• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
5 is one of the best Coop games ever. I got it on 360 and PC. And I'd get it in a heartbeat for Switch as well. Coop and Mercs on the go? Would be lovely.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was half the game that RE4 was but at-least it was fun Co op game and it looked gorgeous when it came out. So even if i wish other entries sold more, this was still a good game and it earned it's sales. The real tragedy here is that RE6 sold that much.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Original RE2 didn't sell more than Original RE1?

It sold a lot more but Capcom has a weird way of counting their game. The number you saw ( 4.9 million ) is only from vanilla PS game. It didn't even include Dual shock version, let alone re-release on another machine.

Capcom just start combining multiple SKU of the same game recently ( eg - RE7 )

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It sold a lot more but Capcom has a weird way of counting their game. The number you saw ( 4.9 million ) is only from vanilla PS game. It didn't even include Dual shock version, let alone re-release on another machine.

I wonder how they counter the Revelation sales, I thought it sold more than 1.7 mi.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's see those numbers next year. RE2 will obliterate every other RE.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a more consistent experience than RE4. RE4 suffers from too many lows for it to be regarded as the best game in the franchise but I do appreciate how it revamped the formula for the series entirely. RE4 build upon that but had the mandated co-op as its most egregious flaws but beyond that, I think it's likely the 2nd best RE game after RE7, with RE4 bring 4th. So deserved.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Played it for the first time last month, co-op with a friend. As a co-op experience, it's great. As a game, it's pretty fun for the first half, and then gets incredibly mediocre int he second half. All of the unique aspects of the world design and setting that were in the first few chapters give way to boring ass factories and corridors.

It's a solid enough game, but definitely has a bit of that "everything is more fun in co-op" leeway afforded to it.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. Only played it in co-op and it was easily one of the best games of the last generation. Couldn't believe they actually made that work with RE, but there's definitely something special about the whole thing when you're playing with someone. Not surprised at all it's the best selling. First big RE on PS3/360, return of The Chris, co-op etc.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These numbers add up to roughly 65m .... Yet Franchise sales are at 86m.

Just goes to show how much missing data is there. 20m is a huge gap.

Especially when you consider the older titles. I bet Capcom dont count re-releases or ports of older games. Like that RE1,2,3 number is probably just for the PS1 Launch SKU. No Dreamcast,N64,Saturn,PC or other budget SKUs counted.

Yeah, there is definitely info missing. I don't think they count any of the PC sales in their list and there are also at least a few games not listed (probably because they didn't hit a million sales). The Darkside Chronicles, Umbrella Corp, deadly aim, the survivor series, and all the handheld ones.

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to guess it's not an exaggeration as the opinion is shared by many people and has been detailed why countless times, and rather it's just an opposing opinion.

I've never once seen an argument about RE6 that wasn't "it's not survival horror anymore" and didn't view it for what it actually is. That being a game that continues the story for a lot of fan favorite characters, introduces great new additions like Jake, and has the best mechanics of any over the shoulder game. Series had been going down the action route for years. Doesn't matter what people complain about though, because 5 & 6 are stil the best selling and continue to sell. Gameplay changed for later titles, but 6 will always have the core themes of RE more than 7 ever will.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Yea , there are a lot missing in the platinum list

Resident Evil 4 for example misses the following : PS3/X360 version , PC original version , PC Ultimate Edition

For RE2 case , I hoped that Capcom would reveal the true number of the original's sales due to the occasion of the Remake , but they still said that it sold 4.9M which is only the PS1 version according to platinum page
There are a ton of missing spinoff games from that list though.

Jan 4, 2018
Resident Evil 5 is the best RE ever.

Best soundtrack, best Mercenaries, best co-op, best multiplayer (Versus), best characters (Wesker aka the best RE character), huge content, incredible graphics even in 2019.
And it has the best RE quote :
"Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I can spare to play with you."

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ah makes sense, I could not imagine RE2 not outselling the 1st game ......

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting the Gold Edition just for the Chris/Jill stuff, but I couldn't access it from the start because I assume you needed to complete the base game, which I already did on another platform at the time. Is that still the same case with the re-released version on modern consoles?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It is a more consistent experience than RE4. RE4 suffers from too many lows for it to be regarded as the best game in the franchise but I do appreciate how it revamped the formula for the series entirely. RE4 build upon that but had the mandated co-op as its most egregious flaws but beyond that, I think it's likely the 2nd best RE game after RE7, with RE4 bring 4th. So deserved.

Nothing in 4 comes anywhere near the low of the god awful Ndesu turret sequence.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
RE5 is such a stupid but fun game. A lot of things about it are illogical but it's a blast to play especially with a friend.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Why do people keep trying to lump RE5 in with RE6? RE5 is a great game, RE6 is most definitely not. If they make another action RE game I hope it's closer to RE4 and RE5 than RE6...

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love RE5, but I still smart everytime I think about replaying that turret section where you have to be absolutely perfect, especially on Professional.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
I've been telling people for years that this is hands down the best Resident Evil game! People have asked me why I say this, and the answer is simple.....

******************M-E-R-C-E-N-A-R-I-E-S- M-O-D-E*************************

RE5's Mercenaries mode is the best in the series and has an enormous amount of replay value. I have invested over 1000hrs into RE5 for Mercs mode ONLY. It's already an incredibly challenging and rewarding game in single player, but when you add another partner and in the Gold Edition's case 3 other players, it becomes an insanely fun game! I'll keep banging this drum until the day I die. RE5 is one of the greatest games of all time and that is mainly because of Mercenaries mode. There is a reason why you still see people streaming the game quite a bit to this day. It's just that fucking good!

latest

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be awhile before we see another RE game pass 11 million. Wonder which game will do itz

Considering we have incomplete Data , it wouldn't be surprising if there is already one or two more 10m+ RE title.

Like WTF is making up that 20m GAP? If any of the titles there are noteworthy they would have crossed the 1m mark. And there arent too many RE titles that arent in the Platinum list anyway.

There are alot of different ports of Older games and Budgeted SKUs not being counted as well.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I've been telling people for years that this is hands down the best Resident Evil game! People have asked me why I say this, and the answer is simple.....

******************M-E-R-C-E-N-A-R-I-E-S- M-O-D-E*************************

RE5's Mercenaries mode is the best in the series and has an enormous amount of replay value. I have invested over 1000hrs into RE5 for Mercs mode ONLY. It's already an incredibly challenging and rewarding game in single player, but when you add another partner and in the Gold Edition's case 3 other players, it becomes an insanely fun game! I'll keep banging this drum until the day I die. RE5 is one of the greatest games of all time and that is mainly because of Mercenaries mode. There is a reason why you still see people streaming the game quite a bit to this day. It's just that fucking good!

latest

Back in 2009 I played it so much... I remember I was the second best non Wesker character in Public Assembly (Jill Battlesuit). When I finally get a PS4/Xbox I will have to buy this game again just because of Mercenaries United.

Oct 25, 2017
Deserved, 2nd favorite in the series after REmake.
Best co-op game ever and my single favorite gaming experience was doing a full playthrough with a friend on Professional difficulty.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Really enjoyed it at the time but attempted to replay it recently and I don't feel it holds up as well as 4... in fact it's pretty terrible. Also fuck the maintaining aspect ratio during spilt screen.. use my whole tv screen space please.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I feel like I used to see much more vitriol directed to RE5. But nowadays, people seem a lot more positive about it on the whole, and accepting of what it was.

Personally I've always enjoyed it and it's great to see it hit such great success. Well done to everybody who was involved! 11 million is a lot of punched boulders...

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
RE5 wouldn't consistently be selling more than RE4 because of RE4 clout. If you want to point at anything that helped the numbers so much. It's the coop.

That definitely a reason as well, but I think RE4's success and it's changed gameplay got the RE name into the mindshare of people who wouldn't have played it otherwise. I remember a ton of people back in college when RE5 came out that were playing it who definitely wouldn't have given it another thought otherwise. Probably people who would rebuy it later as well. I think combined is what made it such a sales powerhouse.

Didn't mean to sound like I was subtracting from RE5 though. I adore it and it's a great game in its own right.