• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
https://www.hypable.com/resident-evil-2-remake-review/
They gave the game a medicore review cause they couldn't understand the inventory management. Christ. Glad it isn't on metacritic.

I agree that the inventory space is too small... In the first 2 hours maybe until you start finding upgrades to it. After that you have enough room in your inventory. From reading the review, it's pretty clear that he's just very very bad at the game.

Coming back to the inventory: They should automatically throw away items that are no longer needed. I was running around with stuff that had no purpose anymore before understanding that you manually have to delete them. I know that one is on me, but it took me a couple hours to get it haha. No big deal though.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I agree that the inventory space is too small... In the first 2 hours maybe until you start finding upgrades to it. After that you have enough room in your inventory. From reading the review, it's pretty clear that he's just very very bad at the game.

Coming back to the inventory: They should automatically throw away items that are no longer needed. I was running around with stuff that had no purpose anymore before understanding that you manually have to delete them. I know that one is on me, but it took me a couple hours to get it haha. No big deal though.
But a tutorial pops up telling you to delete fully used items early in the game? Also if you're not using the item, stick it in the item box until you do need it. Leaving the save room with a full inventory is a mistake.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
But a tutorial pops up telling you to delete fully used items early in the game? Also if you're not using the item, stick it in the item box until you do need it. Leaving the save room with a full inventory is a mistake.

I know and that's why I said that it's not a big deal. I missed the pop up and realized it like two hours in myself. Never left the save room with full inventory, I know how to play RE games lol.
Its just strange and completely unnecessary that those items stay in your inventory. It adds to nothing. You can't do nothing with them. The player character could just throw them away automatically.
But that's such a small detail, don't think it's even worth discussing.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Lol.
Mr. X is great. And he is only in a small portion of the game. If you know what you're doing you can be out of that part of the game very quick.

He's not some constant hassle. He's scary. It adds good tension. But some of yall are massively overreacting

When he showed up on my Leon A playthrough he was there for good and there were no breaks from him for the rest of the RPD. He actually was a constant hassle, and there's nothing scary about it when a game overdoes a stalker character like that. It's not surprising when he shows up or enters a room, it becomes the expectation.

Every time he got near I just led him around to a large enough room to circle around him and get back to what I had been doing, as if it were a mundane chore. Which sucks, because he's great when he first appears. I did a review and he was maybe the single biggest criticism I had- they really blew it by making him so omnipresent and by taking away the ability to down him in a meaningful way. The thing that really burned me is that I couldn't see
Marvin's transformation
because X was right behind me and I just had to keep trucking. I didn't even notice the moment was happening until I heard my character yelling his name out as I went by.

He actually appeared a lot less frequently on Claire B. Maybe your experience was different, the adaptive difficulty may trigger him more or less depending on how you play.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I saw this on /v/ earlier. Don't know what site or blog it's from, but makes me fucking laugh, sounds like a GAF member.
D3Aihnf.png

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on /v/ earlier. Don't know what site or blog it's from, but makes me fucking laugh, sounds like a GAF member.
D3Aihnf.png

Honestly, this first point is valid: The original A and B scenarios complimented each other much, much better than in the REmake 2. Is still a great game, but it has a few minimal unpolished edges, and that one is definetly one of them.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, this first point is valid: The original A and B scenarios complimented each other much, much better than in the REmake 2. Is still a great game, but it has a few minimal unpolished edges, and that one is definetly one of them.
That part is valid, the last two paragraphs are the hilarious part.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Honestly baffled at how anyone can think A/B in the original was better. You had to replay vast portions of the game just to experience the fractional new content for each character. In REmake2 they've basically taken everything from the complete A/B experience and put it into one campaign and thus eliminated the need to repeat the vast majority of the game and instead get a fuller experience without the padding for game length. Would people honestly have been happier if they'd cut Mr.X from Leon's campaign just for the sake of making Claire's be more unique like RE2? All the content is there, just this time is far more accessible.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly baffled at how anyone can think A/B in the original was better. You had to replay vast portions of the game just to experience the fractional new content for each character. In REmake2 they've basically taken everything from the complete A/B experience and put it into one campaign and thus eliminated the need to repeat the vast majority of the game and instead get a fuller experience without the padding for game length. Would people honestly have been happier if they'd cut Mr.X from Leon's campaign just for the sake of making Claire's be more unique like RE2? All the content is there, just this time is far more accessible.

The original gave you 4 different campaigns that had some very different outcomes, all satisfying in their own way. This game gives you 1 campaign with a remixed mode on the 2nd scenario. You literally see some scenes twice in a way that makes the stories incompatible with each other, so the whole point of this being the other side of the same story falls apart. LeonA and LeonB had very different endings in regards to Ada, and I actually preferred the one that they didn't use. Differences like that made the system interesting in the original. You also had a better ending in B that didn't just feel like one extra boss room tacked on (which it does now). You went through an entirely different part of the lab to get the train running.

I don't know what you mean you say that the complete A/B scenario was packed into one game, because tons of content from the old scenarios is gone, I'm also not sure why shoving it all into one campaign would be a good thing; you should want an incentive to replay. The replay value of the original was much higher because it had differences worth playing another game for. Once I finished a single A-B run in the remake I felt like it would be pointless to play the other set since it would just be the same stuff again- I started it anyway and it turned out to be exactly as pointless as I thought. I basically stopped out of boredom without bothering to finish all 4.

I don't see any way to defend it, it's clearly junk that they didn't have the time to polish up.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Agreed. I vastly prefer the newer take.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The original gave you 4 different campaigns that had some very different outcomes, all satisfying in their own way. This game gives you 1 campaign with a remixed mode on the 2nd scenario. You literally see some scenes twice in a way that makes the stories incompatible with each other, so the whole point of this being the other side of the same story falls apart. LeonA and LeonB had very different endings in regards to Ada, and I actually preferred the one that they didn't use. Differences like that made the system interesting in the original. You also had a better ending in B that didn't just feel like one extra boss room tacked on (which it does now). You went through an entirely different part of the lab to get the train running.

I don't know what you mean you say that the complete A/B scenario was packed into one game, because tons of content from the old scenarios is gone, I'm also not sure why shoving it all into one campaign would be a good thing; you should want an incentive to replay. The replay value of the original was much higher because it had differences worth playing another game for. Once I finished a single A-B run in the remake I felt like it would be pointless to play the other set since it would just be the same stuff again- I started it anyway and it turned out to be exactly as pointless as I thought. I basically stopped out of boredom without bothering to finish all 4.

I don't see any way to defend it, it's clearly junk that they didn't have the time to polish up.

The original may have had more distinct A/B scenarios, but the remake is better in every way.

Yes, there is less different in the B, scenario, but the A scenario is so great it doesn't matter. Any day of the week I'll take an amazing 6 hours, with the option to play it again where 10 mins are different over a good 6 hours with the option to play it again where 2 hours are different.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
I haven't noticed that much cut content. The biggest difference from A scenario to B was Mr X and the final boss. Each story follows a similar path they did in the original. The only other meeting between Claire and Leon was in the RPD office/waiting room.

Other than "we found a way out of here" after the police chief.

Everything else that I thought was cut re-appeared at a very different part of the game.

In the original, you're basically playing a remixed mode of what you've already played in also.

It sucks that spiders didn't make it or the crazy looking lickers from the lab, but I don't think fighting a spider would have been much different from approaching a licker - so it makes sense in my mind as to why there were't needed and replaced by those fucking puke looking monsters.

Overall, it's an incredible experience. I still hope they port the dual shock version over to the new systems so I can have best of both RPD stations.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The problem with the new version is that it doesn't make sense to play A after B, given the incongruity between them. The original always had puzzles that didn't quite make sense for both characters to engage in, but playing A then B still felt like playing one story and then seeing the other side of it. This time, it's seeing two versions of the same story, except one has the ending cut out of it. There's no point to having the system, and I think it's true that they really should have just kept them separate. They should at least release a version of the game where you can play A all the way to the end, because now there's little reason to play through both. B doesn't add much.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
The original may have had more distinct A/B scenarios, but the remake is better in every way.

Yes, there is less different in the B, scenario, but the A scenario is so great it doesn't matter. Any day of the week I'll take an amazing 6 hours, with the option to play it again where 10 mins are different over a good 6 hours with the option to play it again where 2 hours are different.

You're saying the new system is better in every way, then admitting that it doesn't really offer anything new but that it's OK because the A scenario is so good that it doesn't matter. Which means you're admitting that no, the new zapping system isn't good and fails at what it's supposed to be doing but you're giving it a free pass because you think the game is really good.

Let's not get carried away by hype... The game is great but the new A/B system is really rushed and underwhelming compared to the original where you got different bosses, an almost entirely different ending location and dramatically different story scenes. I liked the old Claire A/Leon B ending since Ada's story was better and Leon participated in saving Sherry (she mentions in RE6 that Leon saved her life). In this game he doesn't even know about Sherry until they're on the train. The whole segment about
synthesizing the cure for Sherry was cut and Anette just does it off screen in between one of her two deaths.
There's a ton of stuff that didn't make it into the game, and a lot of the stuff that is in there is arguably the weaker of the two scenario versions.

It's clearly a rushed, tacked on thing. You can love the game and still acknowledge that this could have been done much, much better.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You're saying the new system is better in every way, then admitting that it doesn't really offer anything new but that it's OK because the A scenario is so good that it doesn't matter. Which means you're admitting that no, the new zapping system isn't good and fails at what it's supposed to be doing but you're giving it a free pass because you think the game is really good.

Let's not get carried away by hype... The game is great but the new A/B system is really rushed and underwhelming compared to the original where you got different bosses, an almost entirely different ending location and dramatically different story scenes. I liked the old Claire A/Leon B ending since Ada's story was better and Leon participated in saving Sherry (she mentions in RE6 that Leon saved her life). In this game he doesn't even know about Sherry until they're on the train. The whole segment about
synthesizing the cure for Sherry was cut and Anette just does it off screen in between one of her two deaths.
There's a ton of stuff that didn't make it into the game, and a lot of the stuff that is in there is arguably the weaker of the two scenario versions.

It's clearly a rushed, tacked on thing. You can love the game and still acknowledge that this could have been done much, much better.
I love the game and I think it couldn't been much better. It's called an opinion. And my opinion is that the new way is far more superior.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Weren't you the poster who was really worried it would become a straight action game and trivialize lickers? How do you feel about it?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
D3Aihnf.png

His point is quite solid even though I don't quite agree with, but his last line absolutely ruined his own argument.

I haven't noticed that much cut content. The biggest difference from A scenario to B was Mr X and the final boss. Each story follows a similar path they did in the original. The only other meeting between Claire and Leon was in the RPD office/waiting room.

Other than "we found a way out of here" after the police chief.

Everything else that I thought was cut re-appeared at a very different part of the game.

In the original, you're basically playing a remixed mode of what you've already played in also.

It sucks that spiders didn't make it or the crazy looking lickers from the lab, but I don't think fighting a spider would have been much different from approaching a licker - so it makes sense in my mind as to why there were't needed and replaced by those fucking puke looking monsters.

Overall, it's an incredible experience. I still hope they port the dual shock version over to the new systems so I can have best of both RPD stations.

Absolutely, I loved the game but the spider and the super licker should've made it into the remake. They could've easily made an already amazing game even better.

You could argue spider would make a bad enemy type but that's exactly why you are not a talented developer, the new RE team is talented as fuck, they could've easily made spiders a solid challenging enemy, and I can't even imagine how awesome it would've been to have the super licker as a new BOSS.

Just look at this thing, it's absolutely vicious.
2633832-dsc_enemies-7.jpg

latest

Last edited:

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever flaws the game might have. I still can't believe this thing exists and it's this amazing and i can play it right now.

working my way through the soy levels. Beat tofu and grenade man. Gonna try to beat Flan next.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Can anyone list the biggest differences between scenarios in the original? I haven't played the B scenario in the original in 20 years, so I don't remember it very well, but I did find the differences between scenarios rather disappointing in the remake.

In the remake:
  • Police station is identical in both A scenarios.
  • You get a different version of the police station which is identical for both B scenarios (it's noteworthy that some puzzles are still the same as A scenarios)
  • Sherry/Ada segments and parking lot are different if you play Leon or Claire, but identical in the A and B scenarios.
  • Sewers and lab are identical in all 4 scenarios.
  • The last boss is different for Leon and Claire, with B getting one extra small boss.
I definitely would have prefered 2 scenarios total so they could have used the extra resources on making the sewers and lab actually different.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
His point is quite solid even though I don't quite agree with, but his last line absolutely ruined his own argument.

Absolutely, I loved the game but the spider and the super licker should've made it into the remake. They could've easily made an already amazing game even better.

You could argue spider would make a bad enemy type but that's exactly why you are not a talented developer, the new RE team is talented as fuck, they could've easily made spiders a solid challenging enemy, and I can't even imagine how awesome it would've been to have the super licker as a new BOSS.

Just look at this thing, it's absolutely vicious.
2633832-dsc_enemies-7.jpg

latest

The only reason I'd assume they didn't didn't put super lickers in it is because the damage system. No matter what or how powerful the enemy seems, you're only going down from fine to caution (on normal) and from fine to danger (on hard).

Putting a souped up licker in there when it would just do the same amount of damage would make it "just another licker". I was curious what the plant monsters would look like in the game and visually, it made a hell of a lot more sense compared to what was in the original Resident Evil 2.

Those super lickers would drain your health quick and trap you. Was walking a method you could use to get passed them in the original? If so, I never knew that and have cornered myself many times.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The only reason I'd assume they didn't didn't put super lickers in it is because the damage system. No matter what or how powerful the enemy seems, you're only going down from fine to caution (on normal) and from fine to danger (on hard).

Putting a souped up licker in there when it would just do the same amount of damage would make it "just another licker". I was curious what the plant monsters would look like in the game and visually, it made a hell of a lot more sense compared to what was in the original Resident Evil 2.

Those super lickers would drain your health quick and trap you. Was walking a method you could use to get passed them in the original? If so, I never knew that and have cornered myself many times.

It doesn't have to just do more damage, video game design goes way deeper than that.

It can do the same amount of damage, but moves very differently, faster and more aggressive, maybe less predictable. It could have more health or different weak points, maybe it's almost bullet proof and only weak to fire. Maybe it can camouflage, using it's own color to blend in with the plants, making it harder to spot during a fight (in my imagination it's a boss fight inside the plant 43 area, which makes for an even better ''hunting'' fight).

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
It doesn't have to just do more damage, video game design goes way deeper than that.

It can do the same amount of damage, but moves very differently, faster and more aggressive, maybe less predictable. It could have more health or different weak points, maybe it's almost bullet proof and only weak to fire. Maybe it can camouflage, using it's own color to blend in with the plants, making it harder to spot during a fight (in my imagination it's a boss fight inside the plant 43 area, which makes for an even better ''hunting'' fight).

That actually does sound really cool and would be interesting. Well, if there's one thing about classic resident evil, we'll get a directors cut/DualShock/added DLC eventually, outside of the few characters.

I'd sadly buy anything Resident Evil 2

Nov 18, 2017

Nobody had a problem accessing content in the original RE2.
And YES, I would've been happier if they'd cut Mr. X from Scenario A. He detracts from Birkin.

The original has two interweaving stories with different NPC's, weapons, routes, puzzles, characters and bosses. Some locations repeated but that was it. Having X in one scenario was a positive thing, not a negative. RE2make loses this.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
D3Aihnf.png
"My biggest complaint" is where the bullshit start, but a lot of what he said about A/B is true, even if I do think this is by far the best survival horror RE yet. But to be fair, they literally came out and said they're not doing A/B scenarios right alongside the game's reveal, so what we got is still more than I expected on that front!

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm talking about straight gameplay. I have never cared about any RE story bar RE1/REmake. They're stupid to a high degree. If we're talking about cutscenes then that's even worse, you're replaying 50% of the game AGAIN just to see what amounts to at most 10 minutes of new cutscenes. That was never intended to be masterstroke game design, it was the developers of the era looking for ways artificially inflate the length of their short games.

Again, the complete gameplay experience, not cutscenes/story. Shoving it into one run is superior because then you get a full experience during a playthrough rather than having to replay 50% of the game again to see the 25% that you missed in either Leon or Claire. That's not replay value, that's artificially making what is a 5-6 hour game into a 9-10 hour game. Are you getting any less content if you take that unique 25% found in Leon or Claire and include it in the others scenarios? Of course not, it's still there. But what you're advocating for is to artificially make the game longer by forcing the player to replay 3-4 hours of stuff they've already played before to see that 1-2 hours that they haven't.

Replay value is subject, your mileage will differ based on how much you like the game and want to replay it. You might not want to get S+ ranks on hardcore to unlock the infinite ammo weapons but others will. You're happy to replay the same 3-4 hours of content 4 times to see cutscene differences, others aren't.

Like how you're defending junk bad game design tactic in RE2 that was only included because they rushed development due scrapping a tonne of stuff from RE 1.5? I feel like some old games that have a good reputation only have their positive elements praised and any negatives totally ignored yet new games are picked a part from every direction.

Nobody had a problem accessing content in the original RE2.
I never said anyone did have problems accessing content in RE2. Doesn't change the fact that the A/B scenarios were an artificial game lengthen tactic that forced the player to replay 50% of content they'd already played.

And YES, I would've been happier if they'd cut Mr. X from Scenario A. He detracts from Birkin.
You'd have been happier if a major gameplay element was cut from one of the characters? Yeah you'd probably be in the minority in that.

The original has two interweaving stories with different NPC's, weapons, routes, puzzles, characters and bosses. Some locations repeated but that was it. .
Stories aside. The original had the MAJORITY of weapons, routes, puzzles and bosses repeated. Stating otherwise is simply not true. What REmake 2 does is it takes the differences (gameplay wise) found in the two scenarios of RE2 and instead puts them all into one scenario. Instead of 3 boss fights you now get 5 etc...You're not losing any content. It's still all there. REmake2 also does have difference in weapons, routes and puzzles between Claire and Leon.

Having X in one scenario was a positive thing, not a negative. RE2make loses this.
Needing to repeat 50% of the content you'd already played with Leno just to see Mr.X with Claire is a negative. Would REmake have been better if they'd cut Crimson heads from Jill and only had it in Chris? If they'd cut Lisa Trevor from Chris and only had it in Jill? If they'd cut one of the snake boss fights from each and only had 1 in each? By cutting some content from each character and only having it in the other you are not increasing the amount of content in the game. It's pretty simple.

Last edited:

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking about straight gameplay. I have never cared about any RE story bar RE1/REmake. They're stupid to a high degree. If we're talking about cutscenes then that's even worse, you're replaying 50% of the game AGAIN just to see what amounts to at most 10 minutes of new cutscenes. That was never intended to be masterstroke game design, it was the developers of the era looking for ways artificially inflate the length of their short games.

Again, the complete gameplay experience, not cutscenes/story. Shoving it into one run is superior because then you get a full experience during a playthrough rather than having to replay 50% of the game again to see the 25% that you missed in either Leon or Claire. That's not replay value, that's artificially making what is a 5-6 hour game into a 9-10 hour game. Are you getting any less content if you take that unique 25% found in Leon or Claire and include it in the others scenarios? Of course not, it's still there. But what you're advocating for is to artificially make the game longer by forcing the player to replay 3-4 hours of stuff they've already played before to see that 1-2 hours that they haven't

Like how you're defending junk bad game design tactic in RE2 that was only included because they rushed development due scrapping a tonne of stuff from RE 1.5? I feel like some old games that have a good reputation only have their positive elements praised and any negatives totally ignored yet new games are picked a part from every direction.

You're framing it as if the original scenarios only had story differences when they actually had many more gameplay differences than the remake does, and a lot of that content can't really be combined into a single scenario since it was specifically made to reflect the consequences of the 1st character's actions. Things like the Umbrella elevator having to be recalled and then breaking down after the A character used it, for instance.

The remake's biggest 2nd scenario difference is that the RPD is remixed and you go through it in a different order, but as the game goes on everything becomes more and more like the A scenario and the ending just feels like an extra room was added on- Instead of falling through a catwalk at the end, you continue down the hallway and get to the train room.

In the original you also had a remixed RPD that you moved through differently and the lab section was an entirely different area from the A game. Activating the train was something that actually required exploration and backtracking to do, it wasn't just an extra tacked on room. You also had a lot of content about creating the vaccine for Sherry and getting her to the train that didn't make it into the remake. It led to a much more satisfying ending than the new 2nd scenario, which again feels really abrupt.

The story differences weren't just confined to the cutscenes, you went to different areas of the game and did different things to trigger them (Ada on the bridge vs. Ada in the power room). You had totally different gameplay goals in the B scenario leading you into those scenes. You also had interactions between characters that could lead to different equipment being locked or unlocked.

I'm not really sure what's being argued here, because a few posters seem to be hammering in the idea that people shouldn't have to play the game over again to see a different scenario... but the remake included that system. It's there, whether you want 2nd scenarios or not, and it offers much less incentive to replay than the original system. In that sense, yes, it's worse.

I guess what I'm asking is why people are defending the remake's zapping system... if they seem to hate the idea of a zapping system to begin with? If you only care about the A game, that's fine, but why not just admit that the 2nd scenarios aren't very compelling and aren't worth playing? The purpose of the zapping system is to add replay value, which the new system does a really poor job of. Don't we basically agree about this?

Weren't you the poster who was really worried it would become a straight action game and trivialize lickers? How do you feel about it?

They proved me wrong for doubting them in a lot of cases but a lot of other things turned out exactly as disappointing as I thought (the soundtrack being the major one). It's a really good game but instead of a remake it's more like you played the original and then had some crazy fever dream about it.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm not talking about zapping. A/B and zapping are different discussion. REmake2 doesn't have zapping, the devs confirmed it cut from the start and it's still not in the final game. How you/I complain about a system being "junk" or not "polished because of time" if it's not even included at all anyway.

I actually made another post yesterday before we even had this discussion where I said the zapping system was a more legit concern. Whilst it was underdeveloped in RE2 and it's not a huge miss here, I said it would have been better that instead of cutting it they actually expanded it in REmake2. So I guess we agree on that.

But I still don't agree on A/B since the content by and large is still there expect now it's more seamlessly included in each scenario rather than being cut across two different ones and requiring repetition to experience.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah she's very detailed, and it's clear she knows her shit. Insta subscribe.

Yep. I think "The Road to Rocket Launcher" series is better when it comes to simply analyzing the games, but what set her videos apart, besides the knowledge, is the passion. You really can feel she is talking about a game franchise that means a lot and is enjoying doing the videos. I can watch the RE3 video on a loop.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
They proved me wrong for doubting them in a lot of cases but a lot of other things turned out exactly as disappointing as I thought (the soundtrack being the major one). It's a really good game but instead of a remake it's more like you played the original and then had some crazy fever dream about it.

I would still classify it as a remake, and I think I went in with different expectations, but similar feelings towards the end product. The gameplay was better than I ever could have hoped for, though I expected more substantial exploration in the latter third. I felt that the story did individual scenes often the best that it could, but the broader story unfolded in a much less satisfying way that made it feel like a more disposable experience than the original. The soundtrack is also a disappointment for me, including some of how the original OST is handled. I warmed up to the new OST's "silence" in the R.P.D., but the failure to do as well as the original when music was there (some of the later boss fights, cinematics) was a pretty big disappointment.

Overall it's probably the best classic RE to date from a gameplay perspective, so I can't complain too much. I would rather have this over an action game that did a better job with the narrative. It's a but of a surprise though, because I guess on some level I had always assumed if it were to ever be remade, it would hit it out of the park in the story/presentation department. If it didn't make Leon his RE4 Leon, which thankfully didn't happen here.

Oct 28, 2017
It took me five minutes. And I didn't die once. Just because you suck at stealth dosen't make it poorly designed.
Sucking or not sucking at stealth means nothing. It's not a skill based section of gameplay and whether you do it in one attempt or 5 it doesn't change that. You could be a master of stealth games and fail in this sequence because you don't take the exact path the game wants you to take.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I love games that do stealth well, like MGS1, Human Revolution, the early Splinter Cells so on and so forth, and I thought Sherry's section was the nadir of REmake 2 by far. It's awful.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
RE2 is a great game that gets the important stuff right, but after the shine wears off critical reception is going to sour on some things.

Both sub character sequences are bad. Sherry's is especially tedious.

The "B" game feels really incomplete. If they couldn't manage to create true alternative POV scenarios like in RE2, I wish they had just focused on making better "main" missions for Leon and Claire.

My most controversial take: Mr. X is actually bad. He's very intimidating at first. His design and footsteps are very well done. It didn't long until I realized that he's really slow, and he goes away if you run into certain rooms, and he is stymied by things like long tables. Sometimes he stalks a key item which is just annoying. There's no decision making because he can't be killed and doesn't reward being stunned. The memes are top notch and he seems real good at ruining hardcore speed runs, but overall I'm not a fan.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a five fucking minute segment. FIVE MINUTES. Of painfully easy stealth (which is only basically ONE part of the entire thing, the room) People just love to hate things. It's a confirmation bias, you wanted the game to fail, so you're just screaming about what basically amounts to a tiny part of the game that most people loved, and complaining when other people don't like it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's a five fucking minute segment. FIVE MINUTES. Of painfully easy stealth (which is only basically ONE part of the entire thing, the room) People just love to hate things. It's a confirmation bias, you wanted the game to fail, so you're just screaming about what basically amounts to a tiny part of the game that most people loved, and complaining when other people don't like it.

Lmao