• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
FE_gnxmWYAgA7z2

In 2005, Resident Evil 4 debuted as one of the most graphically impressive games of that console generation. Now, nearly a decade later, the visuals certainly show their age. The latest PC version of the game brought the gameplay into the land of 60 FPS, but the attempt to update the texture quality fell rather short. By and large most textures in the game have simply been up-scaled with a particular filter applied.

At this point it seems safe to say that an official across-the-board HD revamp of the game isn't coming anytime soon. As a result, this project was born: a complete HD texture overhaul that remains true to the original artistic intent and tone of the game.

Goals

* Be true to the original textures, intent, and tone of the game
* By default, increase the texture resolution by 800%, unless a greater increase is necessary
* Wherever possible, leverage the original real-life sources for a given texture

FAQ
(based on questions asked in this thread)

What version of the game is this project for?
The Ultimate HD version released this year for PC.

Who are you?
We're two guys who love Resident Evil 4 and want to help create the definitive version of the game from a graphical perspective. :) Cris is from the midwest in the US, while Albert lives in Spain. Albert's experience goes all the way back to the 2007 PC release of the game, for which he created one of the most definitive and well-received texture packs, while this is Cris' first attempt.

How much of an upgrade will this be?
We are essentially taking each texture, scaling it up to 8 times the original resolution (in most cases) and redrawing / remaking from there. Additionally, there are many instances where Albert has been able to find the original source materials used, which allows us to faithfully replicate the original intent at a much higher resolution.

Do you want feedback?
Definitely! Please comment on any post on our site (http://www.re4hd.com) to give us feedback on our progress. In some cases it will help shape the end product!

How can I keep up with your progress?
There are several ways to stay connected:
* Our site: http://www.re4hd.com
* Twitter: @re4hdproject
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/re4hd
* This thread

How can we support the project?
There are a few ways to help support: 1) Let others know about it! 2) Comment if you have feedback / kind words. 3) Donate (offsets the costs of tablet / software / textures purchased for this project, travel for acquiring real-life texture sources, etc).

Where are you finding the real-life texture sources?
Capcom did a lot of photography work in various areas of Spain and Wales for this game (and others), and they also leveraged existing texture libraries. So for us, it's a combination of the following:
* Going to and photographing those same locations
* Finding hi-res images online of those locations
* Simply finding the original texture images used (generally speaking, some Chinese stock photo websites, and some random blogs where people uploaded their trip's photos)

Have you released any of your work?
Yes. Demo's of the Village area and Castle area of the game can be found on our site (re4hd.com)

How long will this project take?
Originally I estimated 1-2 years. Based on our progress, it seems 1 year is a reasonable estimate. However it's difficult to really gauge.

Can I join the project?
While anyone is welcome to let us know about any resources that may be helpful, we're not looking to add any official collaborators at this time.

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0001.jpg

0006.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

--------------------------------

June 2018' UPDATE:

A new release is due for July 13th with everything you see listed below.
Note: This does not mean the project is complete – there are several things that remain, like enemies, NPCs, playable characters, etc.

• Village Pack– UPDATED
    • All textures, 3D edits, lighting and effects improvements to date
  • Castle Pack– UPDATED
  • Island Pack– NEW
  • Separate Ways Pack– NEW
  • Assignement Ada Pack– NEW
  • The Mercenaries Pack– NEW
  • Subscreen and Menus and Weapons Pack– NEW
    • Re-created menus and subscreen background images
    • Improved inventory item models and textures
  • Weapons Pack– NEW
    • In-game weapon 3D models and textures based on the higher quality "examine view" version
      NOTE: Weapon textures will receive a complete makeover in the final release
  • Items Pack– NEW
    • In-game item 3D models and textures based on the higher quality "examine view" version
      NOTE: Some item textures will receive a complete makeover in the final release
  • Cut-scene Pack– NEW
    • Fixed and restored effects from the Gamecube/Wii version that got lost during the HD porting process
    • Improved cutscene-exclusive textures and 3D models
    • Low-polygon Ganados have been replaced with the higher-polygon version
    • Some lighting adjustments here and there
    • Some effect adjustments here and there
  • Miscellaneous
    • Enemy torches and crossbow arrows cast real time light
    • Improved barrel and tank explosions
    • Fixed some minor sound bugs

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you guys are okay with me bringing your thread over. I can pass it back over when you get here.

Keep up the amazing work.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to see this continue on ResetEra! Do we know if Albert made his way over here?

Oct 25, 2017
Nice stuff Ellis. I hope the guys come over to continue updating on this beautiful job.

The effort and work put into this is remarkable.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yay!!! This is one of my favorite threads. I would feel genuine excitement when there was an update. Hopefully the guys come over and continue to provide updates/feedback here.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing work as usual.

I have one question though, and it's a very important one - will the modders also be able to fix the 30fps sniper rifle reloading animation? It's the greatest reload animation of all time, and it's ruined on PC due to that jarring framerate stutter.

Barry Bonds

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing work as usual.

I have one question though, and it's a very important one - will the modders also be able to fix the 30fps sniper rifle reloading animation? It's the greatest reload animation of all time, and it's ruined on PC due to that jarring framerate stutter.
If it ever happens I don't think it will be part of this project. Hopefully there is someone out there who can crack this nut.

belteshazzar

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't wait for this project to be completed. Seriously impressive work. Will be following until completion

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Glad to see this thread pop up over here. This has been the longest I've waited to replay Resident Evil 4 since it's release. It'll be worth the wait once it is released. Keep up the amazing works guys, never seen anything like this before.

Can't wait to get that Red9 with Stock.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
I left a comment on their site about there being a new forum, Albert didn't seem to hear about the move. Cris was the one that made the original thread on the old site, so it's probably him that would choose to make a new thread here for the update.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever get that feeling that you might have left something behind at the last place you were? Something important... that was this thread. I'm so glad it's back and the project is so far along!

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome update. I hope Cris and Albert make their way over, because I want to critique the look of the Broken Butterfly.

Also, anyone want to help take a stab at deciphering the Kanji here?

Edit: So far I've identified:

???生
???死
耳?傀去
??晶米

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
This guy even puts bluepoint to shame. I hope he makes a remastering company after he is done with all this. Bought RE4 PC this Halloween in anticipation of this mod.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck I almost forgot this after everything that happened! Chris and Albert come back to us!

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
Only played RE 4 when it first came out and I've been holding off on replaying it until this is completed so I am pretty pumped.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love this thread. I hope the devs make accounts so they can continue with their lovely updates.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
At this point I think I don't even want them to release the mod, just give me regular progress reports for life because I enjoy their discoveries and thought process even more.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see the comparison shots, I'm floored by the quality of work being done here. Incredibly impressive.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Those new weapon models are looking great, I have full confidence that they'll do the NPCs justice.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hope Cris and Albert makes it to ResetEra. Would be wonderful if they update this thread by themselves. It was one of my fave threads on the old forum. I would click on it rightaway whenever I saw it bumped to the frontpage.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome seeing this thread! Looking forward to this mind being complete!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I've been purposely holding off on replaying Resident Evil 4 again until this comes out. That update showing off the UI and items is incredible, just like everything else has been.