• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hmm so the car crash takes place pretty early if Nemmy still has the mask on. I wonder if Brad is dead by this point given he's most likely the first character you meet.

Nemesis?
tenor.gif

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I can not wait to play in the RPD. I am cheesing at Nemesis busting through the shower and 3rd floor walls.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they stopped.
RE4 had a unique death animations for pretty much every enemy.
Then after that they just dropped it for no reason.
There was a reason, with RE4 they had to start censoring the games for global release. RE4 had to make a different version of RE4 for several territories like Germany and the like, which I think RE5 started cutting down on it just so they wouldn't have rating board problems on a global release scale.

But they're trending towards being more violent again starting with RE7 and making the censored version anyways for global releases. And I think death scenes may be properly back for RE3, if only because there's no way this screenshot isn't of a death scene:

IMG_20200114_112450.jpg

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Remake 2 had quite a few unique death animations, what are you talking about?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I'm not one of the people that was that upset about Spiders being gone from RE2R, but it's crazy how they can get Hunters in and I believe Dusk said Drain Demios, but can't scan spiders in lol.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

The wait is killing me, Capcom's output has been immaculate this generation.

Between Breath of Fire 6, Dead Rising 3-4, SF5, MvC:I, Revelations 2, Umbrella Corps, the quiet death of Sengoku Basara the varying quality of some of their remasters/ports (many great, but many others have been lackluster/poor) and the cancellation of DR5/closure of Capcom Vancouver, , I wouldn't go quite that far. They've done some incredible things, but overall they've been very half-and-half this gen.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
I never got to play the original and know it's treated more as an action game, but this doesn't spook me like RE7 and RE2 did. Nemesis seems a lil dorky. Mr X seems more terrifying

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not one of the people that was that upset about Spiders being gone from RE2R, but it's crazy how they can get Hunters in and I believe Dusk said Drain Demios, but can't scan spiders in lol.
I wonder if they can just get a real life spider and scan it then scale it accordingly.

I really hope spiders return. If they don't I will be disapointed even more than 2.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I never got to play the original and know it's treated more as an action game, but this doesn't spook me like RE7 and RE2 did. Nemesis seems a lil dorky. Mr X seems more terrifying
Something I've noticed in this trailer is they purposefully don't show Nemesis dynamically stalking you. Watching the trailer a few times, it's clear Flamethrower Nemesis is a boss battle you fight probably a bit before the subway train escape attempt. We see one shot of Nemmy in the streets with his tentacles, and cutscene shots of him from the opening of the game, but they kinda' purposefully are avoiding showing how he stalks you in Raccoon City streets I noticed.

This trailer was cut to show off a lot more setpiece scenes, guns, and the like, which is fine as it's a great trailer. But I also feel they want to keep Nemesis stalking the player a bit of a surprise for the moment.

The equivalent for RE7 I think would be if they showed the Garage boss fight and some more action scenes with him like when he picks you up from the bathroom and bursts through the wall, rather than how he works when you're exploring the Baker Estate.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

They appear in like three rooms in the original, compared to the Hunters, Drain Deimos and Brainsuckers, which are way more ubiquitous in RE3. Supposedly RE2's development was more troubled than RE3's, which if true would explain a lot. There might still be cuts yet. There's no guarantee the crows, Hunter Gammas, Brainsuckers or Sliding Worms will all make it in.

I wonder if they can just get a real life spider and scan it then scale it accordingly.

I really hope spiders return. If they don't I will be disapointed even more than 2.

They could, but I don't think that's the main issue. The issue was more likely the workload (animations, AI, player interaction) and working them into the game's design. Since they were barely in the original, only appearing in 3-4 rooms with about 6-7 of them in the entire game, it's possible they just didn't think the workload was worth it vs. spending that time and effort on something else.

I can see them not being in this simply bc they weren't in RE2. Drain Deimos and Brainsuckers function much in the same way (wall/ceiling-crawlers, grabbing attacks) so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave either or both a poison spit attack and just leave the spiders out again.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
They appear in like three rooms in the original, compared to the Hunters, Drain Deimos and Brainsuckers, which are way more ubiquitous in RE3. Supposedly RE2's development was more troubled than RE3's, which if true would explain a lot. There might still be cuts yet. There's no guarantee the crows, Hunter Gammas, Brainsuckers or Sliding Worms will all make it in.
For the record, Worms have been confirmed in since the OPM article.

I expect Crows will be cut, and Hunter Gammas will be seen. I honestly also am fine if they cut either Drain Deimos or the Brain Sucker, but not both, they're rather samey to each other honestly.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will make Nemesis create traps for you in this one. Would be cool if Nemesis is much more stealthy compared to Mr X. Would be way scarier this way.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I expect Crows will be cut, and Hunter Gammas will be seen. I honestly also am fine if they cut either Drain Deimos or the Brain Sucker, but not both, they're rather samey to each other honestly.

I forgot about that. Are we sure the Worms specifically were confirmed, or is it possible they meant the Gravedigger? I expect crows will be cut as well, since they weren't in 2 and would have the same issues here (how to implement them, no assets to reuse, barely present in the original).

I hope either DD or BS aren't cut, since the game needs the enemy variety, though I can totally see it happening. Since they're so similar though, like the Hunters, they shouldn't be that hard to implement vs. Spiders/Crows. Just give them 1-2 attacks that the other doesn't have. Poison spit, for example. The remakes haven't given Blue Herbs much reason to continue existing considering the cut Spiders and the change to the Ivies in 2.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Didn't you answer your own question? Its not spooky as the other ones because its treated more as an action game, thats why you have a dodge and why Nemesis has a flamethrower instead of just slowly walking around.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about that. Are we sure the Worms specifically were confirmed, or is it possible they meant the Gravedigger? I expect crows will be cut as well, since they weren't in 2 and would have the same issues here (how to implement them, no assets to reuse, barely present in the original).

I hope either DD or BS aren't cut, since the game needs the enemy variety, though I can totally see it happening. Since they're so similar though, like the Hunters, they shouldn't be that hard to implement vs. Spiders/Crows. Just give them 1-2 attacks that the other doesn't have. Poison spit, for example.
I think either the DD or BS are in. The sewers and the Power Plant screens both show insect next type gunk growing on them, which I will bet is because of the Drain Deimos/Brain Suckers.

resident-evil-3-remake-sewer.jpg
IMG_20200114_112454.jpg

Something's creating that insect gunk.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Do you think spiders will have a chance in this remake?

I remember spiders were quite prominent in the clock tower section (e.g.: many small ones on the first floor, the spider nest in the second floor). They would have to change this area quite a bit if spiders are gone, imo.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think either the DD or BS are in. The sewers and the Power Plant screens both show insect next type gunk growing on them, which I will bet is because of the Drain Deimos/Brain Suckers.

I expect one of them will make it, since they're such a big part of the original. I'm just worried about their counterpart. Modern RE keeps struggling with enemy variety (and some of the more disappointing changes in the remakes).

Oct 28, 2017
Something I've noticed in this trailer is they purposefully don't show Nemesis dynamically stalking you. Watching the trailer a few times, it's clear Flamethrower Nemesis is a boss battle you fight probably a bit before the subway train escape attempt. We see one shot of Nemmy in the streets with his tentacles, and cutscene shots of him from the opening of the game, but they kinda' purposefully are avoiding showing how he stalks you in Raccoon City streets I noticed.

This trailer was cut to show off a lot more setpiece scenes, guns, and the like, which is fine as it's a great trailer. But I also feel they want to keep Nemesis stalking the player a bit of a surprise for the moment.

The equivalent for RE7 I think would be if they showed the Garage boss fight and some more action scenes with him like when he picks you up from the bathroom and bursts through the wall, rather than how he works when you're exploring the Baker Estate.
Exactly how it should be. Capcom ruined a good chunk of RE2 with what they showed off pre release. Mr X's first appearance could have been so damn effective if they hadn't spoiled it. I hope we see zero Nemesis gameplay before release.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I expect one of them will make it, since they're such a big part of the original. I'm just worried about their counterpart. Modern RE keeps struggling with enemy variety (and some of the more disappointing changes in the remakes).
Wait, I always thought Brain Suckers and Drain Deimos were the same thing ?

They are very, very similar in-game.

Drain Deimos:
latest

Brain Sucker:
latest
latest

(funnily enough their colors were swapped in their in-game and concept art forms).

They look slightly different, and the Brain Sucker can stand-up to grapple and shoot poison. But honestly they could be combined into the same enemy and most probably wouldn't know except the diehards.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty weird there isn't much enemies feedback. It was really good in 2. It seems more like 6 and 7 to an extent where there isn't much feedback. That shotgun blast really look underwhelming.

It seems they are altering the story significantly too for this one. Curious how it's going to end up like.
Yea that shotgun blast is a bad cut to put in.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weird there isn't much enemies feedback. It was really good in 2. It seems more like 6 and 7 to an extent where there isn't much feedback. That shotgun blast really look underwhelming.

It seems they are altering the story significantly too for this one. Curious how it's going to end up like.

To be fair, the spread on that shotgun blast, it doesnt look like anything hit the zombie.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope Jill is the RE8 protagonist.

Been forever since she got any real play in the series. There was that on rail shooter and Revelations while Chris had two starring roles in 5 and 6.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They need to keep the drain deimos so they can do that "stand up and attack" barrage, that i think would be intense and effective considering the camera and the way you control Jill.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

I hope either DD or BS aren't cut, since the game needs the enemy variety, though I can totally see it happening. Since they're so similar though, like the Hunters, they shouldn't be that hard to implement vs. Spiders/Crows. Just give them 1-2 attacks that the other doesn't have. Poison spit, for example. The remakes haven't given Blue Herbs much reason to continue existing considering the cut Spiders and the change to the Ivies in 2.
I'm not under the impression that crows will be cut like they were in REmake 2 because they're hard to implement so much as nothing's added by having them be there (very rare, showing up in only one hallway in the original RE2, go down in a single bullet yet are also small flying targets where auto-aim isn't part of the default controls). Spiders getting cut would likely boil down to clashing with the look/tone they're going for once again (keeping the giant gator in REmake 2 aside) rather than logistics issues.
Man, I hope Jill is the RE8 protagonist.

Been forever since she got any real play in the series. There was that on rail shooter and Revelations while Chris had two starring roles in 5 and 6.
And one of the two DLCs that closed out the story for 7 in Chris' case.