• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e190129.html

Press Release:

Resident Evil 2 Ships 3 Million Units Worldwide in First Week of Sales!

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Resident Evil 2for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X, and PC has shipped 3 million units globally.

The Resident Evil franchise features survival horror games in which players utilize a variety of weapons and other items to escape terrifying situations. Cumulative sales of the games in the series now total 88 million units* since the first title debuted in 1996. More than 20 years later, continuous support from the passionate fan base across the globe makes it Capcom's flagship game series. *As of January 28, 2019

Originally released in 1998, Resident Evil 2 went on to achieve cumulative sales of 4.96 million units, making it the fourth best-selling game in the Resident Evil franchise. In the 2019 release, Capcom used its cutting-edge R&D facilities to build the game completely from the ground up for current-generation game platforms. In addition to visual effects, including detailed, photo-realistic graphics made possible with RE ENGINE, Capcom's proprietary development engine, the title provides players with a fresh horror experience via audio featuring Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 and real-time sound image rendering that utilizes binaural technology. Resident Evil 2 garnered mass attention prior to release, being honored with Best of Show in the Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2018—as judged by major game media outlets from around the globe—as well as boasting over 4.7 million downloads for its "1-Shot Demo," propelling sales to 3 million units worldwide in the title's first week. Further, with Resident Evil 7 biohazard (released in January 2017) having now gone on to sell a cumulative 6 million units*, Capcom looks to achieve similar, long-term sales for Resident Evil 2 as well. *As of December 31, 2018

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I just beat Leon's story! Great game. Deserved sales. Capcom doing great work.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Fuck yea.

Also a little salty my deluxe copy had the plastic cover (not the shrink wrap) torn up. Normally I wouldn't have taken it but I really wanted to get home and play and they it was their last copy. Serves me right for reserving at Gamestop

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy about this. Capcom is doing great work and I hope the market rewards them for it.

To 3 Mills more and beyond!

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Watched my friend play the first few hours the other night. Game is badass and deserves all of its success. I was never a RE guy but I can't stop thinking about RE2 now.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the whole shipped vs sales....so it sold 3 mil already or capcom said , hey it might sell 3 mil first days.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved. Wasn't for me, but I tried it out and really appreciated it.

It was a fantastic game with barely any issues at launch (*cough Anthem * cough), and deserves more than any of the broken games constantly being released.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
LvksHuJ.gif

and also it's what she deserves dot gif

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom has been on fire lately. Monster Hunter World, Mega Man, and now Resident Evil 2 remake. Welcome back Capcom we need you.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wow beating out RE7. Actually didn't expect that. Looks great too.
RE7 was a new take on the series while RE2 is a fan favorite in the most popular RE style.
PS4/XBO install base grew quite a bit since RE7 - so that probably helps at well.

Not downplaying its success - but we kinda expected it to have a strong(er) launch.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Didn't expect it to beat out RE7. Probably helped though that it wasn't following up the controversial RE6.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming no one is reading the press release (of course no one on era reads past the title), RE7 is now at 6 million units.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Capcom said if there is enough interest RE3 will get made. Well Capcom, there is your green light to go.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Deserves every bit of the money they get for this. It's a great game.

Thinking of getting the collectors edition this weekend just cause it lived up to my expectations.

Oct 28, 2017
Well hopefully it means this for RE3Make,

cfee55d95d038a9b473c160a004722b7-320-80.jpg

Go Capcom. My favorite third party developer. Loving games so much right now because of them. Now Let's make a new Maximo Capcom!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, higher than RE7 as well.

Resident Evil 3 is a guarantee.

6M for RE7 is great. That's up from the last reported 5.7M

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Things like this make me have faith in the gaming community. That a classic from 20 years ago can be well known enough and hyped among fans to get such a turnout is great.

Also appreciate the message it sends, that truly great single player games are still appreciated and can be super successful in an era where so many publishers just want to create the next popular game-as-a-service online multiplayer game with microtransactions. Love it.