• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I've had such a good time with RE2 that I've been tempted to pick up the 4-6 bundle, despite not liking any of those REs.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my Leon run.
yeah, okay, how the hell did ada survive?

Start as Claire and I've cleared everything I think except for going west from the main hall but there is a licker there. All I have is this hand gun. Do I just have to gitgud and kill it with it? Am I missing something?

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my Leon run.
yeah, okay, how the hell did ada survive?

Start as Claire and I've cleared everything I think except for going west from the main hall but there is a licker there. All I have is this hand gun. Do I just have to gitgud and kill it with it? Am I missing something?

Walk and don't make any noise. Even if it seems like the licker reacts (screeches and jolts) when you get close, just keep walking around. There's no way you can kill it with the handgun.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm on Claire B and have been scouring for the maiden statue's passcode and I just can't find it. I feel like I've turned every corner over.

update: I'm a dumbass and somehow never looked where Marvin had been sitting

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Is playing on Hardcore for your first play-through advisable? I'm looking for a more survival horror experience and it sounds good on paper but a lot of times these types of difficulties aren't balanced properly.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Is playing on Hardcore for your first play-through advisable? I'm looking for a more survival horror experience and it sounds good on paper but a lot of times these types of difficulties aren't balanced properly.

I'd say no. Hardcore mode is super tough and I feel like it's only doable if you understand the game's mechanics in-and-out. The normal mode provides a good challenge still and never really lets up on that feeling of suspense.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say no. Hardcore mode is super tough and I feel like it's only doable if you understand the game's mechanics in-and-out. The normal mode provides a good challenge still and never really lets up on that feeling of suspense.
It's less about challenge and more about wanting to play a game where I have to run away from enemies and conserve resources vs shooting up a bunch of zombies. Seeing that the ink ribbons are only in Hardcore is a bummer. It's really making me want to play on HC my first time. Damn you, RE nostalgia

Oct 25, 2017
It's less about challenge and more about wanting to play a game where I have to run away from enemies and conserve resources vs shooting up a bunch of zombies. Seeing that the ink ribbons are only in Hardcore is a bummer. It's really making me want to play on HC my first time. Damn you, RE nostalgia

I'd say try it to see how you like it. Just know that hardcore is very unforgiving to new players.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
There really needs to be more games like this today.

This game is so damn good. Capcom needs to expand on this with a deeper sequel with more weapons and enemies.

I'd take an RE2 2. Or of course, RE3make.

Every time I think of this game I always think how good the entire thing feels. Just moving the character around feels so smooth and good. One of the best feeling games ever. Add on top how good it was to see door unlock animations, puzzle solve animations, dealing with inventory, examining items again, etc. It was just such a joy to play.

One of the best return to form revivals I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
There really needs to be more games like this today.

This game is so damn good. Capcom needs to expand on this with a deeper sequel with more weapons and enemies.

I'd take an RE2 2. Or of course, RE3make.

Every time I think of this game I always think how good the entire thing feels. Just moving the character around feels so smooth and good. One of the best feeling games ever. Add on top how good it was to see door unlock animations, puzzle solve animations, dealing with inventory, examining items again, etc. It was just such a joy to play.

One of the best return to form revivals I've ever seen.

It's seriously amazing. Got me back into the franchise in general after falling off. I want a remake of 3. I want a remake of REmake in this style, because god the mansion is still RE to me.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I appreciated the return to horror in VII but it felt so disconnected from RE (and the "hillbilly horror" thing has never been my cup of tea) that I didn't really get into it. Didn't like the first person perspective either. RE2 remake is basically the perfect RE game to me now and I'd be happy if every one of them were made/remade in its style moving forward.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated the return to horror in VII but it felt so disconnected from RE (and the "hillbilly horror" thing has never been my cup of tea) that I didn't really get into it. Didn't like the first person perspective either. RE2 remake is basically the perfect RE game to me now and I'd be happy if every one of them were made/remade in its style moving forward.
True ending achieved. GOTY.
Yep. The game is amazing. I want all the classic, pre-RE4 RE games to be remade in this style. Even the first one; I want Capcom to remake the remake. Code: Veronica would also tremendously benefit from such a remake, considering how average it is.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE2R is basically an excellent blend of classic and action RE.

Hopefully RE8 is taking all of its inspiration from RE2R and none from RE7.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Trying my hand at a no item box run. Just got into the sewers in under two hours, so we will see how it goes from here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea what I am doing or where I am going in this game. I think I have gotten lost in the police station, and it's slightly frustating.

I have completed RE4, RE5, and RE6 - have enjoyed all games (although RE4 was by far the best game in the series), but I have never felt more lost in a video game. I am also confused why it takes 4/5 headshots to down the zombies this game? Ammo is sparse, yet enemies are also bullet sponges.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what I am doing or where I am going in this game. I think I have gotten lost in the police station, and it's slightly frustating.

I have completed RE4, RE5, and RE6 - have enjoyed all games (although RE4 was by far the best game in the series), but I have never felt more lost in a video game. I am also confused why it takes 4/5 headshots to down the zombies this game? Ammo is sparse, yet enemies are also bullet sponges.

RE2R is action RE in a classic RE campaign.

If you haven't played any of the classic style REs then it makes sense why you would feel lost. It's more about figuring your way out through a few environments rather than constantly moving to new ones.

Are you letting your aim reticle focus before you fire a shot with the gun? It both increases the damage (by 50% iirc) and the chance of a critical shot (to pop a head or limb with a single bullet).

A shotgun shot to the head is pretty much a guaranteed kill with a single shell. Same with some of the more powerful weapons/upgrades.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Headshots don't do more damage in RE2; you are better off shooting zombies in the kneeds to incapacitate them, then either knife them to death or leave them there to save on ammo. As Badwolf said, if you wait for your reticule to focus before shooting, you get a damage bonus and a critical hit chance bonus. Be sure to do that for every shot.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up playing through this for the first time. I did Leon A/Claire B. Went through on Standard difficulty with Leon, switched to Hardcore for Claire's B run, but also had a Claire B run on Standard difficulty as a back up which also let me see the differences between Standard and Hardcore.

Overall impressions were good. I think they struck the right balance here of making it feel modern but also like a "classic" RE, especially on Hardcore mode. The amount of resources, huge inventory, and infinite saves of the Standard difficulty did lower the suspense later in the game since you feel so overpowered. I played conservatively from the start and saved as much resources as I could since I went in with the classic RE mindset. I started to artificially restrict resources to make the game feel more intense. I would only carry a certain amount of ammo and health items. Hardcore mode on the other hand was great. Planning out your "runs" from save point to save point so that you get what you need without burning too many resources and then having to decide if you were optimal enough that you feel comfortable using the ink ribbon to save. It definitely brought back memories of playing classic RE. Hardcore can definitely be punishing though and there is some trial and error so it might not be for everyone. I wish there were more difficulty options, I feel like there's one missing between Standard and Hardcore. It would have the scarcer resources and ink ribbon saving of Hardcore with the enemies found in Standard mode, call it "Classic" difficulty. It would be the perfect first playthough difficulty for us who prefer the older RE games. Love the character redesigns across the board. They all look great. Leon and Claire have great walking animations and they "felt" good to control. I walked through most of the game my first time through just because of this. The enemy dismemberment system was cool as hell and totally surprising and was not expecting it at all.

Biggest disappointment for me was the music. I was hoping we'd get remixes of the classic RE2 tracks and we barely get any music at all. I guess technically you do hear remixed versions of the old music but it's so short and it was a bummer it wasn't more prominent. I was especially excited to hear the RPD and Save Room music but yea, there's almost nothing there. The other big disappointment was the A/B system not really being important or making any sense. Each campaign is basically the same and it does nothing but open up plot holes. I consider this more of an RE1 situation where there's one campaign and you chose your character. Both the sewers and lab area were much better this time around but still not as good as the RPD. This is an inherent problem with RE2 and I'm glad they're better..maybe not so much a disappointment but something that could've been improved even further than it was.

I think more than anything, this makes me want RE3Remake even more. Capcom plz

For the first part, I actually thought the game was a little too hand-holdy compared to classic RE and told you exactly what you should be doing. It wasn't a huge issue and I understand they wanted to modernize the game and give people a better sense of direction, but I enjoyed wandering around and stumbling upon new ways to progress in the classic series.

As for the second part, RE4-6 are different types of games and RE2 should not be played like them. Killing things should be a last resort and you should focus more on avoiding enemies to conserve resources. Shooting enemies to stun them will let you run by them, shooting their legs out is extremely effective. The sub-weapons are really strong with dealing with zombies too. You can stab zombies with the knife if you knocked them down and the grenades are great at crowd control. The sub-weapons are so much more effective when using them and not as a defensive options. Heath is just another resource like ammo, so taking a bite is not the worst thing in the world if you end up saving a sub-weapon or some ammo in the process. I had so much ammo at the end of my first playthrough on Standard playing like this.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had so much ammo at the end of my first playthrough on Standard playing like this.

Honestly, we are just playing like this out of habit at this point.

Both on normal and hardcore you get tons of ammo and healing items. Killing the majority of enemies you come across is no issue at all.

The same can be said for the first REmake. I hoarded everything (out of habit) and by the end of the game basically had an armory of stuff I didn't know what to do with.

The next time I revisit RE2R I'll just treat it as a full on TPS and fire away.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Any good readings online of the overall story / lore of the series or should I just wiki? Finished up both my Leon/Claire runs and I'm interested in knowing more b/c the Umbrella facility in RE2 seems really tiny.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any good readings online of the overall story / lore of the series or should I just wiki? Finished up both my Leon/Claire runs and I'm interested in knowing more b/c the Umbrella facility in RE2 seems really tiny.
The wiki is bloated with lots of BS included from non game sources that have parts definitely not canon.

There is so much lore though just from the games. Try find a way to play them if you can.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I really wish the game had a modular difficulty setting, even if it disabled difficulty trophies.

I usually play survival horror/action games on the hardest difficulty assuming it isn't a gimmick (like TEW where you die in one hit to anything) and was doing fine until I died once in the police station due to experimentation with the combat system to try and figure out the mechanics and ended up at the very start of the game 5 cutscenes back.

I want to play with the difficulty of hardcore but have a more generous save system for my first playthrough. Oh well, normal it is.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish the game had a modular difficulty setting, even if it disabled difficulty trophies.

I usually play survival horror/action games on the hardest difficulty assuming it isn't a gimmick (like TEW where you die in one hit to anything) and was doing fine until I died once in the police station due to experimentation with the combat system to try and figure out the mechanics and ended up at the very start of the game 5 cutscenes back.

I want to play with the difficulty of hardcore but have a more generous save system for my first playthrough. Oh well, normal it is.

Not sure why you would be experimenting without saving first but supplies in Hardcore were plenty generous overall.

I had more ammo, healing and ribbons than I knew what to do with.

If it's your first playthrough then just have fun in normal, no need to frustrate yourself.

Normal does have adaptive difficulty btw, enemies will get tougher as you play better. You will reach points where they take as much to kill as enemies on hardcore. Kinda like in God Hand.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not sure why you would be experimenting without saving first but supplies in Hardcore were plenty generous overall.

I had more ammo, healing and ribbons than I knew what to do with.

If it's your first playthrough then just have fun in normal, no need to frustrate yourself.

Normal does have adaptive difficulty btw, enemies will get tougher as you play better. You will reach points where they take as much to kill as enemies on hardcore. Kinda like in God Hand.
Well I figured there was at least a save after I started the new chapter or w/e

And by experimenting I mean like trying to figure out how to actually use melee/the knife lol

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I figured there was at least a save after I started the new chapter or w/e

And by experimenting I mean like trying to figure out how to actually use melee/the knife lol

Yeah that makes sense but still wouldn't do it without a save :p

You always have to save manually in Hardcore (using ribbons). It doesn't have auto-saves/checkpoints like in Normal.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yo this leon motherfucker really doesmt know how to run huh

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Thinking of getting this game. Especially after finding out on HLTB that it's around 8 hours.
Is that for a single playthrough? If so, how important is another run with Claire... is it the same stuff again, or a whole new thing.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Thinking of getting this game. Especially after finding out on HLTB that it's around 8 hours.
Is that for a single playthrough? If so, how important is another run with Claire... is it the same stuff again, or a whole new thing.
True Final boss for the 2nd runs toon, different starter gun for each of them(Claire gets the SAA from RE2 secret key, Leon gets the M19 with the gangster aiming style from the extra outfit), save and item spots get changed, enemies are more numerous and tankier overall.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
True Final boss for the 2nd runs toon, different starter gun for each of them(Claire gets the SAA from RE2 secret key, Leon gets the M19 with the gangster aiming style from the extra outfit), save and item spots get changed, enemies are more numerous and tankier overall.

Ok cheers. So besides different characters and changes here and there, the missions are the same yeh?

I usually just play a game once, and after that want to move on.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Ok cheers. So besides different characters and changes here and there, the missions are the same yeh?

I usually just play a game once, and after that want to move on.
Yup, RE 2019 A/B system is lame, if you aren't really feeling it you can stop at the first run even, you won't miss much.

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone spoil when Mr. X first shows up? I'm currently in possession of 2 of the 3 medallions and I can't keep clinching forever.

Game is pretty great by the way.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Can someone spoil when Mr. X first shows up? I'm currently in possession of 2 of the 3 medallions and I can't keep clinching forever.

Game is pretty great by the way.
Clinchinig is part of the fun! But if you really want to know:
Yeah, he' coming soon, assuming you're on the 1st run. While working towards the 3rd medallion you'll have to extinguish the fire from the helicopter that crashed into the station, and he will show up in a hallway shortly thereafter.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, he' coming soon, assuming you're on the 1st run. While working towards the 3rd medallion you'll have to extinguish the fire from the helicopter that crashed into the station, and he will show up in a hallway shortly thereafter.
I am a huge baby when it comes to horror games. Especially when I'm being chased by an unkillable enemy. The Regenerator in Dead Space 2 gave me so much anxiety. And it is only in the game for like an hour and a half.

Sep 12, 2018
Not true, he shows up after you first return to the police station after getting the 3 medallions and defeating the first boss.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not true, he shows up after you first return to the police station after getting the 3 medallions and defeating the first boss.
Yikes, you're right.

Sorry, Indy! Haven't played since April and I guess my memory isn't what it once was. I swear I wasn't trying to mess with you! FWIW I was partway right, it is after you extinguish the helicopter fire, but for some reason I thought that was done before you get the 3rd medallion.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness gracious, this game is good. I was too much of a wuss to play on normal but I'm still having a blast. The atmosphere is absolutely incredible. I do wish they'd been able to get the original voice actors but oh well.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i am really LTTP cos of the black friday sale @ Microsoft , game is very good as i am a RE fan since the first RE on the old playstation