rounds on both splash damage and DPS, which is probably why you can't craft them. At the very least acid rounds can stun lickers, Mr. X, and G1 Birkin, and can quickly dismember regular zombies.

That's all basically saying that Claire has a ton of variety in her arsenal.

Sep 7, 2018
Nevermind, managed to beat it on my 2nd try. Beat Claire A in 13:45:15 with a C ranking. That took a while. I'll think I'll wait a while until I do Leon's story.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok how do I beat the final boss? I ran out of ammo and the clock ran out. Is there no ammo lying arounj during this fight? Every other boss they gave you ammo.

Iirc that boss can basically only really be damaged by shooting the eyes on his chest.

His other body parts have so much health that they are basically invincible.

Just focus all your fire power on the eyes the next time you fight him.

Regular grenades rip him apart even on hardcore difficulty.

Last edited:

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
I started to play re2. I know the original but i have never played it through. REmake2 looks and plays great. But i instantly lost interest once i reached the jail/sewers+adas segment, where i was killed so many times by mr. X and there not many savepoints around there. Am i doing anything wrong? The police station was a breeze because i never got killed nor did i face many problems. I love the snappy menu and the fast opening of the map(especially with all the necessary icons to get around and which stuff is needed in that room)

Oct 25, 2017
I started to play re2. I know the original but i have never played it through. REmake2 looks and plays great. But i instantly lost interest once i reached the jail/sewers+adas segment, where i was killed so many times by mr. X and there not many savepoints around there. Am i doing anything wrong? The police station was a breeze because i never got killed nor did i face many problems. I love the snappy menu and the fast opening of the map(especially with all the necessary icons to get around and which stuff is needed in that room)

Ada's segment is basically just a mad dash to get from point A to point B. You don't engage with Mr. X at all and just rush to the next section.

As for the jail/sewer difficulty, the bolded could be a reason for that. RE2 has a bit of dynamic difficulty so if you blew through the station without taking much damage, enemies in later sections will take a bit more damage to drop/dismember and have more erratic movement.

Sep 7, 2018
Decided to start Scenario B with Leon. Damn, why didn't anybody tell me that Scenario B is even harder? I thought Claire A was hard on Hardcore Mode, but in B Zombies put you in Danger state after one bite and fucking zombies follow you around like Mr. X. I was by the locker room and saw a zombie doing somethi9ng by the vending machine and he didn't notice me, but after I went in the locker room like 30 seconds later I heard a pounding on the door and the same zombie from before burst in. Also, two other zombies burst into a room from out of nowhere while I was busy shooting another one.

I don't know if I can do this. Might start over and switch to Standard. I thought I could deal since I did claire on Hardcore, but 1-Danger bites and stalker zombies? Hell, No!

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Started Claire B run on hardcore mode, I remember anticipating the kennel would be a challenge as Leon A, but finding
the two Lickers in there instead was an enjoyable surprise.

I especially enjoy hardcore mode with Lickers since they become such bullet sponges and forces you to use stealth to try and get around them, really amps up the tension.

Also much more enjoyable playing with headphones with the volume up instead of my shitty tv speakers.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something to say about how great a game is when you complete the story mode and you immediately go back in. Re2 was an absolute joy to play. The combat was fun, the puzzles were great and it just had great pacing, never was I bored with it I was hooked the whole time.

So i started with Leon and did the 2nd run with Claire. Does anything change if I start with her then do Leon on the 2nd run?

Oct 25, 2017
There's something to say about how great a game is when you complete the story mode and you immediately go back in. Re2 was an absolute joy to play. The combat was fun, the puzzles were great and it just had great pacing, never was I bored with it I was hooked the whole time.

So i started with Leon and did the 2nd run with Claire. Does anything change if I start with her then do Leon on the 2nd run?

Not much difference. You get to see Claire interact with Marvin this time and use her SLS60 instead of the 6-shooter. Leon will have the M19 handgun for the 2nd run.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So I got an itch to replay RE2 1998 after beating the remake (which is amazing, I really hope Capcom doesn't keep us waiting too long for the next game).

Wow, the remake really, really improved on just about every area of the game. I remembered the sewers being a bunch of nothing but the labs were just as short. Basically once you leave the police station, the game is 2/3 over, the sewer + labs are about an hour long together, maybe a bit longer. About the only thing RE2 did better than RE2make is the beginning, which is pretty intense all things considered. This is strictly talking about the areas of the game (and yes, RE2make improved the police station greatly too).

The original is still great though.