• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but they are close to each other in terms of timeline, RE2 and RE7 are literally decades apart.

Again, it's a pet peeve, I just wish there's new asset that's all.

I mean, Raccoon City is in the Midwest, supposedly based after Springfield, Missouri, so not that far from Louisiana. They might have the same ammo manufacturer around that area.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Hey everyone, I'd really like to play Remake. It'll be my first RE game ever, growing up I was too scared to play them. But, now I'm older and less scared of certain genres of horror. However, I FUCKING HATE SPIDERS, especially fictional gigantic ones.

How bad is this game with that? I was watching someone stream the original RE2 and saw some giant ass spiders in some sewer. Are they a common enemy? Because shit already creeped me out watching a stream with old ass pixelated spiders, I can only imagine such a horror in current gen graphics.

The timing of that post could not have been better.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I mean, Raccoon City is in the Midwest, supposedly based after Springfield, Missouri, so not that far from Louisiana. They might have the same ammo manufacturer around that area.

I guess so, still I wish they'd use a new asset.

I don't know why, I just really love Resident Evil item assets, especially the ammo. It's just stunning to me, like they're jewelry or something.
Everytime they released a new RE game it's always something I keep my eyes on.

The original RE2 handgun bullets is still one of my favorites, there's just something atmospheric about it.
I would literally remake this asset for RE2 myself If I could.

hand-gun-bullets.png

Just look at this, it's so good.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
why on earth are you expecting these things..... talk about setting yourself up for disappointment.

Why on Earth wouldn't I be expecting these things? Weren't Jill and Nemesis in the RPD hours before Claire and Leon? Is it unreasonable to expect some... evindence of that was left? Or to expect some easter eggs about Jill (and other STARS members) about their time in Raccoon City from the mansion incident untill RE2's events?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Why on Earth wouldn't I be expecting these things? Weren't Jill and Nemesis in the RPD hours before Claire and Leon? Is it unreasonable to expect some... evindence of that was left? Or to expect some easter eggs about Jill (and other STARS members) about their time in Raccoon City from the mansion incident untill RE2's events?
I can guarantee you now that you won't be seeing Jill or Nemesis in REmake 2 (well, Jill's stuff is in the S.T.A.R.S. office, but y'know what I mean), there's a few small subtle things that may allude to REmake 3, but I don't think any of it is super obvious and I think they're saving a lot of stuff for REmake 3 in this case.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I can guarantee you now that you won't be seeing Jill or Nemesis in REmake 2 (well, Jill's stuff is in the S.T.A.R.S. office, but y'know what I mean), there's a few small subtle things that may allude to REmake 3, but I don't think any of it is super obvious and I think they're saving a lot of stuff for REmake 3 in this case.

I definitely wasn't expecting to see neither. "small subtle things that may allude" to the events of RE3 is what I am/was hoping.

Something like a character sees Mr. X and says "another one?". That would make my day.

Babus

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm going to do this since we're talking about it...

Here's every enemy in the original RE2:

9130c1e1991b7502827f453ed28bc071.png

Now to break this down in comparison to the remake:

-Zombies are in and have more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Lickers are in and have more detail and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Zombie dogs are in and have more detail and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Crows are in the game, but they're no longer enemies. In the original they broke through the windows of a single hall and flew around in circles.
-Marvin is in the game as a zombie. There's actually MORE special zombies like Marvin in the game I'll also mention, dynamic zombies for certain scenarios and characters.
-G-Type Adult is in the game and now is a regular enemy type, has a LOT more depth than the original.
-G-Type Young is in the game, it's attached to G-Type Adult like the original but reimagined.
-Large Roaches are in a game, but more of an environmental thing and occasional hazard than an enemy type (which they only appeared in a single room for Sherry as a hazard in the original, so pretty accurate).
-Giant Spiders are cut, though actual spiders do sometimes appear but not as an enemy.
-Giant Alligator is in the game.
-Evolved Lickers were cut, but there's a lot more depth and mechanical variety to the regular Lickers.
-Vines are in the game, but like the original they're more a hazard.
-Ivy is in the game and has more detail and mechanical depth than ever before. Poison Ivy and Ivy are combined a bit now, but there's more individual variety.
-Larvae and Giant Moth were cut, well for one Larvae weren't enemies in the original but this list includes everything. There was literally only one moth in the original and all it did was fly around and poison you.
-G1 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G2 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G3 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G4 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G5 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Mr. X is in the game has has more role and mechanical depth within the game than ever before.
-Mr. X's Mutation is in the game and has more to it as well (he's been GREATLY reimagined in design and function).
-Brad Vickers makes a cameo, but his zombie isn't in this game (maybe due to something planned for REmake 3), however the zombies have more special variety types than the original did.

Just to break this down.

Great post, thanks for explanation!!!

CeeTee

May 29, 2018
I actually assumed zombie Brad would be cut, assuming they're going to do more with his character in R3make. Very nice to see he's not there, actually. That means more character development and story in the next remake.

Feb 16, 2018
There are holes in the RPD walls that seem to made by Nemesis. So far that's the only thing I've noticed.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It just dawned on me the release date is this Friday. I somehow spaced on that due to a stressful last few weeks. Ah man, fuck yeah.
I've seen some people say the release date was actually moved up a day to Thursday, but I haven't checked the validity of that

On Steam at least it unlocks at 9-11 PM PST on the 24th (I need to pay attention for when it changes here next time).

I think the review embargo was moved up from when it was originally planned though, the review embargo lifts tomorrow at 8 AM PST.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
On Steam at least it unlocks at 9-11 PM PST on the 24th (I need to pay attention for when it changes here next time).

I think the review embargo was moved up from when it was originally planned though, the review embargo lifts tomorrow at 8 AM PST.

Ah, so still Friday for me. Excited to read the reviews, I'm expecting good things.

CeeTee

May 29, 2018

It's generally a good thing that the embargo is being lifted so early, yeah?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so still Friday for me. Excited to read the reviews, I'm expecting good things.

Yeah, will be for most people. Valve is in PST time so in their database it appears as the 24th though, but in most regions it'll still be the 25th when it unlocks.

It's generally a good thing that the embargo is being lifted so early, yeah?

Definitely, and I know Capcom is very confident in it. We're now at 25 and a half hours until review embargo is lifted, that should be a fun topic.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I actually assumed zombie Brad would be cut, assuming they're going to do more with his character in R3make. Very nice to see he's not there, actually. That means more character development and story in the next remake.

Brad's highlights in the franchise were being a zombie in RE2 and being killed by Nemesis in RE3. I suppose not having him as a zombie in RE2 might allude to him have a bigger role in R3make, but I think that's unlikely. At best he will be killed in another way.

CeeTee

May 29, 2018
Brad's highlights in the franchise were being a zombie in RE2 and being killed by Nemesis in RE3. I suppose not having him as a zombie in RE2 might allude to him have a bigger role in R3make, but I think that's unlikely. At best he will be killed in another way.

Those are actually reasons to expand his character, even if it's dying in a more heroic way, for example (redemption for being such a chicken shit in RE1? Who are we kidding, probably not). I don't think he'll make it even halfway into the story, but I think it's a sign they have bigger plans for him to justify not having zombie brad in *this* game.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
All this moaning and groaning over a few cut things and you all don't even have enough context.

This is still going to be an incredible experience.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Those are actually reasons to expand his character, even if it's dying in a more heroic way, for example (redemption for being such a chicken shit in RE1? Who are we kidding, probably not). I don't think he'll make it even halfway into the story, but I think it's a sign they have bigger plans for him to justify not having zombie brad in *this* game.

That's a positive outlook. I'll take it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
So I'm going to do this since we're talking about it...

Here's every enemy in the original RE2:

9130c1e1991b7502827f453ed28bc071.png

Now to break this down in comparison to the remake:

-Zombies are in and have more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Lickers are in and have more detail and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Zombie dogs are in and have more detail and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Crows are in the game, but they're no longer enemies. In the original they broke through the windows of a single hall and flew around in circles.
-Marvin is in the game as a zombie. There's actually MORE special zombies like Marvin in the game I'll also mention, dynamic zombies for certain scenarios and characters.
-G-Type Adult is in the game and now is a regular enemy type, has a LOT more depth than the original.
-G-Type Young is in the game, it's attached to G-Type Adult like the original but reimagined.
-Large Roaches are in a game, but more of an environmental thing and occasional hazard than an enemy type (which they only appeared in a single room for Sherry as a hazard in the original, so pretty accurate).
-Giant Spiders are cut, though actual spiders do sometimes appear but not as an enemy.
-Giant Alligator is in the game.
-Evolved Lickers were cut, but there's a lot more depth and mechanical variety to the regular Lickers.
-Vines are in the game, but like the original they're more a hazard.
-Ivy is in the game and has more detail and mechanical depth than ever before. Poison Ivy and Ivy are combined a bit now, but there's more individual variety.
-Larvae and Giant Moth were cut, well for one Larvae weren't enemies in the original but this list includes everything. There was literally only one moth in the original and all it did was fly around and poison you.
-G1 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G2 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G3 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G4 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-G5 is in the game and has more variety, detail, and mechanical depth than ever before.
-Mr. X is in the game has has more role and mechanical depth within the game than ever before.
-Mr. X's Mutation is in the game and has more to it as well (he's been GREATLY reimagined in design and function).
-Brad Vickers makes a cameo, but his zombie isn't in this game (maybe due to something planned for REmake 3), however the zombies have more special variety types than the original did.

Just to break this down.
I'm left with a few questions though:

Can zombies throw up?
Are lickers really more mechanically in-depth? They seem a little static in their behavior to me.
Are dogs really more complex, as well? Don't they basically still just circle around and lunge at you from time to time?

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
All this moaning and groaning over a few cut things and you all don't even have enough context.

This is still going to be an incredible experience.
Yep. Gotta wait and see what happens.

It's a new game, with a new team. Deal with it. Things are gonna change. We'll have to see how this vision plays out by playing it. I love the spiders (and I have a fondness for the moth because I loved finally encountering it after pouring over pre-release concept art that was shown in magazines) from the old RE games, but we'll see what this team has cooked up. I can't wait to see their vision though. Just because you want something to be like it was (or how you want it) doesn't mean you're going to get it. Get over yourself. Some of ya'll get so caught up in your own head, it's wild. Go shovel snow for a few hours or something.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm left with a few questions though:

Can zombies throw up?
Are lickers really more mechanically in-depth? They seem a little static in their behavior to me.
Are dogs really more complex, as well? Don't they basically still just circle around and lunge at you from time to time?

I don't think they can, but the vomiting was always to get around the fact zombies couldn't get you in various situations, they were only really coded to vomit in situations they could not reach you, and they have other methods for that now.

Yes they are... Okay, so to talk about Lickers for a second, but I'll only focus on one thing. Lickers now are kinda' like Necromorphs in the sense they can travel through vents in the levels. Like you can escape them, but hear them crawling around in vents, and they can show up in areas with vents if you're not careful, they can't see but can hear and are rather vicious and have a lot in their arsenal (and trust me, Lickers are VICIOUS in this game and are a thing you'll want to avoid when you can, they have designed them to be more avoidable if you're careful than the other enemies, but to be killing machines if alerted).

Dogs have some more behaviors, I won't fully get into it since they aren't revealed yet, but they use some "pack" behavoir... You'll see what I mean soon when you play.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this sounds good. Are both campaigns pretty much the same in terms of content or do we visit different locations with each character?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this sounds good. Are both campaigns pretty much the same in terms of content or do we visit different locations with each character?
So there's two sides to this. Firstly, the same three main general locations are visited by both characters, IE RPD Police Station, Sewers, Laboratory. However, even in these there's differences on two sides. First as an example there's some areas only one or the other character do or go into in each location, such as in RPD I believe it's only Leon gets the Club Key, only Claire gets the Heart key, and so how they progress through RPD is quite different. However, both also have unique areas to them, like only Leon goes to Kendo's Gunshop, only Claire goes to the Orphanage, only Leon fights the Gator, only Claire fights G4, etc.

However, on top of this, though the game has no A/B Campaigns per say, there are changes based on who you play as first and second. Only minor things, like who you play as first goes through RPD's Front Entrance and meets with Marvin, Elliot, etc., whoever you play as second has to go around to the back of RPD with a longer city route and enter RPD through the back entrance, and they don't experience the Marvin/Elliot stuff but something else, that stuff isn't character specific but depends on who you play as first and second.

But the characters do go through the main areas differently, have unique areas to them, and also who you play as first and second makes some changes (not too many, but a few notable ones).

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
So there's two sides to this. Firstly, the same three main general locations are visited by both characters, IE RPD Police Station, Sewers, Laboratory. However, even in these there's differences on two sides. First as an example there's some areas only one or the other character do or go into in each location, such as in RPD I believe it's only Leon gets the Club Key, only Claire gets the Heart key, and so how they progress through RPD is quite different. However, both also have unique areas to them, like only Leon goes to Kendo's Gunshop, only Claire goes to the Orphanage, only Leon fights the Gator, only Claire fights G4, etc.

However, on top of this, though the game has no A/B Campaigns per say, there are changes based on who you play as first and second. Only minor things, like who you play as first goes through RPD's Front Entrance and meets with Marvin, Elliot, etc., whoever you play as second has to go around to the back of RPD with a longer city route and enter RPD through the back entrance, and they don't experience the Marvin/Elliot stuff but someone else, that stuff isn't character specific but depends on who you play as first and second.

But the characters do go through the main areas differently, have unique areas to them, and also who you play as first and second makes some changes (not too many, but a few notable ones).

Dusk can I ask , how do the ivy come across in this game ? The screenshot posted is terrible I assume in game they are more in line with like the g mutant etc

Oct 25, 2017

However, on top of this, though the game has no A/B Campaigns per say, there are changes based on who you play as first and second. Only minor things, like who you play as first goes through RPD's Front Entrance and meets with Marvin, Elliot, etc., whoever you play as second has to go around to the back of RPD with a longer city route and enter RPD through the back entrance, and they don't experience the Marvin/Elliot stuff but someone else, that stuff isn't character specific but depends on who you play as first and second.

Nice. So there still is a lot of replay value. Thanks for all the info!

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

However, on top of this, though the game has no A/B Campaigns per say, there are changes based on who you play as first and second. Only minor things, like who you play as first goes through RPD's Front Entrance and meets with Marvin, Elliot, etc., whoever you play as second has to go around to the back of RPD with a longer city route and enter RPD through the back entrance, and they don't experience the Marvin/Elliot stuff but something else, that stuff isn't character specific but depends on who you play as first and second.

My only fear Dusk that I'd like cleared up, do Items we pick up in one playthrough affect the other? As in, pouches and stuff like that

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
First as an example there's some areas only one or the other character do or go into in each location, such as in RPD I believe it's only Leon gets the Club Key, only Claire gets the Heart key, and so how they progress through RPD is quite different.
I really do not like this, tbh. The joy of RPD in the original is exactly how big and confusing it can feel, and the satisfaction of finally getting the next key. Knowing that they basically shorten the route for each character in some attempt to make both unique just feels like they're linearizing the experience more than necessary.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to leave most everything else to other people, but I'll answer these four things.

What about HUNK's mini campaign, any info there?

HUNK's scenario is still pretty similar to his original incarnation, you start in the sewers and have to escape through the front of RPD. Essentially kinda' play the game in reverse, but designed with very different enemy/item placement, and made to be a lot harder. It's kinda' just REmake 2's version of what Fourth Survivor was in the original, but things can get pretty chaotic.

Dusk can I ask , how do the ivy come across in this game ? The screenshot posted is terrible I assume in game they are more in line with like the g mutant etc
I like them, this is a subjective thing and really best to let people form their thoughts when facing them really. I kinda' like how they've interpreted the Ivy's and Plant 43 though.

My only fear Dusk that I'd like cleared up, do Items we pick up in one playthrough affect the other? As in, pouches and stuff like that
I don't believe so, which is also why they haven't advertised this as A/B campaigns because it's not the zapping system from the original and they knew if they said A/B campaigns were in, what that entails. This absolutely is not A/B campaigns, just who you play as first and second has some differences.

I really do not like this, tbh. The joy of RPD in the original is exactly how big and confusing it can feel, and the satisfaction of finally getting the next key. Knowing that they basically shorten the route for each character in some attempt to make both unique just feels like they're linearizing the experience more than necessary.

If your worry is about linearizing RPD, don't be. It's more open than it's ever been with a lot more routes and things feeding into each other.

CeeTee

May 29, 2018
When you say the RPD is more open, does that mean the puzzles can be done in a vast amount of orders?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
When you say the RPD is more open, does that mean the puzzles can be done in a vast amount of orders?
Multiple ways. Firstly, there's a lot more puzzles in REmake 2 than other RE games (more than any other RE game, and definitely more than RE2, which was actually light on puzzles for a classic RE game), but they've designed it so the puzzles are often tied to optional side things you don't need to do. However, the objectives you have do have puzzle elements, and can be tackled in different orders, like for Claire's later RPD sequence she needs to collect four panel pieces through RPD, and all four can be collected in any order but have some steps of how to obtain each of them. However, as you're collecting these pieces, Mr. X is also roaming around. RPD in pure size is bigger, lots of new rooms and routes through the place, can spend more time strategizing routes, how to tackle things with the map, the closest way to get to a save room, what areas you've cleared of normal zombies/Lickers and which routes are more dangerous, etc.

So the objectives are both more open at various points, but the route-planning is a thing, and even though Mr. X is a consistent threat during this slice of the game, RPD is big and he's only one person, and you can sorta' prepare for him by plotting out routes, which works since RPD now is a lot more winding than it once was with a lot of areas feeding into each other.

kerrang

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
So no rouge mode unlocked after beating the game? Looks like its'a DLC stuff or just an abandoned idea leaving some leftover in the final version.
It would be very disappointing if its the latter case.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So no rouge mode unlocked after beating the game? Looks like its'a DLC stuff or just an abandoned idea leaving some leftover in the final version.
It would be very disappointing if its the latter case.
My personal suspicion right now is it's going to be released as a post-release free content update.

Reasons for this suspicion:
-Capcom in a November interview said they were "undecided" still on Game Modes, and in interviews made within the last couple weeks have hinted they're not against the idea of DLC, and have said there'd be "more" RE2 news on the 25th, the day the game launched.
-In the datamine, people found signs of Rogue Mode being DLC, in the game's files the BGM files for Rogue that are within the demo label them as "DLC".
-In the 2018 Capcom fiscal report, they mentioned for single player games a method to keep people to hold onto their single-player game copies rather than selling them or renting them or something, which they first tested with Not a Hero in RE7. The Bloody Palace in DMCV is post-launch DLC, and I think Rogue may be here as well. IE, part of their strategy going forward I think will include free content updates post-release, not for crucial game elements but still things people can look forward to. Allows them more dev time on it and to release the actual game that's already completed while also providing incentive for people to hold onto copies again and have a reason to go back to the game a bit down the line.
-Frankly I know they were crunching some things and maybe just decided it'd be best for it to have more time in the oven and there'd be benefits to it.

To be seen really, I know the Day 1 Patch for REmake 2 is supposed to be between 550-600 MB, but I think there Rogue might be a post-launch free content update or paid DLC, to be seen.