• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
VG Tech have a video up for the release version of RE2make. Doesn't look like the game has a 4K/30 FPS mode afterall, all versions run with unlocked frame rate which bodes well for the mid-gen's but not so much for base PS4 and especially base XBO.

Looks like the visual makeup is more or less the exact same as the recent demo. XBX has a softer but less-aliased image, PS4 Pro has a sharper but noisier image.

Review Codes were supplied by Capcom. Resident Evil 2 Remake frame rate test comparing the performance on Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe

The versions tested were 1.01 on Playstation 4 systems and 1.0.1.1 on Xbox One systems. PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X render at a resolution of 2880x1620, and the PS4 Pro downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p. Xbox One renders at a resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X seem to be using Checkerboard Rendering to reach their stated resolutions.

The Xbox One X has reduced aliasing compared to the PS4 Pro (1:23). The game does appear to be softer on the Xbox One X than the PS4 Pro (2:45).

Performance Stats:

1h6kv8.jpg

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, no 4K mode is a bummer, and it looks like the 1X version has the softness of the demo. :\

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So the blurry Xbox One X made it into the final build, disappointing. Would have preferred to see a dynamic resolution here.

It's really great to see them sending VGTech review codes to do technical analysis pre launch. Wish all publishers did this so I would know at launch what a game is like.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I just need confirmation on how is HDR and maybe what visual setting PS4 pro has compared to PC.

Also it seems Demo build is final build.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I just need confirmation on how is HDR and maybe what visual setting PS4 pro has compared to PC.

Also it seems Demo build is final build.

VGTech doesn't do commentary over their videos so no word on that. I'm betting NXGamer and Digital Foundry videos will be shortly forthcoming as well.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those performances looks pretty damn nice on both the One X and the Pro! Very little difference between both! The real surprise to me is how adequately the base PS4 runs.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wish they let us cap the frame rate, I'll take 30FPS over a rollercoaster

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the 4k/30 thing didn't come to fruition. Will still pick it up because I need me some Resident Evil in my life!

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No 4K at all? Very interesting, guess I'm going with the PS4 Pro version even though I have an X. I prefer the sharper version and the controller despite some frame drops.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There are some parts where X shows a clear framerate advantage over the Pro, eg at 2:45 and 4:45 where we're looking at a 8-10 FPS difference. But overall they're quite similar.

I was hoping they toned down the anti-aliasing on the X version for the final release. Comparing the demos it had a far less noisy image than the Pro, but it does result in some detail loss and has a softer look. I'll still go for the X version on this one though as I hate aliasing and I'll enjoy the better framerate, and I won't have to listen to the jet engine.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Were the odd looking reflections sorted out? I also preferred the sharper look and the ability to turn off HDR in the demo for the PS4 Pro version. But one thing I did note between playing both the X and Pro demo was that the reflections do look much better on the X.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
There are some parts where X shows a clear framerate advantage over the Pro, eg at 2:45 and 4:45 where we're looking at a 8-10 FPS difference. But overall they're quite similar.

I was hoping they toned down the anti-aliasing on the X version for the final release. Comparing the demos it had a far less noisy image than the Pro, but it does result in some detail loss.

There are some parts in the real-time scenes where it's the opposite.

Seems like the avg frame rate is higher in game play on XBX and higher in real-time cinematics on Pro.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Were the odd looking reflections sorted out? I also preferred the sharper look and the ability to turn off HDR in the demo for the PS4 Pro version. But one thing I did note between playing both the X and Pro demo was that the reflections do look much better on the X.

No, going by the video the reflections look kinda similar (worse on Pro than XBX). I think the demo *was* a chunk from the final code afterall.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This tells me I gotta wait 6 months to buy the game. It seems wobbly from a tech standpoint, like RE6 was at the time.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This tells me I gotta wait 6 months to buy the game. It seems wobbly from a tech standpoint, like RE6 was at the time.

I don't know how you're getting a RE6 vibe from it. Neither console RE6 released on was able to maintain a 30, here we have at least the mid-gen consoles doing a pretty good job with averages of 59 FPS. The base consoles, especially base XBO is much worse but I doubt any patches will improve upon that.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game indeed support Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One S/X? Someone mentioned that in another thread and it was the first I've heard of it.

So, Pro and X run at the same resolution? Odd, considering the performance difference.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wait for when they fix the X version if i am honest.

If you're talking about the deliberately softer image, I wouldn't hold my breath. The visual make up was the exact same for RE7's Pro and XBX patches as well and they didn't make any changes to it in the many months the XBX patch for that game has been out.

This is probably just how they have their engine configurations tuned. Won't be surprised if DMCV is the same way.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The demo on base PS4 ran fine for me and looked great
I played the demo on an OG Xbox One and it was fine as well. This isn't a game that requires the most frames or even the sharpest detail. The rough, blurrier look kind of works to the game's advantage conveying mood/atmosphere.

That being said, will probably just go with PS4 (Pro).

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im very glad i upgraded to an X from an OG xbox.

I had buyers remorse thinking it wasnt justified but the more games come out the happier i am :)

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
If you're talking about the deliberately softer image, I wouldn't hold my breath. The visual make up was the exact same for RE7's Pro and XBX patches as well and they didn't make any changes to it in the many months the XBX patch for that game has been out.

This is probably just how they have their engine configurations tuned. Won't be surprised if DMCV is the same way.

Yeah, this really sucks. A more powerful console running at the same resolution but with arguably worse image quality. Jaggies, suck, don't get me wrong, but jaggies appear on some surfaces whereas image blurring is everywhere all the time.

Time to work out a way to block more noise from my Pro from hitting my ears, lol.

Apr 19, 2018
I don't relish the thought of playing the game on base consoles with the unlocked framerate. I found aiming to be especially difficult on the PS4 base demo due to the erratic fps.

Options for a locked 30fps or, like Alex suggested in DF's demo tech analysis, a 900p resolution setup to better hit 60fps, might have been ideal solutions.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously do not understand why there is not an option to lock the game at 30FPS especially on base consoles.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Uff no Changes?
Now I'm torn.
Had X1X version pre ordered I'm hopes of better performance and etc. (Mainly in hopes of the odd reflections/tesselation being resolved), but if there isnt much of a significant difference, may go with Pro for trophies and controller.

Oct 26, 2017
The demo wasn't even near 4K,but 7 was? What a damn shame. I was fine with the idea of 30fps and a much higher resolution.

So X is coping with the somewhat soft look... sigh. Anything about the broken contrast?

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Yeah this is a big fuck you from capcom, as always not listening to a single thing.

My only hope is the day one patch, which isn't out yet, will address some things.

But as an X owner, no 4k mode and that god awful AA solution... It's just wrong. I mean, the X and the Pro are the EXACT same resolution. Why? Pure horseshit.

I'm so pissed off right now... Ugh... Not a single lesson learned from Monster Hunter it seems... I mean the number of people telling them the HDR was broken and the C had too soft an image, and nothing...? Ugh...

Also, very sad for base console owners. The SSR is totally broken on PS4, and both base consoles NEED a 30fps cap. This is beyond unacceptable, and a major studio shouldn't be making these mistakes.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is a big fuck you from capcom, as always not listening to a single thing.

My only hope is the day one patch, which isn't out yet, will address some things.

But as an X owner, no 4k mode and that god awful AA solution... It's just wrong. I mean, the X and the Pro are the EXACT same resolution. Why? Pure horseshit.

I'm so pissed off right now... Ugh... Not a single lesson learned from Monster Hunter it seems... I mean the number of people telling them the HDR was broken and the C had too soft an image, and nothing...? Ugh...

Oh wow, I had actually forgotten that the resolution was the exact same.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the performance is solid on the mid-gen refresh consoles at least. The gamma issue on the Xbox version seems to be corrected as well. It's unfortunate that they don't allow users to toggle the AA options. From my time with the PC version, it appears they are using the TAA+FXAA option on the 1X while using the TAA option alone in the Pro version. While both implementations have benefits, I would prefer to have FXAA turned off.

I wait for when they fix the X version if i am honest.

It's unlikely to change unfortunately. When seen alone, it still looks great. I played through large parts of RE7 on the 1X and thought it looked great. No reason the same won't be true for RE2.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
What broken contrast?

Demo looked great in HDR on my OLED on both Pro and X.

Demo looks amazing on the hall. Then you get into the first blacked out coridor and it's just awful on HDR mode. Blacks are now grey/blue/green, and contrast has gone. And I have a professionally set up OLED, too.

Trouble with HDR is not everybody knows what to look for, and it's also very subjective to the individual. Like Fallout 76, RDR2 and others, the HDR here is awful. Turn it off.

Oct 26, 2017
What broken contrast?

Demo looked great in HDR on my OLED on both Pro and X.

In the demo when you go under the shutter, the camera rotates and the pitch blackness become ugly grey. You must see that as well. I've tried several televisions, not an OLED but a Sony 930e, and Samsung Q9FN and also a small HP monitor. All the same story. Both with HDR and SDR.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Those performances looks pretty damn nice on both the One X and the Pro! Very little difference between both! The real surprise to me is how adequately the base PS4 runs.
Tell me about it! This new RE engine is a beast.

It produces some amazing looking visuals at a great frame rate

Oct 26, 2017
Demo looks amazing on the hall. Then you get into the first blacked out coridor and it's just awful on HDR mode. Blacks are now grey/blue/green, and contrast has gone. And I have a professionally set up OLED, too.

Trouble with HDR is not everybody knows what to look for, and it's also very subjective to the individual. Like Fallout 76, RDR2 and others, the HDR here is awful. Turn it off.

Even with SDR the darkness still doesn't become black though. Better than HDR yes, but still grey.