• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried both demos. Take it from someone who has the PS4 versions, and who uploaded the Mercs video earlier -- the Switch ports look and play fine. Both play silky smooth. Both have all of the visual effects intact, making them among the most gorgeous games on the system.

I just think they should add an option to lock the frame rate in RE6. It never chugs, and your character is always super responsive, but the subtle unevenness in city scenes with tons of effects strains the eyes.

I was playing in handheld, btw.

I recommend them. It's smoother than New Donk City in Odyssey.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
I just played the Resi 5 demo, and wow, that has to be the shortest demo ever. Just Act 1-1, which is like nothing. Or maybe I'm too spoiled by the massive amount of content the DQXI demo has provided.
Nevermind... Concerning at least Resi 5, I didn't notice any grave performance issues in undocked mode. Seemed very smooth to me. There may have been some minor hiccups here and there, but nothing major. Felt very good overall. But the frame dips in Link's Awakening didn't bother me either, so take that as you will. Will definitely get it with the - 33% discount as I'll only ever play it in handheld mode anyway.

Nov 21, 2017
Played RE6 for the first time, and... me no like this.

When is falling on the ground on purpose helpful? Am I playing this wrong? I think this game may be too fast paced for me

Also the Leon part of the demo was basically just a long Quick Time event.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Played through both demos in handheld and thought the performance was fine. Definitely noticed the drops in RE6, but it never felt bad or unplayable to me. The sacrifices made are worth it to be able to play these games on the go.

That said, I'm morbidly curious to know how the framerate is when playing splitscreen. Now that I can imagine feeling pretty bad.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
RE Revelations had gyro aiming why has all the new ports no gyro? It seems Capcom did not even try to make these games valueable.

RE6 runs realy bad, to be honest. Like, frequently in the low 20's bad.

RE5 is not great either. Performance is similar to PS3 version and nowhere near as solid as 360 version.

Pretty disappointing, to be honest. Hopefully the final version performs better because I'm not holding my breath for patches.

You say its bad, other say its 50+ and looks great. Where is the truth?

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Played Resi 6 demo in handheld mode, thankfully longer than 5's (not really a high bar to clear, but nvm). Also felt very smooth, I'd say a bit more stable than 5. But neither of them a "slideshow", as some people made them out to be. Also the image quality of Resi 6 is superb on the Switch's screen. Overall the more impressive of the two ports.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I remember salivating over RE5 and its graphics 10 years ago.

playing a full blown version of the game on my switch lite feels like dark wizardry.
I'm thinking of jumping back in. Haven't played 5 in years and having it portable on the bedside table sounds like a dream. Is it still looking as good as it was 10 years ago?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
RE Revelations had gyro aiming why has all the new ports no gyro? It seems Capcom did not even try to make these games valueable.

There are framerate videos on YouTube. It only reaches 50+ if you look at the sky or the ground. It's nowhere near 50 (or even 40) during real gameplay.

Both games do look great, though.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Played RE6 for the first time, and... me no like this.

When is falling on the ground on purpose helpful? Am I playing this wrong? I think this game may be too fast paced for me

Also the Leon part of the demo was basically just a long Quick Time event.
Mash the action button the moment you're knocked down and you'll instantly somersault back to your feet. :)

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
both look and run good, shame they arent good games imo. give us dmc3, 4 and dead rising and call it a day capcom

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
When I was playing the RE5 demo, right after the part where you get your weapons and it plays short scene with the dead animal, the audio just turned to this constant buzzing sound. Trying to get back to the Home menu was delayed, and when I did, I couldn't move the cursor. Trying to put my Switch into sleep mode wouldn't work either. I had to shutdown my Switch and restart it to make the noise stop and for things to get back to normal.

Played some stuff afterwards (not the demo) and everything was fine. Very weird.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys are insane. RE6 runs fantastically in handheld.

I gotta wonder if the Australian demo is a different build from the US one because saying it runs like a "slideshow" is just factually incorrect.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man...these ports are really not very good but they could be fixed. Capcom made some very strange choices. The loss in visual effects in RE5 is especially irritating but it's the performance that hurts the most.

With some tweaks to the settings these could be good ports...

360 version > Switch (for RE5 only)

The post you quoted is much closer to reality, I will say that.

Video coming soon.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man...these ports are really not very good but they could be fixed. Capcom made some very strange choices. The loss in visual effects in RE5 is especially irritating but it's the performance that hurts the most.

With some tweaks to the settings these could be good ports...

360 version > Switch (for RE5 only)

It goes to show that some really don't care how bad a port is and they'll claim it as ''awesome'' when in fact it's pretty garbo. Or maybe it's just very low standards.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Tried the demo on my original Switch earlier today and on my brothers Switch 2019 10 minutes ago. I don't know but it ran smoother on the new switch compared to my old one. Not a huge upgrade but it never went as low as it it did on my unit

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Tried both demos yesterday in portable mode and honestly, they play/perform ok. Not great, but acceptably.

I watched DF's video afterwards because I was curious what the experts would make of the resolution and performance. It sounds like they're so close on RE5 where if they just capped the frame rate at 30 fps, it'd be fine. RE6 is a bit rougher, but maybe a cap there could help too?

The real question is will Capcom bother to make improvements to either game? They could be fine with the ports as-is - an aiming issue in RE4 was never fixed - but I don't know if there's been any precedent to suggest otherwise. Were Revelations 1 or 2 ever patched for anything?

EDIT: Specified that I tried both demos in portable mode only.

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm not really sensitive to frame drops because I played RE5 undocked and noticed 0 drops.

Will try RE6 soon.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Now I finally understand why they say it's impossible to port MHW to Switch -- it's because Capcom is too incompetent to do it. This poor excuse of a port is evidence of that.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys are insane. RE6 runs fantastically in handheld.

I gotta wonder if the Australian demo is a different build from the US one because saying it runs like a "slideshow" is just factually incorrect.

No, they're just looking for attention. US demo of 6 runs great, too.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm not really sensitive to frame drops because I played RE5 undocked and noticed 0 drops.

Will try RE6 soon.
Did you play portable or docked?

I did noticed the framedrops when I was swarmed with enemies, but...I've seen worse. IMO Capcom should have tweaked the settings a little bit to make it rock solid 30fps.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Bought resident evil 4 yesterday because I haven't replayed it for 10 years . But after watching DF video i am not bothering with these shitty ports , I could play them on my PS4 if i wanted .

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gave both of these a shot.

I'm definitely done with RE5. Played it a ton on Xbox 360 back in the day - infact it might be my most ever re-played game - but I found the controls a bit jarring and the performance just OK here. It's just not a game I think I can ever go back to now.

I had and continue to have some major issues with RE6, but I think I enjoyed its demo more than RE5 on Switch. Feels like it will be a better fit for picking it up to run through a level or 2 or whatever. I'm surprised to read people praising the performance though because I thought it felt pretty choppy.
I absolutely adore RE5 and it's definitely my most replayed game ever. Me and my friend replay it once a year and I can see replaying it for many more years to come :3

markabi

Oct 14, 2019
in short : RE5 is better than RE6. RE6 has better graphics while RE5 has better frame rate.

i'm RE fan. i already purchased RE4, RE0, RER2. and yesterday i purchased both RE5 and RE6.

i completed RE4 on switch more than 5 times, unlocked all weapons. it was my favorite game.

yesterday i purchased both RE5 and RE6 with discount ($20.01 each game) for having RE4.

RE5 is old, i never played it before. i tried demo and it was very good game in my hands. graphics still good and framerate was more than enough at least for me.

RE6 has awesome graphics on switch, but low frame rate sometimes is noticeable, however it's still good enough for most players.

RE6 is far away from RE4 and RE5 style. graphically it's much better and all time action game.

RE5 is closer to RE4, buy/sell items and weapons upgrade is most interesting thing (as single player).
RE6 is closer to RER2. good graphics nothing more.

if i want to vote for one, RE5 will pass RE6.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Interested in RE6 to play mercenaries on the go, but is it know if I will I have to play the campain to unlock all levels?

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for bumping, this is the most recent relevant thread I could find.
I played the demos for both RE5 and RE6 on Switch. This is my first time with either game and based on the demos I cannot understand why 5 is considered to be the superior experience? To me 6 felt superior in almost every way whereas 5 felt almost antiquated in comparison.
Did people just prefer more of 4's style of gameplay - which 5 seems to just replicate - and where they put off by 6's more streamlined approach? Did they not like feeling more powerful and less vulnerable?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sorry for bumping, this is the most recent relevant thread I could find.
I played the demos for both RE5 and RE6 on Switch. This is my first time with either game and based on the demos I cannot understand why 5 is considered to be the superior experience? To me 6 felt superior in almost every way whereas 5 felt almost antiquated in comparison.
Did people just prefer more of 4's style of gameplay - which 5 seems to just replicate - and where they put off by 6's more streamlined approach? Did they not like feeling more powerful and less vulnerable?

RE5 is definitely more familiar and a tighter campaign (The Benefit of having just one campaign vs several).
RE6 definitely got a bit of flack for being a bit too different with a lot more moves on display, but that's also why a lot of people such as me love it. As you said yourself there's a lot more going on gameplay mechanics wise in Re6 that really benefits the game. But even I have to admit there's more than a few spots in the campaign that are a bit rough. However, it's definitely not the DMC2 style travesty some try to say it is. If you're already enjoying just that demo (Considering Chris's campaign is the most actiony of them all) you'll probably enjoy the full-game.

Interested in RE6 to play mercenaries on the go, but is it know if I will I have to play the campain to unlock all levels?
All of the Levels are there. I think only Ada is still locked behind playing the campaign (Carla as well as you need all characters to unlock her)
Everyone else is unlockable by scoring a B on each level.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
All of the Levels are there. I think only Ada is still locked behind playing the campaign (Carla as well as you need all characters to unlock her)
Everyone else is unlockable by scoring a B on each level.
Cool thanks, IIRC Ada's campain is playable from the start so it won't be a long road. I like RE6 but not ready to make yet another full run of the campain ^^

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Cool thanks, IIRC Ada's campain is playable from the start so it won't be a long road. I like RE6 but not ready to make yet another full run of the campain ^^

Pro Tip, If you want to run through things quickly. You can skip to the very end of each level via chapter select and it will count as a full level completion (This is a leftover from it being a patch back at release, the game lets you skip to any point of a chapter in a level even if you haven't beat it as it only checks to see that you unlocked the level).
You can cut the campaign time by more than Half doing that.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Pro Tip, If you want to run through things quickly. You can skip to the very end of each level via chapter select and it will count as a full level completion (This is a leftover from it being a patch back at release, the game lets you skip to any point of a chapter in a level even if you haven't beat it as it only checks to see that you unlocked the level).
You can cut the campaign time by more than Half doing that.
Wow, was this already present in the PS4 remaster? Thanks for the tip !

Oct 26, 2017
RE5 is definitely more familiar and a tighter campaign (The Benefit of having just one campaign vs several).
RE6 definitely got a bit of flack for being a bit too different with a lot more moves on display, but that's also why a lot of people such as me love it. As you said yourself there's a lot more going on gameplay mechanics wise in Re6 that really benefits the game. But even I have to admit there's more than a few spots in the campaign that are a bit rough. However, it's definitely not the DMC2 style travesty some try to say it is. If you're already enjoying just that demo (Considering Chris's campaign is the most actiony of them all) you'll probably enjoy the full-game.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I'll get 6 and skip 5 as it just felt like more of 4 to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing to those who fell in love with 4's gameplay but I appreciate variety in my games and 6 feels much more fresh in comparison.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I made an interesting discovery yesterday. If you buy the physical edition of Origins Collection, the digital download of REmake entitles you to the 5 and 6 preorder discounts.

I got Origins Collection for $24 from Best Buy thanks to GCU, so I got both games for basically $12 apiece. It looks like it's still on sale for $29.99 for anyone else who wants to take advantage.

Mos Def

Sep 17, 2019
I am playing RE6 in docked mode and there are some annoying fps drops, cant even get a stable 30fps for a minute.

Last edited: