• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/0_iApZxunP4

Did anyone else feel this? I thought movement and aiming felt particularly bad in the PS5 demo, it felt like I was dragging the cursor around instead of it feeling snappy like the OG. Friends agreed so we've been doing some digging and found this.

Is there any chance of this being fix post launch, or them adding some kind of deadzone slider/setting.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Ftr that's the Xbox version. On base PS4 at least deadzone isn't nearly as bad. Acceleration curve still sucks though.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
My workaround was playing with a mouse & keyboard on PC. Planned to buy this on my PS5 because I wanted to play this on my OLED TV but I can't shoot shit with these controls and I got more frustrated than I had fun with it.

Played fine with a mouse.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We hope it's a demo issue, but yeah, I felt it on PS5 too. The aiming is terribly imprecise and sluggish.

Yes, the gyro implementation is baffling. It's nice that it's there but it needs a lot of work.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stress this ENOUGH:

Capcom have done this 3 TIMES NOW.

RE7, RE8 (and Gold Edition), and now RE4 Remake.

All of them have had this exact issue and Capcom haven't done shit. It's almost as if it's a deliberate choice ESPECIALLY when you consider Sony got the marketing for all of these games.

RE8's rumble on Xbox is literally broken. Literally. The right trigger completely doesn't work at all when firing guns. Yet, this is completely glossed over. I'm utterly baffled by it.

Considering the original RE4 has never even really been a favorite of mine, I'm probably just going to skip Remake entirely, precisely because of this issue. The demos for both RE7 and RE8 also had the whack, square deadzone issue early on and the final releases still had them as well.

It's fucking infuriating. I made the mistake of buying RE8 thinking they would fix it and they never did. I KNOW they won't fix it with RE4 remake either.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
We hope it's a demo issue, but yeah, I felt it on PS5 too. The aiming is terribly imprecise and sluggish.

Yes, the gyro implementation is baffling. It's nice that it's there but it needs a lot of work.

It's not a demo issue. It's a deliberate choice and THEY WON'T FIX IT.

Go download the demos for RE7, RE8 and RE8 Gold Edition 3rd person. It's the exact same.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The OP video specifically is the XSX version which is worse with the bigger deadzone/square shape, but the game does have a slow aim curve which with a deadzone in general will make it feel bogged down.

They really just...need to have a slider for deadzone.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get it, so many developers fall into this, snappy controls are essential.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I played the demo multiple times on ps5, messed with settings and I got it better but it still feels wrong.

Fired up RE4 original and was popping headshots everytime again. So something is screwy. And now I'm on chapter 3 of RE4. Again. For the millionth time.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
A Resident Evil 4 remake is going to release with worse controls/gameplay than the 18 year old original.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 and PS5 versions feel better but they are not ideal by any means. Xbox is just a mess.

Even if this is a deliberate choice, there is no reason why Xbox is worse than the PS5 in this regard. They must be testing all versions, so it is pretty insane that they did not notice how much worse one version feels to play.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Well good to know I wasn't crazy about how bad it felt to play

All of them have had this exact issue and Capcom haven't done shit. It's almost as if it's a deliberate choice ESPECIALLY when you consider Sony got the marketing for all of these games.
Before you get into weird conspiracy levels here you should know the PS5 has noticeably worse image quality than the XSX version

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Just an fyi, The right stick deadzone is better on PS5 but it still has all the other issues.

The bigger issue with the gyro is that it uses the same settings as the right stick camera controls, you can't configure it separately. That also means it's tied to the same acceleration curve and explains why it doesn't feel as good as other gyro games. You can get it feeling somewhat decent though. Turn up both speed and acceleration to max and turn on the reticle deceleration to 2 or so to compensate for your now insanely sensitive right stick horizonal movement. It plays almost like a flickstick when it's configured this way. It feels better than standard dual analog stick aiming imo, but could obviously be better if Capcom just gave us proper gyro config options.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the PS4 demo another several times after learning about the secret TMP thing... nope, definitely still feels off to me. Even after getting used to no longer coming to a complete stop immediately after running, the movement and aiming are definitely less precise compared to the original RE4 that I've been replaying from the start.

Dupr Dog

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2022
I don't understand how devs ship games with controls that feel so wrong that lots of people immediately notice it.

I won't be buying this unless it's fixed.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It was bad on Village (Xbox) too, although not as bad as RE4 and they didn't fix it so I'd be surprised if they did fix this. The aiming is completely fucked. Play something like Dead Space and then switch to the RE4 demo, it's laughably bad.

Sep 6, 2022
Just so you are aware, people are complaining about a visual bug on the PS5 version that is messing with the resolution, while things are fine on Series X.

Chances are this game is coming in hot on all platforms.
Hopefully every version will be in a better state at launch.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I love the way the game feels in general but yeah, aiming feels too awkward. I hope it's still something I can get used to because I learned to be pretty accurate with my shots in all the other recent RE games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Go download the demos for RE7, RE8 and RE8 Gold Edition 3rd person. It's the exact same.
But it's variable. Not an issue on PC whatsoever, only slightly noticeable on PS5, and a deadzone travesty on Xbox. Having tried all three demos. And yes, same on the previous games.

TheEchidna94

Dec 10, 2022
I've played RE2, RE3 and I'm currently playing RE8 in 3rd person. I had issues with the controls in those games but this demo felt horrendous. Callisto Protocol levels of clunky

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Didn't notice anything - PS5, DualSense Edge. It felt intentional and similar to other modern RE games.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yeah, the dead zones in modern RE games are outrageous. I have to shrink them pretty drastically via Steam Input to make the games feel responsive.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, dead zone issues aside, you can make the game feel /much/ better on all platforms by increasing acceleration and camera speed. I know a lot of people didn't do this and went with default controls, which are not good.

Upping the speed of these makes controllers feel much more responsive. Don't overlook it!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, thats why the KBM setup is the way to go. PS5 is better than whats demonstrated in the video.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Does this mean it's present on PC when using a controller?

EDIT: Huh, so if one were to use KB&M on console that would be a fix? It's mostly how the game interprets a controller?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this somehow has the worst controls of any RE game since the original 4. I'm pretty disappointed but plenty of people seem to prefer it so I guess it's less an 'issue' and more a preference. Aside the Deadzone thing on Xbox, that's bad.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah this somehow has the worst controls of any RE game since the original 4. I'm pretty disappointed but plenty of people seem to prefer it so I guess it's less an 'issue' and more a preference. Aside the Deadzone thing on Xbox, that's bad.
Were you playing on Xbox? I'm wondering how much that contributed to our divided reactions — although I know it wouldn't be the only contributor.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that was me just used to the tank controls from the original and not easily adapting to it.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I play on PC with M/KB and I loved RE8 controls, no issues at all, just joy
but RE4 feels off on many levels, especially while still playing the Dead Space Remake which has perfect controls.
i will definitely fire up the RE4 demo a few times to get adjusted to the controls

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming there is an article or video out there proving this to be true?
cant find a good article but found this
one example from it is cod black ops 1 vs 3
Y6pqCGq.png

brcxZad.png

btw these graphs are from the video creator in the op