• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Resident Evil 2 Remake project kicked off two years by now, from what we've heard, around august 2015. It's been a long and quiet wait, with almost non-existent response from Capcom while the R&D Division 1 is working hard to finish it. Right now all we have is basically, speculation.

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi a.k.a. "H" is one of the 2/3 directors already revealed, leading the development team alongside Yasuhiro Anpo and someone that according to them, we'll hear more about "soon".

5XIXn.jpg

Hirabayashi worked recently on the HD Remaster of Rebirth, the Resitent Evil 1 Remake made for GameCube. On a side note, his first job on Capcom was the REmake itself. He was a "green newbie" at the time, working with simpler things like creating the model for a graveyard zombie and Forest Speyer. But since then he was part of big games like RE5 and RE6.

Yoshiaki refers at his last work as "disassembling a complex wristwatch, polishing and cleaning up each individual piece, and painstakingly putting it all back together", learning things like how the team programmed it and designed the characters and assets. It was very inspiring to him, showing how great of a job they did, which led him to believe they succeeded in capturing the original's feeling while making it better, masterfully.

He also shows an appreciation to the new team's effort to maintain the original's pace, saying that removing just one door animation would change it for the worst. He thought it was better to leave how it was on the first place, because the content was already great.

3d3LA.png

Now Anpo actually started working with the series on Resident Evil 1 as a programmer, and that led him to repeat the same job on subsequent games like the legendary 1.5, RE2 and many more. Recently he worked as a director on RE5 (that was his first experience with H) and Revelations 2.

Anpo said that this project is a chance to fix some things, with his new experience helping to make parts better and accomplish a definitive result.

xrfpI.png

Resident Evil 2 Remake is my most anticipated piece of entertainment right now, like for many of you. Recently i played RE2 for the first time and had a fresh view of an almost, 20 years old game. I think it's amazing, and it's by far one of my favorites titles of the entire franchise.

For someone that started to know RE with Resident Evil 4 and after all this time went back to play the originals, this says a lot. Despite fighting a little bit with the combat (TANK style), i thought that the ambience, soundtrack (man this soundtrack), enemies, characters and the atention to detail were just incredible. For being completely honest to everyone here, it's a impeccable game even for today's standards, making it difficult to think about this remake without being worried.

So, there is some things i wish for this Remake, considering everything that the two directors said and my personal experience with RE2...

First of all, and this is a hard one, the fixed camera angles would make this a much more appreciated title for me. I don't think it's dated and needs to be changed. Playing the original on 2016 and HD Remaster on the same year, made me value the survival horror format much more than ever before.

This perspective allows the game to work with a more detailed environment, oppressive ambience and scenarios, leaving the developers with a bigger control to scare the players based on their expectations while toying with the perspective. Some parts of the game work so well because of it, like the Licker walking on the window to later appear on the ceiling, the hands trying to grab you on the corridor and the glass jumpscare inside the interrogation room.

d1jFW.gif

qvsYX.gif

And this leaves me with another, and maybe the most important thing to me: the soundtrack.

Resident Evil 2 has my favorite soundtrack of the franchise, so it souldn't be changed or have tracks replaced for new versions. If they did a remasterization type of job with them (something akin to REmake), it would be great. Just do that and if it's possible add more. Just knowing that they'll treat it with the same care, would make me incredibly happy.

But finally, i think one of the parts they will change, but they shouldn't, it's the gore. RE2 is one of the goriest titles from the series, with blood everywhere, zombies eating you while you die and effects like destroying parts of enemies with the shotgun.

I won't be sad or mad if they change it for a more sensitive audience in any way, because i completely understand that a more realistic version (possibly with the graphical fidelity of the RE Engine) could make this worse to tolerate for some people. But it makes Resident Evil 2 feel unique on this regard and adds tension/a unique type of horror for the title.

JDFm9.jpg

Well, that was a long post. There's a lot to talk about this project, and while we don't get any official information from Capcom, all we have left to do is speculate and express or own opinions about what REmake 2 should be.

I've made this thread before on Biohaze (some RE fans from here should know about the site), but i think it's time to reach more people and inform them about the little we know and could expect based on what the developers said. If you have any doubts, i highly recommend to watch this short interview from the franchise 20 years anniversary video, talking directly with the creative minds behind this project:

So, what's your wishlist for the RE2 Remake? What are the things they should add, maintain, change or replace with this new version?

Last edited:

Levito

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want it to actually play like Resident Evil 2 did. (No over the shoulder or first person camera)

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much agree with all your points OP. Fixed cameras aren't dated otherwise movies wouldn't be a thing. I pretty much want RE2 1:1 like how REmake is to RE1. Fixed cameras, 3D tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds (which allows higher detail models) and new content to keep returning fans happy. If this game goes all out dudebro I ain't buying it.

OP
OP
Blackbird

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
whats the chances this game will be at Paris Game Week?

Pretty slim. Believe me, all i would want to say right now is that they'll blow us all away with a big surprise this year, but an announcement is probably coming next year. If you're extremely optmistic, maybe PSX will show something, but i wouldn't expect anything from that event.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I would prefer the fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds like REmake, but I would give it a chance if they went a different direction. I REALLY don't want them to do first-person, though.

Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2, tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera perspective.

I'll not accept anything else (or support it)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy we are getting it so my only bonus wish would be the battle mode is back and Chris Redfield is still an option.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Fixed camera angles.
- Tank controls.
- Be more like RE3 and explore a bit more of Raccoon outdoors.
- Akuma mode.
- RE4 Leon w/ jacket as unlockable costume.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think it has to keep the asthetics of REmake, but add some content too. The same way they did with REmake: new areas, tweeted story that surprise those who already played and maybe tie loose ends/areas for a potential REmake 3 since some places intersect. I'd also like it if it was a tad more realistic in terms of puzzles. I mean hiding keys in a statue sells it, but there's a chance to maybe make something better. Lastly, populate the RCPD. It looked huge, so either make it smaller or fill it with stuff, I mean it was a museum turned police station after all. I'm looking forward to a teaser, I don't need trailer; just a teaser. Oh, and tank controls.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said for it to be as close to the REmake style as possible. I also would be happy to just hear that the game is still alive and hasn't been discarded.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
no, the original costumes are too ugly even for 1998 standards.
I like the new designs way better.

But this is one area of the REmake that should remain faithful is the character design. The first design is better because it creates a better contrast to the scenery and the artstyle. While the all pink look is a little "anime-y" I think the contrast of the pink top and blue jean shorts looks weird and foreign despite being more realistic. I know this kind of sounds silly. Two main color characters stand out and contrast more against the backrounds. Games do this a lot. Leon is all blue and he sticks out. Or like in older games like Castlevania how simon is orange and yellow to contrast the duller colors of the backround. Or recent example like Dante in Devil May Cry or Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney ect.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preferably an actual remake of Resident Evil 2, meaning something that resembles in some way the game that originally came out and not just a re skinning of another game in the series with an re2 coat paint.

Other wise im not really interested in the project that much.

One thing I will say is that the people who want them to design three different games just to make everyone happy are extremely naive at best or outright bullshitting at worst.

Just look at what capcom did with dead rising 3 if you want an example of how daft the design for everyone method is and an example of how it actually plays out in real life.

If they want to turn the game into revelations 3 then do that. If they want to make it like re7 then do that. If they want to actually remake re2 then do that. Design by committee garbage just results in mediocre games that service no one in the pointless endeavor to make sure everything you can make everything work three different ways instead of taking advantage of key elements a focused design effort would bring.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
REmake style hopefully, the redone rooms in the HD remaster seemed to indicate they were testing the waters. I won't mind RE4 or RE7 style either but the level design will have to be redesigned around it.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
Its going to be over the shoulder, fixed camera angles need to go away like powdered wigs.