• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't see it but it makes sense.

jjqosLD.png

I'm 100% sure.
29bef412-6687-4a33-8187-3606f6a24e51

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
So this just happened:
40483355554_92316e6e79_b.jpg

Thanks to a mod by thalixte on the ReShade forums, ReShade can now access the depth buffer in a wide variety of games where it was previously impossible. I haven't tested beyond the intro, but RE4 finally seems to support ambient occlusion. This should work very well with Cris and Albert's mod! The only catch is that you have to disable AA to get it to work, but you can add SMAA in with ReShade. It also doesn't work with cutscenes, but that's no deal breaker.

Here are some comparisons
OFF: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/870/41152415482_f3fd3c4aba_o.jpg
ON: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/894/41197671451_61a7a9c489_o.jpg

OFF: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/796/40483360194_1c79b41421_o.jpg
ON: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/811/40483363954_a08054f2cf_o.jpg

The ReShade mod and required settings can be found here. Hopefully Crosire merges this into the official version, it's a great feature.
https://reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/4083-depth-buffer-detection-modification?start=180#27009

Last edited:

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Ambient Occlusion on top of all the texture and model updates?? :O

I remember all those guys who said it wasn't worth it back when these guys started. Now I'm very glad they didn't listen to them ^_^

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the final RE4, with new models and everything will end up looking better and more consistent than RE5 and 6.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wonder if the final RE4, with new models and everything will end up looking better and more consistent than RE5 and 6.

I don't know, for all it's faults RE5 is a great looking game, particularly at 60FPS. I'm not a huge fan of the colour grading but the combination of good model design (except Chris), textures, animation and motion blur works really well.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Its kinda cool seeing how low poly the OG jacket is. It looks totally normal not in the plain AO pass.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that AO update looks awesome. Would be great to see it integrated into the HD pack, but as long as it's compatible they should definitely go great together!

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want to completely hijack the thread, but I do want to post a little more for those who want to use this-
-make sure "depth input is reversed" in the preprocessor section is set to "1," otherwise the AO will be totally wacky
-turning the sample radius up, possibly even to maximum, seems to work well in this game.
-the AO amount probably shouldn't go over 2.0, as it starts to look like blackening instead of realistic shading
-you'll want the fade out to be set around .500 for the village opening, otherwise the AO will show through the fog in an unpleasant way (you should crank it up to max after the foggy areas end)
-the performance hit doesn't seem too bad until you set the quality to "ultra," which doesn't really provide a noticeable improvement over "very high" when in-game (on my old GTX 970 anyway)

Here are a few more shots showing how the AO can correct the game's unrealistic and dated lighting. The dark sides of these barns shouldn't really have such brightly lit edges, and the AO fixes that. It also adds a lot of depth to the foliage:

Is there a reason why doesn't it work for the real-time cut-scenes? Because they should be rendered the same way as the main game, shouldn't they?

Actually, it works for most of them. The codec calls never work- not that they really have any need for AO. Most in-game scenes work, but with inconsistencies like occasional camera angles within the same scene that don't work. I assume it has to do with the effects that get enabled or other changes that take place during the scenes breaking the depth buffer retrieval.

Assignment Ada also doesn't seem to work. It may just be the beginning area of the island that's not compatible or it may be the whole mode itself... I haven't played all the way through it to find out. Separate ways and the 4 mercenaries maps are fine!

The only other issue is that the game seems to crash every now and then. Hopefully that's not a widespread problem.

Its kinda cool seeing how low poly the OG jacket is. It looks totally normal not in the plain AO pass.

MXAO has a smoothed normals option that helps reduce the obviousness of low poly models, but I'm not sure how to enable it in the newest version. I used it before in Majora's Mask and it really helped prevent the AO from exaggerating Link's blockiness, and it might help here too. But yeah, getting to see the raw polygons in the debug view is kind of fun.

Last edited:

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I don't want to completely hijack the thread, but I do want to post a little more for those who want to use this-
-make sure "depth input is reversed" in the preprocessor section is set to "1," otherwise the AO will be totally wacky
-turning the sample radius up, possibly even to maximum, seems to work well in this game.
-the AO amount probably shouldn't go over 2.0, as it starts to look like blackening instead of realistic shading
-you'll want the fade out to be set around .500 for the village opening, otherwise the AO will show through the fog in an unpleasant way (you should crank it up to max after the foggy areas end)
-the performance hit doesn't seem too bad until you set the quality to "ultra," which doesn't really provide a noticeable improvement over "very high" when in-game (on my old GTX 970 anyway)

Here are a few more shots showing how the AO can correct the game's unrealistic and dated lighting. The dark sides of these barns shouldn't really have such brightly lit edges, and the AO fixes that. It also adds a lot of depth to the foliage:

Actually, it works for most of them. The codec calls never work- not that they really have any need for AO. Most in-game scenes work, but with inconsistencies like occasional camera angles within the same scene that don't work. I assume it has to do with the effects that get enabled or other changes that take place during the scenes breaking the depth buffer retrieval.

Assignment Ada also doesn't seem to work. It may just be the beginning area of the island that's not compatible or it may be the whole mode itself... I haven't played all the way through it to find out. Separate ways and the 4 mercenaries maps are fine!

The only other issue is that the game seems to crash every now and then. Hopefully that's not a widespread problem.

MXAO has a smoothed normals option that helps reduce the obviousness of low poly models, but I'm not sure how to enable it in the newest version. I used it before in Majora's Mask and it really helped prevent the AO from exaggerating Link's blockiness, and it might help here too. But yeah, getting to see the raw polygons in the debug view is kind of fun.
Beautiful improvements. I wish Capcom would put this kind of work into a proper remaster and release it on Nintendo Switch. I am dying to finally have RE4 on a portable ( the mobile RE4 doesn't count).

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Huge props to you dude. Those new shots are interesting in that you don't necessarily notice it on its own, but you definitely notice the flatness when the AO is absent.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
AO implementation is pretty huge, but in those pics is waaay too excessive... any way to tone it down?
Absolutely, you can adjust with a slider to go as high or low as you want. I set it a little high to make the difference apparent. Ideally, you'd want to set it to match the darkness of the game's baked in shadows so that they blend together. If you look closely, you can see a few of those baked shadows in the images above and how much darker the AO gets.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And now it's time to prepare something BIG. We'll keep you updated about it
Omgomgomg.

BTW, can you do anything about the laser pointer being less visible at higher resolutions? I'm pretty sure the beam width is X pixels at all resolutions so it gets harder to see as resolution increases.

albert_re4hd

Nov 2, 2017
Awesome as usual, Albert.

Crazy you will end up with a texture pack at around 1GB. I was thinking it would be about 15+ lol.
Oh! I was talking about the cutscenes pack files only XD Maybe i wasn't clear enough

Omgomgomg.

BTW, can you do anything about the laser pointer being less visible at higher resolutions? I'm pretty sure the beam width is X pixels at all resolutions so it gets harder to see as resolution increases.

I had no idea about this issue but it sounds like the kind of problem we can't do anything about :/ ...

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Nice AO! I hope a 100% stable version appears at some point.
Others on the ReShade forum haven't reported the same crashes, so it may just be my system. To be honest, I haven't played it much at all recently so for all I know it may crash even without ReShade.

EDIT: Sure enough, testing it just now without ReShade it still crashed. It's just a problem on my end.

If I were to nitpick the new update, there are a few things I see:

I can tell that the brick texture used above the doorway was a photo taken in bright daylight (it's hard to find sandstone block textures that aren't), and I'm not sure it looks natural as something that's supposed to be lit by a torch in the dark. I think if you were to replace it with a less intensely lit texture or adjust it by hand it might look better? The area just above Leon's gun on the wall also stands out a little, as the mapping gets smushed and the contrast seems a little too intense to me. None of this would likely be noticed while playing in motion, but I think there's room for improvement.

There's also a seam here that isn't present in the original:

Other than that it's all looking great as usual

Last edited:

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Can't be said enough, but the work you guys have done is unbelievable. I'm way more excited about the release of this compared to any other upcoming game. I'm actually planning on upgrading my GPU as soon as this comes out. Think my old ass 7850 might struggle a bit.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
This hd project is absolutely amazing, it´s been like 10 years since i played the original game in my gamecube, gonna be great to replay the game with all these massive texture and lighting improvements that look so faithful to the original artstyle at 1080p 60fps, thank you very much for your work and dedication.

crisdecuba

Alt-Account.
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hi everyone! Just wanted to drop this here:

We hope you enjoy -- more details at re4hd.com

Last edited: