• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Now the OG had shit controls. In addition to the aiming being slower than this demo once settings are tuned, Leon was also stuck in one place at a time. If Leon feels like Arthur like some mention in here, OG Leon is Arthur at like 30fps aka worse.

I'm glad we are in agreement 🤝
You're actually not even in agreement with his sarcastic response. You gave us permission to criticize the game in this thread.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
All I ask is for the all the people saying the controls suck and is unplayable to commit to not buying the game and skip the full release OT. Do that and you're free to vent as much as you want here in the demo thread.

People are free to have their opinion. I like the demo, but if others don't, whatever. Doesn't exactly affect my experience.
It's clearly a special game for many so naturally its going to be under more scrutiny than usual.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I fiddled with the aiming controls and was able to get it to the point where controls are tolerable, still wish they'd make Leon a bit more responsive when moving the left stick.

And they absolutely must give us a way to kick in doors!

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Now the OG had shit controls. In addition to the aiming being slower than this demo once settings are tuned, Leon was also stuck in one place at a time. If Leon feels like Arthur like some mention in here, OG Leon is Arthur at like 30fps aka worse.

I shouldn't be arguing with you but the aiming is slower in the remake since it takes twice as long for you to move the crosshair. That's how deadzones and physics work. GC RE4 had an aiming deadzone of 20%, RE4 remake has double of that. It takes twice as long for the thumb to move the stick physically from 20% to 40%. Thats a lot of milliseconds and input lag.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I shouldn't be arguing with you but the aiming is slower in the remake since it takes twice as long for you to move the crosshair. That's how deadzones and physics work. GC RE4 had an aiming deadzone of 20%, RE4 remake has double of that. It takes twice as long for the thumb to move the stick physically from 20% to 40%. Thats a lot of milliseconds and input lag.

It's worth noting that both the deadzone and square aiming issues are only on Xbox. PS5 and PC (with an Xbox controller) feel fine. I hate that Village and now RE4 have this issue on Xbox - shit boggles my mind that QA wasn't able to call it out.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been this hyped about a game in a while. Loved the demo. It ran well on my aging rig and looked decent enough at low settings. Leon's movements felt a bit janky but that was my only real criticism. Otherwise I had a blast. I'll probably play the demo a few more times because I didn't know about the parry mechanic or the TMP the first time.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
It's worth noting that both the deadzone and square aiming issues are only on Xbox. PS5 and PC (with an Xbox controller) feel fine. I hate that Village and now RE4 have this issue on Xbox - shit boggles my mind that QA wasn't able to call it out.

It's such a weird thing for me. I can tell in about ten seconds if something is up with the deadzone, and yet studios like Naughty Dog with Uncharted 3 and Capcom with Resident evil 7/8 and this, just can't. Naughty Dog had to ask some fans to come into the studio and help them.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Hmm, haven't seen that but I haven't read every page. I have certainly seen a lot of "You only dislike the controls because it's not exactly like the original" posts though, which are obviously super shitty.

If you want a core example;

All I ask is for the all the people saying the controls suck and is unplayable to commit to not buying the game and skip the full release OT. Do that and you're free to vent as much as you want here in the demo thread.

This is kind of an extreme example since this poster is a notorious troll in RE threads, but they really aren't the first person to say silly shit like this to mild criticism even if they are putting it more under a veil

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017

You aren't even a good troll

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a weird thing for me. I can tell in about ten seconds if something is up with the deadzone, and yet studios like Naughty Dog with Uncharted 3 and Capcom with Resident evil 7/8 and this, just can't. Naughty Dig had to ask some fans to come into the studio and help them.

Yeah, it'd mind boggling. These simple things dictate how a game feels to play on a controller yet these big ass studios are absolutely clueless.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
It's such a weird thing for me. I can tell in about ten seconds if something is up with the deadzone, and yet studios like Naughty Dog with Uncharted 3 and Capcom with Resident evil 7/8 and this, just can't. Naughty Dig had to ask some fans to come into the studio and help them.
I remember feeling like I had gone insane when I first fired up Uncharted 3 on launch. I couldn't hit a damn thing. Turned UC2 on, did fine. Back to UC3 - whiffing everything. turned me off of the game for years.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
One thing i've noticed regarding Leon's movement is that he always moves a bit to where the camera is looking after running in any direction, and it is especially noticeable if you barely press R1 (with hold option enabled, which doesn't apply to L3 for some reason):

View: https://streamable.com/bwihid
(i didn't press forward even once)

And the camera bob option does not work, right? because i see no difference after toggling it.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Launch UC3 had maybe the worst feeling dual analog aiming of all time. It was a joke. And idc what anyone says, the alternate aim option they added later still felt wonky.

RE4 at least feels playable to me on Xbox, though obviously not ideal. Village was more annoying since it's first person and you're always looking at the floor to pick up shit, so you feel those slow diagonals more often. Capcom needs to get their shit in order regardless. At this rate I'm hoping for the PS5 dithering/fuzziness to get fixed before launch so I can go with that version, but I'd much rather play on Xbox since I prefer that controller.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
One thing i've noticed regarding Leon's movement is that he always moves a bit to where the camera is looking after running in any direction, and it is especially noticeable if you barely press R1 (with hold option enabled, which doesn't apply to L3 for some reason):

View: https://streamable.com/bwihid
(i didn't press forward even once)

And the camera bob option does not work, right? because i see no difference after toggling it.

You can use this wind up animation to dodge attacks

R2 on PS5. Unless you mean to parry? then it would be L1 when prompted. Prompts are on the bottom right near your health bar. They be tiny.

Worth noting you don't really have to "time" a parry, you can just hold the button as early as you want (space on PC) and as long as you're still pressing it when the enemy attacks you'll parry

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
d67.jpg

I'm glad they fixed that in the remake, haha

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Using Edge controller and mapped sprint to left paddle and crouch to right paddle. I'm also debating using stick sensitivity curves in the controller setup itself instead of in game acceleration.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
what's that? i didn't see any new options after finishing the demo
There's seems to be a random chance everytime you press "New Game" for that difficulty to pop up. It's a much harder version of the demo. The first basement where you get the gun has like 3 ganados attacking you. I think you can keep quitting out and starting new games until it prompts you or at least that's what he said on stream.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I got the TMP and kitchen knife lol. I like that you get to keep the TMP from now on. Now we all just need to figure out how to open that drawer. Probably has the magnum in it or something.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
some of leon's face during his death animation are not emoting enough, not a big deal, but it's weird

like when he gets both his eyes pierced by someone's thumb, you can hear him scream in pain, but his face barely moves, lol

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Played through the demo three times last night and it felt amazing. It's RE4 in the engine and style of the remakes, and thus controls more in line with the remakes.

All the control complaints are coming from the .001 percent of obsessive RE4 fans who expected it to feel exactly like the original. That's just not what this game is. The average player will have no problem with the slower aim movement.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You can use this wind up animation to dodge attacks

Worth noting you don't really have to "time" a parry, you can just hold the button as early as you want (space on PC) and as long as you're still pressing it when the enemy attacks you'll parry
Thanks bro, you got me stabbed in the face :(

I'm probably doing this wrong, but just hold down the parry button and he'll auto parry regardless of timing?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
All the control complaints are coming from the .001 percent of obsessive RE4 fans who expected it to feel exactly like the original. That's just not what this game is. The average player will have no problem with the slower aim movement.
I don't think you're wrong that the control stuff won't be an issue at all in the grand scheme of things. However, I think people have brought some good receipts on how Capcom is handling RE4 Remake compared to the original + other games in a well-structured post. I'm not sure you've paid attention to all of them but most of them have also expressed that they are interested in playing the full game despite having some issues with it.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I love the way it plays. Had a fucking blast and can't wait until the full release. As far as performance, I have everything maxed on pc (including hair and RT) at 1440p and I'm getting anywhere from 80-110fps. Granted, this is with a 4090, but still. What surprised me most is the graphics options menu setting saying it could use up to 15 gigs of VRAM with everything maxed. Like holy shit

Looks incredible tho

Apr 19, 2018
some of leon's face during his death animation are not emoting enough, not a big deal, but it's weird

like when he gets both his eyes pierced by someone's thumb, you can hear him scream in pain, but his face barely moves, lol

Yeah, this bothers me a bit. Like his mouth isn't syncing up at all to the screams we're hearing.

I feel like this was an issue with some of Rose's death animations in Village as well.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
There's something very John Wick-ish going from the reload animation into popping people in the head at near point blank lol

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I hope someone will release a cheat engine to always activate mad mode.... i got it once, played badly so i decided to kill myself to repeat, but then you can't continue in that mode...

tried 20 times to get it again, no luck, this is dumb

Apr 19, 2018
I am disappointed there seemingly won't be a 120hz output option for consoles -- unless it'll be a day one patch?

RE2R and RE3R felt really good to play on PS5 with VRR enabled.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OG RE4 on Xbox has the worst case of this. The deadzone issue on Village was fixed, I believe, with the Winters Expansion. It's still an issue in RE7 tho.