• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think the most alluring aspect of 1.5 is how substantial the factory and lab areas were. In 2 the sewers are just long enough to view a few cutscenes, and the lab is no different. There's hardly any exploration to be had. The factory doesn't even exist.

In 1.5, it seems like the R.P.D., factory, and lab were all roughly equal in length.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1.5 looked too sterile, but it did have interesting mechanics such as bleeding and zombies came out of manholes etc. Certain NPC had bigger roles in 1.5, such as Marvin.

Capcom didn't kill 1.5 for kicks, what we eventually got was probably better. But putting parts of 1.5 in the Remake is absolutely awesome. I can't wait to use the Elza Walker skin for Claire.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
No joke, is this anyone elses most anticipated game of 2019? I want this more than Last of Us II, Metroid Prime 4, or anything else in 2019.

And this is just a remake of all things, lol.

Second - DMC5 takes top spot for me. KH3 third.

All in the first 3 months. Incredible. I'm gonna take so much time off work for these.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if they add a bunch of costumes(beyond canon costumes like CV and Rev2 Claire, RE4 and RE6 Leon & Ada) I kinda wish they's keep them "fitting" before going with extreme costumes.
Like Claire unlocking Chris' S.T.A.R.S. gear or getting RPD riot/swat uniform, Umbrella gear, etc.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
1.5 seemed to approach the idea of a sequel within the city from a fresh perspective. They left the mansion behind, and approached all sorts of new ideas. It was cold and industrial, a city awash with the dead, slowly rising as you made your way through it. Some may call it "sterile," but really, that's just the result of a lack of experience in rendering the backgrounds more than anything. 2 took 1.5, brought it back to the mansion, and streamlined the experience so it could be released in 1998. And more importantly, it did it with a team that had the experience of nearly two full games under their belt. It could look better than 1.5 ever would.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
1.5 seemed to approach the idea of a sequel within the city from a fresh perspective. They left the mansion behind, and approached all sorts of new ideas. It was cold and industrial, a city awash with the dead, slowly rising as you made your way through it. Some may call it "sterile," but really, that's just the result of a lack of experience in rendering the backgrounds more than anything. 2 took 1.5, brought it back to the mansion, and streamlined the experience so it could be released in 1998. And more importantly, it did it with a team that had the experience of nearly two full games under their belt. It could look better than 1.5 ever would.
That's my thoughts, the actual 1.5 is unfortunately kinda' dull, the game deaign was not yo to snuff to the concepts and I can 100% see why they scrapped it. But there were good and interesting ideas in there, I'm currently hoping the Man-Spider ends up in the game as it has potential.

But also interested in completely new ideas for the remake. Right now the confirmed new locations are the gas station pitstop store for Leon's campaign, and a mysterious church. I have a guess how tje church may play into tje game, but it'll be interesting to see tje entirely new, returning, and 1.5 content and how they come together all the same.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
for the love of god no monkey enemies. Also don't bring back the grenades lol
I'm not a very big fan of monkey enemies generally either, and wasn't of the Gorillas in 1.5 myself (plus I HATED the Eliminators in Zero), but to be honest I kinda' want the Gorillas in REmake 2. Having this bulking fleshy meat Gorilla that's twice your height and width and packs a powerful strike (plus can swing from the ceiling and knock cars around if like 1.5) could actually be terrifying in a dark garage with the right sound design and execution.

But I won't be too miffed if they don't make the cut either. I am rooting for Man-Spider, though.

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, is this anyone elses most anticipated game of 2019? I want this more than Last of Us II, Metroid Prime 4, or anything else in 2019.

Yup,
More hype for this than LoU2 and Days Gone combined.

DMCV and KH3 were hype as well but have the potential to go very wrong, while from what we see it seems like it would be hard for RE2 to fall flat.

Ceravic

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

So far it's my number 1 game of 2019. I got to play the demo at E3 and it's just lovely. I was so off Resident Evil until 7 brought me back and now 2 has brought it back to being a top franchise.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Outbreak File 2 taught us that the series just needs more lionesses. Those were some fucking brutal enemies.

I would have been ok with apes had they been limited to the R.P.D. garage and weren't, you know, the lickers of the game .

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
From what I remember in RE2, there were no hunters if I'm correct? Do you think perhaps they'll show up again here (or will they be redundant because of the lickers)?

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017

If I could pick one upcoming game to immediately play tomorrow this would be it.
I've decided now is the time for me to finally play Resident Evil 0. I need to scratch the itch.

Any tips lads? (Sorry for being a bit off-topic)
Use the main hall, you'll know what I'm talking about, to drop off items as a makeshift storage.

Atrarock

Oct 27, 2017
People being miffed at the ambient tracks for the save room and main hall and wanting swap tracks are forgetting that there were still some tracks that were the opposite of "having presence" and just getting in your face...aka some boss music and more.

One of the tracks I am absolutely looking forward to hearing remixed the most is "The second malformation of G" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Xetp4jVPU

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still really excited for this game; it's easily my most anticipated game of next year. But I'm super bummed out it won't be getting the REmake treatment. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but this isn't the remake I dreamed of getting :(

I wonder if they're going to include anything from RE3, I swear I saw the church/graveyard in the trailer.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really excited for this game; it's easily my most anticipated game of next year. But I'm super bummed out it won't be getting the REmake treatment. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but this isn't the remake I dreamed of getting :(

I wonder if they're going to include anything from RE3, I swear I saw the church/graveyard in the trailer.
There is a church and graveyard in the REmake 2 trailer, but the location doesn't exist in RE3. There is a graveyard in RE3 in the park though, but it's not next to a church.

Oct 28, 2017
There is a church and graveyard in the REmake 2 trailer, but the location doesn't exist in RE3. There is a graveyard in RE3 in the park though, but it's not next to a church.

I guess it's a new location then. If they expand on anything I hope it's the streets. I don't want them to veer off too differently, but I wouldn't say no to a few detours to the RPD. Speaking of which, I wonder if the front gate will be unlocked?

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they keep the malformation of G tracks in the game. Heck, I hope you still get to see Birkin go through his different stages of transformation. And for the love of god don't mess around with his design too much, don't do something stupid like giving him a hat.

Jan 11, 2018
Can you imagine if Elza Walker was an actual character in the remake?

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that earlier. I wonder how they'd implement her though. People wouldn't want her to upstage Claire, but at the same time fans wouldn't want her to be killed off either. Maybe she could be Claire's room mate / friend, with a mutual interest in bikes? And she would have left town a week earlier or something for one reason or another so we'd know she made it out safely.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that earlier. I wonder how they'd implement her though.

I'd imagine if she ever made an appearance outside of Claire's cameo DLC costume it'd just be as a zombie to be honest. People like her but she has no attachment to your average fan, she wasn't fully fleshed in our eyes as we didn't see her journey.

Jan 11, 2018
I'd imagine if she ever made an appearance outside of Claire's cameo DLC costume it'd just be as a zombie to be honest. People like her but she has no attachment to your average fan, she wasn't fully fleshed in our eyes as we didn't see her journey.

I'd rather have her be Claire's friend and room mate, which could also explain why she's got access to her clothes. Having her appear as a zombie would be awful.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd rather have her be Claire's friend and room mate, which could also explain why she's got access to her clothes. Having her appear as a zombie would be awful.

Oh I don't disagree with you, putting her in the canon with a nice meaningful side role would be awesome but I don't personally think Capcom would go any further with her appearance, I'd love to be wrong.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
In RE2, Iron's has a torture dungeon you visit in Claire's campaign you access by elevator from Iron's office that's only a single room. Betting this may have been expanded into a full location and that's what's beneath the RPD Main Hall Statue.

It doesn't make sense to me that his bizarre sadist dungeon would be accessed through a giant moving statue in the main hall, where he'd be bound to get seen or heard using it at some point. It seems more like an emergency escape route than something he'd regularly use.

It feels weird to have 1.5 things inserted back into the RE canon, but I'm not against it.

It's a free way to authentically pad out the content. I think it's interesting to have this complete version of RE2 that incorporates all of the original ideas. That stuff wasn't scrapped because it was bad necessarily, they needed to rebuild from scratch and it all had to go. Putting it back in is a great jumping off point for expanding the game.

I think the Main Hall Theme has been absolutely destroyed in REmake 2. The instrumentalization has been neutered for a more stupid atmospheric approach, the original had presence, here's is diluted on strings and bad frequency.

It might sound fine if you weren't familiar with the original game, but knowing the power that track had there's just no way the remix does it justice. It's like hearing a ringtone of a great piece of classical music. I'd like to believe that the sound is still in progress and the final release will be better, but we've gotten so many suggestions that the game is nearly complete... I think they just decided music doesn't work with the OST approach.

I still haven't found a clip that has the save room theme, but it's pretty clear the first and second floor RPD themes are just gone entirely.

People being miffed at the ambient tracks for the save room and main hall and wanting swap tracks are forgetting that there were still some tracks that were the opposite of "having presence" and just getting in your face...aka some boss music and more.

I can't for the life of me think of any tracks that were bad. There are so many standouts and pretty all of the environment themes were perfectly done... the marshalling yard is one of the most memorable parts of the entire game due to the OST. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut that track too, or shoved it way into the background like the hall theme.

Besides, we're specifically talking about the loss of tracks that were really iconic and beloved. I can't think of anything more RE2 than the first floor theme with the creaks built right in:

The remake has nuked that atmosphere from orbit and replaced it with forgettable noise. I don't think the atmosphere has turned out anywhere near as well as a lot of people are claiming. I can replay RE2 anytime and still be really impressed by the OST and art (blotchy as it is) even if I know the game too well for the scares to work... I imagine replaying this game will get really boring once you've gotten used to all the jump scares and dark flashlight halls.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Alright fellas let's do a round-up

LEON
  • Leon received a facelift, is assuredly based off the likeness of a real actor like RE7 and DMC5
  • His form with the handgun has been upgraded to a "James Bond" form where he holds the gun next to his head instead of just flailing around with like in the original, but still doesn't have the proper handling of RE6, mostly due to its inexperience
  • Leon's background is now different. He used to be late for work because he broke with his girlfriend and got hammered, but this time this part is gone and is focusing on Leon being specifically called to stay away (caller unknown).
  • His starting story seems to begin in a gas station where he meets Claire, no additional detail but the gas station was the place where the truck driver got bitten in the original. It probably is also the same area of the reveal with the officer being chomped in the neck.
  • His outfit has been upgraded into something more logical and fitting of a cop, still isn't explained how he got some kind of special force outfit considering he is only supposed to be a simple cop
  • He starts the game with a jacket instead of his outfit, it is theorized that he actually gets his outfit inside the RPD in the cutscene with Marvin. The demo didn't swap the models in order to not reveal his jacket
Uniform:

Jacket:

sdfgdfgfgdfje7.png

• Leon runs slower than in the original game. Movement speed seems to have been overall reduced
  • Leon's caution and danger state are in. He does run even slower in danger mode, his straight pose also gets worse as his health changes into worse states.
  • Leon Kennedy seems to receive persistent changes to its 3D model. When Leon is bitten, it remains bitten through cutcenes

• He also has a wet state to 3D models that persists through cutscenes

• Getting bitten locks you into an animation you cannot get out from unless you have a defensive item like in REmake
  • Leon can get into a bitten animation with at least two zombies, possibly dealing extra damage

CLAIRE

• Not much is known, her look is also based on the likeness of an actress
  • She seems to meet both Mr.X and Birkin, making it look like her story might follow a similar pattern to Claire B
  • Her outfit has been altered and will not sport her previous biker look with jean shorts. She also has a necklace, though I don't know if it has any meaning or not.

Resident-Evil-2-remake-claire.png

MARVIN & OTHER NPCs

• Marvin's role is greatly expanded, closer to its 1.5 original appearance. He doesn't turn into a zombie soon after its meeting with Leon, and helps Leon to find an escape from the RPD. He also gives his knife.
  • Marvin could potentially become the victim of a licker, as this shot indicates he might be afraid of something.
  • The shot of the bloodied statue in the trailer could mean that it is Marvin's blood

• Elliot, a police officer only previously mentioned in files is now alive in the remake before being cut down by a zombie. No news on additional cops being still alive.
  • Sherry, Annette, Birkin and Ada are confirmed to be in. No confirmation on Chief Irons though his voice can be heard in the trailer. Ben the journalist is not confirmed.

GAME GENERAL STUFF

• Herbs are now turned into powder instead of healing vials like RE7. Animation of you rolling a fatty is not shown, it is consumed through the menu

• UI is identical to RE7
  • Item box and typewriters are in. Ink Ribbons are apparently incorporated into higher difficulties
  • Hunk and Tofu are in
  • Gunpowders from RE7 returns in RE2 Remake, though you can only craft different types of bullets instead of "enhanced bullets", not unlike RE3
  • Handgun magazine extensions are in the game.
  • Knife is a defensive item that can be used to avoid a bite, you have to recover the knife from the body of the zombie afterwards or is it lost. No knowledge of whether or not you can find other knives around.
  • Knife has a durability, you can only use it three times as a defensive item before breaking. Supposedly slashing a zombie with a knife also reduces its durability, albeit much slower
  • Expect expanded lore through files.
  • Claire and Leon's campaign are separate and unique, the zapping system is also gone.
  • According to DuskGolem, the game is on a 80% new, 20% old philosophy as opposed to REmake 1 being on a 70% new, 30% old philosophy

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
ENEMIES

They seem to take roughly the same amount of bullets to die as the original, between 5 and 10 bullets. The philosophy of this game seems a bit different from other Resident Evil as headshots doesn't seem to be as effective. Zombies can now lose limbs, and it is more cost-effective to take out of their limbs and render them inoperable rather than killing them as they can deplete your ammo really fast.

• According to DuskGolem, a zombie has three layers of skin, bones and muscles to tear through. Shooting them might expose any of these three layers and can even create holes that you can see through. Int he picture below, what seems to the thorax of the zombie can be seen, and the zombie still remains alive.

• Zombies doesn't leave a puddle of blood when they die. They also often fake out their deaths at various stages of their health. They can come back immediately after or wait until you come back to the area.
  • Zombies corpses seems to be persistent for the demo, since all of them could potentially come back
  • Zombies can survive shotgun shots to the head
Shotgun shot where the head explodes:

Shotgun shot where the zombie doesn't die despite half their head blown off:

• Licker is in, its appearance has shifted from 1F to 3F. The licker can't be fought in the demo. It retains its lack of vision, meaning you can walk past them according to a file.

• It is theorized that the first confrontation with a licker might appear outside the STARS office corridor according to promotional material
  • The Giant Alligator is reported to make its way in according to DuskGolem
  • There is no information on whether or not new enemies will appear, but it is likely it could happen

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Raccoon Police Department

• The RPD has seen a huge facelift, mostly in order to feel more "logical" architecturally.
DfdU5YMXUAA0JDV.jpg

DfdU5x_X0AAovl2.jpg

First floor:

Front Hall:

• The second floor is accessible immediately now, no shortcut with the emergency ladder
  • The stained glass is gone
  • The RPD Hall is actually supported by natural lights/actual windows rather than feeling mostly locked down
  • The front desk is in front of the statue instead of behind
  • The statue seems to give way to a secret passageway instead of only giving off a medallion.
  • The access to the second floor means that doors like the library room are now locked with the spade key, since it was only meant to be accessed later in the game through the west wing
The Front Hall music is in in a more subdued, atmospheric version

Remake 2 map of First floor:
sedgdfga5kdc.png

RE2 Original map

resident_evil_2_map_rpd_1f_a.png

In this map of the first floor, every blue lines indicates a barrier, meaning the path is blocked.

No blue card key is needed in order to unlock the doors that leads to both wings. Only the east wing is accessible immediately by activating the shutter gate.

East wing:
  • Areas like the Press Room are immediately accessible instead of going the long way around, it also doesn't need a club key. But this time, the faucet puzzle that gives the wheelcog is gone.
  • The Watchman's Room is accessible immediately and is where you meet Elliot, safe to say the magnum won't be there this time, as you had to use a club key to get there later in the game
  • The Eastern Office is locked in the demo with the use of chains.
  • The stairs to 2F (dubbed Emergency Exit) are locked and inaccessible because of a locked door.
  • The path leading to the interrogation rooms (one now renamed observation room) is blocked by a barrier, but this time it seems that they are accessible through either the second or third floor staircase.
  • A bathroom has been added.
  • A Break Room has been added, seemingly blocked by the shutter gate where Elliot died in the Watchman's room. Another room seems to exist above the Boiler Room, though seemingly unnamed

West wing:
  • The Reception Room is the same
  • The Records Room is inaccessible, locked behind a club key instead of a spade key
  • The Northwest Corridor that leads to the 2F staircase is blocked by a barrier, Leon has to go through the Operations Room, and climb through a window that leads to the staircase room.
  • The Confiscation Room is now the Safety Deposit Room, a more high-tech room where lockers are electronically locked. The shotgun can be found here.
  • The Save Room is the Darkroom, mostly unchanged.
  • Information Office is now the West Office, mostly unchanged, though you apparently can't access it from the front hall anymore (it was locked by Marvin in the original).
There are more changes in the East Wing than the West wing, where a chunk of the map is still inaccessible in the demo.

The Save Room theme is still a thing

This is the extent of what you can do in the demo in the first floor. Green line is what you have to do first, Yellow line is what you have to do in second. Blue lines are optional rooms.

sqdfqsfddbpb1b.png

Second Floor

fhgfhjghjhg2ajuc.png

resident_evil_2_map_rpd_2f_b_leon.png

The second floor is harder to discern and would need far more work to recreate, as it is hidden by the third floor map.

West wing :

Looking at the in-game map, you actually start at the top (not shown), leading to rooms that are mostly new. The catch is, you access the library through the third floor and not the second, and you aren't allowed access to the STARS Office. The door from the Lounge is locked, the lounge itself is new puzzle room that overlooks the Reception Room of 1F.

East wing :

An area that is completely locked off in the demo. The map gives a glimpse of a similar layout as the original. Chief Irons Room can be briefly seen on the top right.

Third floor

I combined what we had of the in-game map of the third floor, with the map that the capcom stream got.

qqsdfsdfr7lud.png

resident_evil_2_map_rpd_3f_4f.png

This is a completely new map that has been greatly extended, the east wing could potentially be a cog room, but it might also be something completely new. No information on whether or not the map indicates you can go through the east wing of 3F through the main hall in the same way you could for 2F in the original.

That's all I have so far

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With everything being so photo-realistic I'm disappointed they kept the idea of the character getting actually bitten in gameplay but ignored story wise.

Jan 12, 2018
A few things:

-Regarding Claire's necklace, it appears to be of a feather, which may be a reference to the angel wings on the design on the back of her vest in the original. I wonder if this means her jacket in the remake will lack this design? I cannot imagine why, though.

-You can find other knives in the game. There is at least one other in the demo in the locker room. You can see it through the window on one of the locked lockers.

-While Ben may not have been confirmed yet, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Ben is the one in the Sony conference trailer who says "It's coming! It's coming back!"

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps there are other melee weapons in the game besides the knife? Seeing Leon with a fireaxe hacking off heads left and right would be pretty cool.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
When this comes out, there needs to be a PSX throwback variant on PS4 that comes in a jewel case, kinda like they did with Rise of the Tomb Raider.