• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Capcom fix these issues at some point?

• Yes, both of these issues will be fixed

Votes: 227 28.3%
  • Only PS5 image quality will be fixed

Votes: 216 26.9%
  • Only Xbox controller deadzone behaviour will be fixed

Votes: 56 7.0%
  • Nope, Capcom doesn‘t care as long as it sells enough

Votes: 304 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Patch notes for 1.04:

April 7, 2023
[PlayStaion®5 / PlayStation®4 / XBOX SERIES XIS / Steam]

• A new extra game "The Mercenaries" has been added.
    Aim for the high score in your battle to defeat as many enemies as possible within the time limit.
[PS5]
  • An issue causing flickering lights at the bottom of the screen when certain settings are applied has been fixed.
  • A graphics rendering process which resulted in certain environmental details looking blurry has been fixed.
[XSX|S]
  • The dead zone (the range in which the controller's sticks don't respond to movement) has been reduced, resulting in more responsive controls.
  • Adjusted graphics rendering processes, resulting in improved game framerates.
[PS5 / PS4 / XSX|S / Steam]
  • Other miscellaneous bug fixes.

www.residentevil.com

Resident Evil 4 | CAPCOM

Resident Evil 4 has been reimagined with modernized gameplay, a reimagined storyline and vividly detailed graphics.

View: https://youtu.be/nFKRUwjZITk
DF unfortunately did not mention all the micro-stuttering in the PS5 version, noticeable mostly from the castle onwards.

Issues in the final version 1.02:
  • PS5: Stuttering and hitching (frame time spikes) during traversal and combat, even in frame rate mode without RT and with VRR, leading to gameplay that does not feel smooth: Stuttering has been slightly reduced in 1.04, but the game is still stuttering in every display mode even with VRR display
  • PS5: Image quality lower than XBox Series X: Image quality in 1.04 is sharper on PS5 but with more aliasing. IQ on Xbox has been reduced.
  • XBox: Deadzone controller issues Fixed in 1.04 according to patch notes
  • PS5 and XBox: Hair strand lighting is bugged, hair is much too bright in dark scenes (looks like Leon wears a glowing wig) Hair strand lighting has been adjusted slightly in 1.04, not glowing quite as much anymore
  • PS4: Very low res textures and a lot of texture pop-in TBD
  • PS5: No option to adjust black level in HDR, leading to washed-out look on some TVs Unchanged in 1.04
  • PS5: Inaccurate Gyro controls with deadzone too large Not fixed in 1.04
  • All versions: crouch button does not work while sprinting (using hold to sprint) Not fixed in 1.04
  • All versions: Ashley is out of breath far too quickly (even after sprinting for just a few steps) Unchanged in 1.04
  • All versions: rain has only been "fixed" in-game. Rain in cut-scenes is still the old version, making the transition look off Rain transition from cut scene in church to gameplay still the same in 1.04. Rain in lake chapter now adjusted as well in 1.04.
  • PC version also suffers from traversal stutter Traversal (loading) stutter seems unchanged in 1.04

PS5 stuttering:
Here, hopefully this sorta shows it. Top is ps5, bottom is xsx.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0P1nJeKHCg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnPSSDXa9Nk

On PS5 there's hitching running through the room, especially near the furnace, that isn't there on xbox. It's pretty damn constant on PS5 in general, happens going to the valley fight, path before mendez's house, etc. I don't really want to keep playing and clipping random spots but at the very least if there's stutter on both it's more severe when it's happening on ps5. It got a lot worse in the castle but I don't have saves near it.

They all hitch running towards the big door to the initial village fight but otherwise I can't say I was noticing it. The xbox version in general just seems like it's in a way better spot technically...it just has fucked controls for no reason.

DF analysis with lots of detail:

View: https://youtu.be/x88molgdmcI

Last edited:

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, that one poster got my hopes up 😞

Torn on what to do. I've got this pre-installed on my Series X, but might have to cop the PS5 version too. The controls in the demo were rough.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
IQ on PS5 still being that bad is really disappointing. What the hell happened there? Village had excellent IQ and now this.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99% sure it's with the patch. Highly disappointing.

Don't care how many 9s and 10s the remake got if the controls are still as broken up as they were in the demo.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
are the xbox control issues also present in the pc version with an xbox one controller? really dont like how it feels

edit: seems yeah but not as bad but still bad

Last edited:

Obscure

Oct 27, 2017
The Dual Sense and the future PS VR2 mode makes this choice a no-brainer anyway, for me.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This is why I'm waiting for the game to be out for a couple of days before buying on Steam.

Need to know how it performs on Deck.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Glad I switched my PS5 preorder to PC. I turned off the motion blur and CA and it did look decent, but still can't beat the clarity and sharpness of the pc version. In the pc version there's even fine dust particles in the air.

I don't know if my expectations are correct, but I still consider PS5 in its early gen and it's a bit disappointing that it can't be more up to par with the PC version. For instance, I've definitely seen that kind of clarity and detail in Forbidden West's resolution mode.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
It's actually kind of crazy because on the complete opposite end of the spectrum you have the stick options for Exoprimal:

eo0rFah.png

I know the dev teams are different of course, but it's literally night and day.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I'm going to be honest, I wasn't impressed by the demo. I think they should've sticked to a current gen release only. I wanted to preorder this, but I'll probably wait now.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
John would probably make it clear if it was without the patch or not answer altogether so this is disappointing. Weird timeline where PC version is the best choice for RE4 remake after how Village launched.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Absolutely bonkers that Capcom can put a huge amount of time and money into a blockbuster-budget game and muck up something so obvious and avoidable - It's not 2001 when companies were still figuring out the ins-and-outs of dual stick controls. This has gone from a dead-cert purchase to a "wait-and-see" situation for me.

It's actually kind of crazy because on the complete opposite end of the spectrum you have the stick options for Exoprimal:

eo0rFah.png

Lots to critique with the modern Call of Duty games, but they're also outstanding when it comes to the sheer number of control options.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, that one poster got my hopes up 😞

Torn on what to do. I've got this pre-installed on my Series X, but might have to cop the PS5 version too. The controls in the demo were rough.
Over the years I've learned to not trust random users reporting fixes to technical issues reported by DF.

Iirc Capcom never fixed any RE related control issues on Xbox. Afaik the original RE4 (Xbox One) still controls like shit.

I mean...some devs simply don't get it, or they say they don't. I remember Naughty Dog had to invite players to help them understand the control issues of Uncharted 3. I think there was a thread about that on the other forum.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo on Xbox and had no real problems but OG RE4 on Xbox controls weird. Hopefully they patch it?

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Expected this to be the case. They never addressed the issue on RE8's deadzone after the Xbox demo.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

eo0rFah.png

Yeah, the series x exoprimal controls by default are already fine, before even seeing the amount of options to tweak. Absolutely ridiculous re4 has nothing to help here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...some devs simply don't get it, or they say they don't. I remember Naughty Dog had to invite players to help them understand the control issues of Uncharted 3. I think there was a thread about that on the other forum.
It's just weird to me because you would think that the devs have every version sitting within grasp. Surely playing them side by side, you would expect someone on the team to notice a difference immediately.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Absolutely bonkers that Capcom can put a huge amount of time and money into a blockbuster-budget game and muck up something so obvious and avoidable - It's not 2001 when companies were still figuring out the ins-and-outs of dual stick controls. This has gone from a dead-cert purchase to a "wait-and-see" situation for me.
The real issue is the broader media not being technically sound enough to notice, or care that much about it. Capcom will be more than happy with that 90+ metacritic and not be pressed to address this issue.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the "Xbox controls issues" are also present on PC if you use an Xbox controller instead of mouse and keyboard. At least what I experienced during the demo felt exactly like how people are describing the Xbox controls issues. Really hope they fix it cause that was not fun and I just gave up and never finished the demo.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there were some acceleration issues, which could be really bad in the original trilogy because the cam only moved 4-ways. I remember it being fixed somewhat, but the issue was the long input delay.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
I feel like the "Xbox controls issues" are also present on PC if you use an Xbox controller instead of mouse and keyboard. At least what I experienced during the demo felt exactly like how people are describing the Xbox controls issues. Really hope they fix it cause that was not fun and I just gave up and never finished the demo.

I've been using a dualsense on pc and the demo controls totally fine

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are not sensitive to this stuff. Admittedly, I'm one of them.
Me too. Had 0 issues with the Xbox version as far as controls go, I could parry/headshot anything in the thick of it, so I'll probably go with the Xbox version as my first playthrough, and hope they fuzzy foliage quality on the PS5 gets fixed up (admittedly that didnt really bother me much either)

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's weird because lots of reviews mention how great the re4 remake controls. i played the demo on ps5 and even in that version i had some issues with the controls. leon didn't feel weighty but responsive like in RE2 but he controlled kinda sluggish with a weird delay. last hope is the day 1 patch i guess, i just want the controls to be on par with RE2

Feb 24, 2018
So could someone actually explain what RT means in this context since the OP didn't (That usually retweet or Real-time) or what they blurry issue with the PS5 issue actually is?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Probably will still get it on PS5 just cause of the eventual VR mode. The PC version runs pretty good on my end (outside of the village portion which I'd probably have to optimize a bit further in the settings (maybe corpse reduction), if there was no VR version down the line. I'd probably get that.

Oct 30, 2017
Does wired vs wireless make a difference on Series X? It didn't feel markedly worse than the PS5 version to play to me. The VRR being better implemented and the image quality still puts it above the PS5 version for me personally.