• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Jesus-Christ !

I finally managed to get the parking card. It took me ages. I did not use the map properly so I was missing few items to get into the Clock tower.

So happy to not to have recurrent encounters with the Tyran ( or Mr X or whatever its name ).

Now I'm doing Ada thing. I don't llike so far. Not much ammo :(

I really love the game so far. But this is NOT close to Resident Evil 4. RE4 will temain the GOAT !

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
A post Code Veronica story has already been done. It's the Leon/Krauser story added in Dark Side Chronicles dealing with a new infection based on the Veronica virus.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think Capcom did the best thing they could have by keeping this remake as standalone as possible with as little ties to other games as they could. This allows both newcomers and series veterans to enjoy it on an equal footing without any baggage.

Claire found concrete evidence about Chris not being around anymore and being on a 'vacation' instead of the ominous diary he leaves in the original game. Marvin didn't bother going into a monologue about the "mansion incident" with Claire or Leon etc.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got through an AB run. Do I need to go vice versa with Leon/Claire, or do I pretty much have the whole story?

Also, trying out 4th survivor. Fuck it's hard.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just got through an AB run. Do I need to go vice versa with Leon/Claire, or do I pretty much have the whole story?

Also, trying out 4th survivor. Fuck it's hard.

You have the complete story. You can do the other way around for the respective achievement/trophy and in-game unlockables now but there's no story alterations.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't know if someone already bring this to discussion, but what's about that huge hole in the third floor in the police station? In my first run I ignore it, but in the second run I watch it and thought it was very weird. It would be dope if it was Nemesis's work when he was chasing Jill.
I would assume that it's always just been Mr. X's doing
I'm glad I wasn't the only one pushing the theory that ReMakes take place in their own timeline now and we're going to have a separate cannon.

Now that this is actually gaining a little traction, I'm going to go out on a limb and state again that I think RE7 takes place in the ReMake universe and not the post-RE6 universe.
I don't really think that, though. I don't want a seperate canon, I want a single canon but you have to pick and choose when a remake exists, but this is an opportunity to reshape the gap in the mainline games' plot between 1998 and 2003 because IMO the "Take down Umbrella" plotline-fix they made in Umbrella Chronicles is rather uninspired and not worth it, but that act of the timeline should be more monumental and involve Chris, Jill AND Leon and Claire potentially, and there's opportunities to introduce another new classic-horror scenario one last time before the franchise moves towards its more outlandish horror genres and action movie-flair. I don't think RE2 Remake seperates the canon and I didn't think the original RE did so, but there's narrative inconsistencies and you can look at each game as the quintessential tale of what happened in that incident with some wishy washy details swapping place or getting added or removed with the remakes. Doesn't bother me and I didn't think the new dialogue in this version of RE2's ending implies any less that the future for Leon and Claire would involve pursuing the cause of the G-virus outbreak any less than OG RE2 did. It's just more open ended so that there's more room for the plot to be remade or simply end here.

Long and short is: Neither REmake or RE2 feels like reboots to me.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've finished up the story, what's the breakdown of all the changes they've made between this new one and the classic one?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't really think that, though. I don't want a seperate canon, I want a single canon but you have to pick and choose when a remake exists, but this is an opportunity to reshape the gap in the mainline games' plot between 1998 and 2003 because IMO the "Take down Umbrella" plotline-fix they made in Umbrella Chronicles is rather uninspired and not worth it, but that act of the timeline should be more monumental and involve Chris, Jill AND Leon and Claire potentially, and there's opportunities to introduce another new classic-horror scenario one last time before the franchise moves towards its more outlandish horror genres and action movie-flair. I don't think RE2 Remake seperates the canon and I didn't think the original RE did so, but there's narrative inconsistencies and you can look at each game as the quintessential tale of what happened in that incident with some wishy washy details swapping place or getting added or removed with the remakes. Doesn't bother me and I didn't think the new dialogue in this version of RE2's ending implies any less that the future for Leon and Claire would involve pursuing the cause of the G-virus outbreak any less than OG RE2 did. It's just more open ended so that there's more room for the plot to be remade or simply end here.

Long and short is: Neither REmake or RE2 feels like reboots to me.

Right, I'm not exactly implying that RE2 has drastically set up the potential of a divergence from the current storyline.

I'm just saying that it's a good opportunity to do so and take the series in a more grounded direction that REmake2 has gone. Yea, there is still insane stuff like G-Virus shit and all that stuff, but I really have a hard time seeing shit like singing leeches and telepathic abilities from RE0 and CV making it's way into a potential remake of those stories.

The RE cannon is consistent, but that's not the issue. The direction they took it where people turned into action heroes who do inhumane things on a regular basis is where the series went out of touch. Stuff like the BSAA/Neo-Umbrella are things I think would be interesting to tackle outside of the insanity introduced in RE6 and the subsequent games around that time period.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Right, I'm not exactly implying that RE2 has drastically set up the potential of a divergence from the current storyline.
My proposition is weird though because all I want is the nonessential spinoffs Umbrella Chronicles to be decanonized or reimagined in the stories they tell about the behind the scenes in the games, I don't want the entire aftermath of RE2 to change because I really do like RE4, RE5 and RE6 on their own terms. Exception being that I think RE6 needs to be retconned into being a movie made inside the RE universe as a "based on real events" version of the Raccoon City incident featuring the national heroes as the main characters because Bioterror has become sensationalized.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My proposition is weird though because all I want is the nonessential spinoffs Umbrella Chronicles to be decanonized or reimagined in the stories they tell about the behind the scenes in the games, I don't want the entire aftermath of RE2 to change because I really do like RE4, RE5 and RE6 on their own terms. Exception being that I think RE6 needs to be retconned into being a movie made inside the RE universe as a "based on real events" version of the Raccoon City incident featuring the national heroes as the main characters because Bioterror has become sensationalized.

I think RE4 works, RE5 could do with a REmake using the original horror concept

RE6 gets thrown in the trash cannon wise

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm just saying that it's a good opportunity to do so and take the series in a more grounded direction that REmake2 has gone. Yea, there is still insane stuff like G-Virus shit and all that stuff, but I really have a hard time seeing shit like singing leeches and telepathic abilities from RE0 and CV making it's way into a potential remake of those stories.

The RE cannon is consistent, but that's not the issue. The direction they took it where people turned into action heroes who do inhumane things on a regular basis is where the series went out of touch. Stuff like the BSAA/Neo-Umbrella are things I think would be interesting to tackle outside of the insanity introduced in RE6 and the subsequent games around that time period.

I think very little will be modified if they remake CV, Wesker will be just as unrealistic because the virus made him that way so at least there plausible context for that. I doubt we'll ever see 0 remade except some ports of the same game we know, but who knows...

RE6 needs to be retconned to hell though, RE5 is kind of OK, but Chris punching that giant rock needs to die.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The hole is there before Mr. X arrives... wait, we never knew in-game when Mr. X arrived to the station, right? I remember than in the original there is a cutscene with it, but here is nada. You are right, it may be Mr. X, but honestly I think it's just a red-herring. I think we will knew the truth when REmake 3 happens. I can't wait for this E3 year lol

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The hole is there before Mr. X arrives... wait, we never knew in-game when Mr. X arrived to the station, right? I remember than in the original there is a cutscene with it, but here is nada. You are right, it may be Mr. X, but honestly I think it's just a red-herring. I think we will knew the truth when REmake 3 happens. I can't wait for this E3 year lol
I wouldn't get too excited. Capcom revealed RE2 through Sony last year and they're not holding a conference this year.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Finished up the last two Tofu challenges, Flan and Annin Tofu. Annin Tofu only took one or two tries but Flan took longer, which is the opposite of what I expected. I then went back to Hunk with my new strategies and got a time of 8:25. This mode is a ton of fun.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
We can't take such leaps and bounds to selectively de-canonize what we don't like. RE as a whole is still absurd, and that's ok. It's not that long ago we had
a DLC story about a swamp hermit who finds a power first and punches the shit out of his moldy brother to rescue his niece.
You can't remove that from canon, whatever that even means.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I love Konjac Tofu mode. It's such a great feeling to just murder everything I had to dodge previously. :D

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The Resident Evil Universe has more to lose than it does to gain if they ever retcon anything. Everything canon in the series fits within reason and helps the universe of RE be hugely unique. I can't imagine how boring the lore would be if only certain approved aspects & tones were allowed through.
I'd easily argue the series wouldn't have the fanboy that pours all over the lore like it does today if they followed such rules.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
A few years ago the idea of a "non-campy" RE title was out of the league (the more absurd and unrealistic, the bettter) but now there are people arguing that the series should be more 'grounded'. How times change.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely love messing with Mr. X in doorways I know he can't pass through to lighten the mood.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Resident Evil Universe has more to lose than it does to gain if they ever retcon anything. Everything canon in the series fits within reason and helps the universe of RE be hugely unique. I can't imagine how boring the lore would be if only certain approved aspects & tones were allowed through.
I'd easily argue the series wouldn't have the fanboy that pours all over the lore like it does today if they followed such rules.

There is more cheese that can be tossed out with no repercussions than you think. Umbrella Chronicles and RE5 and 6 is just the the obvious.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like 6 that much but I don't see the need to retcon it, 7 proved you can go back to something smaller scale story wise and still have it work.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like saying they should retcon Halo 4 and 5
Going to have to disagree. 343i actually puts alot of effort into making sure things stay as consistent as possible. It may not have always worked out, but they try to be consistent atleast. With Resident Evil Capcom got careless after RE4 and seemed to just throw shit at a wall and see what sticks.

I question some of the fanbase aswell, where Halo is Science Fiction and takes palce more than 500 years in the future things can go out there, Resident Evil while a work of fiction is set in present time and shit like punching boulders in a volcano is just way out there. Plus they did Wesker a disservice as a villain in that game. I feel even Rebecca and Barry should have been there for the final showdown... Complete missed opportunity that can only be made up for if they redo RE5 and 6 entirely.

Yeah, I'm sure Capcom doesn't like their Top 2 best selling Resident Evil games of all time.
Capcom even stated they prefer to have a well received game that doesn't sell aswell to a game that is criticized and sells alot. Heck RE7 was in a sense a reboot as they did alot to avoid the subject of 5 and 6, all the way down to making Chris a normal looking soldier instead of some steroid junkie ripped from Gears of War.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Umbrella Chronicles and Dark Side Chronicles are fun little light gun games and are more or less fan service. People wanted Jill and Chris team up to destroy Umbrella and they gave them that. They wanted to see how Leon and Krauser met and they've delivered on that front. They wanted to see a RE 2 version where Leon and Claire don't separate during the outbreak and they got it! I don't see why we need to erase games people don't like to create another timeline so we can chase wild goose and mysterious in-between games. The last prequels and in-between games we got were 0 and Revelations 1 and people constantly hate on them all the time. After they run into the ground the current remake formula of RE 2 R with RE 3 R and a maybe a RE CV R then people will be fed up and want something else entirely.

The series always had a pretty iffy timeline and dumb story twists anyway. Reminder, when you meet Rebecca in RE 1 she actually went through all the shit that happened in RE 0 and doesn't even mention any of it to you. In Code Veronica the whole point of Claire's European adventure was finding Chris and she gets captured in an Umbrella facility trying to find his whereabouts. Yet while she's captured she simply email Leon and he finds Chris instantly lol. In RE6 Umbrella managed to actually have aircraft carriers registered to it's name, in an universe where all the other RE games happened. In RE 6 Chris has PTSD after losing his men in the first mission yet it made no sense after all the friends and people he lost in the whole series timeline (even Jill with 5/Lost in the nightmare). In Revelations 1 the game introduces some kind of artificial land mass that gets blown to bit by a 007 Goldeneye-esque satellite in a never seen before kind of story for the franchise.

With RE 2 R they've made a cut to the chase version of the original with much less lore, files and next to no link to any of the other games in the franchise so you don't feel like missing out if you are new and it's perfectly fine. For the opposite strategy check the N64 port of RE 2. They added more files you can find in it and it references the leech research, Dr Marcus and the Ashford family to introduce the games that were coming up and not yet released.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Going to have to disagree. 343i actually puts alot of effort into making sure things stay as consistent as possible. It may not have always worked out, but they try to be consistent atleast. With Resident Evil Capcom got careless after RE4 and seemed to just throw shit at a wall and see what sticks.

I question some of the fanbase aswell, where Halo is Science Fiction and takes palce more than 500 years in the future things can go out there, Resident Evil while a work of fiction is set in present time and shit like punching boulders in a volcano is just way out there. Plus they did Wesker a disservice as a villain in that game. I feel even Rebecca and Barry should have been there for the final showdown... Complete missed opportunity that can only be made up for if they redo RE5 and 6 entirely.

Capcom even stated they prefer to have a well received game that doesn't sell aswell to a game that is criticized and sells alot. Heck RE7 was in a sense a reboot as they did alot to avoid the subject of 5 and 6, all the way down to making Chris a normal looking soldier instead of some steroid junkie ripped from Gears of War.

I dunno. Really just comes off as personal taste more than anything. I think it's disengenious to say capcom wasn't even trying with their stories in RE4-6 just because they have moments that don't fit our modern times. I'd argue there's more weird in the series than Normal, so the idea to cut stuff would result in more than just "Chris punched a boulder in 5 and we can't have that in my horror game".

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Something I really don't understand is that apparently RE3 takes place before and during RE2 so why do they have both Mr X and Nemesis chase you when the Nemesis is clearly the superior one.

Also, did Nemesis shoot down the chopper we hear crash in RE2?

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I really don't understand is that apparently RE3 takes place before and during RE2 so why do they have both Mr X and Nemesis chase you when the Nemesis is clearly the superior one.

As far as I remember, RE3 takes place before and after RE2 (at some point Jill gets knocked out, and that's when RE2 takes place). Nemesis seems to be only after STARS members, whereas Mr X (at least in RE2 original) I think was after the G Virus (Seems to just be killing anyone alive in the remake, mopping up etc).

The chopper in the original went down due to a policeman being chewed up by zombies while firing his MP5, which hit the pilot causing it to go down. No idea in the remake, it's open for them to choose what they want.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Nemesis has a clear goal, hunt down the STARS members. Mr. X wouldn't be up to that task. The latter motivation is a bit of a mistery, but we can roughly say he was meant to kill survivors, so they didn't expect Mr. X to face a major challenge. And indeed, he is defeated by a 19-year old girl and a rookie cop.

I've seen this theory before and I like it. I doubt they thought about it working in RE2, but who knows they decide to make that connection in RE3?

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
My thought with the whole retcon stuff is that RE is definitely messy as far as events and the way they're portrayed is concerned. Going forward, should they choose to do so, there is just a lot of cleaning up they could stand to do to make things gel better from a outside perspective, not just fans arguing over loosely threaded canon. Even the silliest things can be believable if you can present a good case or show for it. I mean, bioweapon Mr. X wears a hat and a trench coat and no one even questions it precisely because the whole package is well presented. Up until the REmakes and RE7, too many things felt like they didn't even matter in context (the developers weren't working through a "gotta stick to the script" mentality), so I just think this is a good opportunity to fix that or move away from it.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I only just now realized that the reason Leon was originally meant to start out on the rooftop (1.5), was becuase that helicopter was meant to be his rescue.

"Oh that's just freaking great. Now what am I gonna do?"

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by the damage to the shower rooms near the stars office it does look like Nemesis was already in the police station. Also it does seem that with this Remake Operation Racoon City is basically no longer canon which is good.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I don't think RE as a series needs to be more grounded in general, but I do think that there are two aspects which they should reign in: the characters becoming basically superheroes and the ridiculous transformations. I like my monsters as much as anyone but the final RE6 bosses for Leon/Helena and Ada (not naming names due to potential spoilers) absolutely destroyed any sense of suspension of incredulity.

Glad to see that RE2 Remake mostly got those two aspects right and hope it's kept similar in the future.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Leon A/Claire B. Needless to say these two things happening at the same time make no sense. So what do you think really happened?

For example, say Leon A is canon. What was Claire actually doing at the time?

-First of all, the underground entrance would already be open for her.
-She'd meet Sherry downstairs, but not fight William and would never fight William until rotating the train car.
-Let's say that the parking garage gate went back down on a timer or something, so she'd still run into Irons.
-She'd be able to access the parking pass without solving a puzzle (since Leon already took the items from the clock tower) - the office cage would just be open.
-She'd get Irons' call and go to the orphanage as shown in the game
-Sherry getting stuck in the garbage room wouldn't happen. Claire would meet up with Annette for a very short time (perhaps while she already has Ada trapped) and agree to take Sherry to the lab to find a cure for her illness.
-Annette would just give Claire the wristband to go directly to the cure and it would be uneventful. She would return and cure Sherry.
-Claire's fights with William at the end of the game happen as shown.
-Sherry and Claire would not know what became of Annette (Leon would have to tell them on the train in an scene not shown, so this is one bit that doesn't fit in too well)

If Claire A is canon:
-Leon goes immediately underground
-Leon meets Ada but doesn't fight William.
-Ada is not captured by Annette, she simply comes and goes as she wants.
-Ada gives Leon a wristband that will get him all the way to the G-virus, treating him as a pawn.
-Leon gets the G-virus with little effort, triggering the self destruct. Leon does not find out who Ada really is, but is suspicious when she asks for the virus (I guess there could be some situation where Leon runs into Annette and they have a similar conversation to what is in the game)
-Ada "dies" in the same way when the bridge collapses.
-Leon fights the Tyrant as shown in the game.

It's a bit silly, but a fun thought experiment. I was just a little bummed about how badly the A/B stories connect and wanted to come up with some headcanon.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
What really happened is a question you can ask about a lot of Resident Evil stuff. The story of RE1 for example is not clear to this day, there are pieces that are more canon than others, if that's a expression that makes sense, but overall it's up to the player to decide. The safe answer is that it's a mix of everything.

I did expect then to make the narrative of RE2 much tighter though. I think this is a weak spot that is becoming more and more apparent as the honeymoon period fades...

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but 5 was well received.
Capcom has only said they weren't happy with 6.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished Leon A/Claire B. Needless to say these two things happening at the same time make no sense. So what do you think really happened?

For example, say Leon A is canon. What was Claire actually doing at the time?

-First of all, the underground entrance would already be open for her.
-She'd meet Sherry downstairs, but not fight William and would never fight William until rotating the train car.
-Let's say that the parking garage gate went back down on a timer or something, so she'd still run into Irons.
-She'd be able to access the parking pass without solving a puzzle (since Leon already took the items from the clock tower) - the office cage would just be open.
-She'd get Irons' call and go to the orphanage as shown in the game
-Sherry getting stuck in the garbage room wouldn't happen. Claire would meet up with Annette for a very short time (perhaps while she already has Ada trapped) and agree to take Sherry to the lab to find a cure for her illness.
-Annette would just give Claire the wristband to go directly to the cure and it would be uneventful. She would return and cure Sherry.
-Claire's fights with William at the end of the game happen as shown.
-Sherry and Claire would not know what became of Annette (Leon would have to tell them on the train in an scene not shown, so this is one bit that doesn't fit in too well)

If Claire A is canon:
-Leon goes immediately underground
-Leon meets Ada but doesn't fight William.
-Ada is not captured by Annette, she simply comes and goes as she wants.
-Ada gives Leon a wristband that will get him all the way to the G-virus, treating him as a pawn.
-Leon gets the G-virus with little effort, triggering the self destruct. Leon does not find out who Ada really is, but is suspicious when she asks for the virus (I guess there could be some situation where Leon runs into Annette and they have a similar conversation to what is in the game)
-Ada "dies" in the same way when the bridge collapses.
-Leon fights the Tyrant as shown in the game.

It's a bit silly, but a fun thought experiment. I was just a little bummed about how badly the A/B stories connect and wanted to come up with some headcanon.

Have the same feeling + that they changed a lot of things from the original. Most of them are not an improvement.
But still the Remake is an amazing game and loved it. This is how ResidentEvil and all future entries should be

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Who is Mr X? The game doesn't elaborate what or who this is? There's no setup for him or background story he just appears for...reasons? Who was he sent by and why is he the way he is?
Is he the same end game tyrant you fight at the end of the first game? Why does he have way more intelligence than just normal zombies or even monster Birkin?

Oct 25, 2017
Who is Mr X? The game doesn't elaborate what or who this is? There's no setup for him or background story he just appears for...reasons? Who was he sent by and why is he the way he is?
Is he the same end game tyrant you fight at the end of the first game? Why does he have way more intelligence than just normal zombies or even monster Birkin?

There's a file in Leon's campaign explaining what he is and why he's there.