• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Just got done with the RE5 Demo, key things

- Your save carries over to the final game (It's only the first level on the first difficulty)
- It's carrying the graphical upgrades from PS4/X1 so it's running unlocked but stays at a decent level of FPS (I'm not the best at this, but it seemed a consistent 30+)

Very impressed with this port, since I didn't expect 60FPS unless they kept it very similar to the 360/PS3 release in-terms of graphics.

What graphical upgrades did RE5 and 6 get on PS4 and XBO? Wonder if them being the PS360 versions but at a locked 1080p and 60fps would've been better.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just got done with the RE6 demo. I'm VERY impressed with that one. Runs better than RE5 and has a lot of new features to help new players. Plus the addition of Costumes for Campaign is amazing. Outside of not holding a locked 60FPS, it's effectively the definitive version of the game.
EGfyHTYVUAAgGio.jpg

how does the switch ports hold up against the last generation versions?
What graphical upgrades did RE5 and 6 get on PS4 and XBO? Wonder if them being the PS360 versions but at a locked 1080p and 60fps would've been better.

There's better lighting and higher quality models. Resident Evil 5 seems to stick at 30+ If on docked while RE6 holds similarly if not better depending on what's going on (This is likely due to QLOC doing an amazing job on the PC port which all newer ports are based off of).

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Just got done with the RE6 demo. I'm VERY impressed with that one. Runs better than RE5 and has a lot of new features to help new players. Plus the addition of Costumes for Campaign is amazing. Outside of not holding a locked 60FPS, it's effectively the definitive version of the game.

There's better lighting and higher quality models. Resident Evil 5 seems to stick at 30+, while RE6 holds 45-60 depending on what's going on (This is likely due to QLOC doing an amazing job on the PC port which all newer ports are based off of).

Good, can't wait to get home and try both demos out!

Do both have no AA? I know that last s has AA (PS3 had horrible blurring)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
There's better lighting and higher quality models. Resident Evil 5 seems to stick at 30+, while RE6 holds 45-60 depending on what's going on (This is likely due to QLOC doing an amazing job on the PC port which all newer ports are based off of).
Sounds about right. 6 has that weird thing on the PS4 as well where it runs better than 5 for some reason, most likely down to how good 6's port is as you said. I can't wait to try the demos for myself, especially 6 as that does sound pretty darn awesome, especially when considering last gen couldn't have 6 hold 30FPS and now we have a handheld version that's far better.

Oct 26, 2017
EGfyHTYVUAAgGio.jpg

Didn't Q-LOC do the PS4 and XBO versions? They're Capcom's go-to PS360 remaster team aren't they?

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
The demo version of RE6 definitely didn't run at 45-60 fps in handheld mode. Looked like sub 30 even.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
My shots

I died in the area where you get swarmed after throwing a grenade, prompting an achievement to pop!

Oct 27, 2017
Gave both of these a shot.

I'm definitely done with RE5. Played it a ton on Xbox 360 back in the day - infact it might be my most ever re-played game - but I found the controls a bit jarring and the performance just OK here. It's just not a game I think I can ever go back to now.

I had and continue to have some major issues with RE6, but I think I enjoyed its demo more than RE5 on Switch. Feels like it will be a better fit for picking it up to run through a level or 2 or whatever. I'm surprised to read people praising the performance though because I thought it felt pretty choppy.

Oct 26, 2017
RE6 runs like Absolute dogshit. Holy shit. At times it looks like a freaking slideshow. Maybe one of the worst ports yet.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I played the RE5 demo and while it looks pretty sharp, the frame rate is all over the place. They need a 30fps cap. If they add that I might pick it up.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also own the Shield TV port of Resident Evil 5, and the Switch version is SOO much better. Not only is it higher resolution, it has a much better framerate than the Shield version too. Dat Android overhead. Plus, we never actually got multiplayer on Resi 5 on Shield... I'm sure it was promised but it never happened.

Oct 26, 2017
At every point after you get off the streets. Like in some firefights you can count the FPS on one hand. It is a complete and utter mess. Mind you I only played portable, but this is one of the most stuttery games I played on Switch. Hell even if it's true that the final version runs around 10fps faster, that would still be sub 20 in those sections.

Dreadful shit.

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
Played the re6 demo both docked and portable.This game is not smooth at all. Seems worse than the PS360 version. It's feel like its sub 30fps most of the time.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can you play the re6 demo Co-op??
Also why can't I downloaded it from the mobile eShop site :\ not seeing an option booo

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I was looking forward to RE6 on switch, but after seeing the vgtech RE5 frame rate video on switch, I think I'll pass. The frame rate was a constant 24 fps, that's worse than the PS3 and 360 version.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Played the re6 demo both docked and portable.This game is not smooth at all. Seems worse than the PS360 version. It's feel like its sub 30fps most of the time.

Weird, I'm playing the RE6 demo docked and I'm impressed by it. And this is someone who did notice performance issues with the RE: Revelations games that others seemed to ignore.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Wow, just tried both demos and the framerate is incredibly unstable, frequently drowning into dog shit territory.
Wasn't going to buy it anyway as I was merely curious, but if purchasing it was my intention first and foremost then I wouldn't anymore...

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Seeing impressions that totally contradict is confusing. Someone says they're both solid and someone says they're both awful. Someone says 5 plays okay, but 6 plays better.

*James Dean, "You're tearing me apart!" *

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing impressions that totally contradict is confusing. Someone says they're both solid and someone says they're both awful. Someone says 5 plays okay, but 6 plays better.

RE5 at least stays over 30 for most of the time. RE6 runs at 20 FPS on average with frequent dips to single digit territory. Hell the Switch port might be legit the worst version of RE6 released so far. Capcom is pulling out all the stops here.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

It's my own fault but I preordered RE6 after seeing the good impressions. Hopefully performance is solid but thankfully I'm not super sensitive to frame drops.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017

I've kind of given up on trusting anything said from people except from certain sources like Digital Foundry or something. A lot of Switch owners don't care and just want everything ported for portability, which is fine, but framerate takes a back seat to that a lot.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

They are two of the most polarising games ever. Do yourself a favour and just play the demos as nobody's opinion is really trustworthy on this

EDIT: sorry I thought you meant the games themselves not the performance

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading the demos now. Hopefully I don't mind the performance much. On one hand, I'm the kind of person who plays Wolfenstein: Youngblood on Switch and the Wii Call of Duty games with few complaints, but on the other hand, 60FPS for these specific games on PC and modern consoles has spoiled me...

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Will at least look at RE5 demo in the near future. RE5 is now currently the only numbered title that I haven't played in some form, so I will likely check it out on Switch. Maybe I will end up getting the RE4-6 collection sometime.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
RE5 at least stays over 30 for most of the time. RE6 runs at 20 FPS on average with frequent dips to single digit territory. Hell the Switch port might be legit the worst version of RE6 released so far. Capcom is pulling out all the stops here.

I'm personally confused because that doesn't mesh with this post:

EGfyHTYVUAAgGio.jpg

Which unless I'm reading that wrong seems to say RE6 is 45-60fps throughout.

Haven't been able to try the demo myself yet.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm no verified source on FPS, but I'm unsure it's as bad as boris_feinbrand is saying at all. Are you sure you're not mixing up RE5 and RE6, as the only moment where I had very bad performance was in Public Assembly when I had a ton of Majini, the executioner swinging, and an explosion going of.

I've gone through both demos twice now and haven't been able to replicate that level of low performance outside that area.

Thankfully Demos are free so people can see for themselves. But the performance of RE6 is night and day from PS3 and 360 which I have on hand.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I remember salivating over RE5 and its graphics 10 years ago.

playing a full blown version of the game on my switch lite feels like dark wizardry.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Ok, looking at some frame rate tests. It seems both ports hold 28+ FPS mostly with 30-40 on docked. So my bad day for saying they went higher, as when things are unlocked it gets kinda hard to gauge that's still a night and day difference from last gen performance though and definitely not 20fps

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, looking at some frame rate tests. It seems both ports hold 28+ FPS mostly with 30-40 on docked. So my bad day for saying they went higher, as when things are unlocked it gets kinda hard to gauge that's still a night and day difference from last gen performance though and definitely not 20fps

Thanks for the follow up. It's definitely tough to tell between the 40s and 50s, I agree.

And usually undocked games run better than docked, the exceptions being when the resolution is the same in both modes (eg Bayonetta). So that sounds like handheld performance will be fairly good.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
RE6 runs realy bad, to be honest. Like, frequently in the low 20's bad.

RE5 is not great either. Performance is similar to PS3 version and nowhere near as solid as 360 version.

Pretty disappointing, to be honest. Hopefully the final version performs better because I'm not holding my breath for patches.