• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
For reference:

RE7: 20,449
RE2: 74,227
RE3: 60,293
RE8: 106,631

Great numbers, but part of me is sad that a seemingly outstanding linear games have such lower numbers than open world titles.

It will probably be the highest selling RE title in good time. Ah, what Capcom can accomplish when they actually want it.

That's the power of the Western Custom for you:

download23iwa.gif

Jul 3, 2021
part of me is sad that a seemingly outstanding linear games have such lower numbers than open world titles.

1. I dont think its caused by being linear but more by being a horror game. These games will always attract less players because they are more difficult to get into. And way more stressful.
2. Im not sure whats wrong with open world games, but its a can of worms I dont want to open right now.

Ah, what Capcom can accomplish when they actually want it.

I feel like its about RE3make. If yes, I agree - though its nice that whenever someone will still try to argue with me that RE3make price wasnt scandalous, I will just point this person towards RE4 and make them compare the quality and quantity of the content :P

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
1. I dont think its caused by being linear but more by being a horror game. These games will always attract less players because they are more difficult to get into.
2. Im not sure whats wrong with open world games, but its a can of worms I dont want to go into.

I feel like its about RE3make. If yes, I agree - though its nice that whenever someone will still try to argue with me that RE3make price wasnt scandalous, I will just point this person towards RE4 and make them compare the quality and quantity of the content :P

There is nothing wrong with open world games per se. But I often feels that a game *needs* to be open world to sell piles of millions of units, particularly for single player games. And this leads to a lot of games being unnecessarily open world games, which makes them back open world games, which makes them a terrible waste of time. Now, there are exceptions to this, and the RE4 will eventually surpass 10mi units, but still. There are a lot of linear single player games that deserve to sell way more than they did.

And everything I say is about REmake 3!

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Grats to Capcom! Also nice the PC version is the best version right now; been a tough year for PC ports.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Well deserved. PC port is absolutely magnificent! Haven't said that in quite some time now. God bless Capcom, god bless.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It's great to see the RE franchise so healthy, to be honest. VII and Village were absolutely terrific and Capcom have knocked it out of the park with the remakes.
RE5R is going to set record numbers. I can see it already!

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
This is what happens when you continue to launch your great games day one on Steam for multiple release and years. Brand grows and gets more popular with each release instead of the opposite. Good stuff Capcom.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Great, the game is amazing. Now use that money to improve performance and fix bugs (I wish! 🤣)!

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens when you continue to launch your great games day one on Steam for multiple release and years. Brand grows and gets more popular with each release instead of the opposite. Good stuff Capcom.

Yup. I really wish more Japanese gaming companies would follow suit and knock it off with the money hats, which in turns does not help grow their brand.

Capcom has earned their success. Looking forward to seeing how high the numbers will be this weekend!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Capcom has earned it. Day 1 releases on PC that don't run like ass. Square could learn a thing or 2 and maybe theyed actually find an audience on PC.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom said before they realise that PC is a platform they want to focus on since its becoming/has become its dominant platform, so these numbers make sense. They just gotta get the next MH day and date with the rest (and make sure the port is decent) and they'll have yet another hit on their hands. Here's hoping SFVI's launch goes swimmingly as well.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see the RE franchise being the biggest and best it's ever been. I've greatly enjoyed it's turnaround since RE7

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably has to do with that mod I've been seeing all over Twitter. 👀

Can't there be one thread where we celebrate things without trying to disparage other thing?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Jul 3, 2021
Capcom showing people how PC ports should be done

Im impressed with this port - even compared to other RE engine games. For real, its the first RE engine game where I tweaked the settings before playing and thats it: everything looks and works perfectly. In RE7,2, 3, and 8 I was going back and forth for almost an hour before settling on any settings and there always was something looking off (too blurry, too pixelated, too dark, too grey etc).

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
This is why they could burn the marketing budget on Nippon animating that wonderful goofy commercial.

It's the RE Engine Remake of Resident Evil 4. The only marketing it needs is the release date.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
i hope capcom doesnt take this as we want more action and less horror
My thoughts exactly, but I have a feeling that cycle is about to happen again and the old adage of "those who don't learn from the past ..." will have to take form once more.

Not to say that RE4 isn't enjoyable, but 5 and 6 both tried to mimic it and failed, particularly the latter. I was hoping the approach they took with VII stuck around, but Village and now RE4R's success indicate where they may be headed.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
My thoughts exactly, but I have a feeling that cycle is about to happen again and the old adage of "those who don't learn from the past ..." will have to take form once more.
I was just thinking this exactly and didn't know how to put it into words well.

I really hope Capcom doesn't take this route, they have been killing it with RE since RE7. Don't fuck up the streak with a remake of 5 and/or an action based RE.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
same. Very concerned about RE9 being action based considering how action heavy the second half of Village was.

I don't think there's anything to really worry about. All of the RE games since RE6 feel really well considered. Plus, at the moment, RE7 and RE2 Remake are still the best selling RE games ever discounting later-gen ports like 5 and 6 got. I think Capcom knows horror and tension sells RE just as well as action, and I'm betting RE9 will be more a more measured balance. Village had a huge action focus in the second half, but Capcom still trusted the first half with some of the most horror-centric sequences in the series. RE4 Remake is... RE4, as it should be, and I don't think that speaks for the series going forward like RE4's release did back in 2005.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully this will push them to update the game and fix the brokens things and why not the demo too? Also if there are mid-gens, they keep updating it for them.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
i hope capcom doesnt take this as we want more action and less horror
I certainly understand your concern and thing it's valid, but I have faith in modern Capcom. They're the best AAA multiplatform publisher right now, and they seem to really understand Resident Evil post-RE6. Their biggest recent "misstep" with Resident Evil was RE3 remake which isn't a bad game by any means, just not a good remake.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
nice, more remakes please. also just take RE4make as a base and build RE9 out of that (with a backtracking heavy location like the police station from RE2make in the mix)

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for those that never played the original. It doesn't get better than RE4. It's still pretty much the peak of action games and encounter design.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
nice, more remakes please. also just take RE4make as a base and build RE9 out of that (with a backtracking heavy location like the police station from RE2make in the mix)
Maybe make re9 a prequel to re4???? We can finally get that re 3.5 we always wanted!!!!!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Good, Capcom respects the platform and the playerbase so it's nice to see them rewarded for it.