• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the discussion about REmake 3 is making me itching to replay this! Going to start up a game today if I can manage to tear myself free from Outer Wilds.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Finally started this. It's pretty cool, but after Sekiro, that slow-ass running speed gives me physical pain~

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I've been playing through this today and got out of the police stations but never got one of the keys and never figured out what to do with the septum/jewel... Do you end up going back there or did I miss out? Also, I really need to conserve ammo more, I didn't know it would be so scarce... or those Zombies so tough

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I finished Claire A. Started Leon B just to peek a little and WHAT THE HELL lickers already and oh Mr X already yeah no fuck this 👀

Oct 26, 2017
Wow that ending was abrupt... Also, why was he so torn up over Ada? She was a mercenary ready to sell the virus off to the highest bidder, betraying his trust and using him for her own benefit. Leon is one dumb motherfucker.
Does the second run add anything significant or is it more of the same? Curious to see how Claire's story goes, fun game nonetheless.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I started playing this again. Hardcore with Claire A.

God I love this game so much. Classic music enabled makes it even better.

Definitely the GOTY of 2019.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Wow that ending was abrupt... Also, why was he so torn up over Ada? She was a mercenary ready to sell the virus off to the highest bidder, betraying his trust and using him for her own benefit. Leon is one dumb motherfucker.
Does the second run add anything significant or is it more of the same? Curious to see how Claire's story goes, fun game nonetheless.

Off-topic nitpick: She's not actually a mercenary that wants to sell the virus. She works for an entire organization and is somewhat of a triple-agent in the RE universe. Her mission in RE2 was to steal the G-Virus for Wesker, whom has a long-standing professional relationship with her.

As for why Leon was torn up: Because he confirmed that she wasn't as heartless as Annette made it seem. He challenged her to shoot him and take the sample right then and there, yet she couldn't do it - their emotions and feelings for each other were mutual and they were not one-sided. You can see Leon smile as Ada puts her gun down in frustration/submission before Annette shoots her.

The second run doesn't add anything to the climax. Ada survives the fall and helps Leon in his final battle against Mr. X by throwing him a rocket launcher. (She's the shadowy figure that says "we'll call it even")

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
So I got this for Christmas and started on hardcore with Claire. Been on a bit of an RE kick lately so it would've felt wrong playing through without ink ribbons. Any survival tips/things I should know early on?

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I finished Claire A. Started Leon B just to peek a little and WHAT THE HELL lickers already and oh Mr X already yeah no fuck this 👀
you can do it i believe in you :D

Makes more sense than the original
where they fell in love with each other. knowing each other for a quarter of a day at most. The kiss in the remake felt more like she was taking advantage of his bubbly boyscoutish personality (though still ended up respecting and valuing him)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finally been able to play this and the nostalgia is real. This game can really scare the crap out of me, but it's so fun to play.

Also, I finally reached the Mr. X part and now I literally have been hiding at the safe room for about 30 minutes to catch my breath. Those fucking footsteps are terrifying to listen too. The game just got more scarier if it wasn't scary enough.
2m1463.jpg

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Just started playing through Leon B as well. While it's pretty intense having to deal with Mr X from the get-go, the fact you can blaze through the first tour of the RPD at high speed kind of makes up for it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game is so good but sometimes the rain/water/textures looks so weird.
What is going on with the rain and those walls. These are much offputting in motion.

Edit: not showing things properly. Like the 4th image, the hair in the rain looked like a Christmas tree.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Also, I finally reached the Mr. X part and now I literally have been hiding at the safe room for about 30 minutes to catch my breath. Those fucking footsteps are terrifying to listen too. The game just got more scarier if it wasn't scary enough.

I take it you haven't played Alien Isolation? It is approximately 50,000 times scarier.

Outlast 2's early parts are also absolutely ruthless.

Dark wood as well. Shit is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I take it you haven't played Alien Isolation? It is approximately 50,000 times scarier.

Outlast 2's early parts are also absolutely ruthless.

Dark wood as well. Shit is ridiculous.

I haven't played that yet. I watched a lot of YouTubers play just to see the reactions. It does look scary.

I knew about Mr. X when he was a meme hit earlier this year, but experiencing him for the first time is still terrifying. They're still places I haven't explored yet in the police station and now I have to worry about him plus a licker that's still around. 😭

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The key to the B play through is to bulldoze your way to the three emblems as quickly as possible. Once you enter the passageway that opens, Mr. X despawns and you can go back into the station at your leisure.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've finally gotten around to experiencing Mr. X for myself, I can say that I personally don't find him scary so much as annoying.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
The game is so good but sometimes the rain/water/textures looks so weird.
What is going on with the rain and those walls. These are much offputting in motion.

Edit: not showing things properly. Like the 4th image, the hair in the rain looked like a Christmas tree.
can't speak for the latter 3 images but the first two, the floors of the main hall and such look weird in motion because of how the RE Engine handles screen space Reflections. Its the type of thing that would be a complete non-issue if the game used ray tracing but it doesn't so here we are lol

as for the hair in the rain, are you playing on pc? If so, switch your Anti Aliasing to TAA or TAA+FXAA

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've finally gotten around to experiencing Mr. X for myself, I can say that I personally don't find him scary so much as annoying.
I think most people ended up here. Fighting him a waste of time and ammo as he just get back up very quickly, so he just a chore to kite around the RPD.

One of my 2nd scenario speed runs was ruined as he kept patrolling the west set of stairs I needed use at a time with no other routes unlocked, you can't get passed him as no room so I needed him patrol the corridor, but after 5 minutes he still on stairs, so I had to let him spot me in the save room and 'reset' his patrol by hiding again, except it took 20 resets before he chose corridor instead of stairs. I restarted the entire run and he went corridor 1st time.

I don't find this good design. Hoping the RE3 Remake let's us down Nemesis and not see him a good while like in the original.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't find this good design. Hoping the RE3 Remake let's us down Nemesis and not see him a good while like in the original.
It's good design because he's a stalker that's easy to play around but threatening enough so that you can't just ignore him. You can even lure him to other areas by firing shots there if he's blocking your way, being random but manageable adds so much replay value to the game.

Even in a corridor with no ammo you can still make him whiff an attack and run past him before he recovers, it's risky, but still way better than waiting him out during a speedrun.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man 4th survivor is impossible, holy shit.

I have a question. So i played Leon A - Claire B already. Now on Claire A and
is it just the same as Leon A but you find Sherry and do the orphanage stuff like in Claire B? So the difference is how you get to RPD?

And regarding Kendo dude,
his only role is that cutscene with Leon?

I'll be happy if someone can help me with those questions.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't have fun with this game, no matter how much I try.
What issues do you have with it? I'm sure we can help you have the game "click" for you.

Here are some pointers:
  • bullets deal the same amount of damage to zombies regardless of where they land. So a headshot deals the same damage as shooting a zombie in the hand.
  • to build on the previous point, the best strategy to better deal with zombies is to shoot them in the knees to largely incapacitate their movement. Once they are down, you can better shoot them to death, or better, you can knife them to death.
  • regarding your aiming reticule: you deal more damage per bullet when your reticule is small and has a dot in its middle. That's called a "focus shot". Focus shots deal slightly more damage AND slightly raise the chance of a critical hit. A critical hit on the head results in instant death with the head exploding, while a critical hit on a limb (such as the knee) results in the immediate detachment of said limb from the body.
  • lickers will only attack you if you either run or touch them. If you walk, they will not attack you. The speed of your walk is not relevant; you can walk at the fastest speed possible.
  • Mr. X will aggro only if he sees you or if you shoot your firearm. He will also hear you if you run while in very close proximity to him (such as being in the same room as him). You can safely run when you are in a different room from him; he will not hear you. Let's say you want to access a room that he's around; you can go to the other side of the police station, shoot one bullet to attract him there, then immediately run back to where he was originaly (while making sure you don't run into him).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man 4th survivor is impossible, holy shit.

I have a question. So i played Leon A - Claire B already. Now on Claire A and
is it just the same as Leon A but you find Sherry and do the orphanage stuff like in Claire B? So the difference is how you get to RPD?

And regarding Kendo dude,
his only role is that cutscene with Leon?

I'll be happy if someone can help me with those questions.
yes to both of your questions.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
What issues do you have with it? I'm sure we can help you have the game "click" for you.

Here are some pointers:
  • bullets deal the same amount of damage to zombies regardless of where they land. So a headshot deals the same damage as shooting a zombie in the hand.
  • to build on the previous point, the best strategy to better deal with zombies is to shoot them in the knees to largely incapacitate their movement. Once they are down, you can better shoot them to death, or better, you can knife them to death.
  • regarding your aiming reticule: you deal more damage per bullet when your reticule is small and has a dot in its middle. That's called a "focus shot". Focus shots deal slightly more damage AND slightly raise the chance of a critical hit. A critical hit on the head results in instant death with the head exploding, while a critical hit on a limb (such as the knee) results in the immediate detachment of said limb from the body.
  • lickers will only attack you if you either run or touch them. If you walk, they will not attack you. The speed of your walk is not relevant; you can walk at the fastest speed possible.
  • Mr. X will aggro only if he sees you or if you shoot your firearm. He will also hear you if you run while in very close proximity to him (such as being in the same room as him). You can safely run when you are in a different room from him; he will not hear you. Let's say you want to access a room that he's around; you can go to the other side of the police station, shoot one bullet to attract him there, then immediately run back to where he was originaly (while making sure you don't run into him).

I appreciate the advice, but the problems persist. You conserve your ammo, but when X starts chasing you, you run through a gauntlet of zombies and lickers because you didn't clear the room. I can't solve puzzles or progress because his ass won't leave me alone long enough. Maybe I'm just stupid or losing my aptitude as I've gotten older. I was never annoyed this much with the original games, not even with Nemesis in 3.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the advice, but the problems persist. You conserve your ammo, but when X starts chasing you, you run through a gauntlet of zombies and lickers because you didn't clear the room. I can't solve puzzles or progress because his ass won't leave me alone long enough. Maybe I'm just stupid or losing my aptitude as I've gotten older. I was never annoyed this much with the original games, not even with Nemesis in 3.

what about playing on a lower difficulty?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got kind of gud and made it to the lab. It's a high quality game, but the environments aren't as fun to explore as in the original. I don't bother going back to check some areas because of the fear of wasting ammo.

I forgot to go back towards the beginning of the sewers and unlock those two doors. Did I miss anything of importance?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got kind of gud and made it to the lab. It's a high quality game, but the environments aren't as fun to explore as in the original. I don't bother going back to check some areas because of the fear of wasting ammo.

I forgot to go back towards the beginning of the sewers and unlock those two doors. Did I miss anything of importance?
Behind one of the doors is an elevator that leads back to the police station. You can get an extension for the magnum or the uzi.

Dec 11, 2017
Playing the game for the first time, Leon A. Tell me about enemy persistence/permanence.

I got the 3 medallions and I am about to leave a wounded Marvin. I've killed every zombie I'm aware of but I just ran away from both Lickers.

Will they still be there when I return to the station later and I'm being chased by Mr. X or whatever? Should I go back and kill them now?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the game for the first time, Leon A. Tell me about enemy persistence/permanence.

I got the 3 medallions and I am about to leave a wounded Marvin. I've killed every zombie I'm aware of but I just ran away from both Lickers.

Will they still be there when I return to the station later and I'm being chased by Mr. X or whatever? Should I go back and kill them now?
They will still be there.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I held off for so long but recently I finally tried the Hunk scenario.

Good lord.

Seems very hard but I did almost make it to the end on my second try. Those mutant things are the worst.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Should I go back and kill them now?

Yes, it's for the best. You can leave the one in front of the STARS room but it's still a risk. Better to kill as many as you can.

As long as you keep your cool you can actually walk right past Lickers that haven't been alerted to hour presence. Sometimes they will start moving and/or make a noise when you're very close to them, but you can basically be right beside them walking as slow as you can and you're still safe. You can walk right underneath them too. But if you touch them they will attack you. The one outside the STARS room is always easy to stealth by, the only problem is if you need to get by there while the Tyrant is after you.

Tyrant doesn't enter 2 rooms. One I don't think you've gotten to and the STARS room. And maybe the art room with the king statue/scepter. And obviously save rooms.

I believe he enters every other room.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, less than 40% of people got the trophy for clearing the game with Claire, compared to slightly over half who've cleared it with Leon. Though I decided to save Leon 1st for my second playthrough, I'm already under the impression from what I know that unlike the original RE2, playing through with him is going to be the less ideal option thanks to him having the worse selection of weapons between the two this time (playing as Ada seems like it'll be more bothersome than playing as Sherry compared to their sections in the original, too).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Enemies remain. If you damaged them without killing them, they will NOT regain their HP, ever.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
When I first read the suggestion of using the knife to kill Lickers, I wasn't taking it seriously. After seeing for myself just how garbage the shotgun is against them, I said screw it and actually tried it, and killed one without it even touching me (the stun lock left it unable to do much of anything).
Thank you for the responses, everyone.
Try the seemingly crazy thing I just mentioned if you're having trouble against those things with Leon.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
Got this for Christmas and started playing properly over the last couple of days. I'm ~4 hours in and have just put the 3 medallions in and entered the passageway. I know about Mr. X popping up but I've not bumped into him yet.
BTW, this game is scary as shit - much worse than Resi7.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished my first playthrough - went with the Leon story. Absolutely fantastic game. I took my time, and it lasted a little over 10 hours.

Can you guys help me decide what to do next? I likely only want to play once more:
- Do I choose 2nd Run as Claire or New Game as Claire? What are the differences?
- How long will the Claire New Game story be? 2nd Run length?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished my first playthrough - went with the Leon story. Absolutely fantastic game. I took my time, and it lasted a little over 10 hours.

Can you guys help me decide what to do next? I likely only want to play once more:
- Do I choose 2nd Run as Claire or New Game as Claire? What are the differences?
- How long will the Claire New Game story be? 2nd Run length?
2nd run as Claire, as it gets you the true ending.

The 2nd run is maybe 2/3rds the lenght of the 1st run. The difference is that the police station is shorter because the game gives you key items at a faster rate, so you progress through the building faster. Some enemy placements are also different, so expect some surprises here and there. Outside of that, the two runs are pretty similar. I mean, there are still the differences between Claire and Leon's stories, so there is that for you to look forward to.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on normal as Claire. Right after I pick up the chain cutters or whatever, I go into the room and there are two zombies and then two or three more in the next room. Am I supposed to kill all these guys or just run or what? I don't have tons of handgun ammo and have been trying to just run by them but there are items laying around that I'm missing in the process. Any tips?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'm playing on normal as Claire. Right after I pick up the chain cutters or whatever, I go into the room and there are two zombies and then two or three more in the next room. Am I supposed to kill all these guys or just run or what? I don't have tons of handgun ammo and have been trying to just run by them but there are items laying around that I'm missing in the process. Any tips?
If you're having difficulty avoiding them, shoot them in the knees - it takes far fewer shots to take out a leg than to kill a zombie. Crawling zombies are much easier to stay away from, and seem to have a smaller grab radius. Make sure to aim until your reticule focuses - each shot will inflict far more damage that way.
When I did 2nd run, I wound up turning the entire RPD into an obstacle course.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I went from hating it and being really frustrated to being two trophies away from the platinum. The bullet sponge zombies and their bullshit grabs can still go fuck themselves.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I held off for so long but recently I finally tried the Hunk scenario.

Good lord.

Seems very hard but I did almost make it to the end on my second try. Those mutant things are the worst.

It's really not that bad once you know how to take advantage of pathing and use grenades. You really don't even have to shoot that much.