• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed last night. Beat both Leon and Claire's campaign on Hardcore in one setting. Getting through some of Leon's run was a nightmare.
You did it! That's what matters.

What are your times? Here are mine:

qcGfqJP.jpg

You better fucking believe that my first two runs that each clocked over 1:59:59 are super bothering me. I wish I had gone back to redo them after I did all the others.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
You did it! That's what matters.

What are your times? Here are mine:

qcGfqJP.jpg

You better fucking believe that my first two runs that each clocked over 1:59:59 are super bothering me. I wish I had gone back to redo them after I did all the others.

I only have S rank on their first runs, and I'm not a very good speed runner. I'm pretty bad, and glad just to have gotten through it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only have S rank on their first runs, and I'm not a very good speed runner. I'm pretty bad, and glad just to have gotten through it.
The Resident Evil games (the classic ones) are the only games that I like to try to get the best grades, which involves somewhat of a speedrun. In the case of RE2R, it's not as hard as it looks. I recommend you check this video from Carcinogen. Even if you aren't interested in trying to get S+, the video will surely teach you some stuff that might make you want to keep playing the game. It's also just entertaining to watch.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The Resident Evil games (the classic ones) are the only games that I like to try to get the best grades, which involves somewhat of a speedrun. In the case of RE2R, it's not as hard as it looks. I recommend you check this video from Carcinogen. Even if you aren't interested in trying to get S+, the video will surely teach you some stuff that might make you want to keep playing the game. It's also just entertaining to watch.

I'll check it out. There have been times where I've struggled and looked at a guide and just face palmed because it's so obvious.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I finished my first run through the game with Leon, gonna start the Claire run this evening. I didn't know anything about this remake going in and I was definitely surprised by how challenging I found it even on standard. The last part of the station, where Mr. X is a constant threat, was pretty stressful. They made zombies such bullet sponges that running past is sometimes the only option. I know that's how you should play by default, but in the police station it's reassuring to clear rooms you have to pass multiple times, especially if you're still learning the layout. Also this is the first RE game I remember where the zombies can take this much heat before going down, at least with the handgun. The chance for a crit on headshot was also pretty low, only with the shotty I got a good chance of taking one out immediately.

I see you get an unbreakable knife if you find all the raccoons and that would make it more tempting to try speeding through the game. I'll finish the Claire run and then see if I want to spend more time with it. This seems like a very satisfying plat to get, but it's also pretty time-consuming.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I see you get an unbreakable knife if you find all the raccoons and that would make it more tempting to try speeding through the game. I'll finish the Claire run and then see if I want to spend more time with it. This seems like a very satisfying plat to get, but it's also pretty time-consuming.
Yeah the infinite knife is a great tool to have while hunting down the platinum. It doesn't block you from receiving the S+ rankings that you will need, whereas the infinite guns will. The platinum actually isn't that bad if you don't mind following videos. The one by Carcinogen posted above is good, and Darkness has "Everyman's Guides" to Hardcore S+ runs. They worked perfectly for me, and took less than 5 hours to get both Hardcore/S+ playthoughs done, including a re-load because some crafty zombies were hiding behind a door and double bit me to death.

You can pound out Frugalist, Minimalist, and Small Carbon Footprint in one quick run using this guide. You can do it on Assisted, which helps with not using healing items.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Goddamn the police station on the B story is insanely difficult if you trigger Mr X too early. Most annoyingly, trying to get hip pouches to actually carry anything around with him on your tail. The second stretch run when you can use the secret passage as a safe room is atleast easier then having to sprint to the ends of the earth just to hide from him.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Mainline the medallions on the B run. Once you descend into the safe room and go near the elevator below the goddess statue, Mr. X despawns from the police station, so you can just go back in and gather everything else at that point.

Brandwin

Jan 1, 2018
Going to grab this while it's on sale. Should I get the version that's $5 more with the DLC. Total is $23.

any beginner tips?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to grab this while it's on sale. Should I get the version that's $5 more with the DLC. Total is $23.

any beginner tips?
Yeah get the DLC.

Tips:
-zombies take the same amount of damage regardless of where you shoot them.
-the focus shot (when you stand still and your aiming reticule shrinks and a dot appears in it) deals slightly more damage and has slightly more chance of a critical hit (which destroys the limb or head of the zombie)
-the most efficient way to dispatch zombies is to shoot them in the knees until the leg detaches, then knifing them to death.
-Mr. X will hear your gun shots from wherever you are, and will go straight for you when you shoot. He will only hear you running if you are very close to him (in the same room, close to him), so you can safely run most of the time.

Enjoy what is possibly my favorite of the generation!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Okay then, S rank with Leon down now, my first run with him only going as well as it did because of already playing through the game once before with Claire and making use of Carcinogen's walkthroughs. It was only thanks to the latter that I was able to get the Frugalist trophy in the process, and while I have no idea what possessed me to even bother try getting it with Leon, it's done and now I never need to do that ever again.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying REAL hard to play Hardcore and this shit drains me lol!

I'm trying a 3 save run and I usually do my first one AFTER the first Birkin fight, reached him yesterday and he bodied me hard. D:

Might save before...

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017

I'm trying a 3 save run and I usually do my first one AFTER the first Birkin fight, reached him yesterday and he bodied me hard. D:

Might save before...

Better to save before the fight, Birkin on Hardcore is no joke.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Might save before...
My saves:
1. before Birkin 1
2. before Birkin 2
3. before Birkin 3

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'll do from now on.

I took Birkin 1 for granted as I always breezed through him in Normal...but now it's another story.
The stretch between birkin 1 and 2 will be the longest, but it's manageable. Just remember that you can easily pass the g-types in the sewers. When they are submerged and waiting, shoot them to make them come up, and run past them during their coming out animation. Still in the sewers, the second g-unit you encounter in that long room that leads to the room that has the two keys: you can stagger him with one hand grenade. If you play with Leon, that should be the only hand grenade you use outside of the last boss with Mr. X, as that one requires all the grenades in the game in order for you to handle him well.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stretch between birkin 1 and 2 will be the longest, but it's manageable. Just remember that you can easily pass the g-types in the sewers. When they are submerged and waiting, shoot them to make them come up, and run past them during their coming out animation. Still in the sewers, the second g-unit you encounter in that long room that leads to the room that has the two keys: you can stagger him with one hand grenade. If you play with Leon, that should be the only hand grenade you use outside of the last boss with Mr. X, as that one requires all the grenades in the game in order for you to handle him well.
Thanks, yeah I'm used to that trick with the G-Types, watching some speedruns after finishing the game last year proved to be really useful!

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So RE2 ended up being my most played game of 2019, with 79 hours out of a total of 278 hours for the year.

I'm expecting more of the same with RE3. Might even have more playing time since it's my fav in the series. 🥰

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question
I'm back to the game to try finish route B (with Claire)
I'm at the clock tower section and Mr X is so damn annoying, later on this route can I go back to the police station? (just like in route a with León)

Mar 22, 2019
Playing as Claire - first time ever going through a RE game and enjoying it.
Only thing is I'm really annoyed by the lack of inventory slots; my first instinct is to dump everything into storage boxes except my weapons and then go exploring...but then finding myself backtracking to the storage box when I hit a wall or something I need.

Also a bit confused as to where to go next; I'm still relatively early days but just SPOILER TEXT!
I know broadly to chase after the little girl and get a keycard for the parking garage door but don't really know what to do...

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
This game is terrifying. Bought it on sale and spent 4 hours in the police station. That indestructible guy with the hat scares the shit out of me. I thought I was getting used to the game and started running through the hallways of the station but nope I am scared shitless of facing him behind every corner and sneak around like the first time exploring the place. And I see his friggin hat everywhere. Or is it just me?
Great game!

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Leon's story yesterday and I really liked the game besides the Ada Wong segment. The finale was good with a lot of tension and I am excited to see the Story from claire. Somehow I couldn't discard any of the used story items like keys and stuff so I put them all in the item box which made item management a pain.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Story items can be discarded after you've used them on everything they can be used for. They'll have a red check mark appear.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Played RE7 after loving this remake and man was it a let down, RE2 really was something special
I really appreciated RE7 when it came out, but I think RE2 quickly outclassed it, pacing and gameplay wise especially

RE7 was an imperfect lob-sided game but put my trust in Capcom that they could make a game that harkened back to the classic Resident Evil formula

Brandwin

Jan 1, 2018
I just started this. Not too deep, few hours. Got a question

I just got to the"Special Room" But I have a few puzzles to finish. Missing the piece for the jack in the library. The #3.button for weapons room and the PC Card to open a locked gate.Will I return to this area once I proceeded some in the special room or I won't be able to go back and should have found these items already? Thanks! [/spoilers]

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I just started this. Not too deep, few hours. Got a question

I just got to the"Special Room" But I have a few puzzles to finish. Missing the piece for the jack in the library. The #3.button for weapons room and the PC Card to open a locked gate.Will I return to this area once I proceeded some in the special room or I won't be able to go back and should have found these items already? Thanks! [/spoilers]
You'll come back to the police station after a short section. Each of those things will come into play after you return. Currently they are behind locked doors that you don't yet have the keys for.

Oct 26, 2017
I really appreciated RE7 when it came out, but I think RE2 quickly outclassed it, pacing and gameplay wise especially

RE7 was an imperfect lob-sided game but put my trust in Capcom that they could make a game that harkened back to the classic Resident Evil formula

Yeah I definitely see how it was a breath of fresh compared to some of the titles that came out prior to it, but going from RE2 to RE7 is a real step down. It's a fine game, but I really did not enjoy the enemy encounters or boss battles.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I managed to finish both Leon A and Claire A on Hardcore with an S+ rank within a single afternoon! These were only my 5th and 6th playthroughs, too. lol

I did pretty well at not dying. I only got majorly set back once from it, and every other time I died was within a couple of minutes of a previous save.
My saves:
1. before Birkin 1
2. before Birkin 2
3. before Birkin 3
Personally, my 2nd save would be before tackling the Organ Trail room (the one with the million G-Mutants in it). How you can get through that room is basically completely up to chance depending on how nice the G-Mutants behave. You can use anywhere from 0-3 frag grenades trying to get through that.

The lab is consistent enough to not have to worry about dying there, and the G2 fight is the only other point of contention where things can go awry until you reach the 3rd save point.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Sherry segment the other day and it was really tense for me. Somehow it was really frightening to play as that little helpless girl and having no ways of fighting back. Really good story progression here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
had this on my backlog and I just finished Leon's A scenario.
That ending was cathartic. My perspective of the game changed, since I was very critic of it from the beginning, but I ended up linking it very much.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Playing this now and dunno what to do

I have two medallions. I need to move the bookcase in the library and find a crank, but I feel like I've looked everywhere

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this now and dunno what to do

I have two medallions. I need to move the bookcase in the library and find a crank, but I feel like I've looked everywhere
Focus on 3rd medallion. Can't do bookcase/crank until a bit later.

Need to combine a couple of things to make something go boom on 3rd floor.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Focus on 3rd medallion. Can't do bookcase/crank until a bit later.

Need to combine a couple of things to make something go boom on 3rd floor.
Ok thanks, I see what my issue is now... I had missed a chained door. Kinda wish they had a different icon for those, thought it was inaccessible because it was just red

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first run with Leon. Should I now play Claire next or new game 2nd run?
I read that the way to the true ending is to play now second run so seems like I should take that?
I assume the normal Claire option is not needed for me because that is only for people that want to do the first run with her?

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Just finished my first run with Leon. Should I now play Claire next or new game 2nd run?
I read that the way to the true ending is to play now second run so seems like I should take that?
I assume the normal Claire option is not needed for me because that is only for people that want to do the first run with her?
Second run, if you start a new game with Claire you'll play the same stuff as Leon, so go for Claire 2nd run and you'll get a new ending, items are in different places and you'll have some new challenges.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Currently on second run, but it is my third playthrough and it is really challenging. A lot of new threats and a constant Mr x right behind me.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Currently on second run, but it is my third playthrough and it is really challenging. A lot of new threats and a constant Mr x right behind me.
Probably too late now, but you can minimize time spent dealing with Mr. X in the 2nd Run by going to the STARS office as late as possible because that is when he enters the game. Do everything else you possibly can before going there and then quickly finish the part after that and he will be gone until he is scripted to return later.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Probably too late now, but you can minimize time spent dealing with Mr. X in the 2nd Run by going to the STARS office as late as possible because that is when he enters the game. Do everything else you possibly can before going there and then quickly finish the part after that and he will be gone until he is scripted to return later.

Don't worry. I almost finished the police station by now. Just one more trip to the armory through licker territory and I am done. It is really interesting how the B scenario changes things up.

FootieGamer

Nov 3, 2017
I'm on the final boss on Leon's campaign and I have no herbs at all. Am I just screwed?

Oh, and my health is on Danger. So one hit and I'm killed.