• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Only played the demos but I don't get why RE5 is loved and RE6 hated.

Edit: also lol at the thread title!
Mainly? 6 goes too far in its own direction. Also, it does nothing to teach you how to enjoy it.

Personally, it isn't what I wanted from a Resident Evil game. If you're into cinematic action games like DMC? I'd recommend it. I'm not. I love RE4 and RE5 is more like that than RE6 was.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Only played the demos but I don't get why RE5 is loved and RE6 hated.

Edit: also lol at the thread title!
I dont love RE5 but its clear why its so popular, coming from the success of RE4 (and the Movies) the hype was real: amazing trailers, next gen graphics,Chris new design, Wesker etc.

its a good game, it just doesn't reach 4s heighs and lacks Mikami vision/direction imo, and RE5 was the game that abandoned all pretense of being survival horror to become the developers hollywood action movie, wich continued on the divisive RE6.

RE6 was certainly more ambitious than 5 , and came from the massive success of it, 6 had some intersting mechanics and diehard fans but, it shits on the series legacy imo even as an action game it has massive problems game critics were appalled by a new AAA third person shooter

But at least RE5 knows its just 4.5

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I played the crap out of RE5, but I only went through RE6 once. I think my expectations were for it to play and feel like 5, but it didn't. And like others have said, the game does a lousy job of telling the player how it expects you to play for success. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who tried playing it like 4 and 5, and found the game to feel clunky and just not fun.

The campaign I expected (hoped) I would love the most, Leon's, was the one I liked the least. Meanwhile, the one I enjoyed the most was the one that felt the least like an RE game, Chris'. I was indifferent to Jake's.

I ended up taking advantage of the Amazon deal ($39.99 shipped) since that's a really good price-per-game. Replaying 4 and 5 are givens, but I'll also give 6 another chance and maybe give the manual and controls a good read so that I will have more fun this time around.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Loving both of these on Switch, but uhhh, I don't see Piers' default outfit in Mercs - for some reason it's his NASCAR outfit starting out (Costume 1). Is this a glitch?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Sherry and Helena and Ada aren't available from the start in Mercs. Anyone know why? I don't remember how it worked in the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see - you have to unlock them:

1. Helena (Mercs) - Score a B Rank or Higher in Urban Chaos.
  2. Piers (Mercs) - Score a B Rank or Higher in Steel Beast.
  3. Sherry (Mercs) - Score a B Rank or Higher in Mining the Depths.
  4. Ada (Mercs) - Complete Ada's Campaign.
  5. Carla (Mercs) - Unlock all other characters and their costumes
Piers Costume 1 being unlocked by default is probably a demo save bonus.

Oct 25, 2017
Are those levels unlocked from the beginning or no?

Also BLECH. Was hoping 6 wouldn't need me to play all of its ass to get to the fun stuff.

How does 6 run?

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I was (am still) excited to replay these along with 4 but the price is really putting me off - RE5 being ÂŁ30 on the Switch but ÂŁ15.99 on the PS4 is tough to swallow, especially when I can buy the triple pack on PS4 for ÂŁ40 all in.

Is there any word of a release of the physical triple pack in the Europe? Alternatively, if I acquire a US physical copy, will I be able to use the codes on my UK profile or would I need to create a US one?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

Also BLECH. Was hoping 6 wouldn't need me to play all of its ass to get to the fun stuff.

How does 6 run?
Nope.

Replaying 4 and 5 are givens, but I'll also give 6 another chance and maybe give the manual and controls a good read so that I will have more fun this time around.
I don't think RE6 teaches you everything in game or even in the manual. It has a lot of deep stuff and a lot of, I assume, non intentional mechanics that makes it really fun action game.
Don't see the game even explaining zombies stagger levels and invincible moves, let alone things like switch fire, buffered counters, etc...

You're better off looking stuff up on YouTube. Treat it like looking up mechanics in a fighting game lol.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
RE6 has one of the worst tutorials in gaming. It's entirely possible to get through the entire game without learning how to propely play it, resulting in an abysmal experience.
Yep, RE6 is a super-fun game when you know how to play it, but the game doesn't teach the player.

In essence, everything boils down to the action button and the many different maneuvers it enables. You can duck in place, sprint, dive (forward and backwards), slide on the ground, somersault out of the way, roll to the sides, crawl backwards, etc.

By squeezing both triggers, you can perform quick shots that auto-target enemies, even ones behind you. Keep tapping them while dual-wielding and you'll rotate between targets.

That comes at the cost of your stamina bar, so it's not over-powered. Oh, and that stamina bar allows you to perform melee moves without stunning enemies. So you can kick and punch at any time. There are even melee moves for when you're sprinting, i.e. Sherry's running jump-kick for instant cranial combustion.

But there are also still special over-the-top context-sensitive melee moves as well, so it's still worthwhile to pop people in the face, limbs, etc. There are also ground finishers and even ledge takedowns and the ability to push people off rooftops and bridges.

But unique to RE6, there are also enemies who transform multiple parts of their body. You can have a j'avo spawn grasshopper legs combined with extendable arms and shield arms, etc. The enemy variety is astonishing.

Oh, and there are perfect parries with special camera zoom-ins, lol. And while the shortcut eludes my memory at the moment, there's a way to auto-combine herbs and auto-load your pills tablet (you pop herb tablets, one at a time, which is handy since it replenishes your health bar piecemeal, giving you more control).

On a side note, the full game seems to run smoother than the demo. I replayed 1-1 in Chris and the framerate looks smoother than I recall it looking in the demo. Maybe I just acclimated? While the framerate is dicey at times, it never actually -slows,- and it's always 100 percent playable. The actual image quality is gorgeous, too. Best on Switch.

Game is a blast. I swear, RE6 keeps getting better each time I play it. This game really is a misunderstood masterpiece of sorts. And the scale of it is so epic. Four campaigns, three theaters of war, past and present scenarios, seven protagonists, two major villains competing with each other. RE6 is the Resident Evil equivalent of Star Wars, ha.

I want REVIII to basically be RE6-II.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
RE5 still drops frames all over the place. It's nothing close to a locked 60. It spends far more time below 60 than at it, and if you're sensitive to uneven frame times (which I am!) you'll be wishing it had a 30 fps lock like me. Again, probably best to wait for an actual analysis, but my eyes don't lie about this stuff and if I could train myself not to notice it, I would.

And the IQ is pretty garbage. It's *sharp* sure, given the lack of motion blur and lack of AA, but I wouldn't say those add up to good IQ.

It plays *great* with gyro though, no doubt. I'm still trying to rewire my brain to the controls (why is shoot on Y?) and haven't found one of the setups that makes sense to my RE4 on a gamecube pad brain. I love playing games like this on split joycons and its a really refreshing way to replay the game.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Why didn't they patch the demos?
I ended the demo of RE6 at the same stage as I quit the PC version.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
So how do you join a friend in an online lobby? Didn't see the option last night and the invite thing doesn't work.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm legitimately impressed with how well No Mercy runs on switch. While I have a bad eye for these things, it seems to hold up quite well and never gets to any notoriously low FPS.

Resident Evil 5 or 6, or both?

Can't say with 100% certainty as I have a bad eye for these things. But if these don't run even slightly better than the demo's i'll be shocked.
As the demo's seem to be the E3 demo's exactly but with the added Save Feature stuff.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
seems pretty "stable" to me, but I'm at the first Oroboros boas and the game doesn't go as low as it did on the demo
I can't speak to whether RE5 runs better overall than the demo or not, and again, I'll encourage everyone to wait for framerate analysis from a trusted source to confirm if there's any improvement over the demo, but it's far from stable. There's a wide range between the highs and lows.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever framerate this is, I think these games look gorgeous on Switch and play beautifully. Seems smoother than the demos, too, having just run through the outdoor city chapter in Chris' chapter twice (once as Chris, again as Piers).

These are already among my favorite Switch purchases. I can't believe I'm playing these games portably.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Gyro aiming in RE5 is fantastic.
That much I can wholeheartedly agree on. I jumped through a lot of hoops back in the day to get the PC version working with motion controls and it was worth it. Having them natively supported now is fantastic and the RE4 and on style of aiming fits gyro controls as well as they fit any game.

HINT HINT HINT CAPCOM.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I like playing it docked and having the joycon split and using gyro. Reminds me of Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition. I like that there isn't a reticle too.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, RE6 is a super-fun game when you know how to play it, but the game doesn't teach the player.
Yep. I actually pased on the full game back when it came out due to my terrible time with the demo. t wasn't until years later when I got the game for dirt cheap that I would finally play the full game and (eventually) come to see how great it is. Even then, I didn't catch on to how to play until part way through my second campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
We get framerate analysis for the demos in like a day but nothing for the actual release. :/

I want to know if RE6 runs like garbage or not dangit

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
This was a bit tempting to me but the price is too much for games that are currently $5 each on PC.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for anyone eyeing the triple pack on Switch, if you pull it up on Amazon it appears to be $40 after the $10 off digital coupon on the product page.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
What I mean is that I'm currently playing other games and won't play this one until it gets patched. I have no plans to return it.
Still going to keep it shrink wrapped when you find out they won't patch it?

FYI for anyone eyeing the triple pack on Switch, if you pull it up on Amazon it appears to be $40 after the $10 off digital coupon on the product page.

Boo, got it for $50 and it just came out. Anyway to appeal that on Amazon?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

How does 6 run?

All of the Merc levels are unlocked from the beginning. You just have to unlock the characters.

As for the Campaigns, you can use a trick that has been there since the patches on 360. When you pick a level, you can select the last chapter and beat it. Rinse and repeat for every level.
This will count as fully completing the level for any unlocks and lets you save a lot of time playing the campaigns if you've played them a lot before.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
All of the Merc levels are unlocked from the beginning. You just have to unlock the characters.

As for the Campaigns, you can use a trick that has been there since the patches on 360. When you pick a level, you can select the last chapter and beat it. Rinse and repeat for every level.
This will count as fully completing the level for any unlocks and lets you save a lot of time playing the campaigns if you've played them a lot before.
What??? I'm tempted to do this lol but it'll kill the fun for me as this is my first time through it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What??? I'm tempted to do this lol but it'll kill the fun for me as this is my first time through it.

If it's your first play-through I would advise against that method. As it'll skip large chunks of story and some of the crazier moments people love the game for.
However, I would recommend playing the game in the order of

Leon 1, Chris 1, Jake 1, Ada 1, Leon 2, Chris 2, Jake 2, Ada 2, etc.

All the campaigns sync with one another back and forth outside some instances where they do their own things.
This is one of the best ways to keep up the variety of the game as well and finish all the campaigns back to back (which all revolve around each other in one way or another).

Think of it as a TV Show Format in this order.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
If it's your first play-through I would advise against that method. As it'll skip large chunks of story and some of the crazier moments people love the game for.
However, I would recommend playing the game in the order of

Leon 1, Chris 1, Jake 1, Ada 1, Leon 2, Chris 2, Jake 2, Ada 2, etc.

All the campaigns sync with one another back and forth outside some instances where they do their own things.
This is one of the best ways to keep up the variety of the game as well and finish all the campaigns back to back (which all revolve around each other in one way or another).

Think of it as a TV Show Format in this order.
Thanks for the tip! Wish I had known before finishing Leon's campaign and halfway through Chris.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I recorded a couple of videos of RE6 on Switch.

No Mercy Duo (with voice commentary):

Mercenaries Duo (with voice commentary):

It plays fine, and I'd say No Mercy in RE6 plays better than No Mercy in RE5 (I'm not sure if it's due to an overall higher framerate, or due to a more stable framerate, even though it doesn't go very high).

I haven't been able to find many changes done to the RE6 Switch port compared to other ports. The addition of costumes in the campaign is definitely the big one (though it's a huge bummer the costumes don't show up in cutscenes as that would be fun). I noticed they've removed the option to select something like "I'm here for events" or "I'm playing for high scores" when creating a lobby, but that's a trivial change which doesn't matter. When joining a friend in the campaign, you can choose to join as Agent Hunt (instead of searching through the Agent Hunt menu), which is a nice convenience.

Overall, these are good ports and it's nice to be able to play these games on the go, but given the choice, I'd play more of the PC version.

By the way, there's one simple trick for unlocking the bonus costumes very easily. If you complete a stage in No Mercy Mercenaries, you unlock all costumes for that character. If you don't enjoy the mode or if you want to speed it up, just choose Catacombs every time and go prone under the spinning blades. Enemies will keep running into the blades and you'll get enough points for the S rank without doing anything. You don't even need to collect time bonuses.

Oct 25, 2017
It plays fine, and I'd say No Mercy in RE6 plays better than No Mercy in RE5 (I'm not sure if it's due to an overall higher framerate, or due to a more stable framerate, even though it doesn't go very high
So re6, you're saying, runs better than 5?
I've been really worried about it due to the demo running like absolute turd, but if that's the case then awesome. If No Mercy runs good then I suppose probably not much to worry about at all.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
So re6, you're saying, runs better than 5?
I've been really worried about it due to the demo running like absolute turd, but if that's the case then awesome. If No Mercy runs good then I suppose probably not much to worry about at all.
I would need to see a framerate counter to really tell. I think it's one of these two:
- RE6 has a higher framerate than RE5.
- RE6 has a similar or worse framerate than RE5, but it doesn't vary as much, making it feel more consistent.

I'm not completely sure which one it is out of those two. I can tell both ports drop to the 20s more often than I'd like, and I also know both ports does reach 40s occasionally.

I wouldn't say either port runs great, but they're playable. And I did get the impression No Mercy runs better on the RE6 (but again, it could be due to a more consistent framerate rather than a better framerate).

Oct 25, 2017
I would need to see a framerate counter to really tell. I think it's one of these two:
- RE6 has a higher framerate than RE5.
- RE6 has a similar or worse framerate than RE5, but it doesn't vary as much, making it feel more consistent.

I'm not completely sure which one it is out of those two. I can tell both ports drop to the 20s more often than I'd like, and I also know both ports does reach 40s occasionally.

I wouldn't say either port runs great, but they're playable. And I did get the impression No Mercy runs better on the RE6 (but again, it could be due to a more consistent framerate rather than a better framerate).
I don't necessarily mind when framerate varies above 30fps; I used to play PC on a pretty weak system so I'm still used to an experience where the framerate will vary a lot haha. But playing below 30 is ass, and if it's common to see it drop under 30 outside of loading new zones then that's a deal breaker for me. I'd say I'm satisfied with RE5 performance, so it sounds like I'd be fine with RE6.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if any of the campaigns start off with a big-ish area without enemies that I can teach my wife the controls in?