• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Still not seeing Jill's Samurai Edge, but the game is looking good. Nemesis looks massive and frightening. The Grave Digger looks pretty freaky. I'm also guessing the Hunter Gamma is being shown in a very similar area to where the Grave Digger is, because it seems odd to make its open mouth very similar to the original Grave Digger's open mouth.

maxresdefault.jpg

SLJ6onY.jpg

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Still not seeing Jill's Samurai Edge, but the game is looking good. Nemesis looks massive and frightening. The Grave Digger looks pretty freaky. I'm also guessing the Hunter Gamma is being shown in a very similar area to where the Grave Digger is, because it seems odd to make its open mouth very similar to the original Grave Digger's open mouth.

maxresdefault.jpg

SLJ6onY.jpg
Its not the Hunter gamma. You can see the same skin bumps/ pimples on the grave diggers body in the background.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
REmake 2 was damn near perfect. Other than the cut content from the lab section coming back, which won't happen, the only thing I wanted was a campaign item and enemy location randomizer. A handful of locations for enemies in each area would keep players perpetually tense, because as soon as you start doing speed runs and memorize their locations and the required jukes to breeze by them, the game felt neutered. If they could logically rearrange key item locations and scramble which doors are locked, the game would be infinitely repayable with the tension levels remaining just as high as they were during the magical, first playthrough. You're back to having to scavenge and explore the game while not knowing what to expect around every corner, or when to conserve or rely on your more powerful weapons. Sigh.

I have no reason to expect that feature in RE3, but I still wish it would become a reality in either of these games.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Its not the Hunter gamma. You can see the same skin bumps/ pimples on the grave diggers body in the background.
Yeah, I believe that what we are seeing in those sewer shots is the Grave Digger. They've just changed the design a little, which looks a bit like they mixed it with original Gamma Hunters. Maybe there are more than one now too.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they combined the Gammas with the Grave Digger and made them a normal enemy like they did with the G Adults in RE2r

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Elsewhere, someone pointed out we'd actually seen the new enemy before on the conspiracy wall but from a side view angle:
biohazard-re3-remake-0726233.jpg

So though I thought it was the Hunter Gamma as I posted before, but after some though I've concluded I think it is the Grave Digger, or at least a worm enemy.

The reason why is I remembered Tremors 2 existed.

So Grave Digger from RE3 was always a big reference to Tremors:

12a6b052b0598522b6f076b177b95399.png

Now the thing is, in Tremors 2 the Graboids (the name of the monster worms in the Tremors series) evolves into these things:

latest.png

I actually think Capcom's decision here is just to make the enemy a big Tremors 2 reference (which Grave Digger was always a big Tremors reference, so that's fine I suppose). I do wonder if we'll still get a giant worm as the main one or if they're like the G-Adults in RE2 and been turned more into a regular enemy, but I'm actually highly amused they may have just decided to make the enemies a big love letter to the Tremors films.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Elsewhere, someone pointed out we'd actually seen the new enemy before on the conspiracy wall but from a side view angle:

So though I thought it was the Hunter Gamma after some though, I've concluded I think it is the Grave Digger, or at least a worm enemy.

Now the thing is, in Tremors 2 the Graboids (the name of the monster worms in the Tremors series) evolves into these things:

latest.png

I actually think Capcom's decision here is just to make the enemy a big Tremors 2 reference (which Grave Digger was always a big Tremors reference, so that's fine I suppose). I do wonder if we'll still get a giant worm as the main one or if they're like the G-Adults in RE2 and been turned more into a regular enemy, but I'm actually highly amused they may have just decided to make the enemies a big love letter to the Tremors films.

From Grave Digger stuck in the park to Thicc Shriekers moving about the city to Assblaster attempting to make its glorious escape?

I wonder if we'll get the little worms too that could take inspiration from the prequel.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

So though I thought it was the Hunter Gamma as I posted before, but after some though I've concluded I think it is the Grave Digger, or at least a worm enemy.

latest.png

It would also look a lot less ridiculous then the original Grave Digger.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

latest.png

yep, literally what I thought of.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how good these games look; it was hard to believe RE2 looked like it did on my base ps4. Character models are something else.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Bit of a stretch to say we're "super into gore", it's just that the series up until 5 wasn't afraid to punish you for failure by seeing a pretty horrible death sequence that sticks with you in order to remind you not to fail again. We just want that back, instead of say... getting hit by a rocket and Jill falling over dead. If they're trying to push for realism with RE Engine... yeah. It'd be a lot worse.

And clearly Capcom is "super into gore", considering all the work they put into RE2's zombie gore effects which are just amazing.

Edit:

This, basically. If you can dish it out, you should be able to take it. And given how much love and care they put into RE2's zombies, why not the player too?

Yeah, I kind of miss the horrible deaths. It was a pretty good motivator to not die in a survival horror game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Imo a demo is not needed, this time its obvious what the game will be like [ā€¦]
I need to know if they fixed the mouse aiming.
Resident Evil 2's aiming is terrible because they have deadzones and negative acceleration on the mouse input.
In fact, most of the other RE games have similar issues. It's like they think third-person games are supposed to control badly or something. Resident Evil 7 did not have these problems.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Resident Evil 2's aiming is terrible because they have deadzones and negative acceleration on the mouse input.
In fact, most of the other RE games have similar issues. It's like they think third-person games are supposed to control badly or something. Resident Evil 7 did not have these problems.

Playing Resident Evil 2 with a controller was a true revelation. The aiming is so much better and since you can walk at the speed you want, it makes the Licker encounters a lot more tense.

Oct 28, 2017
Is the gameplay going to be similar to RE2, with very resistant zombies, or is it going to be more action oriented?

We know there's a dodge system that appears to have been recycled from the one in Rev 2, as they reused the animation from it. In that game you press an action button plus swipe the analog stick towards the direction you want to dodge to. If I had to guess, gameplay is probably gonna be just like REmake 2's gameplay, but with a higher enemy count and more agressive enemies, to make full use of the dodge system.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2 was damn near perfect. Other than the cut content from the lab section coming back, which won't happen, the only thing I wanted was a campaign item and enemy location randomizer. A handful of locations for enemies in each area would keep players perpetually tense, because as soon as you start doing speed runs and memorize their locations and the required jukes to breeze by them, the game felt neutered. If they could logically rearrange key item locations and scramble which doors are locked, the game would be infinitely repayable with the tension levels remaining just as high as they were during the magical, first playthrough. You're back to having to scavenge and explore the game while not knowing what to expect around every corner, or when to conserve or rely on your more powerful weapons. Sigh.

I have no reason to expect that feature in RE3, but I still wish it would become a reality in either of these games.
I find developing an understanding of where everything is and how everything works then making use of that knowledge to play increasingly more competently far more satisfying than arbitrary randomization. Pretty much how I look at any single-player experience. More entertaining to watch others demonstrate such mastery as well.

Even with regarding the original RE3 as a personal favorite, I consider its item and enemy randomization one of its few negatives.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I find developing an understanding of where everything is and how everything works then making use of that knowledge to play increasingly more competently far more satisfying than arbitrary randomization. Pretty much how I look at any single-player experience. More entertaining to watch others demonstrate such mastery as well.

Even with regarding the original RE3 as a personal favorite, I consider its item and enemy randomization one of its few negatives.
Different opinions are allowed! I'm not that into watching others play, so in the case with RE games, I've felt the familiarity caused the tension of playing to completely disappear, and I'd say that tension is my biggest draw to the game. Ironically, getting better at the new Resident Evil makes it less enjoyable for me.

I'd really love REmake 3 to have an option (probably after beating the game once) for an overhauled randomizing engine, where even key items could be found in different locations in different order, which can surely be accomplished by a simple algorithm.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Randomisers are bad and i'm glad there no longer in the games. They ruin level design by randomising hand picked placements. It's a trash feature.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Different opinions are allowed! I'm not that into watching others play, so in the case with RE games, I've felt the familiarity caused the tension of playing to completely disappear, and I'd say that tension is my biggest draw to the game. Ironically, getting better at the new Resident Evil makes it less enjoyable for me.

I'd really love REmake 3 to have an option (probably after beating the game once) for an overhauled randomizing engine, where even key items could be found in different locations in different order, which can surely be accomplished by a simple algorithm.
As an option would be fine, could also have additional unlockables tied to beating the game in that mode.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Randomisers are bad and i'm glad there no longer in the games. They ruin level design by randomising hand picked placements. It's a trash feature.
Yeesh. Personally, I don't particularly find any sentimentality or craft in finding the "hand picked placement" of a particular key in a particular room that's behind a security gate that requires a spark plug, which is obtained after finding a valve to crank water, which was under a library bookshelf, which needed a lever to move. The order of those things and their specific location don't impart any lore or story building. The notes and environmental details do all the heavy lifting in that regard. The locked doors are wholly a gameplay facet of the series that drives exploration and engages to player in a maze-like puzzle. Unfortunately, that puzzle loses its charm once the solution is revealed, and it merely becomes rote.

The uneasy feeling of exploring the RCPD and surrounding areas the first time is the highlight of RE1/2/3, and the same goes for the subsequent games and their respective locales. That tension completely vanishes once you've committed enemy and item placement to memory, which is a prerequisite for obtaining the highest rankings. A randomizing function that could take you through the same areas with the same crafted story elements, but now in a remixed path with unexpected enemies, would allow players to retain that feeling of tension regardless of how many times they've played before.

Last edited:

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I still can't wait to see what the RPD section is like in this version. Idk, for whatever reason I am intrigued as hell to revisit and see if it has been fleshed out.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Survival horror isnt supposed to feel amazing either. RE6, sure, but Re2make is going for actual horror and when the gunplay is immaculate, the fear disappears.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. Personally, I don't particularly find any sentimentality or craft in finding the "hand picked placement" of a particular key in a particular room that's behind a security gate that requires a spark plug, which is obtained after finding a valve to crank water, which was under a library bookshelf, which needed a lever to move. The order of those things and their specific location don't impart any lore or story building. The notes and environmental details do all the heavy lifting in that regard. The locked doors are wholly a gameplay facet of the series that drives exploration and engages to player in a maze-like puzzle. Unfortunately, that puzzle loses its charm once the solution is revealed, and it merely becomes rote.

The uneasy feeling of exploring the RCPD and surrounding areas the first time is the highlight of RE1/2/3, and the same goes for the subsequent games and their respective locales. That tension completely vanishes once you've committed enemy and item placement to memory, which is a prerequisite for obtaining the highest rankings. A randomizing function that could take you through the same areas with the same crafted story elements, but now in a remixed path with unexpected enemies, would allow players to retain that feeling of tension regardless of how many times they've played before.
Yall realize randomizers are liked as extra modes right, for replayability. And not just for items.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nah, some of the zombies and other monsters as well as Mr X have them. This video has some examples though it's not very good at showing them, also possible spoilers depending on where you are.

I personally don't need to see those things, it was graphic enough for me. Each to their own I guess XD

Meh, one of the few disappointments with REmake 2. The original on PS1 felt more brutal with the deaths at times.

At the very least, I hope REmake 3 gets rid of the awful screen blinking when you die. It's annoying as hell.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Survival horror isnt supposed to feel amazing either. RE6, sure, but Re2make is going for actual horror and when the gunplay is immaculate, the fear disappears.
Don't make excuses for bad controls.
This is not an intentional design decision like RE4's inability to move and shoot at the same time.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Screens looked guuuhhhreat. Cannot wait to play this. I loved REmake2 and played it to death.

One thing I hope they added is some HUD options. On or Off in Remake2 blew. I hated those obnoxious floating button prompts but the crosshair is necessary.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't make excuses for bad controls.
This is not an intentional design decision like RE4's inability to move and shoot at the same time.
Im not, just mentioning that since there are people who think every game with a gun should have immaculate controls/shooting fit for an online shooter regardless of genre.

Though i havent played re2make on pc, so i dont know just how fucked mouse controls are

Sargerus

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

latest.png

CAPCOM needs to make a Tremors game ASAP.