• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2017
US
I need the return of the red barrels and other environmental hazards.
RE3 introduced them. In the remake of RE2, the only thing resembling it was the one used on the mutated croc and it wasn't optional.

Fuck yea, I love shooting exploding barrels in games and with the insane gore in REMake 2, that'd be wild.

They should steal that Evil Within match mechanic since TEW2 dropped it anyway.

Manhunter

Mar 20, 2019
Lol, i found that on reddit. Seems like they told us about RE3 years ago.

ELWXWaiXsAAMVD7

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Still can't believe this is happening soon. I always thought if 3 Remake happens it will be developed by REmake 2 team and will be out in 2021 at earliest.

Capcom killing it 4 years in a row.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me wonder when Capcom decided that they would remake RE3 as well. Was it right and that moment or was it later?

Like half a year after the RE2 video. RE3 was greenlit and started development a few months after RE7 came out in 2017, but it was in the talks and planning during 2016 while RE7 was still being worked on. RE3's original director (who's currently a freelancer) was invited to direct the project but ended up declining, but I'm aware people at Capcom and him met multiple times and the direction for the RE3 Remake was talked about before it was greenlit, they only greenlit it when they had picked a direction to go with it and it was ready to start development. The title was conceived partially because RE2 REmake was happening, and that would leave RE3 as the only mainline RE game without an easily portable version for future-proofing (while they don't do much with it, Code Veronica does have an MT Frameworks version), plus developing both around the same frame of time had more benefits than if they chose to remake RE3 down the line. Many exaggerate how much of RE2 is in RE3, but if they're going to reimagine Raccoon City doing both around the same time helps.

If anyone's a bit curious about what RE3 tomorrow will look like, something I'll mention is that the talks about direction did decide on a more in-depth Raccoon City. And you will be seeing a few concoctions and mixtures of elements at play here. REmake 2 didn't pull much from RE1.5 (though it did reference some concept art for RE2), but REmake 3 pulls more from both of it's original concepts that weren't made, and even elements that were present in Umbrella Chronicles (and in extension due to this, some things from Outbreak). I don't know what bits the trailer shows tomorrow, but I will say right now the RE3 REmake is more experimental than RE2's and they're taking more of the whole of what RE3 worked with over the years, partially at the choice of the original director. Kamiya never really liked 1.5 and wanted the new team to do their own thing, and Aoyama originally wanted RE3 to be a different more open game but thinks in the process of remaking they should both build off what people loved and expand. And the teams kinda' followed that while also doing their own takes on things of course.

So kinda' get ready for that.

Manhunter

Mar 20, 2019
Like half a year after the RE2 video. RE3 was greenlit and started development a few months after RE7 came out in 2017, but it was in the talks and planning during 2016 while RE7 was still being worked on. RE3's original director (who's currently a freelancer) was invited to direct the project ended up declining, but I'm aware they met and decided the direction for the RE3 Remake multiple times before it was greenlit and picked a direction. The title was conceived partially because RE2 REmake was happening, and that would leave RE3 as the only mainline RE game without an easily portable version (while they don't do much with it, Code Veronica does have an MT Frameworks version), plus developing both around the same frame of time had more benefits than if they chose to remake RE3 down the line.

If anyone's a bit curious about what RE3 tomorrow will look like, something I'll mention is that the talks about direction did decide on a more in-depth Raccoon City. And you will be seeing a few concoctions and mixtures of elements at play here. REmake 2 didn't pull much from RE1.5 (though it did reference some concept art for RE2), but REmake 3 pulls more from both of it's original concepts that weren't made, and even elements that were present in Umbrella Chronicles (and in extension due to this, some things from Outbreak). I don't know what bits the trailer shows tomorrow, but I will say right now the RE3 REmake is more experimental than RE2's and they're taking more of the whole of what RE3 worked with over the years, partially at the choice of the original director. Kamiya never really liked 1.5 and wanted the new team to do their own thing, and Aoyama originally wanted RE3 to be a different more open game but thinks in the process of remaking they should both build off what people loved and expand. And the teams kinda' followed that while also doing their own takes on things of course.

Hello Dusk, do you have any info about release date? Your expectations?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Hello Dusk, do you have any info about release date? Your expectations?
I don't know anything about what the marketing firm or the higher-ups choose, most of what I heard are development stuff. Which is fine by me, I find that stuff more interesting than stuff that'll be publicly made available later anyways (though RE2 had more development talks and videos than usual, so maybe RE3 will follow suite?). Like the stuff i'm saying is stuff I've known for a while, if I was okay with leaking it then (which I wasn't for various reasons) I could've said what I just said right now a year ago as I knew it then as well. The recent decisions from the publishing side of Capcom, like when trailers drop or when the game releases, is beyond me.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If they leave out the unnecessary commas in "This is my, last escape.." I will riot!

RIOT

Oct 30, 2017
Like half a year after the RE2 video. RE3 was greenlit and started development a few months after RE7 came out in 2017, but it was in the talks and planning during 2016 while RE7 was still being worked on. RE3's original director (who's currently a freelancer) was invited to direct the project but ended up declining, but I'm aware people at Capcom and him met multiple times and the direction for the RE3 Remake was talked about before it was greenlit, they only greenlit it when they had picked a direction to go with it and it was ready to start development. The title was conceived partially because RE2 REmake was happening, and that would leave RE3 as the only mainline RE game without an easily portable version for future-proofing (while they don't do much with it, Code Veronica does have an MT Frameworks version), plus developing both around the same frame of time had more benefits than if they chose to remake RE3 down the line. Many exaggerate how much of RE2 is in RE3, but if they're going to reimagine Raccoon City doing both around the same time helps.

Yeah.... I think RE3R will easily be the perfect and best RE game ever made, taking full advantage of Raccoon City and Nemesis plus the little tweaks toward more action vibes like the original RE3 would totally guarantee that spot for it.

I hope for a release date no more further than June.

Manhunter

Mar 20, 2019
I don't know anything about what the marketing firm or the higher-ups choose, most of what I heard are development stuff. Which is fine by me, I find that stuff more interesting than stuff that'll be publicly made available later anyways (though RE2 had more development talks and videos than usual, so maybe RE3 will follow suite?). Like the stuff i'm saying is stuff I've known for a while, if I was okay with leaking it then (which I wasn't for various reasons) I could've said what I just said right now a year ago as I knew it then as well. The recent decisions from the publishing side of Capcom chooses, like when trailers drop or when the game releases, is beyond me.

I understand. Thank you for answer. Tomorrow is a big day. :))

Diodejenero

Jan 18, 2018
United States

Super interesting! Thanks for the info as always. Would it be safe to assume that tonally the games share some DNA? Seems like Capcom is going for a more horror focus with the Remakes, at least based off of Resident Evil 2 which had a bunch of action but you could tell horror was a main focus.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

So it's more of a loose Remake then a straight Remake ? Do you know if it's still narrative-focused ?

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
and that would leave RE3 as the only mainline RE game without an easily portable version (while they don't do much with it, Code Veronica does have an MT Frameworks version)
I'm curious about this and not sure if you can answer, but does this mean the original releases would be difficult to port? Is that the reason there hasn't been a classic trilogy release when Capcom otherwise seems very on board with that for other past releases? Does this also mean that one would be unlikely? I'd have thought that'd be relatively easy and cheap to do but I know exactly nothing about game development lol

It'd be a little disappointing since I don't feel like these remakes obsolete the originals and I assume I'm far from alone in that? But at least emulation is really easy these days.

In any case those RE3 details do sound interesting and I'm excited for tomorrow

Diodejenero

Jan 18, 2018
United States
It'd be a little disappointing since I don't feel like these remakes obsolete the originals and I assume I'm far from alone in that? But at least emulation is really easy these days.

I think the general consensus is that they are different timelines, so the original games all the way through 7 are on one timeline but the developers stated that they view Resident Evil 2's remake as less of a formal remake and more of a re-imagining that places it in its own universe. Not to dive too deep down that rabbit hole

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

That's really interesting. I appreciate you sharing.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the general consensus is that they are different timelines, so the original games all the way through 7 are on one timeline but the developers stated that they view Resident Evil 2's remake as less of a formal remake and more of a re-imagining that places it in its own universe. Not to dive too deep down that rabbit hole
Didn't Capcom say that RE2 remake replaced RE2 as canon?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bro, RE is more action based Horror not something that gives you an unsettling feeling like SH does. I am done after this post.

Different games are different things.

RE1 is haunted house type horror.
RE2 is zombie apocalypse horror.
RE3 is a slasher type horror.
SH is psychological horror.

Action is part of all of them.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I replayed the game yesterday.
Dear lord, Catherine Disher's delivery is bad.
Jill certainly doesn't sound as bad as she did in RE1 at least. Although, it does help that the script isn't nearly as trash as that game.

Barry: "Jill, you're here too!?"
Jill: "Barry, you're here too!?"

Jill: "Barry, you're so optimistic." (insert ohyou.jpg here)

The best VA from that period was definitely Claire's, though. There's a reason she came back for Code Veronica.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
giphy.gif

Thanks for sharing! Always like reading your insight.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Reading Dusk Golem's post about how they're expanding Raccoon City, I do hope they acknowledge or even feature the Outbreak survivors in this remake since we're already going around Raccoon City!

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info Dusk Golem. I'm both incredibly nervous and incredibly excited for tomorrow. Expanding on the city parts of the game is exactly what I want and it going for that is incredibly exciting, but the experimental side of it does leave me nervous. Not long now.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Jill certainly doesn't sound as bad as she did in RE1 at least. Although, it does help that the script isn't nearly as trash as that game.

Barry: "Jill, you're here too!?"
Jill: "Barry, you're here too!?"

Jill: "Barry, you're so optimistic." (insert ohyou.jpg here)

The best VA from that period was definitely Claire's, though. There's a reason she came back for Code Veronica.

Oh yeah, Jill sound better in RE3 then in RE1 but that's not really an high praise. But at least, RE1 dub is so bad it's good. RE3 Jill is bad but not enough to make it entertaining.

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018

I wasn't even aware 3 had original concepts that weren't made. Interesting. I'm also curious as to what they could pull from Umbrella Chronicles, it has been a while since I played it but nothing was particularly striking about it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Thanks. That's great to know. I just need to know it' singleplayer and I'll be in heaven.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is impossible to know currently so think of it more as wishful thinking, But I really hope Code Veronica is on the table as well.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If someone wants to knwo about early ideas for RE3, I highly recommend reading this interview (scroll down for the english translation):

About Nemesis:

As I mentioned in the first question, one of the initial ideas was to block doors and windows to avoid the zombie invasion. Among these concepts, there was an amoeba-style enemy that would be able to break these barriers, invading the mansions though the holes. That was the initial concept for Nemesis. Since it would be a spin-off game, we needed a new theme for horror – but from this concept a new type of horror was born, following you everywhere. Since the amoeba concept would look like many enemies attacking you instead of one, we changed his visual to a single character and a very eye-catching one. That is how the actual design of Nemesis was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.