• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you right now though nothing is official yet (as far I know, I think they're waiting to see how REmake 3 performs, but I also am not super up to date) that remaking RE1, Code Veronica, RE4 and even RE5 have all been things they've been talking/thinking about internally.
tenor.gif

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Dying to get into Resident Evil but I don't know if I should play chronologically at this point or release wise. Only have a PS4 and Switch so it's hard to decide if RE2 remake should be played before RE4 for example.
You are okay starting with REmake and REmake 2. It might just be a bit weird moving later onto the classic entries. Not that RE has much of an overarching narrative of any kind anyway. All the entries are mostly self-contained and share the same narrative structure, tropes and characters.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
That's the exact problem with remaking 4. They change too much of what made RE4 the game it is and people are gonna go ham.
The original will always be there and is ported to literally everything under the sun. A new take would be more than welcome for narrative consistency. Not that a great horror game can't be made from the basic idea of RE4.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
That's the exact problem with remaking 4. They change too much of what made RE4 the game it is and people are gonna go ham.

That game NEEDS to retain some of the crazy factor, Leon still needs to be able to go Donnie Yen on people, and deliver smart-assed one-liners. They mess up what's arguably the most beloved game in the series and they'll lose a lot of the good faith they've built up with the great games we've been getting lately.
I don't think the matrix moves in 4 is gonna fly in a RE engine. It was goofy back then but now that it looks realistic there'll be suspension of disbelief. They clearly didn't want to go that route when they featured Chris in RE7.

I'm welcome to see it though just to make jawmucher happy.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
That's funny but they can't remove the bazooka unless they remove the helicopter scene which was so good.

They'll keep the bazooka I'm sure :)

I think not only will we

Get Nemesis bursting through the shower in the RPD

BUT there's a

Broken Window just after the mutilated Zombie, and just before the Zombie banging on the window before entering that room where you have to climb and crawl through the small window to the hallway with the gun locker.

I reckon that's the new location where Nemesis will get you. It seemed deliberately done.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think the characters look great so far. Well, Nemesis not so much but I'm sure he'll look better in-game. The info in Dusk's posts sounds awesome too.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Anyway, about Carlos, I think this GIF sort of encapsulates my reservatiosn about his role in R3make:

giphy.gif

Nemesis isn't out there for him. The moments he fights Carlos is simply because he is the way. Nemesis personal conflict with Jill is at the very essence of RE3.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Dying to get into Resident Evil but I don't know if I should play chronologically at this point or release wise. Only have a PS4 and Switch so it's hard to decide if RE2 remake should be played before RE4 for example.
My recommendation would be to play 1 of each type of the mainline series.

I see it as this:
Classic
-
Resident Evil (Remake) Remastered, PS4/Switch/XB1/pc/Gamecube
-
Resident Evil 2, PS1/PS3/Gamecube
-
Resident Evil 3 ^Same as
- Code Veronica X, PS2/Gamecube/PS3/PS4
Action
- Resident Evil 4 (single-player, horror/action)
- Resident Evil 5 (co-op action/horror)
- Resident Evil 6 (co-op action/action)
Modern
- Resident Evil 7
- Resident Evil 2 Remake

The classics are focused on big interconnected maps with keys that need to be found and lightweight puzzles to solve as you scavenge for ammunition and healing items and strategically select what enemies to leave be and who to kill depending on where they're most in your way. They're slow paced but full of tension and they have fixed camera angles and cramped controls.

The action series is made more like what we now know as third person shooters, increasingly modernized from RE4 to RE6, and it's really just about sequentially going through the levels and putting up with the challenge of hordes of enemies being thrown at you, and execute a number of setpiece actions along the way.

Modern is like Classic but with modern controls and feel. RE7 is an FPS with the same focus on map traversal and puzzles as the classics, so you really just need to jump in, and take it as it comes by, but know that it's about picking up items along the way so you can progress and escape the "killer is in the room" type areas. Resident Evil 2 Remake is a 1:1 remake of the original scenario with slight changes but done in the style of RE7. Modern controls don't mean you just kill everything you see. You save ammo whenever you can, and only waste it if zombies are in inconvenient places you need to get past.

They're pretty straightforward games except the first 3 which can initially seem very daunting, asking you to learn a quirky control-scheme and understanding that you need to find things that unlock certain doors if you want to see the end of the game.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
If that user feels anything like I do, it matters because taking the spotlight away from an iconic female character in favor of a male character would be very disappointing.

And yes we all know what Carlos does, he can do it all again and still not make it feel like less of a Jill focused game (by not expanding his role* further).

* Not characterization.

I mean I could say that I don't like the idea of diminishing the role of a minority character either. No one is saying that he needs equal playtime, but I imagine this game being longer than the original 4-6 hour playtime. He could have a little more screen time and still not overshadow Jill. I wouldn't want that either.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
They'll keep the bazooka I'm sure :)

I think not only will we

Get Nemesis bursting through the shower in the RPD

BUT there's a

Broken Window just after the mutilated Zombie, and just before the Zombie banging on the window before entering that room where you have to climb and crawl through the small window to the hallway with the gun locker.

I reckon that's the new location where Nemesis will get you. It seemed deliberately done.
The heck. The shower thing I knew already but I didn't notice the broken window you mentioned. Time to replay it again ☺️

Anyway, about Carlos, I think this GIF sort of encapsulates my reservatiosn about his role in R3make:

giphy.gif

Nemesis isn't out there for him. The moments he fights Carlos is simply because he is the way. Nemesis personal conflict with Jill is at the very essence of RE3.
Wow. I didn't notice this at all. What an attention to detail.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
These look like great updates for Jill and Carlos.
Can't wait to huddle in the save room again, panicking about Nemesis. 👀

Diodejenero

Jan 18, 2018
United States
I can tell you right now though nothing is official yet (as far I know, I think they're waiting to see how REmake 3 performs, but I also am not super up to date) that remaking RE1, Code Veronica, RE4 and even RE5 have all been things they've been talking/thinking about internally. I don't know which one they'll choose to do next if things go forward though.

Speaking of personal feelings, I think Code Veronica needs a remake the most. It's original game suffers from some big game design flaws, but there's a lot of potential with its setting, characters, monsters, art direction, etc. I'm hoping a Code Veronica remake happens, I feel it has the most to gain from the remake treatment.
That's good to hear! I'd imagine they haven't planned much beyond RE3, RE8, and Resistance but I always worried that Code Veronica would get glossed over as a non-numbered RE.

I would think that pending terrible reviews that Capcom has built up enough Goodwill with their customers that RE3 should perform well enough.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
The original will always be there and is ported to literally everything under the sun. A new take would be more than welcome for narrative consistency. Not that a great horror game can't be made from the basic idea of RE4.

Yeah but who wants an RE4 where you can't suplex mofos and listen to Leon smart-ass his way through everything lol.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
She's only 23. I've seen older people look as young as a teenager. Jill has great skin care.

Claire is 19 in RE2 btw. Just a 4 year difference.

That's one of the weird things about RE -- many of the main characters are way too young to have the experience they supposedly have. Jill's backstory says she was Delta Force or some shit.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They did the same "Two humans against disaster" template with the RE2 Remake's cover, having Leon & Claire up against a shit-ton of zombies. Now it's Jill & Carlos against Nemesis.
I think my fear seeing this brought up is if they're literally going to beat for beat do the 1st vs 2nd run and act as if Jill and Carlos are supposed to have each their campaign, like thinking they now have their formula for the Remake style series.

Each game in the original trilogy had its unique approach. RE1 has a selectable protagonist with certain story scenes specific to them and a dozen success/fail states for subplots that determines the ending. RE2 has 2 variations on two pre-destined campaigns that you're meant to play in sequence, and RE3 instead has a single scenario with only one protagonist but then branching choices that affect what sort of stuff you encounter.

I think it'd be a mistake of Capcom to assume that RE3 Remake needs to now have two campaigns like RE2 did, just because we liked that. I'm sure the game will still be alright but it would kinda be missing the point if they did that.

But tbh I didn't immediately think this just because Carlos is on the cover, but now that you mention that he's shown like he's a protagonist I'm starting to worry, actually.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see that going over well for them myself if they deviate too far. Even if the original still exists, any other version will be compared directly to it because of how many see it as a "perfect" game (not that such a thing exists, haha).

I think an RE4 remake that's more realistic and still respects all of the original elements is possible myself, it's just a matter of will they go that road and execute.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

giphy.gif

What WHAT

that gif isn't an AI glitch???

HOLY shit I wanna boot up the game and see this happen

Edit he can BREAK THE DOOR???

the door that nemesis is hitting is the room Jill is resting in

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can tell you right now though nothing is official yet (as far I know, I think they're waiting to see how REmake 3 performs, but I also am not super up to date) that remaking RE1, Code Veronica, RE4 and even RE5 have all been things they've been talking/thinking about internally. I don't know which one they'll choose to do next if things go forward though.
giphy.gif

I'll have a fucking heart attack, I swear.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't see that going over well for them myself if they deviate too far. Even if the original still exists, any other version will be compared directly to it because of how many see it as a "perfect" game (not that such a thing exists, haha).

I think an RE4 remake that's more realistic and still respects all of the original elements is possible myself, it's just a matter of will they go that road and execute.
I feel like Capcom has more than earned the benefit of doubt with the post 7 era of RE. They get it. I'm sure they wouldn't butcher a 4 remake.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of personal feelings, I think Code Veronica needs a remake the most. It's original game suffers from some big game design flaws, but there's a lot of potential with its setting, characters, monsters, art direction, etc. I'm hoping a Code Veronica remake happens, I feel it has the most to gain from the remake treatment.

I'm still surprised CV never got just straight ports/remasters beyond the PS3/360 versions a long time ago. I feel like it would've been ported to Steam or something a while ago. It seems the simplest to port over since it's a fully real-time game, and out of all the PS3/360 ports CV seems to have had the most work initially put into it. But remake? Sure, go ahead.

If RE4 got a remake I'd actually prefer it be the kind like Shadow of the Colossus or Halo Anniversary, where they just remake all the graphics but leave the actual game untouched. Some people are saying you can't reconcile RE4's Schwarzenegger-esque tone with a turn towards more realism, but on top of that the gameplay and encounters as they are are so finely tuned a remake probably just wouldn't be as good.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My pants...

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

It's kinda crazy to consider a second remake of RE1... but it really makes sense at this point. Considering how awesome RE2make ended up, I actually trust they'll be able to follow the greatest remake in gaming history fairly well.

RE4make will end the world.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If RE4 got a remake I'd actually prefer it be the kind like Shadow of the Colossus or Halo Anniversary, where they just remake all the graphics but leave the actual game untouched. Some people are saying you can't reconcile RE4's Schwarzenegger-esque tone with a turn towards more realism, but on top of that the gameplay and encounters as they are are so finely tuned a remake probably just wouldn't be as good
4 controls horribly for 202X standards. It does need a remake.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think my fear seeing this brought up is if they're literally going to beat for beat do the 1st vs 2nd run and act as if Jill and Carlos are supposed to have each their campaign, like thinking they now have their formula for the Remake style series.

Each game in the original trilogy had its unique approach. RE1 has a selectable protagonist with certain story scenes specific to them and a dozen success/fail states for subplots that determines the ending. RE2 has 2 variations on two pre-destined campaigns that you're meant to play in sequence, and RE3 instead has a single scenario with only one protagonist but then branching choices that affect what sort of stuff you encounter.

I think it'd be a mistake of Capcom to assume that RE3 Remake needs to now have two campaigns like RE2 did, just because we liked that. I'm sure the game will still be alright but it would kinda be missing the point if they did that.

But tbh I didn't immediately think this just because Carlos is on the cover, but now that you mention that he's shown like he's a protagonist I'm starting to worry, actually.

The thing about giving Carlos a capaign is that I don't think you can have Nemesis is it. Not without changing something profund and incredible about that monster. And you can't have half of RE3 without Nemesis.

What WHAT

that gif isn't an AI glitch???

HOLY shit I wanna boot up the game and see this happen

the door that nemesis is hitting is the room Jill is resting in

There is a lot of things people might have missed out on Nemesis. Did you know he can fall like this:

Oct 26, 2017
RE4 on RE Engine, with reworked Ada levels + Mercenaries with online MP is going to make so much money.

It will happen, Capcom is smart, they know RE4 is beloved as fuck and they can't stop after Nemesis.

RE5 can fuck off.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'd hate to kill the hype, and I must preface this by saying I love RE2 Remake, but I do have some concerns, not that anything's obviously indicating any of it will happen:

My concerns:
  • They'll worm their way around not having "choices" in the campaign, and just have one scenario for one character
  • That they'll do a "Jill" campaign and "Carlos" campaign, and it's 1st vs 2nd again
  • That I'll have to play the same 6-ish hour campaign as Carlos at some point which I don't want to.
  • That again, if they do it Remake 2 style and there's no choices when Nemesis shows up.
Because what I would love to see is:
  1. Nemesis crashlands and it's not a cutscene. You panic
  2. You either run to the nearest door or shoot at Nemesis
  3. What you just did was a choice and you won't know until you start talking to your friends about it, or go replay it.
  4. Carlos is on the cover like a protagonist because this game has co-op, baby!
But abandoning the choice element to pursue a formulaic repeat of RE2 Remake would be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.