• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I want everything from the original game but with updated graphics and new modes. I want nothing removed from the original game.
I want it if it plays well. Not all remakes are just graphical updates. I don't want a game that plays like old RE if that's what you're asking.
So then you don't Resident Evil 2?

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
I want everything from the original game but with updated graphics and new modes. I want nothing removed from the original game.

So then you don't Resident Evil 2?
Its a remake not a remaster, expecting the game to not have many changes your setting yourself for disappointment.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Its a remake not a remaster, expecting the game to not have many changes your setting yourself for disappointment.
And if you change too much then you're alienating your fanbase.

The biggest changes in REmake were the graphics and adding some new content, they didn't change the gameplay.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Why not go play another game then? They dont all have to be what you want.
Because there are no other games like RE4 and 5. This topic was asking what we want from the remake, that's my answer. If they make it like REmake then I simply wont get it. I don't think my desire is crazy since it's just taking elements from other games in the series.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a remake not a remaster, expecting the former your setting yourself for disappointment.
Remaster isn't a word actual human beings use. It's marketing lingo to pretty up the word port to make people feel better about the fact they're buying the same exact game again.

Remaking every single asset from the ground up, remaking the levels themselves to add more areas here and there, remaking the combat system to be more fluid and redesigning encounters and adding mechanics to take advantage of the changes is not a damned port, and it's why REmake is universally referred to as such.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017

The biggest changes in REmake were the graphics and adding some new content, they didn't change the gameplay.
There is prolly more action RE fans than classic though, safest bet would be go action. I would prefer they experiment with the formula more.

Th3rd

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they keep all the extra mode from the original (The 4th/Tofu Survivor, Extreme Battle)

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is prolly more action RE fans than classic though, safest bet would be go action. I would prefer they experiment with the formula more.
Then go lobby capcom for what you want out of RE8 and quit complaining about a game by definition not being what you want for not being what you want. Go play tew or last of us again and quit trying to force the square peg that is RE2 into the round hole of the shooter genre.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
A5F1cx.gif

I prefer remake-style. This is my best case. If it's action, it needs to be more slow and weighty--like RE5. The pacing and story of RE2 are all wrong for RE6-style character action

Also, a substantial section playing Ada to clear up outstanding questions from the original.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Then go lobby capcom for what you want out of RE8 and quit complaining about a game by definition not being what you want for not being what you want. Go play tew or last of us again and quit trying to force the square peg that is RE2 into the round hole of the shooter genre.
Yeah this "I don't want Resident Evil 2" nonsense in a Resident Evil 2 thread is odd.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Because there are no other games like RE4 and 5. This topic was asking what we want from the remake, that's my answer. If they make it like REmake then I simply wont get it. I don't think my desire is crazy since it's just taking elements from other games in the series.
Fair enough, but those games arent even like 2 at all aside from name alone. 4 and 5 dont even have zombies (unless you count the ones on the floor of that facility in 5). Its apples and oranges. You bascially dont want a remake, you want an almost different game entirely.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this "I don't want Resident Evil 2" nonsense in a Resident Evil 2 thread is odd.

I particularly dont have any patience for these types of people who demand every game in existence bend to their tastes after they whined and cried about everyone being mean to them in every dead rising 4 thread before release then promptly didn't buy the game when it came out and shrugged when it killed the series by legendary level bombing.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but those games arent even like 2 at all aside from name alone. 4 and 5 dont even have zombies (unless you count the ones on the floor of that facility in 5). Its apples and oranges. You bascially dont want a remake, you want an almost different game entirely.
That's fair to say. Gameplay wise I certainly don't want a remake. I'll take the tone and setting of RE2 though. Ultimately I don't think I'll be the target audience for this game. Just my wishful thinking is all.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
1. Puzzle based on progression
2. Ammo that isn't as plentiful as RE4. Less plentiful than the original would be better (balancing). Obviously enemies shouldn't drop it.
3. Horror atmosphere that becomes action oriented over time.

In other words, remain largely faithful to the original. I'm worried, given that we heard about disagreements based on the direction of the game and setbacks based on it. But at least the original is one of the most accessible PS1 games released in its era.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's really not fair to say because there's less chance of the game playing like re4 or 5 than any other option on the table. If it does lean 3rd person action then it's going to effectively be REv3

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean it's really not fair to say because there's less chance of the game playing like re4 or 5 than any other option on the table. If it does lean 3rd person action then it's going to effectively be REv3
Fair to say that there arent really any other games like 4 and 5 (though dead space 3 kinda beats that same horse), not fair to say remake 2 should play like 4 and 5.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Well sorry for the unpopular opinion, but I think it's a possibility is all. The FF7 remake has entirely different gameplay for example.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

This isn't quite true. Burning zombies and defensive weapons are a pretty substantial change. Not to mention a change to the mansion. Of course, these changes are in line with the original game and not so much in line with the argument that RE2make should be very much different to the style of gameplay that monopolizes at least the first 60% of the game.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it aint quietly canned, like the PSP RE game.
But something tells me that it is, in favour of some GAS bullshit like Operation Racoon City 2 or smth.
If it doesn't show in Paris or at the PSX, it's most likely dead.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
RE4 gameplay in the RE2 world. Would be a day one game for me.

How would that even work? And by gameplay, do you specifically mean gunplay, or just everything regarding the mechanics in general? The more claustrophobic maps of RE2 don't lend themselves to the gameplay that was designed around more open areas. It would actually make them far too easy, and it would also make them a lot less tense if you had the same amount of ammo drops that you see in RE4.

Like some others have said, I just want REmake 2.

This is all I really want as well, although I don't want it looking like Revelations or Revelation 2, which is most likely how it would look if they decided to go with the static backgrounds. Also, even if it turns out to be a disappointment, it won't be a huge loss (other than being able to play a nice looking RE on a 4K TV) since RE2 looks just fine using something like Retroarch for the CRT shaders.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
How would that even work? And by gameplay, do you specifically mean gunplay, or just everything regarding the mechanics in general? The more claustrophobic maps of RE2 don't lend themselves to the gameplay that was designed around more open areas. It would actually make them far too easy, and it would also make them a lot less tense if you had the same amount of ammo drops that you see in RE4.

This is all I really want as well, although I don't want it looking like Revelations or Revelation 2, which is most likely how it would look if they decided to go with the static backgrounds. Also, even if it turns out to be a disappointment, it won't be a huge loss (other than being able to play a nice looking RE on a 4K TV) since RE2 looks just fine using something like Retroarch for the CRT shaders.
I mean the gunplay, controls and the camera.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Classic style
  2. More areas in Racoon City to explore
  3. New enemies
  4. New bosses
  5. A game is 100% different than B game
  6. Optional VR mode

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The one thing I don't want is prerendered backgrounds. That shit is dumb.

If this is going to be more than a graphical update, it should be done with technological advances since the original's release in mind. It's been what, two decades?

Personally I'd want RE2 with RE4 gameplay since that is my favourite game in the series but that seems unlikely. If they keep the fixed camera, they should make it dynamic like in God of War and have fully interactive environments.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the gunplay, controls and the camera.

Hmm. I'm not against it. I just don't know how the controls and camera would function properly with a similar world design without it feeling like a completely different game. The gunplay of RE4 is still top tier today, but I still think it might trivialize RE2 if it's trying to remain faithful to the map layout and encounter designs.

Whatever though. I'm up for anything as long as it's not first-person, since as I previously said, the original game still exists and is still perfectly playable.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And by gameplay, do you specifically mean gunplay, or just everything regarding the mechanics in general? The more claustrophobic maps of RE2 don't lend themselves to the gameplay that was designed around more open areas. It would actually make them far too easy.
That ship sailed in 1998. If RE2 Remake has fixed camera angles, for example, it is guaranteed to use RE2 N64's control scheme by default. The one that lets you perform hairpin turns and run circles around zombies.

I think it's pointless to argue. When Capcom reveal the style of the game, THEN people can discuss what they want from that particular design angle. Otherwise it's all too broad. I think that the most pragmatic approach would be a restrained version of RE6, or a slightly faster version of Rev2, with co-op. The whole Leon A/B, Claire A/B thing really won't go down that well with modern audiences. So they're very likely going to implement co-op and/or an AI partner.

But again, we just have to wait and see.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well sorry for the unpopular opinion, but I think it's a possibility is all. The FF7 remake has entirely different gameplay for example.
I have the feeling ff7remake, despite probably making a ton of money, is going to be the usual modern square overthought out, underperforming dumpster fire creatively and will have little to none of the soul that the original had.

I DO NOT want that for remake 2. I have wanted a remake 2 for over 15 years. Before 4 even existed. If its not essentially just like remake 1 for re 2, i feel capcom have really dropped the ball.

If i could add anything, I'd add maybe a bigger torture chamber section or maybe more Mr.X sections, not a full on different gameplay style and presentation.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I have the feeling ff7remake, despite probably making a ton of money, is going to be the usual modern square overthought out, underperforming dumpster fire creatively and will have little to none of the soul that the original had.

I DO NOT want that for remake 2. I have wanted a remake 2 for over 15 years. Before 4 even existed. If its not essentially just like remake 1 for re 2, i feel capcom have really dropped the ball.

If i could add anything, I'd add maybe a bigger torture chamber section or maybe more Mr.X sections, not a full on different gameplay style and presentation.
I think you'll get what you want since this seemed to be a semi response to REmake HD sales being better than expected. It's obviously not what I want but I'll be happy for the fans if it happens.

Atrarock

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, some new areas and a mutation scene from Crimson Head to Licker.

As well as some improvements (design wise/enemy wise) to the areas after the police station. Especially since some parts of RE2 have some crazy scary vibes/music and some parts are just "meh" since it's just zombies or super linear paths with not much to them, even in the B scenario.

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
Resident Evil 2 is my favourite game of all time. My opinion is that as long as they follow the formula of the REmake, there shouldn't be an issues.

I'd love to see them acknowledge the infamous Resident Evil 1.5, and put that content in the end product too. The soundtrack should also be put in the game with zero alterations as it was damn near perfection.

Also, if they decide to go down the route of Resident Evil 7, with the first person angle, I can also live with that as it'd be interesting to get a proper look at Raccoon City from a different perspective.

Deleted member 10314

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do exactly what they did with REmake. Freshen up the look and feel, familiar enough for people like me who played it to death, but different enough so that I'm also I'm sure of what's going to happen next. REmake did this with new locations, crimson heads, Lisa and new routes through the maps.
Genuinely my most anticipated game of hopefully 2018.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take RE6 but with less bullets and more resource management. Maybe relegate wrestling movies to unlockable skins and keep the default melee with crowd control punches, kicks, counter-throws, and the knife for when you want to kill something and not waste bullets.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I guess this might be seen as blasphemy, but I wish they do something about the item limit. As much as I loved the old games back in the day, the constant back and forth travel to store and fetch items felt really tedious now when I played REmake and Zero. At least put those needed to advance in a separate category, and limit only the amount of weapons, ammo, and healing items that can be carried.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if my question looks little Off-Topic , but I see everywhere that Capcom decided to Remake RE2 based on Remake HD Sales , Where did capcom said that ? I searched myself and found nothing except for Capcom saying in their Q&A FY2014 that they will be looking to "HD Remaster" some of their old Catalog after the success of RE HD Remaster and so we got RE4/5/6 Remasters as well as REV1 on PS4/X1/Switch and REV2 on Switch and Okami HD on PS4/X1/PC and Dragon Dogma on PS4/X1 and Megaman Vol.1 and Vol.2 and also the Disney Collection , But no Mention of AAA Budget Full Remakes like Remake 2

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation_2014.html?tab=0

I don't mind either Fixed Camera or OTS , But I am wondering about the saying that Capcom decided to Remake RE2 based on Remake HD Sales

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Not sure what's with the hostility. If people wanted to play RE2, they'd play RE2 (and some of us have!)

OP asked a question and people are answering. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.